Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

:D Joan Burton's posters are everywhere but I doubt she'll be getting any fines. It's just the way Ireland works.
    Not a single poster left in my area. Your mate's were the last to come down, late Sunday afternoon. 2 days after the time limit setout in the council guidelines.

My compliments to every canidate who removed their posters and left no cable ties. The area looks so much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I don't know which is worse. Cables ties left sticking out around the poles or them just being left cut on the ground. Around Mulhuddart both are in play.

It can't be that difficult to cut off a tie and then stick it in a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Not a single poster left in my area. Your mate's were the last to come down, late Sunday afternoon. 2 days after the time limit setout in the council guidelines.

My compliments to every canidate who removed their posters and left no cable ties. The area looks so much better.

Yea but the majority were taken down when it was safer to do so. You might remember the high winds late last week - it would be far worse for them to hit cars and people than wait another day or two.

Life goes on!

Yea but the majority were taken down when it was safer to do so. You might remember the high winds late last week - it would be far worse for them to hit cars and people than wait another day or two.

Life goes on!
    That's fair enough, at least you're admitting to been 2 days over the time limit set out by the council. But so much for your "more equal than others" statement earlier. ;)

Great that the posters are all down now.

Life goes on!

It does beg the question why did they leave it till day 6 or 7 though. There were plenty of calm days earlier in the week.

I'm not picking on your lad specifically as I'd imagine as an independent he wouldn't have the same resources or bodies as the big parties but they can't use high winds as a valid excuse.

• Advertisement

It does beg the question why did they leave it till day 6 or 7 though. There were plenty of calm days earlier in the week.

I'm not picking on your lad specifically as I'd imagine as an independent he wouldn't have the same resources or bodies as the big parties but they can't use high winds as a valid excuse.

If you go by the council's deadline of 7 days from the day of the election, it was more like day 9, when they were removed from my area.
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/environment/guidelines_on_general_election_posters/
    Under Section 19(7) it is an offence to exhibit an advertisement relating to the General Election in a public place or in view of a public place before 3rd February 2016 or after 4th March 2016.

That's fair enough, at least you're admitting to been 2 days over the time limit set out by the council. But so much for your "more equal than others" statement earlier. ;)

Great that the posters are all down now.

Pat, you'll always find an angle. ;)

There is only one litter warden in Fingal at any one time. They don't work weekends so taking them down in safer conditions is sensible and correct.

You've answered the question correctly Jack. There is no paid people to put them up or take them down and whether people want to believe it or not, a general election leaves people exhausted. A well earned few days was needed and let's be fair, did the world end when the Shinners put their posters up a day early. No one remembered and largely no one cares (regarding the Shinners).

No one remember and largely no one cares.
    So there you have it folks. I feel this statement from chucknorris the annomyous Dublin 15 Boards.ie spokesperson for Cllr David Mc Guinness should close this topic.

So there you have folks, I feel this statement from chucknorris the annomyous Dublin 15 Boards.ie spokesperson for Cllr David Mc Guinness should close this topic.

Pat, again, you'll always find an angle. ;)

Have you got it that bad?

@PatDunne will you please ask Joan Burton to remove her posters in Corduff, Mulhuddart and on the Hartstown road please. Appreciated.

They are now 4 days over the limit allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I'm frowning at you both now. Don't make me take out my stern voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I don't know which is worse. Cables ties left sticking out around the poles or them just being left cut on the ground. Around Mulhuddart both are in play.

It can't be that difficult to cut off a tie and then stick it in a bag.
    When I picked up a bunch of them on Saturday and then again on Sunday I found that they are a pain to put in a bin (and presumably a bag). As they are cut they end up in a Y shape. Eventually I pulled the tie apart to each be in 2 strips but putting them into the FCC bin was like threading a needle.

Having said that, it is quite disrespectful not to pick them up. If (most) people can manage to pick up dog poop, then the poster removers can manage to collect something considerably less yeuch.

Gaspode wrote: »
    I'm frowning at you both now. Don't make me take out my stern voice.

In fairness, Pat is a member of the Labour party and its rich to be giving it to others regarding posters when Labour is the single biggest offender with posters and they are still up as of this morning.

Not to mention taking my point regarding the Shinners out of context and reversing it.

The Labour party - offended by everything and ashamed of nothing. :eek:

In fairness, Pat is a member of the Labour party and its rich to be giving it to others regarding posters when Labour is the single biggest offender with posters and they are still up as of this morning.

Not to mention taking my point regarding the Shinners out of context and reversing it.

