Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

And to go with Spittles story there's 1 comment, blaming the slagging all on the left. These people are deluded if they think it's solely people on the left that think he's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RoiSoleil

I'm also fascinated by Jack's inclusion of "crime prevention" on his list of skills. Does he have a secret identity? Maybe he is the hero Dublin 15 deserves after all.

Fk0N9vt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

athtrasna wrote: »
    And the same people defending him...
    Not true. I've been a constant critic of Chambers on this thread both before and after the election. I'm also willing to defend someone when I see them being unfairly treated though.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    From the screen shot, any reasonable person would read that as him implying he received a Bachelors Degree in Medicine.
    200_s.gif

Nah, they really wouldn't, but nice try. Firstly, anyone who takes a person's linkedin profile as absolute gospel and truth is a fool. And secondly, he lists it under education because he gained admission and attended the college for a year or two (he doesn't provide a result like he does for his law degree). I'm sure if he is questioned on this grave matter by yourself or other posters here in person, or in the Dail, he will have an answer for you guys.

You seem to be taking this defence of poor Chambers very seriously, a bit smarmingly even.

Fact is, and I've been on both ends of the stick here, that employers and potential colleagues do take notice of what you see as a minor omission on his profile. Of course you don't get hired on the basis of your Lined In profile, but it opens a door into the interview room. When you walk in the door for an interview, they sit you down and say, now tell me, how useful did you find your degree in X in your previous roles in the industry? Er, I don't actually have any sort of qualification in that area at all.

Nobody will be impressed with you wasting their time, and will be wondering what else you've been creative about. The undeniable fact is that he lists a Bachelors Degree under his education.

Canadel wrote: »
    But more importantly, he doesn't state that he has a medical degree on his linkedin.

Firstly, anyone who takes a person's linkedin profile as absolute gospel and truth is a fool.

You seem to be changing your tune here.

In one post you deny that he states he has a medical degree on his Linkedin profile. When you were shown to be wrong on this point, you then claim that a Linkedin profile should not be taken as 'gospel and truth'.

I can understand people embellishing their cvs a little but claiming you have a medical degree when you don't is in a whole different league of dishonesty.

Is it not reasonable to expect our elected representatives to not lie about their educational qualifications?

Finally in relation to people reading his profile would assume that Jack is implying he has Bachelors Degree in Medicine:
    Nah, they really wouldn't, but nice try.

Yes they would. His profile simply states:

"Bachelor's Degree, Medicine"

If I did not know who this person was, I would assume that he had a Bachelor's Degree in medicine. I think anybody would.

• Advertisement

You seem to be taking this defence of poor Chambers very seriously, a bit smarmingly even.

Fact is, and I've been on both ends of the stick here, that employers and potential colleagues do take notice of what you see as a minor omission on his profile. Of course you don't get hired on the basis of your Lined In profile, but it opens a door into the interview room. When you walk in the door for an interview, they sit you down and say, now tell me, how useful did you find your degree in X in your previous roles in the industry? Er, I don't actually have any sort of qualification in that area at all.

Nobody will be impressed with you wasting their time, and will be wondering what else you've been creative about. The undeniable fact is that he lists a Bachelors Degree under his education.
    If it seems that way, then maybe it's because you're taking your criticism of something entirely trivial and blatantly untrue very seriously in an obvious effort to undermine someone. He lists the degree under his education because it is part of his education. He doesn't claim to have completed the degree. Keep grasping though, it's fascinating to watch.

Oh, and I think you'll find he has had his interview. And he got the job.

RoiSoleil wrote: »
    You seem to be changing your tune here.

In one post you deny that he states he has a medical degree on his Linkedin profile. When you were shown to be wrong on this point, you then claim that a Linkedin profile should not be taken as 'gospel and truth'.

I can understand people embellishing their cvs a little but claiming you have a medical degree when you don't is in a whole different league of dishonesty.

Is it not reasonable to expect our elected representatives to not lie about their educational qualifications?
    No. I denied that he states to have a medical degree on his linkedin because he doesn't provide a result. At most you could argue it is ambiguous. But the only reason someone would argue it is if they had some kind of agenda, which the posters here obviously do. He is perfectly entitled to list his studies at the medical college under his education.

It's absolutely reasonable. Which is why I'm glad that posters here have been proved wrong about this, and Jack Chambers has been proved correct. By me. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

If it seems that way, then maybe it's because you're taking your criticism of something entirely trivial and blatantly untrue very seriously in an obvious effort to undermine someone. He lists the degree under his education because it is part of his education. He doesn't claim to have completed the degree. Keep grasping though, it's fascinating to watch.

This is nonsense. The guy is listing a degree in medicine on his LinkedIn profile. He doesn't have a degree in medicine. I don't care whether you support FF, FG or the monster raving looney party, you cannot condone these mistruths. Would someone please tell him to remove the reference to RCS on LinkedIn. Describing the highlighting of these mistruths as grasping is also nonsense.

