Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

He stopped his medical studies to serve the people of West Dublin and Ireland. He obviously did it out of duty to the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

eviltwin wrote: »
    So he is a liar, great start to his career as a TD

Sure we knew that. Pity people didnt vote accordingly, the Deerpark sheep were out in force...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Well a few of Chamber's defenders on Twitter are claiming he is a qualified solicitor and doctor. Dublin West's own Doogie Howser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Well a few of Chamber's defenders on Twitter are claiming he is a qualified solicitor and doctor. Dublin West's own Doogie Howser.

And boy do they troll! Got into an argument with two of them at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

athtrasna wrote: »
    And boy do they troll! Got into an argument with two of them at the weekend.

I parked in the Royal College of Surgeons car park when taking my kids to the panto does that qualify me too?

Oh and law degree does not a solicitor make, he needs to be called to the bar and it seems the closest he got was calling for a white wine spritzer in Myos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

The guy who runs WWN lives in Dublin West, his twitter feed is priceless right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Kiwi_knock wrote: »

That's an insult to those who work their arses off for seven years.

That's an insult to those who work their arses off for seven years.
    It's really not. They are rewarded for their work with jobs and monetary payment.

He completed a law degree and then either deferred or dropped out of his medical degree to dedicate all of his time and efforts to his political career. There's no conspiracy here or even any controversy. People need to get back to focusing on the important issues like his hair and his family.

Canadel wrote: »
    It's really not. They are rewarded for their work with jobs and monetary payment.

He completed a law degree and then either deferred or dropped out of his medical degree to dedicate all of his time and efforts to his political career. There's no conspiracy here or even any controversy. People need to get back to focusing on the important issues like his hair and his family.

His LinkedIn page deliberately misleads on the medicine thing though, false representation of his qualifications is a very pertinent issue imo. I'm not happy that a TD representing my constituency can't be straight about his background. Doesn't instill confidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I disagree. There is no shame in not completing his medicine training. Why not just be honest. If he is prepared to lie about something so basic it makes it difficult to trust him.

I'm not happy that a TD representing my constituency can't be straight about his background. Doesn't instill confidence
    I don't believe you.
    I disagree. There is no shame in not completing his medicine training. Why not just be honest. If he is prepared to lie about something so basic it makes it difficult to trust him.
    He's not lying about anything, nor is he lying to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

?? Explain please.
    By stating on LinkedIn that he has a bachelor's degree in Medicine from RCS he is fact lying. Unless you complete the course and pass all required exams you can't make that claim.

ongarite wrote: »
    ?? Explain please.
    By stating on LinkedIn that he has a bachelor's degree in Medicine from RSC he is fact lying. Unless you complete the course and pass all required exams you can't make claim.
    Well, you can make that claim actually.

But more importantly, he doesn't state that he has a medical degree on his linkedin.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,299 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I don't believe you.

What's not to believe? It's completely plausible that someone would be unhappy and not have much confidence in one of their public representatives if that representative was being deliberately evasive about their background.

He may not be directly lying, but he's certainly not in any hurry to clarify things or correct any misconceptions that people may have about his education.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I'm insulted by it. He clearly attempted to convey that he was a doctor when he isn't. I worked hard for years to become a doctor, and have worked hard since to provide care to people all over Ireland. I'm not sure if doctors as a group are particularly respected or admired by Irish people, but they are trusted. And Jack Chambers, IMO, attempted to piggy back on the goodwill people like myself have earned. That's insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

He's now embroiled in a Twitter spat via @FiannaFail with Noel Rock and predictably enough he's getting his ar*e handed to him.

He really is a beaut.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The guy who runs WWN lives in Dublin West, his twitter feed is priceless right now.

Whats his handle?

