Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

If I speculated on it here, I would get it form all angles. I told you something last night and had it from all sides. I was totally on the money.

Before anyone asks, I could not have been aware of the level of detail on it so don't even go there.

Nobody said you were wrong, in fact most people just questioned your timing and motives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Anything else election related going on? Lettergate is sooooo last night ;)

Saw Burton canvassers at Castleknock train station this morning. One commuter was insisting the moratorium applied to leaflets and canvassing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

AGC wrote: »
    It is confirmed it is a forgery. It would not be the first time in politics to happen and I am sure where it originated from hoped it would have more of an impact.

FF can likely turn it to a positive.

You knew about it days ago but waited until last night to post about it, I doubt anyone expects boards to alter an election but word of mouth could alter quite a few votes from what is posted on here and I am sure that is what you were attempting to achieve.

It will be interesting to see where it originated.

I felt it interesting to note in the article that the man accused of sending it said he received it last Friday. My understanding is that no one received a copy until Monday. WOW.

I think someone might have got angry with a few drinkies and sent something out of anger. The person responsible has to be a current and active FF member but also a very senior member.

I'm a former member and still have a lot of friends there. They believe a lot of the letter to be true. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Anyone voted yet? and was it busy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

athtrasna wrote: »
    Anything else election related going on? Lettergate is sooooo last night ;)

Saw Burton canvassers at Castleknock train station this morning. One commuter was insisting the moratorium applied to leaflets and canvassing

It was a desert of all things election related on my trips this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Kiwi_knock wrote: »

I was the only one in Blanchardstown vec around 8am this morning but that's quite typical of my experience of voting there for past 12 years.

Nobody said you were wrong, in fact most people just questioned your timing and motives.

I have always given an angle on what's going on locally, even outside politics on this forum.

There was no Motive, I gave no detail of what's contained in the letter.

May i say to you AGC, I believe quite a lot of it to be accurate but that's a personal opinion. Some areas as i said yesterday, I was not aware of and so cannot be sure if true or false.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »

Huntstown was quiet. The majority will vote this evening as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Scoil Thomáis, Laurel Lodge was busy enough this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It is confirmed it is a forgery.

How could it be confirmed to be a forgery so soon? Who gets to make the definitive assessment on it being a forgery?

• Advertisement

How could it be confirmed to be a forgery so soon? Who gets to make the definitive assessment on it being a forgery?

Going by the article the person who supposedly signed it said his signature was forged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

How would the 'forger' have access to all members addresses? Sounds very odd to me, it took 10 days for FF to officially admit to its existence. If it was a forgery I would have thought they would have been out immediately to declare it so considering the distance to the election at the time.

Instead it took them to the eve/morning of the election to say it's a forgery making it look like they were doing their best to keep it quiet.

€€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Going by the article the person who supposedly signed it said his signature was forged.

That doesn't really 'confirm' it as a forgery though, its plausible that he may be having senders regret. (Used to happen to me a lot with text messaging and red wine).
    I'd accept it does seem far more likely than not to be a forgery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

That doesn't really 'confirm' it as a forgery though, its plausible that he may be having senders regret. (Used to happen to me a lot with text messaging and red wine).

That's a big binge to type, print and post so many letters :D

Would love to get the inside story on this :(

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

Interesting.

Interesting that you bold that piece and not the line saying it's far more likely to be a forgery

Blured wrote: »
    Interesting that you bold that piece and not the line saying it's fair more likely to be a forgery

I genuinely hope the Gardai have been informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RoiSoleil

It was not some sort of last ditch effort to mention it on here as some way to alter a bloody election. If you think boards.ie have an influence, good luck with that.

I wouldn't dismiss the influence of boards.ie just like that. Your "I've got a secret but I'm not telling" really put me off giving David McGuiness a preference. It came across as immature. I was going to give him my second preference. I voted this morning and I gave him no preference. That was a direct result of your behaviour here last night. You lost your canditate a high preference. Content on fora such as boards can have a real influence on voters especially when it comes from someone so closely connected to a candidate.

RoiSoleil wrote: »
    I wouldn't dismiss the influence of boards.ie just like that. Your "I've got a secret but I'm not telling" really put me off giving David McGuiness a preference. It came across as immature. I was going to give him my second preference. I voted this morning and I gave him no preference. That was a direct result of your behaviour here last night. You lost your canditate a high preference. Content on fora such as boards can have a real influence on voters especially when it comes from someone so closely connected to a candidate.

