Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

No idea what government we'll get. Has to be another election?

There was a labour candidate who lost seat on Rte that said the electorate has rejected the coalition so the onus is on rest to form the government. Can't see how they'd do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There was a labour candidate who lost seat on Rte that said the electorate has rejected the coalition so the onus is on rest to form the government. Can't see how they'd do it though.

Herding_Cats.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

athtrasna wrote: »
    Astounded at the SF vote, I would have bet a lot on Donnelly walking in if I was stupid enough to bet on politics. Where did it go?

I've seen some suggestions that it was becaue SF were basically telling people at the doors that his seat was all but got which backfired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Zaph wrote: »
    I don't think he's cynical at all, because that suggests a level of intelligence. He's simply a puppet for the local party elders who wouldn't have got elected themselves so they had to find someone to mould in their own image. Maybe it's a good thing he got elected as I can't see him doing anything between now and the next election and hopefully the electorate will also see that and let him know exactly what they think of him then.

From March 10, Jack.chambers@oir.ie ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

No idea what government we'll get. Has to be another election?

That was Joanne Tuffy causing a bit of mischief. She knows full well that there's no chance that FF and SF will go into government together.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I've seen some suggestions that it was becaue SF were basically telling people at the doors that his seat was all but got which backfired.

That sounds like a crazy approach doesn't it
    *knocks on door* "oh hello, I am canvassing for Donnelly but don't worry we don't need your vote he's got it sewn up already"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Murt10

Terrible news for little Brendan Howlin.

Now he will have to challenge Joan for the leadership of the party.

If he ever gets it I'm done with Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

amdublin wrote: »
    That sounds like a crazy approach doesn't it
    *knocks on door* "oh hello, I am canvassing for Donnelly but don't worry we don't need your vote he's got it sewn up already"

Yeah most love to here via the media there doing poor. It thens to mobilise there supports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

amdublin wrote: »
    I am happy Burton kept her seat. Not happy with Ruth Coppwhinger getting in, but a positive that Donnelly did not. IMO
    Leo V has never delivered for me...was going to say talks a good game, but he doesn't even do that.

I just want stability in our Government. But not sure what we have now! Really don't want to be back voting in a couple of months.

Why are you happy she got in ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

When somebody makes a comment about somebody joining the Nazi party, f ucking right I'll tell them.

Pfft. Get a grip. I dislike that spoofer intensely and I stand by my comment. He would crawl through the gates of hell across broken glass to get out of doing an actual day's work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Interesting thing about the those who say the people have rejected FG is that they all say the onus in so FG & FF to form a government.

What about their onus to put something on the table, why have e.g. an independent alliance if you never want to enter power?

They're like dogs chasing their tails, wouldn't know what to do if they caught it .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Im astonished SF dropped the ball on their vote management like that. Pleased, but astonished.

Now please, get rid of every trace of those friggin posters before i get back from Australia. And outlaw them from now on, they contribute nothing for an electorate which has once again shown itself to be plugged in, informed, discriminating and nuanced...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Im astonished SF dropped the ball on their vote management like that. Pleased, but astonished.

Now please, get rid of every trace of those friggin posters before i get back from Australia. And outlaw them from now on, they contribute nothing for an electorate which has once again shown itself to be plugged in, informed, discriminating and nuanced...

I noticed a lot of them were already gone from Carpenterstown by 4 pm today. Chambers crew were doing the rounds when I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

hardCopy wrote:
    I noticed a lot of them were already gone from Carpenterstown by 4 pm today. Chambers crew were doing the rounds when I passed.

Surprised he didn't start taking then down last week with the huge number he put up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sinn fein never once said that Paul donnolly was a sure thing, in fact Paul himself went around in Friday morning telling people that he wasn't a sure thing that not one vote had been cast and if people wanted him in to get out and give him their number 1. In fact it was coppinger that was telling people that donnolly was a sure thing and to vote for her otherwise Burton would get in.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a sinn fein voter but Donnolly put in the leg work and something happened that people thought he was safe enough to not vote for him.

