Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Godge wrote: »
    Exactly what a councillor should do but doesn't make her fit to be a TD.

I actually never gave an opinion on whether she was fit to be a td or not. I notice AGC hasn't been back to tell us what Chambers has done anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

January wrote: »
    I actually never gave an opinion on whether she was fit to be a td or not. I notice AGC hasn't been back to tell us what Chambers has done anyway.

I am still here January don't be worrying.

A quick google or look at the twitter accounts of any of the candidates will show what they have done in the area, looking at Chambers I have read plenty from him about ideas going forward for health and meetings he has held on the subject.

Vardakar, Burton and to a lesser extent Coppinger are in the media on a daily basis so not as difficult to see what they have done.

Fair play to Ruth Coppinger for finding housing for your friend, I would expect any public representative if approached to do as much as they can for people in situations like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

AGC wrote: »
    looking at Chambers I have read plenty from him about ideas going forward for health and meetings he has held on the subject.

We're not asking about what he's saying in order to try get elected, we're asking for example of what's he done in the constituency, you were previously confident that he done plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

All you'll ever need to know about what happened in Fianna Fail. Once a sniff of a seat came about, they got their own boy in, and simply gave up on the working class vote in the process.

The final straw for David was when a senior FF member in Dublin west openly referred to him as nothing but a s*****g from Corduff and stated FF are good for 5000 votes in Dublin west and they can put forward humpty dumpty and he will get those 5000 votes because they belong to FF.

We'll soon find out.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/ff-accused-me-of-sending-lenihan-to-grave-a-broken-man-its-absolute-rubbish-brian-lenihans-private-assistant-dramatically-quits-31366045.html

ThisRegard wrote: »
    We're not asking about what he's saying in order to try get elected, we're asking for example of what's he done in the constituency, you were previously confident that he done plenty.

Where did I say he had done plenty?

I have said that he has involved himself in many committee, forums etc...

To see what he has done I will have to read up on it like everyone else.

• Advertisement

Are you really saying Chambers has done nothing in the constituency???

Christ.

It implies that you think the opposite to the person you were replying to.

So what was it you were thinking about that had you so shocked as to the suggestion he's done nothing?

It implies that you think the opposite to the person you were replying to.

So what was it you were thinking about that had you so shocked as to the suggestion he's done nothing?

As said, a very quick google/twitter search shows he is quite active.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

IIts easy to be on every committee and attend meetings when you don't have work to go to, how anybody could vote for chambers is beyond me. Zero experience of any kind and steeped in the dynasty of FF that have been at the helm when the country was almost ran into the ground.

It reminds me of guys staying late in the office pretending to work...looks good but thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

As said, a very quick google/twitter search shows he is quite active.

Oh yes, what did these people and their party do to the country again.............

7138d275-a429-4aca-b558-0bf83ad5eaf2_zpsod6ltosj.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Not replying to emails doesn't indicate community involvement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Just wondering are they allowed to put up posters up in estates. Going to work this morning wham bang a couple of posters in around the estate, which was done over nite. I'm sure I read or heard they not allowed to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

glossy wrote: »
    Just wondering are they allowed to put up posters up in estates. Going to work this morning wham bang a couple of posters in around the estate, which was done over nite. I'm sure I read or heard they not allowed to do that.

Yes, if they are in charge of the Council. No, if they are privately owned and managed.

glossy wrote: »

Depends on whether the council has taken the estate in charge or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Roderic O'Gorman was in clonsilla station on his own yesterday morning.

Jack chambers was there today with a group of supporters who imo were doing him no favour. They were all aul fellas and aul wans, old school canvassers out in front of him pushing his name and leaflets. He looked a little lost tbh. They should have had him out front.

amdublin wrote: »
    Roderic O'Gorman was in clonsilla station on his own yesterday morning.

Jack chambers was there today with a group of supporters who imo were doing him no favour. They were all aul fellas and aul wans, old school canvassers out in front of him pushing his name and leaflets. He looked a little lost tbh. They should have had him out front.

They are the Myos click. You should have felt privileged as a number of them are Millionaires a few times over. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

If JB was to lose her seat it might not be the worst thing for the area

When she was in opposition, she was pro actively pushing the case for electrification of the maynooth line.

