Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

This is like those blind gossip pieces you used to see in women's magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Also it is not like we are going to see Noone run again in this constituency, so it is not damaging her in the future.

I think you may be wrong here, she has moved to the constituency and it would make sense to build for the future.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

And we'd been doing so well up to now with people behaving in a polite and civil manner in this thread. Maybe we can knock it off with the personal attacks and go back to that before I start dishing out cards and/or bans, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Zaph wrote: »
    And we'd been doing so well up to now with people behaving in a polite and civil manner in this thread. Maybe we can knock it off with the personal attacks and go back to that before I start dishing out cards and/or bans, eh?

No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SidKelly

The irony of this post from a brand spanking new account. Brilliant :D

Why does it matter if the account is new or years old ? It's fact. I've explained my position. I'm not involved with any party. David is a good worker, let down by his entourage.

• Advertisement

SidKelly wrote: »
    Why does it matter if the account is new or years old ? It's fact. I've explained my position. I'm not involved with any party. David is a good worker, let down by his entourage.

Let down by his entourage! Ok - we'll re-visit that statement in time.

Right off to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Rosser wrote: »
    I think you may be wrong here, she has moved to the constituency and it would make sense to build for the future.

Does she live in the constituency now? I don't think FG will ever have enough votes to get two candidates elected here so would be surprised if she was willing to remain in the constituency with no real chance.

Meanwhile back on the ranch.....Joan hanging on was mentioned before the 3rd secret of Fatima started a few hours ago and I too have a feeling she will.

To be fair FG are keeping their side of the bargain and I expect them to transfer strongly to her while Coppinger won't get a sniff from FF or FG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

I'd love if Joan and Ruth Coppinger both failed to get a seat. Very unlikely though unless we see a massive upset from McGuinness or O Gorman. Joan Burton is terrible and way out of touch, and will almost certainly lose the leadership probably this year even if she is elected. She also looks very tired and should probably retire, another 5 years is too much. In saying that as much as I detest moanbag Joan, I suppose we are better of with her than Coppinger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Rosser wrote: »
    Meanwhile back on the ranch.....Joan hanging on was mentioned before the 3rd secret of Fatima started a few hours ago and I too have a feeling she will.

Ha 3rd secret of Fatima😄!!

• Advertisement

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Does she live in the constituency now? I don't think FG will ever have enough votes to get two candidates elected here so would be surprised if she was willing to remain in the constituency with no real chance.

Yes apparently so, there was a piece in the Indo (I think last Saturday) where she said she was here.

You're probably right but if she could get a foothold on the Navan Road / Kinvara etc and get Leo's transfers there's a slim chance but a chance none the less.

In saying that as much as I detest moanbag Joan

Funny I'd have agreed 100% a few weeks ago but I met her twice on the campaign and she was not at all what I expected - very nice and actually engaged on issues and let's loads of other 'punters' pass by while talking to me.

Can't say I 'd give her the first preference but she will feature highly which might just be enough to get her past Coppinger if that's how others think on the day.

I can find zero positives for Coppinger even her posters are miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RoiSoleil

I was fully intending to give David McGuiness my second preference later today. After reading this thread this evening, that is no longer the case and he will receive no preference from me. This "I have a secret but I'm not telling" lark from a member of his campaign has put me right off.

The way I see it t is that Leo Varadkar and Paul Donnelly are guaranteed seats. After that, it's between Chambers, Burton, Coppinger and McGuiness for the other 2 seats with Chambers probably taking the third seat. My intention was to choose the 2 candidates from these four that I found the least objectionable. Until this evening, that was Joan Burton and David McGuiness. I was planning on giving no preferences at all to Chambers, Donnelly and O'Brien. I'm not too sure what to do with my second preference now to be honest. Maybe Clare but he doesn't seem to have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I don't think Stephen Donnelly is running this year. TJ has a chance if he gets the undecided votes and there seems to be more of those this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RoiSoleil

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I don't think Stephen Donnelly is running this year.