The Labour party - offended by everything and ashamed of nothing. :eek:

I'm not a Labour Party supporter but I must have asked Joan Burton a question via email at some stage as I'm on her mailing list (same with Varadkar) and to be fair to Labour, an email was sent out from her account late last week asking for people to let them know of any of their posters that they missed and were left up. I don't know how quick they were in responding to replies though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Look, in all fairness as you say, every candidate will miss a poster here & there. Let's stop trying to score political points from one another in such a childish fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

daymobrew wrote: »
    When I picked up a bunch of them on Saturday and then again on Sunday I found that they are a pain to put in a bin (and presumably a bag). As they are cut they end up in a Y shape. Eventually I pulled the tie apart to each be in 2 strips but putting them into the FCC bin was like threading a needle.

Having said that, it is quite disrespectful not to pick them up. If (most) people can manage to pick up dog poop, then the poster removers can manage to collect something considerably less yeuch.

I ran around the N2-N3 link road at the back of the corporate parks the last few days. At the bottom of the lampposts along where they're building the new houses and the farmland, the filthy bastards just threw the cut cable ties into the green verge.

I'm not a Labour Party supporter but I must have asked Joan Burton a question via email at some stage as I'm on her mailing list (same with Varadkar) and to be fair to Labour, an email was sent out from her account late last week asking for people to let them know of any of their posters that they missed and were left up. I don't know how quick they were in responding to replies though.

I've no general issues with missed posters and said nothing of it until the other bloke started being smart about it. All is fair and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

ThisRegard wrote:
    I ran around the N2-N3 link road at the back of the corporate parks the last few days. At the bottom of the lampposts along where they're building the new houses and the farmland, the filthy bastards just threw the cut cable ties into the green verge.

It's a disgusting attitude from anyone who leaves them behind. I feel it shows for many politics is about power not the local community and area :(

Just so everyone here knows - cable ties are recyclable :)

Reminder of Post 19

As with the previous Election discussion threads, we would expect anyone with connections (including family/personal friend/canvasser) to any candidate to declare this in the interests of full disclosure. Should we discover that you have failed to do so you can expect a ban from this forum.
    Any personal attacks will not be tolerated.

This morning I saw a FF/Michael Martin poster on Diswellstown Road between Riverwood Heath and bus stop.

• Advertisement

Can we issue a prize to the one that's left up the longest?

There was a labour one from the local elections still up in Mulhuddart opposite Aldi until a couple of months ago when one of those heavy storms finally defeated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Is there any word on who will be taking Chamber's council seat?

Kiwi_knock wrote: »

One of his kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

give him a break. He hasnt even had a chance to get a hair cut:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/i-will-get-my-hair-cut-when-i-get-a-chance-fianna-fail-td-jack-chambers-on-social-media-abuse-34520131.html

i dont know what the most disappointing part of that article is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

One of his kids?

:pac::pac::pac:

Gaspode wrote: »
    Reminder of Post 19

As with the previous Election discussion threads, we would expect anyone with connections (including family/personal friend/canvasser) to any candidate to declare this in the interests of full disclosure. Should we discover that you have failed to do so you can expect a ban from this forum.
    Any personal attacks will not be tolerated.

I'll post proof if its required (Boards.ie proof), but more importantly, I wanted others to have some context when reading your mans posts, particularly when taking my posts out of context himself and trying to score points.

give him a break. He hasnt even had a chance to get a hair cut:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/i-will-get-my-hair-cut-when-i-get-a-chance-fianna-fail-td-jack-chambers-on-social-media-abuse-34520131.html

i dont know what the most disappointing part of that article is.

I reckon his P.R firm is doing a sterling job in getting traction on stories that have nothing to do with why he was on the receiving end (some not to be condoned) of the attention he received. It was his anti-democratic position that got up people backs.

Even Harry McGee got in on the act of spinning a non story. Not surprising, but it was also Harry McGee who declared Chambers as a medical graduate.

The P.R firm have journalists over a barrel it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Well if it's any lf the people named as his replacement on 'the letter' then I'll give that a lot more credibility!

Rosser wrote: »
    Well if it's any lf the people named as his replacement on 'the letter' then I'll give that a lot more credibility!

I'd expect it to be former councillor Howard Mahoney, but Anita Lenihan ran in the convention in 2014 and may have a keen eye on it.

• Advertisement

Another poster: There is a blue "Leo" diamond poster on the corner of Castleknock Rise and Castleknock Downs.

Advertisement