Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

thomasj wrote: »

Burton doing much better than expected? That's disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Donnelly will get there on that tally, Coppinger more likely to go off the cliff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

Much lower for Donnelly than expected but should get transfers

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mikeydublin

Does anyone know if the count in RDS is open to the public?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Donnelly will get there on that tally, Coppinger more likely to go off the cliff

We can hope (that Coppinger goes off the cliff that is)

I'm loving this thread at the moment as previously people were cagey about who they were going to vote for, now the count is starting all gloves are off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

Interesting image from littlepace
    https://www.twitter.com/ShonaMurrayNT/status/703512341514686464?s=09

Remember to take those first tallies with a fine grain of salt, the boxes mainly opened so far would be Burton's area and castleknock etc. A long long way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Another pathetic reason to want someone elected though. You either vote for a person's policies or you don't, none of these crap spurious reasons. It's how you end up with a bad government.

But I reckon you wanted him elected from the outset anyway, you're just throwing in the above reason to be mischievous.

Ironic given your reason above for wanting to see him elected.

I simply said I hope he is elected. The letter is not the reason. I have shown support for him in the thread since the very start. I made it quite clear I would be happy to see him given a chance and disagreed with a lot of reasons outlined for him not suitable, age etc...

My reasons for wanting him elected have nothing to do with anything over the last few days. My opinion was made up a good while ago. Preferences certainly changed.

You have been on the thread throughout and you would have seen that so don't try and say my reasons are pathetic.

50% of boxes tallied Varadkar (FG) 19% Chambers (FF) 17% Burton (Lab) 16% Coppinger (AAA) 16%
    Donnelly (SF) 13% McGuinness (Ind) 7% O'Gorman (GP) 4% Noone (FG) 3%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

ongarite wrote: »
    50% of boxes tallied Varadkar (FG) 19% Chambers (FF) 17% Burton (Lab) 16% Coppinger (AAA) 16%
    Donnelly (SF) 13% McGuinness (Ind) 7% O'Gorman (GP) 4% Noone (FG) 3%

Very suprised at Burton being that high. Many commentators had her written off.

• Advertisement

Burton failing back into Donnelly range now, transfers will be key to her re-election.

76% of boxes now tallied Varadkar (FG) 19% Chambers (FF) 17% Coppinger (AAA) 16% Burton (Lab) 15%
    Donnelly (SF) 14% McGuinness (Ind) 7% O'Gorman (GP) 4%

ongarite wrote: »
    Burton failing back into Donnelly range now, transfers will be key to her re-election.

76% of boxes now tallied Varadkar (FG) 19% Chambers (FF) 17% Coppinger (AAA) 16% Burton (Lab) 15%
    Donnelly (SF) 14% McGuinness (Ind) 7% O'Gorman (GP) 4%

I don't know, I'm starting to get the feeling it's the usual bunch from the dail , except chambers taking Higgins spot.

I get the feeling it will once again be close but no cigar for Donnelly. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

thomasj wrote: »

Surely that puts Joan in ahead of Paul Donnelly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

McGuinness transfers will be crucial to decide.

O'Gorman and Noone will transfer more to Burton but if McGuinness goes solidly to SF, then there is a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭secman

There's is still 19 % floating around behind them, depends on mix and transfers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Oh thats tight. Given the new precedent about ballots being blanked beyond number choices, this could take weeks and Courts and the divil knows what. Who will transfer to Chambers I ask myself..... Castleknock may yet not carry the day..

Based on those figures, no one elected on first count.

After the talk of who varadkars 2nd preference votes should go to, he won't have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

So final tally is out, odd mood in the count centre.. Uncertain of the final result. No transfers from Leo to help Joan, but she piled strongly herself.

O'Gorman got 4.2% by the tally, which is lower than I hoped but a big improvement on the last general election.

My own read of it is that the polls showing Joan in trouble really focused the minds, and took any soft voters to Labour..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

• Advertisement

4 votes between Coppinger & Burton.
    WOW, every vote counts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

With the possibility of fianna fail getting 40 seats, will leo be the next leader of Fianna Gael and the next taoiseach??

I'd say second election is more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

oblivious wrote:
    With the possibility of fianna fail getting 40 seats, will leo be the next leader of Fianna Gael and the next taoiseach??

He didn't poll particularly convincingly this time around.

I think FG like their leaders to be able to carry another candidate in their constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Someone told me that Jack Chambers was referred to as a doctor on the radio.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Grudaire wrote: »
    He didn't poll particularly convincingly this time around.

I think FG like their leaders to be able to carry another candidate in their constituency.

I don't think that's ever likely to happen in this constituency. I think Leo will be party leader one day, but I think he'll have to wait his turn. Simon Coveney would be my guess as the next leader. He's got a longer record in the Dáil than Leo and comes from a good old-school FG family. He also has a second FG TD in his constituency if that's important to the party, although I've seen suggestions this morning that Jerry Buttimer could be in trouble, and there mightn't be many constituencies outside of Enda's that have more than one FG TD so they may have to rethink that particular strategy.

Interesting to see how these transfers go

https://twitter.com/RTEdublinWEST/status/703572907339939840?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Someone told me that Jack Chambers was referred to as a doctor on the radio.

Yeah RTÉ referred to him as a doctor, they were saying that Leo's surplus will help Jack and that it was two doctors helping each other out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

oblivious wrote: »
    One can only hope not.

• Advertisement

Surprised to see Donnolly having to battle with the rest of them.

Advertisement