When she went into government that disappeared. She never mentioned it again during her time in government until they announced the dart enhancement project or whatever it was she was out canvassing at stations the next couple of days (we knew there was an election coming) despite there only being planning funding allocated for the line over the duration of the next government. At least TDs in Dublin north pushed and got a better deal.

When the electrification plans were cancelled during LVs time there was not much as a peep from her and she has not highlighted the need anywhere for better transport needed for Dublin 15. In her election leaflets there's 2 lines at the bottom if electrification of the maynooth line .

She hasn't done much for Dublin 15 since she went in and if she loses her seat I won't shed a tear.

I spoke to Leo yesterday, he was on the canvass yesterday in Roselawn.

I spoke generally about how its going and he gave your general chit chat. The one thing he did observe is that Jack and his canvassers have been telling people on the doors the Jack is only 2 years younger than Leo was when he was elected - to which Leo is simply responding with the fact that the difference is, Leo has been working for years before he was elected, while Jack never has.

How would you suspect Leo will do against Jack in the Roselawns and Castleknocks of this world, with a bit of Joan thrown in?

I would imagine in a logical world leo will beat chambers easily, he is ultimately more credible than chambers could ever be.

Chamber is a stark reminder of everything that is wrong with Irish politics, in purely on the basis of who he is related to with zero life experience of any kind while being pushed by the old boys club that want to maintain the staus quo.

Sadly people dont always follow logic when voting and blindly follow parties/candidates based on who there father/uncles were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

athtrasna wrote: »
    Chambers hasn't responded to a single email sent by me or by our management company since he was a local election candidate.

In contrast McGuinness has been helpful beyond belief. His local electoral area doesn't include Waterville but going back years and years he has always been the most helpful councillor to us if we had issues. O'Gorman was good too but his response on Rossan Court lost him a high preference.

I have to agree with you on David McGuinness . He s always quick to respond to issues and help out in whatever way he can and is very accessible.

The only people who ever knocked at my door when there wasn't an election going on was him and Kieran Dennison. We had issues with scramblers in our green. Kieran gave me his mobile number and every time there was an issue i text him and he called the guards. (nothing used to happen when I called)
    Guards used to come and patrol and its now nearly non existent.

The Drivetime debate today is from Dublin West, but only with Varadkar, Burton and Coppinger.

It's at 5.30

• Advertisement

Seeing your post when I came back to post that it seems like they'll all be there.

Seeing your post when I came back to post that it seems like they'll all be there.

Even Chambers? Thought he doesn't do debates ;)

I haven't heard him being mentioned actually, if he's a no show it's a disgrace on is behalf.

I haven't heard him being mentioned actually, if he's a no show it's a disgrace on is behalf.

Probably at youth club until 6 today.

Would you relax.

The anti Chambers stuff really is comical and obsessive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Would you relax.

The anti Chambers stuff really is comical and obsessive
    That's not anti Chambers, it's anti cowardly candidates.

Canadel wrote: »
    That's not anti Chambers, it's anti cowardly candidates.

So is TJ Clare one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

So is TJ Clare one?
    Probably not wise to be comparing Chambers to TJ Clare.

Chambers is there and is speaking now. I think he deserves his own Saoirse Ronan accent thread in after hours! Nicely turned the young and inexperienced argument around with a promise to represent young people and bring them home. Only problem is young people and emigrants don't or can't vote.

• Advertisement

Thought Chambers did speak well in relation to being questioned about his age and living at home. Was a brave (and possibly stupid) to go after SF as much as he did although Donnelly didn't come back with anything of substance.

Burton did OK, was able to pull PBH on false statements, said the expected in relation to growth etc in the area.

Leo got off to a bad start not owning up to what he had previously said, repeated what Burton had said and happy to talk of the growth of free GP care. He very much just stands back and lets the others put their foot in mouth.

PBH went after McGuinness from the start in relation to loosing 2 previous campaigns, thought the 'Why didn't you go away quietly' question was silly, although he got his 'nothing has been handed to me' dig in. Spoke well in relation to AGS and lack of internal movement and funding.

Coppinger - Got her back up straight away but stayed fairly calm, the position on large multinationals doesn't come out well when they are positive about employment but not on the low tax, when it went back to her she was all over the place in relation to fiscal issues.

Donnelly, very non committal on everything right down to the likely preference for TJ Clare! Don't think he came back to well when Chambers made his Slab Murphy comment.

Advertisement