This does not make him immune from scrutiny and criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I am not on Linkedin, can you say 'currently studying for etc...'? or would it just come up as it does on his page?

I do find it funny that it is page after page about Chambers on here and people gobsmacked he has been elected because of his age, his parents, his social media, that he lives at home etc... when we have re-elected 3 sitting TD's, 2 of which in very powerful decisions and Ruth Coppinger who have spouted lie after lie and there has been very little discussion about them - but people are up in arms because Chambers has that he is studying medicine on a social media account.

As Chuck said the other day getting David McGuinness out knocking on as many doors as possible is one of the main keys to being elected, that is what Chambers seems to have done over the last couple of years and the response has obviously been positive seeing as he was elected - Burton seem to really make the same push (backed up by letters) over the last few days and it worked for her. Donnelly, who looked a cert I have never seen him around or any of his team and it is something that could have affected him.

• Advertisement

This does not make him immune from scrutiny and criticism.
    Obviously not. But it does answer that poster's advice on linkedin profiles.
    Past30Now wrote: »
    This is nonsense. The guy is listing a degree in medicine on his LinkedIn profile. He doesn't have a degree in medicine. I don't care whether you support FF, FG or the monster raving looney party, you cannot condone these mistruths. Would someone please tell him to remove the reference to RCS on LinkedIn. Describing the highlighting of these mistruths as grasping is also nonsense.
    He attended the college for one, maybe two years. Of course he's entitled to list it under his education on his profile. He doesn't claim to have graduated with a medical degree, that is being incorrectly and deliberately inferred by people here to score some pot shots against an unpopular newly elected politician. Which is fine. But let's call a spade a spade too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Canadel wrote:
    It's absolutely reasonable. Which is why I'm glad that posters here have been proved wrong about this, and Jack Chambers has been proved correct. By me. Job done.

:D

Ah shtop, you're convincing no one!

On a more important note I was out collecting posters and it is outrageous how many cable ties I had the honour of collecting..

Very disappointed seeing our elected representatives and their supporters distain for the area.

That's quite a feat of mental gymnastics there. You have proved nothing. Jack Chambers clearly implies he has a degree in medicine on his Linkedin profile.

Simply saying you have proved this wrong doesn't make it so. The evidence is there in black and white.

4WDE9mS.jpg

Your argument is the equivalent of pointing at a dog and insisting it's a cat despite the obvious and overwhelming evidence. It fools no-one.

You may indeed ask why would people find a seemingly minor lie to be such an issue? Well, maybe it makes people wonder about what else he is being less than honest about.

He doesn't claim to have completed the degree. Keep grasping though, it's fascinating to watch.

So why does he list one? Your defence of someone you claim you have no grá for is admirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

@Canadel would I be allowed ask you a hypothetical question?

That's quite a feat of mental gymnastics there. You have proved nothing. Jack Chambers clearly implies he has a degree in medicine on his Linkedin profile.

Simply saying you have proved this wrong doesn't make it so. The evidence is there in black and white.

4WDE9mS.jpg

Your argument is the equivalent of pointing at a dog and insisting it's a cat despite the obvious and overwhelming evidence. It fools no-one.

You may indeed ask why would people find a seemingly minor lie to be such an issue? Well, maybe it makes people wonder about what else he is being less than honest about.
    I hate to break it to all of you, but someone needs to, because a linkedin profile is basically the same as a person's facebook page in the grand scheme of things. The idea that Chambers' level of honesty as a person and a politician be judged on a slightly ambiguous part of his linkedin profile is absolute lunacy, and the definition of clutching at straws. I'd put it right up there with the twitter comments about his hair, but honestly they have more credibility considering they are made in jest more than some crazy attempt to discredit the guy as a fraud and a liar.

As for me being a supporter of Chambers, his policies, or his party. Well, that's simply not true either. My posts support my position on a subject.

Before election:
    Didn't see it but apparently Chambers just announced he is pro life and does not favour a referendum on the 8th. Very disappointing, especially in someone so young. Very close minded, and worrying that he doesn't even support the people having a say.

After election:
    I can't believe that Chambers is going to be elected to the Dail. It's a most strange country we live in. He's young, but just as cynical, conservative and conforming as the average politician in this country. Best of luck to him if he gets the seat and I hope he proves me wrong.

@Canadel would I be allowed ask you a hypothetical question?
    You don't have to ask my permission. But the answer is yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

From the screen shot, any reasonable person would read that as him implying he received a Bachelors Degree in Medicine.

On his LinkedIn, just had a look and if you click on his name it is quite clear he is not making out that he has completed his studies, it says 'Student at' which makes it quite clear it is not completed and he could well have deferred. It certainly does not imply he has completed medicine. The screen shot is quite misleading.

