Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

election is in a week and to date, i have had only 1 party/candidate call to my door. Chambers.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

election is in a week and to date, i have had only 1 party/candidate call to my door. Chambers.

likewise and I ran them as i had just got the baby down!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

One more than I've had, which seems to be pretty normal. In the 11.5 years I've been here I think I've only ever had one candidate call to my door, David Hall for one of the recent bye-elections. Even canvassers aren't calling, just shoving their crap through the letterbox occasionally. I live in a fairly settled area, so presumably they all believe that they know what way the votes are going to go here and there's little value in actually going to speak to people. It's very annoying to be ignored like that every single election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've had Chambers and one of Coppinger's canvassers. Apparently Paul Donnelly was around but I missed him as I was out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

We've had none and I'm here all day. Might be because we're very close to train station and most of them have been there at some point. Get material through the door all day every day but noone knocks.

Not quite a d15 issue but has anyone on supplemental register got voting cards? Some arrived yesterday for previous owners who would have been on full register but our ones haven't come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

I thought Catherine Noone did well considering.

I might get abused by feminists if there are any on here for saying this (I don't know), but she's a good looking woman.
    She was there to look good. She was sat there purely to garner sympathy, and it seems to have worked to an extent going by some of the posts here. It was an entirely calculated decision by FG and it is delusional to think any different.
    Past30Now wrote: »
    That should bury him, but it won't.
    At least in this election yeah. Also Vincent's line directly into the camera as he turned away from Chambers about "FF wanting to get into banking" should be another nail in his coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

45,000 households in the Constituency, impossible to cover and some areas have so few registered voters they're just skipped. I've had one set of canvassers in 12 years. Have met more at the supermarket /train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A big cull on the posters and banners on the Littlepace Roundabout and Road this morning, don't know if it was the Council or not, but all the stuff hung on the railings of the estate were pulled down and lying in a pile on the grass. Maybe the residents got sick of their view looking like the side of a Formula 1 car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

i honestly wouldnt mind no one turning up if the bloody posters werent around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

i honestly wouldnt mind no one turning up if the bloody posters werent around.

But that's the point of posters ;) We see our candidates every day. Two more weeks of posters!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

athtrasna wrote: »
    . Two more weeks of posters!

Or two more weeks and a couple of days for the SF ones!

Edit - then a couple of more weeks of all the snapped cable ties at the bottom of poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I'll be trying to get David's down on the night of the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bazzajf

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    'Jack Chambers' is trending on Twitter, all related to his views on not holding a referendum. So while not many people might have watched the show, it will get around that he is pro-life and opposed to holding a referendum.

Good for him that he is pro-life.

I am too and I am young too - wow! (Who knew!).
    I am also in favour of a referendum on the issue.

I am no FF voter and will not be voting for Chambers but fair play to him for putting his position on the table in relation to this issue unlike some.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

bazzajf wrote: »

This is where yourself and Jack differ. He doesn't want to allow debate or a vote.

I am no FF voter and will not be voting for Chambers but fair play to him for putting his position on the table in relation to this issue unlike some.

You are in favour of a referendum on the issue whereas Jack isn't. That is the main difference between you both.

Also, he may have put his position on the table last night but prior to that he had no problem lying to people on the doors about his stance on repealing the 8th.

Fair enough that he's pro-life, everyone is entitled to hold an opinion on a subject. What's not fair enough is that he doesn't want a referendum on it, so basically he's anti-democratic. Not a great stance for a public representative to adopt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Jack on Rte now. Talking about housing crisis.

Just starting.

Just starting.

Is it a housing crisis when daddy is loaded but he won't buy you a house of your own?

Just starting.

Is he saying people have a constitutional right to a gaff?

Zaph wrote: »
    Is it a housing crisis when daddy is loaded but he won't buy you a house of your own?
    Clever. Quite funny. But harsh. And quite unfair. Judge him on his policies and what he says rather than speculation based on his personal relationship with his father?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

We've had none and I'm here all day. Might be because we're very close to train station and most of them have been there at some point. Get material through the door all day every day but noone knocks.

Not quite a d15 issue but has anyone on supplemental register got voting cards? Some arrived yesterday for previous owners who would have been on full register but our ones haven't come.

I got mine yesterday, only registered about a month ago

Canadel wrote: »
    Clever. Quite funny. But harsh. And quite unfair. Judge him on his policies and what he says rather than speculation based on his personal relationship with his father?

@Canadel with all due respect he stated on RTE radio 1 last week that he had to live at home because of rent and mortgage prices.

Let me try to be clear with out being rude. RUBBISH!

@Canadel with all due respect he stated on RTE radio 1 last week that he had to live at home because of rent and mortgage prices.

Let me try to be clear with out being rude. RUBBISH!
    Why is it rubbish? While maybe he can afford to rent, or even to take out a mortgage, perhaps he believes that it isn't worth it even to him as the prices are so out of control? Also, you do not know that his parents would fund him for rent or a mortgage. It's pure speculation on your part concerning his finances in relation to that of his family.

Canadel wrote: »
    Why is it rubbish? While maybe he can afford to rent, or even to take out a mortgage, perhaps he believes that it isn't worth it even to him as the prices are so out of control? Also, you do not know that his parents would fund him for rent or a mortgage. It's pure speculation on your part concerning his finances in relation to that of his family.

It is anything but speculation. 100k was put on deposit to support his election campaign.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

MrMorooka wrote: »
    chuck, any chance you can get DMcG to post answers on whichcandidate.ie? On smartvote.ie I get matched with him very highly, so would be nice to see if whichcandidate does the same.
    I had a look at that site today, but it’s a little dispiriting to see a lot of the candidates putting generic party answers in the responses. Scanning through some of the profiles in DW and DC, I can see both FG and Renua doing this. Like, if I wanted the party position on issues, I'd go to the party's poxy website.

It’s also particularly stupid for Renua to do when their position on abortion is a classic non-answer “we’re leaving it down to the individual representative to decide”… eh yeah, so what’s your ****ing position on it then? I swear Paul Howard's "New Republic" has to be based on them.

Having read through the responses I think I’ll be going back to voting Green. Sadly I’m not in DW anymore so Roderic won’t be the recipient, but I think the GP are mostly just looking to hit the quota for state funding at this stage anyway.

I had a look at that site today, but it’s a little dispiriting to see a lot of the candidates putting generic party answers in the responses. Scanning through some of the profiles in DW and DC, I can see both FG and Renua doing this. Like, if I wanted the party position on issues, I'd go to the party's poxy website.

It’s also particularly stupid for Renua to do when their position on abortion is a classic non-answer “we’re leaving it down to the individual representative to decide”… eh yeah, so what’s your ****ing position on it then? I swear Paul Howard's "New Republic" has to be based on them.

Having read through the responses I think I’ll be going back to voting Green. Sadly I’m not in DW anymore so Roderic won’t be the recipient, but I think the GP are mostly just looking to hit the quota for state funding at this stage anyway.

I think you can relax on Renua - their candidate apparently has not registered in time to be on the ballot.

hah, hilarious!

I'm in Dublin Central now so presumably the Renua candidate there registered in time, given her posters are up.

hah, hilarious!

I'm in Dublin Central now so presumably the Renua candidate there registered in time, given her posters are up.

The Renua candidate here has posters up too.

Doubly hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I think you can relax on Renua - their candidate apparently has not registered in time to be on the ballot.

The returning officer for Dublin has her down as a candidate, so she is on the ballot paper unless something changed in the meantime.

Advertisement