Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Canadel wrote: »
    , but I respect the accomplishment and the career he has created for himself.

But the very point is that he has NOT created a career for himself, his FF cronies led & bankrolled by his Father did it for him.

Leo, Joan or Ruth (yes even Ruth) created their careers and would eat him without salt in a fact based debate.

He wasn't even an effective councilor and I can't wait to see who is rewarded within the local FF branch with his vacant seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tasden wrote: »
    #jackchambers on twitter is absolutely hilarious. Extremely childish but very amusing.

Oh I dunno, Jack and The Chamber of secrets was very maturely satirical!

I wonder does he realise he's playing senior hurling yet? Many young people early on displayed the skills and conviction to be excellent Dáil performers, people like Maire Geoghegan-Quinn, Mary Harney, Leo V, John Deasy etc, but i just dont see in Jack Chambers that sort of potential, he's a deer caught in the headlamps of his Father's vicarious living project. I expect him to remain on the backbenches for however long he lasts,and thats a pity for our area. I truly believe D15 made a mistake on Friday.

I mentioned the parallel with the Marty Huggins character before, you should look him up and see have you seen the Movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

athtrasna wrote:
    From what I've heard of the letter it's far from a poison pen letter, more an exposé of what's been going on to get jack where he is now. Maybe I'm belong naiive but I genuinely don't believe the McGuinness camp is behind it. He's not the only one to be upset by the Chambers camp I'm sure.

Time will (hopefully) tell.. It would be a huge pity of this is forgotten about without finding the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Tasden wrote: »
    #jackchambers on twitter is absolutely hilarious. Extremely childish but very amusing.

It keeps giving.

Lot of dismay really about him getting in along with his attitudes. Some other FF'ers jumping to his defence claiming bullying and it's then pointed out how that fits with his attitude to a womans choice.

What's interesting is that the slagging is coming from across the political spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

Grudaire wrote: »
    Donnolly has given us an idiot proof guide to filling out the ballot as well :)

Having worked several times as a Poll clerk the most amazing thing is the amount of well educated middle class people in their late 20's and 30's who do not know how to vote. The do not know how the STV works, they mark an X or very often they think you have to stop after number 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

A strange day on Saturday.

We really thought Joan Burton would bomb, but of course it did not happen and a few here predicted she might be fine after that letter.

Sinn Fein faltered against all expectations. What the AAA did in the final five days was impressive on the doors.

We hoped to get near 10%, and until Joan surged. I think we could have but that's the way it goes.

We go knocking on doors from Monday until we get to every door. It's the only way to win more support.

genericguy wrote: »
    I might be a cynical at this stage but I wouldn't be in any way surprised if there was involvement there. I can't help but be intrigued by <snip> timing sticking it up here tbh, it looks a little smoking gun. Means (a former ff cllr would have the email addresses etc of ff people), motive (obvious petty resentment of jack chambers), opportunity (no great amount of time or resources needed for this kind of attack).

I've no time for chambers myself, I mean a college dropout doesn't represent me, but then again the trombone teacher wouldn't exactly be in line with my interests either, and I have no affiliation with any other party or politician. However, I would rather the college dropout than the serial failure who is seeking an even handier life than that of a school teacher and cries the poor mouth when beaten.

And in fairness to chambers - although I think he's a bit thick, out of touch with the young people he supposedly represents and is obviously a puppet for ff seniors, he ain't a shinner or a scumbag like lowry so I don't get the hate. Don't like him, don't vote for him, no harm done, as opposed to the damage the others do.

With all due respect, there was more than one candidate that resigned from the FF party locally, particularly after the local elections. Be clever when you try and assume you know what you're talking about.

I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

We go knocking on doors from Monday until we get to every door. It's the only way to win more support.

I presume you think it won't be long till another election?

:D

There was a significant number marked with x's for candidates they didn't want to support. Technically not valid, but clear preference demonstrated IMO.