Boards.ie has no influence. FB and Twitter has replaced a lot of its early prominence in my opinion. There was no secret. Many knew about this letter and I explained it was too libelous to give you the content. The independent is taking the same line and also only refers to a letter and no detail.

You need to think about the bigger picture. Someone within FF locally has had enough and has broadcast the mother load to an awful lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I cannot say anything as I'd most likely lose my house if I did, but I read something today that is shocking.

It appears someone in the inner circle of FF locally has released the mother load of questions in relation to the local parties conduct in recent years.

Whomever is responsible has deep, deep knowledge and must be within the inner most circle.

It details shenanigans that could actually destroy the party locally, regardless of tomorrows outcome.

Every dog on the street is talking about it.

One of the problems that political insiders have is that they believe that outsiders care about this sort of thing. They don't. The voters won't be changing their mind because of some scandal inside Dublin West FF, even if such scandal exists. It will be exciting for those in the know in other parties but for the ordinary punter it will be one big yawn.

Godge wrote: »
    One of the problems that political insiders have is that they believe that outsiders care about this sort of thing. They don't. The voters won't be changing their mind because of some scandal inside Dublin West FF, even if such scandal exists. It will be exciting for those in the know in other parties but for the ordinary punter it will be one big yawn.

I agree with you 100% and I said as much last night. If the contents of the letter ever see the light of day, you will switch on fairly quickly. It goes beyond internal party politics.

Boards.ie has no influence.

It did in my case.

I've been following this thread with interest along with watching debates and reading up on the candidates. I can't make it clearer. Your actions on this forum influenced my vote today.

It did in my case.
    Totally your choice. Who was your first preference?

It did in my case.

I've been following this thread with interest along with watching debates and reading up on the candidates. I can't make it clearer. Your actions on this forum influenced my vote today.

Even before last night they had influenced mine. As I said previously.

Totally your choice. Who was your first preference?

I don't mind saying. As far as I am concerned I was voting for who would get the thirdand fourth seats. That seemed to be between Burton, Coppinger, Chambers and McGuinness. It was a case of picking the 2 least objectionable candidates. I have no time for Coppinger or FF. I also thing what FF did to David McGuiness was disgraceful. That left Burton and McGuiness. I gave Burton a very unenthusiastic number 1. In the end I gave TJ Clare number 2 and then continued with a few more preferences. TJ is an outside bet but he seems to match my own political outlook which would be moderate left.

The whole business last night just didn't sit right with me. I'm just giving you my honest opinion. David seems like a decent guy. I did have some reservations about his judgement in view of his FF past. I don't understand how any young person would want to associated with the party that wrecked this country. I was willing to get past that and give him a shot. Last night's carry on on this forum just brought back those doubts. That's as honest as I can be.

Even before last night they had influenced mine. As I said previously.

And as I said previously, your allegiance is laughable as you know me and I know you;)

Your candidate said he would deny the Irish people a referendum because it conflicted with his own views or potentially would. That in my opinion and many others is unforgivable and undemocratic.

I don't mind saying. As far as I am concerned I was voting for who would get the thirdand fourth seats. That seemed to be between Burton, Coppinger, Chambers and McGuinness. It was a case of picking the 2 least objectionable candidates. I have no time for Coppinger or FF. I also thing what FF did to David McGuiness was disgraceful. That left Burton and McGuiness. I gave Burton a very unenthusiastic number 1. In the end I gave TJ Clare number 2 and then continued with a few more preferences. TJ is an outside bet but he seems to match my own political outlook which would be moderate left.

The whole business last night just didn't sit right with me. I'm just giving you my honest opinion. David seems like a decent guy. I did have some reservations about his judgement in view of his FF past. I don't understand how any young person would want to associated with the party that wrecked this country. I was willing to get past that and give him a shot. Last night's carry on on this forum just brought back those doubts. That's as honest as I can be.

You're entitled to your views, but what I posted has now been backed in the Irish independent, no matter how poorly that sits with you, I didn't make it up.

Believe it or not, it's not easy trying to keep checking in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

You're entitled to your views, but what I posted has now been backed in the Irish independent, no matter how poorly that sits with you, I didn't make it up.

You're missing that it's the 'how' you posted, not what you posted. It was childish and gossipy.

• Advertisement

MrMorooka wrote: »
    You're missing that it's the 'how' you posted, not what you posted. It was childish and gossipy.

Childish??? No it's far too serious for that.

Advertisement