Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

AGC wrote: »
    So is TJ Clare one?

I like Tj Clare. He did a lot with Yes Equality and lead a canvassing group every eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Would you relax.

The anti Chambers stuff really is comical and obsessive

Touchy. All I said was that it would be disgraceful if he didn't turn up.

Anyway, it was pretty poor overall, little substance, just finger pointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Thought Chambers did speak well in relation to being questioned about his age and living at home.

I didn't get to listen. What was his response?

Along the lines of that he couldn't afford to rent in the constituency. However I know of few people that rent alone, the vast majority of people I know start by house sharing, renting a room etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Along the lines of that he couldn't afford to rent in the constituency. However I know of few people that rent alone, the vast majority of people I know start by house sharing, renting a room etc.

Or move to an area you can afford? Plenty of affordable options in Dublin 15 outside of Castleknock I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Surely no one really believes he lives at home because he can't afford to rent? 😂

He is and was out of his depth - at one stage he lost his words.

I thought joan was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'm finding this a really interesting election personally. 6 months ago I thought I knew, then 3 months ago I changed my mind, then 2 weeks ago I decided to swap 1 and 2 and today I find myself pondering a different plan for my key transfer. The turmoil is national V local. My priority keeps changing.

Wish it was election time already, I hate indecision.

Personally I feel David will stay ahead of Joan and if that happens, I believe David can leap frog Ruth on transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I see they did a poll in the Independent in just the Dublin West area - looks like Joan is in trouble - 5% behind Coppinger in 5th place.

They have;

Leo FG 20%
    Donnelly SF 20%
    Chambers FF 17%
    Coppinger AAA 15%
    Burton Lab 10%
    McGuinness ind 9%

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/joan-burton-staring-at-end-of-political-career-34443089.html

Speaking to the people who conducted the poll, they concentrated to both sides of the M50, so Blanch village area and Castleknock.

If true, Joan is in more serious trouble.

On another note, Geoff Boyle and Lorna Nolan are actually not running. Had the Indo know that, Joan may be behind DmcG.

It also seems FF people were right. No matter who they put forward, the core vote will follow.

With 14% undecided, you could not realistically think that would go to Labour under the circumstances?

• Advertisement

Speaking to the people who conducted the poll, they concentrated to both sides of the M50, so Blanch village area and Castleknock.

I don't think Chambers would have much support outside of there though.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't think Chambers would have much support outside of there though.

Well I did mention here earlier in the week that FF assume 5000 votes belong to them and humpty dumpty will get them if they put humpty dumpty forward. I said we'll soon see and i was not being sarcastic, I genuinely mean we will see.

The polls suggest they are right, but 500 people polled out of an voting electorate of 45000 is not totally reliable and Dublin west is a melting pot of voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

He is and was out of his depth - at one stage he lost his words.

I thought joan was awful.

He didn't come across out of his depth at all, he answered the one question fairly well then got a dig in at SF.

Joan was grand, she stayed relatively calm (bar the elbow) but that independent poll has to be a big worry, no matter how much they like to dismiss polls.

The whole thing was quite tame then got dragged all over the place for the last couple of minutes.

500 polled - i'd say there is a lot of votes to be won in the next two weeks.

Genuinely surprised the AAA are vulnerable but then again, they usually have a big ticket item. Not this time.

500 polled - i'd say there is a lot of votes to be won in the next two weeks.

Genuinely surprised the AAA are vulnerable but then again, they usually have a big ticket item. Not this time.

I just can't see how people would warm to her, if there is a left winner it will be SF.

A lot of Joe Higgins voters I know have said they would not give her No. 1.

Has she been out and about, what areas?

I just can't see how people would warm to her, if there is a left winner it will be SF.

A lot of Joe Higgins voters I know have said they would not give her No. 1.

Has she been out and about, what areas?

She certainly has. I've seen her team quite a lot.

I suppose that's politics. Labour rode the crest of a wave, now SF are clearly doing so as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

cant seem to stream the segment from the rte player at the minute. Anyone know if its elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I just can't see how people would warm to her

You only have to look at her election posters to see this. While everyone else's is the usual bland, inoffensive headshot, the picture on Coppinger's posters makes her look like she's about to launch into another of her shrill tirades. You'd have thought they'd have been able to find a better picture, wouldn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

If true, Joan is in more serious trouble.

On another note, Geoff Boyle and Lorna Nolan are actually not running. Had the Indo know that, Joan may be behind DmcG.

It also seems FF people were right. No matter who they put forward, the core vote will follow.

