Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just caught a minute of it there, some woman going on about Aras Attracta followed by some guy starting about HPV vaccinations. I'm not saying they're not important issues for those people, but they're not specifically Dublin West issues and the candidates who are there won't be able to do much about them. If Leo or Joan were there then maybe questions like that would be meaningful, but neither are so why waste time on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

athtrasna wrote: »
    Government pols haven't done many Vin B debates at all. Those that did found the audience packed with SF and water protestors which in turn put others off. Not specific to Leo and Joan

Yeah, they're more a source of amusement, particularly when the inevitable shouting starts, rather than a valuable insight into a parties program for government.

@Zaph, Yes, lots of speakers with personal agendas, fair enough, but not relevant to the vast majority of people in the constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

A lot of the contributions from the audience are statements rather the questions so impossible for candidates to answer. All apart from Noone have come across well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In fairness its a p1ss poorly run debate with usual TV3 production values and Vinnie B meglomania, excrutiating.

I dont defend Leo and Joan for staying away, but i cant understand why they gave amateur hour a skip.

Chambers crash and burn.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Girl 01 Analog

Vincent has a very low tolerance for people talking rubbish, no wonder Varadkar/Burton didn't show up

Must have been no Constitutional Law modules in Jack's law degree

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

independent candidates are coming around across well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

TJ Clare doing well.

So is Roderic O'Gorman.

amdublin wrote: »
    TJ Clare doing well.

So is Roderic O'Gorman.

Roderic O'Gorman is that guy you never want beside you on the train. Close your legs man, or buy a ticket for your bag. Yes that bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Independents coming across well.
    SF saying he didn't know that bit made me laugh. Reminded me of school.
    Jack just got scolded too and looked terrible to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's a ridiculous reason to vote, or not, for someone, on basis of turning up for a debate.

Had you been watching Prime Time earlier would you only be voting FF and FG on the basis they were the only 2 parties debating, Varadkar included?
    Leo and Joan can both stroll into RTE any night of the year and get air time. Tonight there is a live, national debate between the candidates for their constituency and they have declined to turn up. It's disrespectful to their constituents and fellow candidates no matter what way you look at it. And yes, it would turn me completely off voting for them and make me vote for those who did show respect and turned up to debate.
    Yeah, they're more a source of amusement, particularly when the inevitable shouting starts, rather than a valuable insight into a parties program for government.
    Yeah, so are you tbh.

Way to take things out of context. I said the debates are a source of amusement, reading the rest of my statement would have made that obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

It was a beautiful crash and burn. (Is it obvious how much I dislike him?)

Gimme a bleedin' gaff will ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Canadel wrote: »
    Leo and Joan can both stroll into RTE any night of the year and get air time. Tonight there is a live, national debate between the candidates for their constituency and they have declined to turn up. It's disrespectful to their constituents and fellow candidates no matter what way you look at it. And yes, it would turn me completely off voting for them and make me vote for those who did show respect and turned up to debate.

Yeah, so are you tbh.

Read my previous post and you'll see why. And imo they're right too! No need to be fish in a barrel of hecklers

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Independents coming across well.
    SF saying he didn't know that bit made me laugh. Reminded me of school.
    Jack just got scolded too and looked terrible to be honest.

Hehe :)

It was a beautiful crash and burn. (Is it obvious how much I dislike him?)
    Hardly a crash and burn. He didn't commit to the proposal about complete church and state separation because it IS enshrined in the constitution and an awful lot of voters don't support it, a lot of them FF voters. It was a tricky one for him and I wouldn't criticise him when no other party has done much about it either. Coppinger is the only one really critical of it and she's not seen as credible by most people who post in this thread, never mind the country.

I now feel a bit sorry for Noone, the two ministers have fecked off and left to answer the government issues

Did the 2 ministers not show up, I hadn't noticed. Thanks Jack.

• Advertisement

Did the 2 ministers not show up, I hadn't noticed. Thanks Jack.

I just flicked back for a bit, and heard this line several times already.

Vincent is getting worse, he needs to meditate or something.

Jack has been working on his angry voice.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Jack has been working on his angry voice.

Think Taxi Driver and the mirror scene.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Read my previous post and you'll see why. And imo they're right too! No need to be fish in a barrel of hecklers
    1. The views of the audience is no excuse to avoid the debate as an elected representative of those very people. Plus, the majority of the audience tonight seem to be more concerned with disability and ethnic and migrant rights and funding than Sinn Fein or water charges.

2. Leo and Joan aren't simply "Government pols" as you say. They're the Minister for Health and The Tainiste respectively.

If you're being pedantic then they're former ministers.

I just flicked back for a bit, and heard this line several times already.

Vincent is getting worse, he needs to meditate or something.
    I suppose it doesn't matter when we have yourself and others to make excuses for them, and encourage their decision not to show up.

I suppose it doesn't matter when we have yourself and others to make excuses for them, and encourage their decision not to show up.

Such a shame, I was only saying a couple of hours ago that this thread is usually a lot more mature than this type of nonsense you get in others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If you're being pedantic then they're former ministers.

If you're being correct and pedantic they're not. They're no longer tds but they are ministers until the next government is formed :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Jack is a lying ****er on the doors so. I asked him this very question on the doors and he lied to my face. I am actually fuming but I expected nothing less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yeah, so are you tbh.

Can we please keep the personal digs out of this. Thanks.

Advertisement