Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

You have to remember that while varadkar was on the discussing national issues , this was the chance for local candidates to discuss local issues with people. Something that wasn't done in the drivetime debate.

While national issues are important, varadkar is not going for a national election, he has to be elected by the people of dublin west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

thomasj wrote: »
    You have to remember that while varadkar was on the discussing national issues , this was the chance for local candidates to discuss local issues with people. Something that wasn't done in the drivetime debate.

While national issues are important, varadkar is not going for a national election, he has to be elected by the people of dublin west.

Did you watch the debate? Very few of the topics discussed were local issues

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Fairly sure that he's always been upfront about not getting involved in local issues, does minimal campaigning and that he's definitely not the guy to go to 'to get the road fixed'.
    Looks on it that that the people of DW are electing him as a national politician and if they don't accept him on those 'terms' then he'll happily go back to his other career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It was Prime Time he was on, and there was feic all debated on local issues on Vinny B, there never is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Speaking of mis-placed posters, anyone noticed the Joanna Tuffy (Lab) posters on the road to Hansfield station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Yeah I agree there are one or two estates in the blakestown area that have election posters up it's not right.

Sinn Fein has posters all through Fortlawn estate along with two lots of the AAA and posters before people.

JoyPad wrote: »
    Speaking of mis-placed posters, anyone noticed the Joanna Tuffy (Lab) posters on the road to Hansfield station?

Coppingger has posters up in clonee as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Surprised I haven't heard of any excuse from Joan and Leo. If I was them I would be pointing out that the date of the debate changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

JoyPad wrote: »

Would many Lucan residents park there in the mornings? Would make sense if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Fairly sure that he's always been upfront about not getting involved in local issues, does minimal campaigning and that he's definitely not the guy to go to 'to get the road fixed'.
    Looks on it that that the people of DW are electing him as a national politician and if they don't accept him on those 'terms' then he'll happily go back to his other career.
    I actually don't have a problem with this. There are politicians in the area who would represent the local area well and there are politicians like Leo who I would like to see as Taoiseach at some stage. I think he would do an excellent job. I have no problem voting for him on that basis, just like I have no problem voting for David McGuinness or Roderic on the basis that they would represent the area well.

• Advertisement

Leo has always been for himself. I remember when he was a councillor and he didn't care then, he used to claim the credit for things the Dublin 15 community council achieved. It seemed at the time that his sole intention was to get to the Dail as quickly as possible. He was rarely seen in the council estates as a councillor and even less so as a Td. Leo and Joan thinks that Dublin West is just castleknock, have a look where their posters are focused on.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Leo has always been for himself. I remember when he was a councillor and he didn't care then, he used to claim the credit for things the Dublin 15 community council achieved. It seemed at the time that his sole intention was to get to the Dail as quickly as possible. He was rarely seen in the council estates as a councillor and even less so as a Td. Leo and Joan thinks that Dublin West is just castleknock, have a look where their posters are focused on.

Funny seeing as Leo lives in Carpenterstown! Posters are mainly placed on primary routes where they will be seen by as many people as possible.

Roderic was (and probably still is) outside Supervalu earlier handing out leaflets.

Coppinger has people putting up more posters too. She has some enormous ones up around the place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Hilly Bill wrote: »

I think that's very harsh for a couple of reasons.

When he was a councillor it was in the Castleknock ward, he first ran for election in the Mulhuddart ward and got no where. In the ward to which he was elected he was very effective, I was in Carpenterstown at that time and he was very visible, in Castleknock he led the campaign against the Uxbridge development which would have been (and is the core issue to that electorate).

All TDs have their strong parts of a constituency, he's from Castleknock so naturally for an election that's key (along with Roselawn, Carpenterstown & Navan Road) to him getting back to the Dáil.

I haven't seen sight of Sinn Féin , AAA, PBP etc where I now live and I understand it.

I doubt a FG Minister would get the red carpet in certain parts of D15 no matter what was going on. It's more than just door knocking a lot of development has happened in D15 and having Leo & Joan can't have hurt that.

The poster issue I'd disagree with, I'm surprised by how few he has in comparison to Jack Chambers who I've seen more of than my kids 🙂.

Roderic was (and probably still is) outside Supervalu earlier handing out leaflets.

I think one thing most people could agree on is that he is a super hard worker with limited campaign support. He seems to do most of the work on his own and is genuinely interested in the role for the right reasons.

While not completely my politics he's a class act and I'd be delighted if he got one of the shock results that happens every election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

No matter if you're pro life or pro choice, you cannot be anti-democracy.

PS: Jack's legal background worked wonders for him. :cool:

But was he right in relation to the part of the constitution he was going on about? Vinny B admitted he was wrong?

Was talking to Roderic O'Gorman and one of his canvassers said it.

AGC wrote: »
    But was he right in relation to the part of the constitution he was going on about? Vinny B admitted he was wrong?

Was talking to Roderic O'Gorman and one of his canvassers said it.

I don't recall any apology from Browne because Chambers wasn't correct however his personal views on the 8th are his own and he's entitled to them.

Rejecting a constitutional referendum when there is so much demand for it is ironically anti constitutional.

Perhaps you could elaborate on the conversation you had?

Rosser wrote: »
    I don't recall any apology from Browne because Chambers wasn't correct however his personal views on the 8th are his own and he's entitled to them.

Rejecting a constitutional referendum when there is so much demand for it is ironically anti constitutional.

Perhaps you could elaborate on the conversation you had?