I'm insulted by it. He clearly attempted to convey that he was a doctor when he isn't. I worked hard for years to become a doctor, and have worked hard since to provide care to people all over Ireland. I'm not sure if doctors as a group are particularly respected or admired by Irish people, but they are trusted. And Jack Chambers, IMO, attempted to piggy back on the goodwill people like myself have earned. That's insulting.
    That's not clear at all, and I don't think he did attempt to convey that. I trust doctors to do the job they were trained to do; I don't trust them on a personal level any more than I trust someone cleaning the streets tbh. So I don't buy that assertion at all that he attempted to piggy back on any goodwill doctors have earned, mainly because he never stated he was a doctor but rather that he had studied medicine.
    Zaph wrote: »
    What's not to believe? It's completely plausible that someone would be unhappy and not have much confidence in one of their public representatives if that representative was being deliberately evasive about their background.
    He's not being deliberately evasive. I've never heard seen or heard him refer to himself as a doctor or the holder of a medical degree. People are creating their own narrative here.
    He may not be directly lying, but he's certainly not in any hurry to clarify things or correct any misconceptions that people may have about his education.
    Nor should he be in a hurry to. His education is his own business, and the only misconception is by people saying he claims to hold a medical degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RoiSoleil

But more importantly, he doesn't state that he has a medical degree on his linkedin.

tQQhTkR.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

RoiSoleil wrote: »
    tQQhTkR.jpg

I think the penny has dropped with an awful lot of people and some of the questions on that letter are now very relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 BanterZone

Chamber's LinkedIn profile

To be fair to Chambers you are supposed to put all educational institutions you have attended on your profile whether completed or not yet. All that means is that he has attended the Royal College of Surgeons, not that he's necessarily finished the degree, which would be why the law degree has a result beside and the medicine one doesn't.

I haven't been too impressed with Chambers yet but now that he's been elected I may as well give him some time to prove himself before judging him too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I think the penny has dropped with an awful lot of people and some of the questions on that letter are now very relevant.

It's the same people that were commenting on him before the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RoiSoleil

If indeed there is any truth in this letter, of course it should be investigated. I only disagree with the manner in which you brought up the issue the night before the election. It was the "I know a secret but I'm not telling" approach that was off putting to me. That such carry on might be going on in FF is/was of no surprise to me whatsoever. This is FF we're talking about after all. What's done is done though now and the election is over. If this gains traction and the contents of the letter turn out to be even partly true, David could be very well placed to mount a serious challenge at the next (possibly very soon) election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

If indeed there is any truth in this letter, of course it should be investigated. I only disagree with the manner in which you brought up the issue the night before the election. It was the "I know a secret but I'm not telling" approach that was off putting to me. That such carry on might be going on in FF is/was of no surprise to me whatsoever. This is FF we're talking about after all. What's done is done though now and the election is over. If this gains traction and the contents of the letter turn out to be even partly true, David could be very well placed to mount a serious challenge at the next (possibly very soon) election.

Firstly, I had to be careful about what I said on the day before the election. I wasn't aware as to how far it had spread or to how much detail I could reveal.

As it happened, it was referenced in the media on the day of the election.

It was doing the rounds for at least 5 days before the election so I'm genuinely surprised no one here was aware of it.

I'm not convinced it will have any effect unless the person who put it together is prepared to back it up but more information, or someone goes to check out some of the allegations.

As I said here yesterday, it only takes one of those points to be true in order for them all to be scrutinised. FF have rubbished the letter already of course but they haven't indicated if everything on the letter is completely untrue.

AGC wrote: »
    It's the same people that were commenting on him before the election.

And the same people defending him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Whats his handle?

You'll see it here https://twitter.com/NoelRock
    BanterZone wrote: »
    To be fair to Chambers you are supposed to put all educational institutions you have attended on your profile whether completed or not yet. All that means is that he has attended the Royal College of Surgeons, not that he's necessarily finished the degree, which would be why the law degree has a result beside and the medicine one doesn't.

I would imagine you put down all education institutions you attended, and actually completed a course in. Otherwise you're only misleading potential employers and others. If you were to put in every institute you ever attended regardless if you attended to completion, then I'm seriously selling myself short.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

On the LinkedIn issue, I would say that the way he has presented his medical degree is potentially misleading. I mean, he doesn't list a result for it in the way that he does for the Law one, but equally no where does it say that it's suspended, etc. I've always been told to be careful when listing degrees, and to be upfront about ones that are not yet complete - saying something like 'in progress', or 'deferred until 2017', or whatever, as many people do just list every institution they've attended, without giving any real information or context - many of my postgraduate friends have somehow miraculously studied at Oxford/Cambridge/Harvard/Yale, when all they really did was attend a week-long postgrad training session or similar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

From the screen shot, any reasonable person would read that as him implying he received a Bachelors Degree in Medicine.

• Advertisement

Advertisement