He also lists 'successfully studied' in relation to his law degree and lists of modules etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

With regards to the "poison pen" letter (which I saved quickly off Twitter before it got taken down) I was discussing this with some programming friends and they told me that there is a free software tool called JStylo which could be interesting to look at.

It's seeks to identify random internet postings based on comparing an author's style of writing to other samples using a technique called "stylometry". So what we did is OCR scan the images of the "poison pen" letter and extracted the text. We then fed in some samples of postings from social media such as boards, facebook, twitter etc. to see if some more than others of these samples was a close "stylistic" match to the letter which was sent. Don't know if the gardai are using such techniques...

Don't leave us hanging, not asking you to name anyone but any suspects returned?

• Advertisement

Arciphel wrote: »
    With regards to the "poison pen" letter (which I saved quickly off Twitter before it got taken down) I was discussing this with some programming friends and they told me that there is a free software tool called JStylo which could be interesting to look at.

It's seeks to identify random internet postings based on comparing an author's style of writing to other samples using a technique called "stylometry". So what we did is OCR scan the images of the "poison pen" letter and extracted the text. We then fed in some samples of postings from social media such as boards, facebook, twitter etc. to see if some more than others of these samples was a close "stylistic" match to the letter which was sent. Don't know if the gardai are using such techniques...
    Screen-Shot-2013-03-19-at-20.49.45.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Arciphel wrote: »

Happy days - should be interesting because to tell you the truth, it's a mystery to a lot of us as to who is behind it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,299 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've removed all the posts referring to the "hypothetical" situation. Dav made the following very clear in the admin forum last week when referring to something completely unrelated:
    You don't need to name someone to be dragged into a defamation case, making a description and leaving no doubt who's being referred to within the context of a discussion is as potentially incriminating as naming a name.

Zaph wrote: »
    I've removed all the posts referring to the "hypothetical" situation. Dav made the following very clear in the admin forum last week when referring to something completely unrelated:
    That's draconian. And I can't believe it's the case. Boards tends to go a bit overboard concerning this type of stuff. Not disagreeing with a mod here, simply commenting on the law as opposed to boards' stance.

Edit: Also, as an aside, I have absolutely no idea who ChuckNorris was referring to in his hypothetical post.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,299 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That's draconian. And I can't believe it's the case. Boards tends to go a bit overboard concerning this type of stuff. Not disagreeing with a mod here, simply commenting on the law as opposed to boards' stance.

Edit: Also, as an aside, I have absolutely no idea who ChuckNorris was referring to in his hypothetical post.

Unfortunately due to Ireland's archaic libel laws Boards, as publisher, would be liable for any defamation cases that arise from a post on the site, not the person who posted it. As an admin I have a duty to ensure that the site is properly protected. It's a bit crap I know, but until the law is changed we don't have any other choice.

Zaph wrote: »
    Unfortunately due to Ireland's archaic libel laws Boards, as publisher, would be liable for any defamation cases that arise from a post on the site, not the person who posted it. As an admin I have a duty to ensure that the site is properly protected. It's a bit crap I know, but until the law is changed we don't have any other choice.
    Yeah, I get that boards is liable, but I don't get that anything that could be deemed in anyway in breach of libel law has been posted by anyone. Which goes back to my point that boards goes a bit overboard concerning this stuff. But it's your business, and you've probably got good reason for behaving that way..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

Hilarious watching all the ultra feminist lunatics and pro abortion crowd losing their **** over Jack Chambers. Guys only been elected a few days and not done anything except have pro Life views like the majority of the country. But he doesn't agree with their Liberal views so they just attack his appearance and family. The Left wing really are pathetic in this country.

I dont know who this Alison Spittle is, but what a suprise she is a fat female "comedian" ultra feminist blogger, who spends her days on twitter and tumblr. No doubt it would be "misogny" to point this out. But young Jack is fair game for all sorts of insults, and total idiots like Coppinger get a free ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Hilarious watching all the ultra feminist lunatics and pro abortion crowd losing their **** over Jack Chambers. Guys only been elected a few days and not done anything except have pro Life views like the majority of the country. But he doesn't agree with their Liberal views so they just attack his appearance and family. The Left wing really are pathetic in this country.

I dont know who this Alison Spittle is, but what a suprise she is a fat female "comedian" ultra feminist blogger, who spends her days on twitter and tumblr. No doubt it would be "misogny" to point this out. But young Jack is fair game for all sorts of insults, and total idiots like Coppinger get a free ride.

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't agree with anyone commenting on his physical appearance which has nothing to do with anything but he's fair game for everything else. Btw it's not just 'feminist lunatics' who want access to abortion for Irish women but I suspect you know that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

January wrote: »
    Wow.
    Considering you vote for Ruth "Nationalise Dell" Coppinger, I wouldn't start wowing. A total moron, as are her mob who spend their time attacking Gardai shouting peaceful protest.

Advertisement