Apologies it was not in relation to the 8th, Chambers made his point clear on that.

I was talking about the clip currently doing the rounds on social media about religion in schools. Browne kept saying to Chambers it is not in the constitution etc...

The canvasser for O'Gorman said that Browne acknowledged he was wrong following the show, just seeing if others heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

AGC wrote:
    The canvasser for O'Gorman said that Browne acknowledged he was wrong following the show, just seeing if others heard?

Surprised if that's true, haven't seen it on twitter, and just checked Jack's website (which has very few recent updates!) and I don't see him claiming he was right..

It's definitely not something I heard, but I'll be out canvassing tomorrow so can see if there's anything to back your story up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Lots of last minute 'leo' diamond shaped posters going up in the last few days , last minute panic , maybe he didn't buy as much votes as he thought with his under sixes medical cards .

• Advertisement

Grudaire wrote: »
    Surprised if that's true, haven't seen it on twitter, and just checked Jack's website (which has very few recent updates!) and I don't see him claiming he was right..

It's definitely not something I heard, but I'll be out canvassing tomorrow so can see if there's anything to back your story up!

Would like to know myself - I was surprised when I heard.

I haven't watched the full Vinny B back yet and have only seen clips online.

Oops69 wrote: »
    Lots of last minute 'leo' diamond shaped posters going up in the last few days , last minute panic , maybe he didn't buy as much votes as he thought with his under sixes medical cards .

Actually this is a standard postering tactic, different posters on the final week of the campaign. SF and Coppinger have also done so over the weekend :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

This is the most uninformed I've ever been going into an election.

My own fault, but I've been busy at work. Last time we had to put pencil to paper I was on the dole.

Is there any reasonable summary anywhere of who these people are. I saw Chambers at the station during the week but was running for the train so couldn't actually chat, and by the time I get home all the canvassers are going.

I do like the smell of he independents around here these time.

I don't want to vote for the current government - I don't especially like Varadkar or Burton. Don't want Sinn Fein or AAA... ah well. Won't matter since I tend to vote the whole paper so eventually my vote might make its way to them....

athtrasna wrote: »
    Funny seeing as Leo lives in Carpenterstown! Posters are mainly placed on primary routes where they will be seen by as many people as possible.

Does he not now live on main Castleknock Road?

Poor Leo got a whack on the head with a microphone during the Facebook election special.

https://twitter.com/marktigheST/status/701537413940641792

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Oops69 wrote: »

Nah, lots of those went up for SF, AAA and FF the last few days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Vinny was correct. There is something in the constitution but nothing along the lines of what Jack said.

There is an effort on Twitter to spin out the line AGC is spinning but the damage is done. There was three candidates that had a better grip of education than Jack.

A number of people I know in Coolmine community school who were voting for Jack are now not voting for Jack and believe me when I tell you this - the amount of people at the likes of Hartstown Church and Huntstown Church could not believe he would be so openly anti-democratic. That surprised me.

Fianna Fail locally, as in the semi retirees that walk with Jack everywhere, have informed him that he was the star of the show on Vincent Browne. They are giddy with excitement, but I think they are giddy that Jack seemed to take a position that appeased them more than anyone. remember the mid-wife that stood up and spoke about pro life? well that's the daughter of the man who went on RTE morning Ireland to tell of his heroics chasing the Carpenterstown burglar and admitting Jack was not there., You get the picture I'm painting?

I think he has done serious damage with young supporters and female supporters more than anyone and perhaps a lot of transfers.

So let me spell it out.

- What Jack said about the constitution and religion in schools in plainly wrong. Let's not candy floss it. He got it badly wrong.

- His position on refusing the people have a say on a constitutional referendum was worse than the educational gaff. A lot worse. You cannot be young, dynamic and a fresh face if you hold views on democracy that belong in the 40s.

Now, finally. Will it kill his core FF vote? No it won't. He made a calculated decision to hold out for the old fogie conservative vote and hopes to pull some of that off Leo as a result of Leo's position. His minder, an ex builder openly said it Immediately after the Vinny Browne show stopped recording. I heard him. It could work, but he has cut off a lot of other people who are Relatively young and not so conservative.

According to Twitter this morning, FF H.Q have made it plainly clear that he comes off all media between now and Friday, with the exception of Phoenix FM tonight which will involve all candidates.

NOTE: I've noticed a few newbies entering in to the forum here in recent days. I expected they would arrive well before now but expected them none the less. They know me and I know them. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yes you're definitely trying to paint a picture alright.

I am not sure I like this negative campaigning. I've seen fine gael at it on twitter also (locally).

I do wish canvassers would stick to what their own candidates are up to rather than what their arch enemies do or don't do.
    Etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

P.s. let me be clear. I am far from a FF/Jack Chambers fan but this type of canvassing really irks me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

amdublin wrote: »
    Yes you're definitely trying to paint a picture alright.

I am not sure I like this negative campaigning. I've seen fine gael at it on twitter also (locally).

I do wish canvassers would stick to what their own candidates are up to rather than what their arch enemies do or don't do.
    Etc.

I hear you. Let me paint another picture for you.

There is a group of canvassers who have gone through the Carpenterstown locality in recent days stating on the doors that the Independent candidate has links to Sinn fein. Just because you don't see it online doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

But sure FF wouldn't do that, would they. ;)

Every candidate and every party will do anything to get one over on the other. Usually its SF that attack DmcG, but he's not a threat to them on this occasion so they've left him alone. The AAA are now trying to take him out :eek:

Advertisement