Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

AGC wrote: »
    He has completed a law and politics degree. Do you just not acknowledge that??

He would not represent a large % of the country being in a position where the family would be extremely comfortable , but he is alongside many of our politicians in this regard. But keep the personal jabs going in.

@Thisregard, no you don't need a mortgage, I am just going off why posters are not showing support for him and it is what they are saying.

I do acknowledge that, but, is that why his political material in doors represents a CV rather applying for a job rather than a political reason for his election?

Do you acknowledge that his political material has for over two years referred to jack as a medical graduate and the P.R firm working on his behalf have also had the media confirm the same? Do you accept this is an untruth and people are a little more alert to politicians being economical with the truth?

He is now saying 'medical background'. People are aware of what's going on.

Jack keep saying he will bring honesty, integrity and vigor to politics. Do you acknowledge that making untruths calls all of those three in to question ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I do acknowledge that, but, is that why his political material in doors represents a CV rather applying for a job rather than a political reason for his election?

Do you acknowledge that his political material has for over two years referred to jack as a medical graduate and the P.R firm working on his behalf have also had the media confirm the same? Do you accept this is an untruth and people are a little more alert to politicians being economical with the truth?

He is now saying 'medical background'. People are aware of what's going on.

Jack keep saying he will bring honesty, integrity and vigor to politics. Do you acknowledge that making untruths calls all of those three in to question ?

I have no idea of a PR firm working on his behalf but obviously you are closer to the campaign.

If the material no longer says he is a medical graduate then he will answer those questions if raised. I would not say it brings into question all 3 above, no.

I don't know the guy at all, I have read up on him and other candidates, my show of support for him is what I think are meaningless arguments against him being elected - I would have valid reasons for not voting SF, Coppinger, Leo but using the arguments which have been used against Chambers wouldn't sway me away from him.

I know David and have supported him in his last 2 campaigns and I would hope when he and his canvassers are going door to door if he is asked in relation to Jack he isn't giving reasons like you are for him not to be given No. 1!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I don't know the guy at all, I have read up on him and other candidates, my show of support for him is what I think are meaningless arguments against him being elected - I would have valid reasons for not voting SF, Coppinger, Leo but using the arguments which have been used against Chambers wouldn't sway me away from him.

I know David and have supported him in his last 2 campaigns and I would hope when he and his canvassers are going door to door if he is asked in relation to Jack he isn't giving reasons like you are for him not to be given No. 1!!

That's fair enough, but where do you stand when Chambers' canvassers are using arguments like in this post as a reason to vote for him?
    hardCopy wrote: »
    One of the Chambers team called to my door during the locals.

"I'm canvassing on behalf of Jack Chambers, he's very concerned about access to local schools and about changes to the level crossings, he's following in his late uncle's footsteps"

*Blank face from me*

"His uncle Brian"

*Face still blank*

"Brian Lenihan was his uncle"

Me: "Oh right"

Do people really think that family connections are still a reason to vote for someone?

I have no idea of a PR firm working on his behalf but obviously you are closer to the campaign.

If the material no longer says he is a medical graduate then he will answer those questions if raised. I would not say it brings into question all 3 above, no.

David is simply saying one thing. He left the party a few months after the convention on the basis that when he asked himself if he could support the chosen candidate and if he himself would give Jack a number 1 against the other candidates, he said he couldn't and in addition to that, calls Jack's candidacy in to question on a host of reasons.

A general election is simply too serious for the old boys brigade to simply want one of their own in on the back of very little public service demonstration.

I do sense you are a gene pool FF voter or a default FF voter, and if I'm wrong I do apologise. I see the same arguments from the same people on the doors whom we know to be FF members in Dublin west. Your arguments in defense of Jack are valid, but alsoy consistent with gene FF voters. Again, I maybe totally wrong but just making the point that these responses are well rehearsed now by default FF voters. They have to be rehearsed, as Jack won't debate David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Renua woman caused a stir in Castleknock tennis club by sending an email to all members looking for support. Apology hastily issued by the club. So far she's a case study in how not to run a campaign!

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    Renua woman caused a stir in Castleknock tennis club by sending an email to all members looking for support. Apology hastily issued by the club. So far she's a case study in how not to run a campaign!

How did she get everyone's email address? Sounds like a potential data protection breach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

strangely, i didnt get that email, but my wife did.

it was apparently oked by the club chairman.

have any GAA, soccer or other clubs in the area done anything else like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I do sense you are a gene pool FF voter or a default FF voter, and if I'm wrong I do apologise. I see the same arguments from the same people on the doors whom we know to be FF members in Dublin west. Your arguments in defense of Jack are valid, but alsoy consistent with gene FF voters. Again, I maybe totally wrong but just making the point that these responses are well rehearsed now by default FF voters. They have to be rehearsed, as Jack won't debate David.

No not a gene pool, family would have been big supporters of Joe Higgins.

Voted FF in last 2 campaigns having spoken to David about various things.

strangely, i didnt get that email, but my wife did.

have any GAA, soccer or other clubs in the area done anything else like that?

