Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Coppinger getting re-elected?? F*ck that.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Coppinger getting re-elected?? F*ck that.

Yeah, not too happy about that. But if it means Donnelly isn't elected it's marginally the lesser of two evils as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, 1 or the other I can live with. I said the last election that she's harmless in the dail, but this time around if more from her grouping get elected then they may manage speaking rights at leaders question time without having to create a pact with other independents.

And she does like to speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Very likely that labour will not have speaking rights in the next Dail!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

Sounds a bit harsh but We weren't really spoilt for choice in this election were we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Very interesting. I thought Leo would have surplus and elected on first count. And donnelly would poll second. When's first full count due in?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Joe Higgins on RTE saying they are confident the transfers from early eliminations will go to Coppinger and that she'll take the third seat with Joan and Donnelly fighting it out for final seat. Can't see Noone, Clare or O'Gorman transferring strongly to Coppinger??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Surprised to see Donnolly having to battle with the rest of them.

Sinn Fein seem to have spent a lot of money in this constituency. If Donnelly doesn't manage to get in, and I don't think he will, there there will be some doubt around him as a candidate considering the higher level of Sinn Fein candidates being elected elsewhere around the country.

Very interesting. I thought Leo would have surplus and elected on first count. And donnelly would poll second. When's first full count due in?

It was about to be given a few minutes ago but something happened, someone wanted to check something or something like that.

It's due at any moment now.

edit; discussing spoiled votes apparently.

• Advertisement

Joe Higgins on RTE saying they are confident the transfers from early eliminations will go to Coppinger and that she'll take the third seat with Joan and Donnelly fighting it out for final seat. Can't see Noone, Clare or O'Gorman transferring strongly to Coppinger??

Neither do I. But I think he might be basing his guess on tallies, rather than who the transfers are coming from. A journalist from TheJournal.ie tweeted earlier that the transfers are going all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

I'd say a recount is on the cards here; sounds like all parties are arguing over spoiled votes already, even for the first count

I don't understand it, they're put aside anyway so I can't imagine them making any difference at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

There was a significant number marked with x's for candidates they didn't want to support. Technically not valid, but clear preference demonstrated IMO.

Guessing they're arguing them

Grudaire wrote: »
    There was a significant number marked with x's for candidates they didn't want to support. Technically not valid, but clear preference demonstrated IMO.

Guy on the Politics Café forum started a thread yesterday after doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

enough to have an impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Grudaire wrote: »

The voting procedure was drummed into me in national school. How do so many people get it so wrong every time?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Guy on the Politics Café forum started a thread yesterday after doing the same.

I saw that thread and thought he was clearly a bit special for doing that. It seems he may not be quite as special as I thought.

thomasj wrote:
    Many enough to have an impact?

Given how close this race is I would say yes. I saw at least 7 arguable ballots in the five boxes opened in front of me..

hardCopy wrote:
    The voting procedure was drummed into me in national school. How do so many people get it so wrong every time?

Several candidates sent mock ups of how to fill in a ballot..!

It's definitely not taught well enough, there's clearly confusion in the electorate..

Or perhaps a justifiable test to ensure you know enough to vote :D

• Advertisement

Maybe they are arguing over votes like this.

CcPKQKuWwAIz2pF.jpg

1st count: Burton 6,445, Chambers 6,917, Coppinger 6,520, Donnelly 6,034, Varadkar 8,247, McGuinness 2,991. Quota 8,391

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Burton in a dog fight here to keep her seat

CcPSdJ8W0AAuT9b.jpg

Burton in a dog fight here to keep her seat

She'll be more transfer friendly than Donnelly so I reckon she'll retain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

McGuinness' political career looks over. If you can't make it as an independent this time out, you probably never will make. His last chance is for Donnelly to fall short and he does a Chris Andrews and joins SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Can't see Donnelly bridging the gap to Burton. Won't be too transfer friendly

Godge wrote: »
    McGuinness' political career looks over. If you can't make it as an independent this time out, you probably never will make. His last chance is for Donnelly to fall short and he does a Chris Andrews and joins SF.

I think he certainly needed to be a lot closer to Burton/Coppinger/Donnelly to be considered a viable candidate for future elections. He'll continue to do well in local elections, but I don't think he'll ever make the breakthrough to national politics now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Godge wrote: »

This is a man that joined ff as batt o keeffe was fleecing teachers, and he a teacher himself. Told my father he didn't believe in FF but that "you do what you need to do", then fooked off in a huff slating FF when they chose a slicker bloke over him. He'd join the nazi party if he thought it would guarantee him a seat, salary and pension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

genericguy wrote: »
    This is a man that joined ff as batt o keeffe was fleecing teachers, and he a teacher himself. Told my father he didn't believe in FF but that "you do what you need to do", then fooked off in a huff slating FF when they chose a slicker bloke over him. He'd join the nazi party if he thought it would guarantee him a seat, salary and pension.

We get it you don't like the guy, but there's no need for comments like that.

Advertisement