Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I can't see Roderic doing that well. I know myself and a lot of people I have talked to have the same reaction to him, that he is a nice man who is dedicated but they just can't force themselves to give a preference to the Green Party. I think he will poll reasonably well but I just see him being a fair bit away from contention.

I've a lot of time for Roderic. Himself and TJ Clare did incredible work with Yes Equality for the mar ref.

Sorry if this is a silly question but what's wrong with greens that people "just can't force themselves"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Grudaire wrote: »
    Damn, I must have misheard. It's not up on the website to listen to yet
    http://www.newstalk.com/election2016/Dublin-West

I just went through their twitter to see what day it was, they don't seem to mention it but their twitter mentions that on both the 18th and the 20th they're doing Dublin Nortth West so I wonder if there's a mistake there and one of those days was Dublin West?

I'm certain I heard them doing Dublin West anyway, today is Limerick and Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I just went through their twitter to see what day it was, they don't seem to mention it but their twitter mentions that on both the 18th and the 20th they're doing Dublin Nortth West so I wonder if there's a mistake there and one of those days was Dublin West?

I'm certain I heard them doing Dublin West anyway, today is Limerick and Kerry.

After the one today they said it would be tomorrow at 8:50.. popcorn at the ready lads! :D

Cheers, I must be listening to so many different discussions they're all blending into one.

Has everyone got their polling cards? No sign of ours and we usually get them well in advance.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yeah, we got our polling cards a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

amdublin wrote: »

Sorry if this is a silly question but what's wrong with greens that people "just can't force themselves"?

They're still toxic to a lot of people after coalescing with Fianna Fail.

I would have been pretty indifferent to them but was impressed by Roderic when he called to my door. He's the only candidate who has called.

One other candidate sent a lone supporter around our estate who just rang the doorbell to hand me a leaflet.

(Has anybody else noticed a massive increase in the word "coalesce" during this election?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Cheers, I must be listening to so many different discussions they're all blending into one.

Has everyone got their polling cards? No sign of ours and we usually get them well in advance.

I don't think you actually need one, as long as you're registered and know your polling station. Just bring ID with you if it doesn't arrive.

Yeah, the obsessive compulsive in me is finding it irritating though!

edit: Crisis averted, just popped in the door there, along with the usual election leaflets, but also 2 individually addressed envelopes from Chambers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭horse7

Leaflet drop from Joan just in the door saying if you don't give me number 1 you will have coppenger or sinn fein. No mention of other candidates. She must see the writing on the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

RoG has been getting a lot of sympathy votes (for lack of a better term) from people ive talked to who just cant see him winning. Hes on the BOM of CCC which seems to have made him popular in some quarters too.

But hes green, the cost of which seems to put people off.

• Advertisement

But hes green, the cost of which seems to put people off.

To be honest every party seems to be somewhat toxic going into this election(except the Soc Dems perhaps.. but they're not in Dublin West). I thought the collapse of Labour would benefit the Greens more, but unfortunately not.

The Greens appeal to some voters, but not all voters. I think the people who would be willing to vote Green are mostly back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Grudaire wrote: »
    To be honest every party seems to be somewhat toxic going into this election(except the Soc Dems perhaps.. but they're not in Dublin West). I thought the collapse of Labour would benefit the Greens more, but unfortunately not.

The Greens appeal to some voters, but not all voters. I think the people who would be willing to vote Green are mostly back.

I am voting Green even though I know it will cost me money if they implement their policies.

They are the only party with a long-term vision.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Saw a few AAA people holding a banner at the Halfway House roundabout this morning. Oddly enough, their show hasn't convinced me to give them a vote.
    My wife pointed out that lots of the Leo posters have been removed on the stretch of road from Ashtown station to the Halfway, but dont worry it's all ok cos lots of Coppinger ones have arrived there instead. And it's handy cos they're all about 2-3 feet off the ground so really easy to see.
    I'm sure Leo just needed them somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Gaspode wrote: »
    Saw a few AAA people holding a banner at the Halfway House roundabout this morning. Oddly enough, their show hasn't convinced me to give them a vote.
    My wife pointed out that lots of the Leo posters have been removed on the stretch of road from Ashtown station to the Halfway, but dont worry it's all ok cos lots of Coppinger ones have arrived there instead. And it's handy cos they're all about 2-3 feet off the ground so really easy to see.
    I'm sure Leo just needed them somewhere else.

There was 3 lads at coolmine station yesterday holding that banner handing out leaflets. Good few of the leaflets torn up on the ground this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The banner is travelling around the constituency. It seems like a waste of manpower to have people holding a banner, when they could be out handing leaflets and talking to people.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It seems like a waste of manpower to have people holding a banner

The AAA's first job creation scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Sorry, meant it as a joke. No offense intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

AAA protestors on the bridge over the n3 at the first shopping centre exit again tonight. Why do the Gardai let them get away with repeatedly screwing up the traffic?

horse7 wrote: »
    Leaflet drop from Joan just in the door saying if you don't give me number 1 you will have coppenger or sinn fein. No mention of other candidates. She must see the writing on the wall.

Just read it. Really is a plea for votes, begging letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

The banner is travelling around the constituency. It seems like a waste of manpower to have people holding a banner, when they could be out handing leaflets and talking to people.

We're all on here discussing it though so it is getting people talking and sticking in people's head, whether the reasons for that are good or bad. I initially thought the same as you but then realised it's the first banner/poster I really noticed so it may not be a waste after all.

• Advertisement

Tasden wrote: »
    We're all on here discussing it though so it is getting people talking and sticking in people's head, whether the reasons for that are good or bad. I initially thought the same as you but then realised it's the first banner/poster I really noticed so it may not be a waste after all.

McGuinness standing with one at top of Auburn Avenue at Castleknock village at the minute

Assholes were also at the Grenhills bridge over the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I find the huge coppinger ones more offensive tbh

Dammit, bemoaning the lack of canvassers to myself and just as I pull up to my street from a quick trip to the shops I miss the SF crew walk away from the house.

You'll miss your chance until the next local elections :)

Thankfully we shouldn't have any bye-elections this time around :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭monicaali

i saw paul donnelly plus 1 walking around mount garrett estate 45 minutes ago, didnt knock or leaflet drop my house tho

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Dammit, bemoaning the lack of canvassers to myself and just as I pull up to my street from a quick trip to the shops I miss the SF crew walk away from the house.

I have a feeling we'll be back on this forum by August. I'm putting my €5 on a minority FG and I can also see Leo as leader during 2016....

monicaali wrote: »
    i saw paul donnelly plus 1 walking around mount garrett estate 45 minutes ago, didnt knock or leaflet drop my house tho

Did mine, wasn't bloody there. They were flying around.

As the guys say, we may have another opportunity before the end of the year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Coppinger is just toxic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Came home tonight to a relative mountain of Litir um Thoghcháin, SIX of them. Casey, Clare, Coppinger, McGuinness, O'Brien and O'Gorman. Last minute or what.

Laughed at some, despaired at others. Gone straight into green bin in the absence of a "not even if hell freezes over" bin which is where two of them would gave gone if I'd had one.

Advertisement