If I was a club member I'd be calling for the chairman to resign or be sacked. It's absolutely shocking that anyone would think that it would be OK to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If so, what an idiot. Certainly a case for the data protection commissioner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Zaph wrote: »
    I don't see chuck's post as being bitter, although I would say that the McGuinness camp have every reason to feel that way. You have a party that has discarded a candidate who has gone from picking up around 600 first preference votes in 2011 to being the last candidate to contest the seat against Ruth Coppinger in the 2014 bye-election. Even if you're not a FF supporter it's clear that he was doing something right. And then he gets dumped for a student who has no political background other than a brief stint on the county council but who does have the right family connections. FF have seriously shot themselves in the foot here imo. Not only have they removed a genuine contender for a seat from the party gene pool and put him in direct opposition to their chosen one, but they've reinforced the "old boys' club" mentality of Irish politics that many had hoped that we were getting away from.

And it may end up with keeping Joan Burton in her seat.

A potential gain thrown away.

Godge wrote: »
    And it may end up with keeping Joan Burton in her seat.

A potential gain thrown away.

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Whats each of these candidates promising this time to get that chusty job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Remember to ask the candidates that you meet would they make sure that their team take the cable ties with them when they eventually take down their posters and don't leave on the poles or worse, on the ground after just snipping them off.

Fuming tonight. Waterville is wallpapered with Chambers and Renua. We've been a poster free zone almost entirely for 12 years but I'm guessing Fingal took some of the ring road in charge as there's a Fingal litter bin near Rossan Court. Not happy at all

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

athtrasna wrote: »
    Fuming tonight. Waterville is wallpapered with Chambers and Renua. We've been a poster free zone almost entirely for 12 years but I'm guessing Fingal took some of the ring road in charge as there's a Fingal litter bin near Rossan Court. Not happy at all

Ask your Mgmt Co where the demarcation is, you would be entitled to have them removed from private property

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ask your Mgmt Co where the demarcation is, you would be entitled to have them removed from private property

It's the road connecting all the clusters, not owned by any management company but the builder. I spotted the Fingal bin a few weeks ago and feared this might happen. I suspect the council may have taken part of the road in charge as part of the deal to buy Rossan Court. Too late now but will start a campaign with all the management companies to get Waterville designated a poster free zone next time. They're bloody awful.

The irony is the candidates never canvass Waterville as they say there aren't enough registered votes to make it worthwhile. I think I've had one set of canvassers ever in 12 years.

Spotted a McGuinness poster at ground level this morning on the way in to town!!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

Spotted a McGuinness poster at ground level this morning on the way in to town!!
    Was that at the humpback bridge outside Castleknock station?

Saw a lot of low Chambers posters on the way to the phoenix park this morning

Blured wrote: »
    Was that at the humpback bridge outside Castleknock station?

Saw a lot of low Chambers posters on the way to the phoenix park this morning

Was at Chesterfield on the Castleknock Road near the bus stop.

Saw the Chambers ones too, but this McGuinnes one couldn't have been more than six inches off the ground.

• Advertisement

there are plenty at ground level around Riverwood too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

there are plenty at ground level around Riverwood too

Varadkar & Noone at ground level at the Diswellstown Road roundabout outside Fernleigh as well. My dog had a good sniff on Wednesday night, I thought he was going to take a leak :p

hardCopy wrote: »
    Varadkar & Noone at ground level at the Diswellstown Road roundabout outside Fernleigh as well. My dog had a good sniff on Wednesday night, I thought he was going to take a leak :p
    mine did

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

The worst offenders I have seen for low posters are Renua, McGuinness (local meeting notices), and Micheal Martin (ironically!)

I agree that there should be a limit on the number of posters each candidate gets, might make them use them a bit better - it's a pity that motions to reduce the number of posters get promptly shot down (eg Catherine Martins motion in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown CC recently)

Grudaire wrote: »
    The worst offenders I have seen for low posters are Renua, McGuinness (local meeting notices), and Micheal Martin (ironically!)

I agree that there should be a limit on the number of posters each candidate gets, might make them use them a bit better - it's a pity that motions to reduce the number of posters get promptly shot down (eg Catherine Martins motion in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown CC recently)

Most public meeting ones were removed last night. the remainder in luttrellstown will be removed this afternoon as they need to be based on date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Is that all boardies are worried about election posters . What do you want from your representatives ??? No is the time to contact them and let them know.

Is that all boardies are worried about election posters . What do you want from your representatives ??? No is the time to contact them and let them know.

I believe Fianna Fail have erected 2000 posters at €9 per poster.

Straight question - does it have an effect on the electorates voting preferences?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm working on a campaign in a rural constituency, we're having difficulty finding places to put a thousand posters, where the hell in Dublin West can 2000 go?!

Got sent a photo from Dad yesterday, apparently Chambers has posters up on poles which are actually in the Phoenix Park!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm working on a campaign in a rural constituency, we're having difficulty finding places to put a thousand posters, where the hell in Dublin West can 2000 go?!

Got sent a photo from Dad yesterday, apparently Chambers has posters up on poles which are actually in the Phoenix Park!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Why not post up the photo for us?

Advertisement