Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The candidate for Sinn Féin in Dublin West is Paul Donnelly, a man for whom I have no reason on this earthly world to suspect of being a risk to children. For you to casually fire out statements like "lock up your kids" in any context connected to the Sinn Féin party and/or candidates, is all of moronic, lazy and dangerous. Take your pick.

I agree that such comments have no relevance to this election and in particular this constituency. So maybe we can stick to issues that pertain to Dublin West, or at the very least to the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Hopefully our own side can ramp it up a lot now as mid-term kicks in and David can spend all day canvassing and a few other things.

Difficult to get to enough doors when working Monday to Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Hopefully our own side can ramp it up a lot now as mid-term kicks in and David can spend all day canvassing and a few other things.

Difficult to get to enough doors when working Monday to Friday.

When is he planning on doing wellview so I can be in :p

January wrote: »
    When is he planning on doing Wellview so I can be in :p

I think he'll go where he can find Joan Burton's number 1's and ask for number 2s and i don't think Joan will get a number 1 in Wellview if you don't mind me saying, :D

I think he'll go where he can find Joan Burton's number 1's and ask for number 2s and i don't think Joan will get a number 1 in Wellview if you don't mind me saying, :D

No, I think you're right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The candidate for Sinn Féin in Dublin West is Paul Donnelly, a man for whom I have no reason on this earthly world to suspect of being a risk to children. For you to casually fire out statements like "lock up your kids" in any context connected to the Sinn Féin party and/or candidates, is all of moronic, lazy and dangerous. Take your pick.

I presume he is a candidate who is supporting Gerry Adams efforts to be the leader of the country therefore I have the right to question his judgement. I wouldn't want my kids around anyone who thinks Gerry Adams is fit to lead the country given his attitude towards victims of paedophilia and rape.

Paul Donnelly appears to want to represent the people of Dublin 15 in support of Adams and therefore it is a local issue. If he is a decent man he should have no time for Adams and should publicly say that. SF need to get rid of Adams. I support many of their policies but could never justify to my kids or to victims of rape and child abuse a vote which is ultimately in support of Adams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

FG were canvassing at the door of Tesco in roselawn last week, it seemed strange considering this is private property and one would have thought Tesco would not want to be seen as taking sides. Does anyone know if other parties have been allowed canvass there or were just FG given permission.

AlanG wrote: »
    FG were canvassing at the door of Tesco in roselawn last week, it seemed strange considering this is private property and one would have thought Tesco would not want to be seen as taking sides. Does anyone know if other parties have been allowed canvass there or were just FG given permission.

My wife told me that Joan Burton was campaigning there the other day, and there have been canvassers there during previous elections so presumably it isn't a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Have seen AAA set up there with table and chairs looking for support in the past

We had some people there last night and the support was genuinely brilliant.

https://twitter.com/lindabrennan223/status/698059060822876160

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Pretty much most have been there, and RTEs election coverage broadcast from there earlier this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Anyone know who Dermot Casey is? Running as an independent apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

athtrasna wrote: »

He ran in the locals last time, only picked up a couple of hundred votes. I think he was linked with Renua when they launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

athtrasna wrote: »

Where's the postmaster Geoff?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Where's the postmaster Geoff?

I thought he pull out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I presume he is a candidate who is supporting Gerry Adams efforts to be the leader of the country therefore I have the right to question his judgement. I wouldn't want my kids around anyone who thinks Gerry Adams is fit to lead the country given his attitude towards victims of paedophilia and rape.

Paul Donnelly appears to want to represent the people of Dublin 15 in support of Adams and therefore it is a local issue. If he is a decent man he should have no time for Adams and should publicly say that. SF need to get rid of Adams. I support many of their policies but could never justify to my kids or to victims of rape and child abuse a vote which is ultimately in support of Adams.

The treatment of Mairia Cahill and Paudie McGahon by the leadership of Sinn Fein should be an issue in this election.

On Adams, he either lied to the Spotlight programme or the Courts about his knowledge of the abuse of his niece. That alone makes him unsuitable for election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

It's too bad John Kidd isn't running again, his tiny posters always gave me a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Canvassers for Varadkar called earlier, were asking us to give Burton our 3rd preference. Shows the real threat Burton is under.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Canvassers for Varadkar called earlier, were asking us to give Burton our 3rd preference. Shows the real threat Burton is under.

If Fine Gael really gave a monkeys about her, Varadkar wouldnt have a running mate...

I suspect gender quotas have a lot to do with his running mate's presence. They know he's a dead cert so putting a second FG candidate in isn't going to damage his chances in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've seen SF canvassing there in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Zaph wrote: »
    I suspect gender quotas have a lot to do with his running mate's presence. They know he's a dead cert so putting a second FG candidate in isn't going to damage his chances in any way.

Oh she is a complete Pc crazy drop in to the area, to but a band aid on gender issues in Irish politics

Absolutely snapping that Joan got a photo op like this this morning in the Blanchardstown Centre. A charity close to my heart as my daughter has a congenital heart defect and HCI have been so supportive. It's such a pity that the HSE haven't been though, we've been waiting 3 years to see a doctor for my other daughter.
    12687813_917028978346621_5020872356696520219_n.jpg?oh=94eea71fe59368537ebf349cde9ed3ea&oe=572E64A2&__gda__=1466838909_332b2940ce2110860bafa6ceafda9c0b

Looks like she was just out in the centre and whoever were with the kids took the photo?

There was a cameraman there too in another photo.

12742447_917017255014460_6242693504193789978_n.jpg?oh=44915d87cb2393f45d2719e894d1859e&oe=5760640F&__gda__=1463092099_12bdcfed449c1088d4b5126d66f1bb98

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sorry I'm confused what's wrong with these photos :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Fingal guy taking down low posters this afternoon from the power city roundabout towards the centre. Possibly other areas too.

Joan Burton doesn't give a jot about children with health issues yet she used her time at the Centre today, with her camera crew, for a photo op with a charity who are trying desperately to raise awareness for Congenital Heart Defects.

Maybe you find nothing wrong with those pictures but as a parent with children with health issues I'm fuming mad. She's lucky it wasn't me down there fund raising today, and it nearly was, only I couldn't organise a sitter for the baby because she'd have been told (and in a nice way I'm not confrontational) to jog on.

• Advertisement

I see on the news that she was there with a crew. I don't have an issue anyway, politicians will take whatever photo ops where ever they can.

It's ridiculous to say she doesn't care about children though.

Advertisement