Guessing they're arguing them

It's not just about marking a clear preference, It's also about keeping the ballot secret. If you write something on the paper or put some X's in certain boxes along side your numbers then you could report that to a 3rd party and your vote could be checked at the count to ensure you voted the way you were told to.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't think Burton would lose her seat.

I called it 3 weeks ago, probably would have got good odds back then too. I was wrong with Chambers though, I didn't think he'd do as well we he did.

I suppose as a constituency we're pretty well represented across the political and socio-economic spectrum so I think the results were pretty fair.
    Joan at 67 received a sympathy vote and that's understandable. She has a limited time now to build up her daughter's potential career. Those votes are there to be won.

I think that's pretty harsh and cynical, I don't think her success was based on sympathy votes, nor is she there to build up her daughter.

I called it 3 weeks ago, probably would have got good odds back then too. I was wrong with Chambers though, I didn't think he'd do as well we he did.

I suppose as a constituency we're pretty well represented across the political and socio-economic spectrum so I think the results were pretty fair.

I think that's pretty harsh and cynical, I don't think her success was based on sympathy votes, nor is she there to build up her daughter.

I'm not trying to be harsh to the woman. It is well known locally that her daughter as political aspirations. Her final term in office will be interesting with that in mind. Joan received a big, big vote no doubt. She pleaded with people in the letter that it was her or SF and AAA and nothing scares the conservatives of Blanch village and Clonsilla road for example than SF and AAA. Labour voters rarely go FF or FG.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

There might be some truth to that. My mam pretty much always gives her first pref to FG afaik but she voted for Joan this time as she was worried she'd lose her seat.

Wasn't anything to do with her age though, she just likes Joan. Personally, so do I and I have a lot of sympathy for Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

For the first time ever I have just used the ignore function on Boards.ie and now I don't have to read anymore gossip or snide remarks from a certain individual. :)

You want to be selective on what opinions you hear. Totally understandable.

She pleaded with people in the letter that it was her or SF and AAA and nothing scares the conservatives of Blanch village and Clonsilla road for example than SF and AAA. Labour voters rarely go FF or FG.

All votes are a choice between what is on the card. I can't stand people who don't vote and then complain so I think all Joan did was point out to people the consequences of not voting for her. It is sad that people don't realise it for themselves but perhaps more candidates should do it. A vote is a powerful thing so it is good that Joans team made people focus on their choices.

I said earlier that I didn't want to be represented by someone who saw Gerry Adams as a good leader after what he let happen to his niece and I am glad my vote helped keep SF out.

AlanG wrote: »
    All votes are a choice between what is on the card. I can't stand people who don't vote and then complain so I think all Joan did was point out to people the consequences of not voting for her. It is sad that people don't realise it for themselves but perhaps more candidates should do it. A vote is a powerful thing so it is good that Joans team made people focus on their choices.

I said earlier that I didn't want to be represented by someone who saw Gerry Adams as a good leader after what he let happen to his niece and I am glad my vote helped keep SF out.

I agree with you on that. That's politics and she had a team who could get that letter out.

Where do you think this election result leaves Paul Donnelly as a candidate? Will SF parachute someone else in and build them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

So David will keep plugging away as an independent?

It's a very tough constituency, and it will take some seismic shift for him to get in. Would he consider joining one of the alternative parties?

So David will keep plugging away as an independent?

It's a very tough constituency, and it will take some seismic shift for him to get in. Would he consider joining one of the alternative parties?

He's three years left on the council so will weight things up

I agree with you on that. That's politics and she had a team who could get that letter out.

Where do you think this election result leaves Paul Donnelly as a candidate? Will SF parachute someone else in and build them up?

Personally I think that is SF got rid of Adams then they would return a TD for the area at the expense of Coppinger who will have less help from Higgins next time up. Not sure SF will give Donnelly another shot in the area.

I also think that if McGuinness joined the Social Democrats he would have a great chance. Their performance in Dublin Central was amazing considering the make up of the area and the low profile of the candidate.