Indeed. Fixed it now. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/garda-investigate-poison-pen-letters-34487618.html

I'd guess something to do with this. Published in indo at half two. Does it not count as election related? What's rules of embargo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/garda-investigate-poison-pen-letters-34487618.html

I'd guess something to do with this. Published in indo at half two. Does it not count as election related? What's rules of embargo?

It's a BROADCAST moratorium, applies only to Irish registered broadcasters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Jaysus I know the Indo has a FF bias, but I really don't know how they can justify publishing that article on the day of the bloody election.

Wonder who monitors the moratorium..

athtrasna wrote:
    It's a BROADCAST moratorium, applies only to Irish registered broadcasters

Just looked it up, you're right the moratorium only applies to TV and radio, not print media... News to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

[quote="SidKelly;98858338" Maybe FF didn't shaft David and just put the safer candidate forward.[/quote]

ah but the truth is that brian lenihan chose David to be his successor

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    In other election related stuff, there are still tons of posters up near polling stations. Remember the law is, no political activity (including posters) within 50 metres of the entrance to polling station grounds from 6.30am tomorrow.

If you spot any report them to the Gardai in your polling station, or local Garda station. You can also report it to the presiding officer inside the polling station.

These three reported outside Blanchardstown vec

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

athtrasna wrote: »
    These three reported outside Blanchardstown vec

Renua seem to have no ladders. I haven't seen one of their posters higher than 1.5m anywhere in D.15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

The irony of this post from a brand spanking new account. Brilliant :D

Cop on John. You have been rumbled as cheats. Fess up.

genericguy wrote: »
    Cop on John. You have been rumbled as cheats. Fess up.

I made a comment yesterday about someone's Twitter account and if it is that of ChuckNorris I had no idea and wasn't trying to identify him, but going off the name you have said I might have.

Very sad attempt at mud slinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Renua seem to have no ladders. I haven't seen one of their posters higher than 1.5m anywhere in D.15
    They're targeting small minded voters.

I said something was up in Dublin west and now it has been confirmed in the media.

There has been a serious letter doing the rounds. It was not some sort of last ditch effort to mention it on here as some way to alter a bloody election. If you think boards.ie have an influence, good luck with that.

It's interesting to read that the entire document has been dismissed as rubbish. I suppose they had to.

The letter had to originate from a very senior member of the local organisation. Nobody else could have been aware if that level of detail that is contained within it.

Surprised it's only getting reported today - the letter seems to have been sent a while ago.
    The letter had to originate from a very senior member of the local organisation. Nobody else could have been aware if that level of detail that is contained within it.

That senior member of the local organisation is saying that the letter forged his signature - which begs the question who sent it!?

It sounds too ridiculous to be a smear attempt - but doesn't make much sense if it's not..

ciaran76 wrote: »

Oh they have some...up nicely high in waterville where there really should be no posters. Her and Chambers and Burton.

Grudaire wrote: »
    Surprised it's only getting reported today - the letter seems to have been sent a while ago.

That senior member of the local organisation is saying that the letter forged his signature - which begs the question who sent it!?

It sounds too ridiculous to be a smear attempt - but doesn't make much sense if it's not..

If I speculated on it here, I would get it form all angles. I told you something last night and had it from all sides. I was totally on the money.

Before anyone asks, I could not have been aware of the level of detail on it so don't even go there.

• Advertisement

I said something was up in Dublin west and now it has been confirmed in the media.

There has been a serious letter doing the rounds. It was not some sort of last ditch effort to mention it on here as some way to alter a bloody election. If you think boards.ie have an influence, good luck with that.

It's interesting to read that the entire document has been dismissed as rubbish. I suppose they had to.

It is confirmed it is a forgery. It would not be the first time in politics to happen and I am sure where it originated from hoped it would have more of an impact.

FF can likely turn it to a positive.

You knew about it days ago but waited until last night to post about it, I doubt anyone expects boards to alter an election but word of mouth could alter quite a few votes from what is posted on here and I am sure that is what you were attempting to achieve.

It will be interesting to see where it originated.

Advertisement