Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I've just seen photos of Joan Burton voting in Dublin Central? Always thought she lived in Castleknock!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

athtrasna wrote: »
    I've just seen photos of Joan Burton voting in Dublin Central? Always thought she lived in Castleknock!

I think she lives in Cabra. Doesn't Frances Fitzgerald live in Castleknock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

And as I said previously, your allegiance is laughable as you know me and I know you;)

Your candidate said he would deny the Irish people a referendum because it conflicted with his own views or potentially would. That in my opinion and many others is unforgivable and undemocratic.

Once again you have no idea who I am.

The independent article confirmed a letter went out and is with the Gardai now. It is presumably with the gardai because FF believe it to be sent fraudulently. If the indo have it I am sure all other news agencies have it and know the truth behind it.

From the outside this has certainly done no harm to Chambers as it looks like someone playing dirty politics, simple as that.

His decision to say he was Pro Life will not change many people's minds in the ballot box, some maybe but not enough to alter the outcome.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I think she lives in Cabra. Doesn't Frances Fitzgerald live in Castleknock?

She does. I'm not a fan of people who don't live in the Constituency thinking they can represent it. How did I miss that about Joan. Would have affected my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RoiSoleil

MrMorooka wrote: »
    You're missing that it's the 'how' you posted, not what you posted. It was childish and gossipy.

Exactly. As I said, it cane across as a bit immature. "I know something you don't" kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

She does. I'm not a fan of people who don't live in the Constituency thinking they can represent it. How did I miss that about Joan. Would have affected my vote.

Do you think it had an affect over previous years? I also never realised she lived outside the constituency but I don't think it affected her work.

I would usually have an issue with "blow ins", Paul Murphy being the biggest offender I think. His reasons for moving around so often were purely to get elected anywhere, rather than an affinity to the various constituencies he trapsed around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I don't think it makes much of a difference, she stills relatively close to the constituency. She wasn't really parachuted into a constituency like some candidates in this election.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rwald7

She lives on the Old Cabra Road, about one kilometre away from the constituency boarder between Dublin Central and Dublin West, so it's not like she's living on another planet....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

She said Dublin west is a great place to bring up a family. I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

RoiSoleil wrote: »
    It did in my case.

I've been following this thread with interest along with watching debates and reading up on the candidates. I can't make it clearer. Your actions on this forum influenced my vote today.

As a person unconnected with any political party, i think i speak for everyone when i say no one gives a fig about how you are influenced or not.

As a D15 resident who is in Oz at the moment and cant vote, i would just say to everyone to get out and make your mark if you have the opportunity, howsoever you choose to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Larbre34 wrote: »
    As a D15 resident who is in Oz at the moment and cant vote, i would just say to everyone to get out and make your mark if you have the opportunity, howsoever you choose to.

I think this is the most important thing. There's nothing worse than listening to people giving out about politicians and then saying something like "I didn't vote for any of them because they're all useless". If you haven't exercised your right to vote then you lose the right to be taken seriously when it comes to complaining about the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Zaph wrote: »
    I think this is the most important thing. There's nothing worse than listening to people giving out about politicians and then saying something like "I didn't vote for any of them because they're all useless". If you haven't exercised your right to vote then you lose the right to be taken seriously when it comes to complaining about the government.

here here, I was in before the Garda even arrived this morning at the school in Ongar.

It didnt skip my notice that the Garda parked their van in what appeared to have a disabled space sign over it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Hopefully residents in Dublin Bay South and Dublin Rathdown don't apply the same thinking as it'd basically amount to a wealth test in those constituencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

conor-mr2 wrote: »
    here here, I was in before the Garda even arrived this morning at the school in Ongar.

It didnt skip my notice that the Garda parked their van in what appeared to have a disabled space sign over it.

No Garda at our polling station around 12.45pm.

Busy enough.

January wrote: »

Busy enough.

None in mine at 8am either

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Steady enough in mountview/philip of the apostle at 9am this morning

Turn out apparently is quite good relative to the rest of the country in Dublin West, from what I gathered listening to the News at 1 earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I heard Blanch village was in and around 20% while Castleknock was 19% and the remainder less. No surprises as there is a lot of retired or semi-retired who vote early.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

January wrote: »

Busy enough.

Those days are long gone. 1 or 2 roaming Gardai between 6 or 8 polling stations and the presiding officer has their mobile no.

Today was the first day I noticed no garda at my polling station.

• Advertisement

I don't recall ever seeing a Garda at any polling station I've ever voted at.

What's a guard needed for at a polling station??

I don't recall ever seeing a Garda at any polling station I've ever voted at.

Me neither??

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

I saw a car driving up the Ongar Road lugging an "Out with Labour for the Real Left" style trailer for Coppinger a short while ago. Does that kind of behavior not fall under the moratorium? Cheeky underhanded last minute things are such an annoyance on polling day.

No, the moratorium only covers broadcast media. Candidates can campaign as much as they like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

No, the moratorium only covers broadcast media. Candidates can campaign as much as they like today.

they might as well campaign today, when they get in its 5yrs of feet up and a nice pension to look forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

they might as well campaign today, when they get in its 5yrs of feet up and a nice pension to look forward to

Sorry but that is just a really tired attitude and certainly doesn't apply to the ones who get a Ministerial portfolio.

I think the vast majority want to do a good job and work hard with not a lot of thanks for it.

I agree. Almost everyone who puts themselves forward for public office these days does so for the right reasons imo. They just know that they won't get away with a lot of the crap that went on in the past as they will be called out on it. Obviously I said almost everyone as this doesn't include Michael Lowry. I've no idea wtf goes on in the minds of voters in Tipperary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sinn fein just knocked looking for our vote. I've already been out. Paul donnolly himself was around putting letters in the doors this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Tyrrelstown at c. 40% at 7pm

Advertisement