A lot of people seemed disappointed that they didn't have a SD candidate to go for in Dublin West. Not sure they would have him but I think when Joan goes an SD candidate could fill that gap.

• Advertisement

AlanG wrote: »
    Personally I think that is SF got rid of Adams then they would return a TD for the area at the expense of Coppinger who will have less help from Higgins next time up. Not sure SF will give Donnelly another shot in the area.

I also think that if McGuinness joined the Social Democrats he would have a great chance. Their performance in Dublin Central was amazing considering the make up of the area and the low profile of the candidate.

A lot of people seemed disappointed that they didn't have a SD candidate to go for in Dublin West. Not sure they would have him but I think when Joan goes an SD candidate could fill that gap.

An interesting analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

If we are looking at another election this year, I say Donnelly will still be the candidate. However long term SF should be looking at bringing through a candidate who can appeal to those in Castleknock, Clonsilla and the Navan Road. I don't think parachuting in a candidate will necessarily work but they should be looking for someone in their 30s who they can build around in the area.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    If we are looking at another election this year, I say Donnelly will still be the candidate. However long term SF should be looking at bringing through a candidate who can appeal to those in Castleknock, Clonsilla and the Navan Road. I don't think parachuting in a candidate will necessarily work but they should be looking for someone in their 30s who they can build around in the area.

Edward McManus joined them from FF a few years ago and he is a Castleknock based person. He was Brian Lenihan's director of elections. He may be that person although the age profile is similar to PD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Rosser wrote: »
    But the very point is that he has NOT created a career for himself, his FF cronies led & bankrolled by his Father did it for him.

Leo, Joan or Ruth (yes even Ruth) created their careers and would eat him without salt in a fact based debate.

He wasn't even an effective councilor and I can't wait to see who is rewarded within the local FF branch with his vacant seat.
    That's neither fair to him, nor the point. You will do well to find many people in successful careers who got there without huge support from their parents, both financially and creatively. Jack Chambers just chose a different career than the norm. He's a clever guy, and he has clever people advising him. He's not a robot contrary to popular belief. He played a major part in creating his career, and now he has a seat at the table.

You will do well to find many people in successful careers who got there without huge support from their parents, both financially and creatively.

That's simply not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

That's simply not true.

Of course it's true, even students with part time jobs would struggle without financial support of parents. And any parent in a position to assist will, do you think they would rather a son/daughter take out loans to get through if they don't have to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Edward McManus joined them from FF a few years ago and he is a Castleknock based person. He was Brian Lenihan's director of elections. He may be that person although the age profile is similar to PD.

Didn't he run for FF before? Was it local elections 09? I definitely remember seeing a leaflet with his name on it a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

That's simply not true.
    It's absolutely true. Take a sample size of the most successful people and top earners in their profession anywhere in the world and you fill find the vast majority will have been financially and academically supported by their parents. It just so happens Jack Chambers' parents supported him in achieving a career in politics. And they've done it pretty expertly in terms of what success obviously means to them.

AGC wrote: »
    Of course it's true, even students with part time jobs would struggle without financial support of parents. And any parent in a position to assist will, do you think they would rather a son/daughter take out loans to get through if they don't have to?
    It's absolutely true. Take a sample size of the most successful people and top earners in their profession anywhere in the world and you fill find the vast majority will have been financially and academically supported by their parents. It just so happens Jack Chambers' parents supported him in achieving a career in politics. And they've done it pretty expertly in terms of what success obviously means to them.

I don't agree. Many people who are successful in their careers, I'm not necessarily talking about CEOs of Fortune 500 countries, haven't all had financial or creative support from their parents.

Sure, you'll find many that have, but it's not a prerequisite in any way, an advantage at most.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I don't agree. Many people who are successful in their careers, I'm not necessarily talking about CEOs of Fortune 500 countries, haven't all had financial or creative support from their parents.

I'm sure there is. It was never indicated it covered everyone.

Advertisement