I'm so disappointed with my constituency, especially around mulhuddart. Change indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

So angry that Chambers got elected. What an absolute joke. Glad to see Coppinger destroy him on RTE earlier.

eire1 wrote: »
    So angry that Chambers got elected. What an absolute joke. Glad to see Coppinger destroy him on RTE earlier.

Missed that, is the clip available anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

eire1 wrote: »
    Fair play to him I say. Played a clever game, or at least his advisers did, and he has created a career for himself that should see him financially stable for the rest of his life if he plays his cards right. Save your anger for the thousands who voted him in; the nameless, faceless, mindless disciples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

Anyone hoping that we may be going to a second election?

He was elected this time, doesn't mean he has to be elected next time. He is a unifying individual, people on all sides dislike him. The campaign to make him a short term politician starts now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He was elected this time, doesn't mean he has to be elected next time. He is a unifying individual, people on all sides dislike him. The campaign to make him a short term politician starts now.

Not just on boards, but I see this across Twitter. I don't think many realised not just his stance on the 8th, but the fact he doesn't want us plebs to have a say on it either.

On the flip side, the conservatives in the constituency have only really him to vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Ruth put Jack back in his place when he said he represented all the young people. She called him out on his views on abortion, and he argued that she was politicising the topic of abortion. Jack has received quite a lot of commentary on-line about his views, and a few funny comments about his hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Jack has received quite a lot of commentary on-line about his views, and a few funny comments about his hair.
    If he even did care, he has a 90k salary to sort the hair out now anyway.
    He has the staunch support of the FF electorate in Dublin 15, and if he continues with his moderately conservative views, that won't change. There is nothing short term about going into politics at his age and running a campaign for the Dail like he did and succeeding. He's in for the long haul if he chooses to be. He could be a political powerhouse in 5 years time with some polishing and practice. He has plenty of time. He's not my cup of tea, but I respect the accomplishment and the career he has created for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Talking of Chambers... Is there any more word on the mysterious 'poison pen' letter?

thomasj wrote: »
    Anyone hoping that we may be going to a second election?

Not really because I think SF will be a bit better organised and Donnelly would definitely get in.

Grudaire wrote: »
    Talking of Chambers... Is there any more word on the mysterious 'poison pen' letter?

I doubt there will be now that dayvih mcguinness is out of the race.

From what I've heard of the letter it's far from a poison pen letter, more an exposé of what's been going on to get jack where he is now. Maybe I'm belong naiive but I genuinely don't believe the McGuinness camp is behind it. He's not the only one to be upset by the Chambers camp I'm sure.

From what I've heard of the letter it's far from a poison pen letter, more an exposé of what's been going on to get jack where he is now. Maybe I'm belong naiive but I genuinely don't believe the McGuinness camp is behind it. He's not the only one to be upset by the Chambers camp I'm sure.

I might be a cynical at this stage but I wouldn't be in any way surprised if there was involvement there. I can't help but be intrigued by <snip> timing sticking it up here tbh, it looks a little smoking gun. Means (a former ff cllr would have the email addresses etc of ff people), motive (obvious petty resentment of jack chambers), opportunity (no great amount of time or resources needed for this kind of attack).

I've no time for chambers myself, I mean a college dropout doesn't represent me, but then again the trombone teacher wouldn't exactly be in line with my interests either, and I have no affiliation with any other party or politician. However, I would rather the college dropout than the serial failure who is seeking an even handier life than that of a school teacher and cries the poor mouth when beaten.

And in fairness to chambers - although I think he's a bit thick, out of touch with the young people he supposedly represents and is obviously a puppet for ff seniors, he ain't a shinner or a scumbag like lowry so I don't get the hate. Don't like him, don't vote for him, no harm done, as opposed to the damage the others do.

genericguy, you've already been infracted for a personal attack in relation to this and now you're persisting with attempting to out the real identity of another poster in breach of the site rules. Take a few days off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

#jackchambers on twitter is absolutely hilarious. Extremely childish but very amusing.

Advertisement