With 14% undecided, you could not realistically think that would go to Labour under the circumstances?
    Well I did mention here earlier in the week that FF assume 5000 votes belong to them and humpty dumpty will get them if they put humpty dumpty forward. I said we'll soon see and i was not being sarcastic, I genuinely mean we will see.

The polls suggest they are right, but 500 people polled out of an voting electorate of 45000 is not totally reliable and Dublin west is a melting pot of voters.

I don't think you should dismiss the poll as easily as that.

If you are right about it being conducted around the M50, then Donnelly would end up on 30% - can't see that happening.

However, it looks like Varadkar and Donnelly have the first two seats sewn up.

Four (Chambers, Burton, Coppinger and McGuinness) for the last two.

Disappointed with O'Gorman being so low, was hoping he would build on the by-election showing.

Godge wrote: »
    I don't think you should dismiss the poll as easily as that.

If you are right about it being conducted around the M50, then Donnelly would end up on 30% - can't see that happening.

However, it looks like Varadkar and Donnelly have the first two seats sewn up.

Four (Chambers, Burton, Coppinger and McGuinness) for the last two.

Disappointed with O'Gorman being so low, was hoping he would build on the by-election showing.

He was on his own canvassing at Tesco's yesterday. Without physical support it is extremely hard. he's a decent skin all round in fairness to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

I thought the debate was badly handled by the mediator as he seemed keen to avoid local issues and focus on national ones while he had Joan and Leo in the room. As a result we just heard the usual party line on national issues and nothing relevant to the constituency. It may as well have been any candidates from any constituency.
    I think Joan is rattled, I actually like her and think she is a good national politician but a poor local one. The lack of Transport and sports investment in the Area is disgraceful and the allocation of rail investment everywhere but on the Maynooth line has been a real let down from our two ministers.
    While I don’t like chambers I think he did well enough and will not suffer from his performance. He actually seemed to be the only one prepared and his did at SF certainly helped control the narrative.
    Leo was fine but seems to have given up on his running mate, I don’t think he mentioned her. Ruth was her usual self but her attitude to multinationals is clearly a weak point in this constituency.
    David McGuinness did well, I hope he beats Chambers but he will need Joan to be eliminated before him.

I thought the debate was badly handled by the mediator as he seemed keen to avoid local issues and focus on national ones while he had Joan and Leo in the room. As a result we just heard the usual party line on national issues and nothing relevant to the constituency. It may as well have been any candidates from any constituency.
    I think Joan is rattled, I actually like her and think she is a good national politician but a poor local one. The lack of Transport and sports investment in the Area is disgraceful and the allocation of rail investment everywhere but on the Maynooth line has been a real let down from our two ministers.
    While I don’t like chambers I think he did well enough and will not suffer from his performance. He actually seemed to be the only one prepared and his did at SF certainly helped control the narrative.
    Leo was fine but seems to have given up on his running mate, I don’t think he mentioned her. Ruth was her usual self but her attitude to multinationals is clearly a weak point in this constituency.
    David McGuinness did well, I hope he beats Chambers but he will need Joan to be eliminated before him.

AlanG wrote: »

I think that may very well happen.

Vincent Browne next week will be a different story.

Most national polls are only 1000 or 2000 voters so this is a pretty reliable poll. If it was confined to Blanchardstown and Castleknock you would have to imagine these would be the weakest areas for SF. A party led by a facilitator of Child abuse could top the poll in the area, time to lock up the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I have only ever seen Roderic O'Gorman campaigning by himself. Fair play to him to put himself out there with barely any support, shows he is dedicated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I have only ever seen Roderic O'Gorman campaigning by himself. Fair play to him to put himself out there with barely any support, shows he is dedicated.

Yep I mentioned he was out at clonsilla station on his own earlier this week.
    I was involved in a a canal clean up with him a few years ago. He just stuck it on fb amd I went along on the day. Small group of volunteers, he would have done it on his own if we hadn't shown up I think.

I see on fb though when he's doing the houses he has a few little groups with him.

He did alot of work with TJ Clare for yes equality last year.

The lack of Transport and sports investment

There's quite a good amount of sports investment in the constituency, probably as good as, if not better, than the majority of others.

Are you talking facilities, or money given to clubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Kiwi_knock wrote: »

He's a good guy. Was all set to give him a high preference but he really upset me with his response on Rossan Court. Mind you he did respond ;) McGuinness and Leo were the only others who responded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A party led by a facilitator of Child abuse could top the poll in the area, time to lock up the kids.

That may be the most moronic thing I've ever read on boards. And I browse After Hours...

Advertisement