Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Ross said that? I wasn't aware and cannot find that anywhere.

FF and Healy Rae is a whole diffident ball game. There will be no deals and no promises and any government has to agree to the charter.

http://www.todayfm.com/Independent-Alliance-launches-10point-charter-for-government

Yes Ross said it. I watched it. It was in the Dail, may have been leaders questions or a banking debate, I can't remember which. Once he said that I lost all respect. If there's one thing I can't stand it's sensationalist tripe & personal attacks on civil servants just doing their job. To be fair though, Ross isn't the only alliance candidate I'd have a problem with. I just don't like the group as a whole. Also, publishing a manifesto makes them look like more than just an independent grouping, no? That sounds like the publication of party policy to me. I'll have to read the specifics you posted earlier before I make up my mind but tbh I don't see them getting into power or having a meaningful effect. That's nothing to do with David's chances locally, it's from a national perspective (which all general elections should be looked at imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Yes Ross said it. I watched it. It was in the Dail, may have been leaders questions or a banking debate, I can't remember which. Once he said that I lost all respect. If there's one thing I can't stand it's sensationalist tripe & personal attacks on civil servants just doing their job. To be fair though, Ross isn't the only alliance candidate I'd have a problem with. I just don't like the group as a whole. Also, publishing a manifesto makes them look like more than just an independent grouping, no? That sounds like the publication of party policy to me. I'll have to read the specifics you posted earlier before I make up my mind but tbh I don't see them getting into power or having a meaningful effect. That's nothing to do with David's chances locally, it's from a national perspective (which all general elections should be looked at imo)

That's all fair enough and everyone to their own.

Every candidate here in Dublin west will be campaigning on the basis that the majority of people have no time for them.

The sweet spot is to try and get a 2 in 10 support commitment. That equates to 20% of the electorate and every candidate know if they get 10% of the vote, 90% of the voters did not vote for them. The most popular appears to be Leo and if he gets 30% of the vote, 70% of the voters did not vote for him.

So on a canvass you'll get a lot more people who will not vote for you than will. It's a ruthless thing to be involved in.

That's all fair enough and everyone to their own.

Every candidate here in Dublin west will be campaigning on the basis that the majority of people have no time for them.

The sweet spot is to try and get a 2 in 10 support commitment. That equates to 20% of the electorate and every candidate know if they get 10% of the vote, 90% of the voters did not vote for them. The most popular appears to be Leo and if he gets 30% of the vote, 70% of the voters did not vote for him.

So on a canvass you'll get a lot more people who will not vote for you than will. It's a ruthless thing to be involved in.

Oh I totally agree & know it's a hard slog knocking on doors. I have far more respect for candidates who turn up & answer my (hard) questions than those who send Daddy instead (naming no names ;)). I will always give someone a fair chance & listen to what they have to say, even if I don't agree with it. If we all thought the same, politics & life would be very boring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ThisRegard wrote: »

The journal one is awful. To jump between candidates I had to go back and enter the constituency every time. It's even worse on the mobile site. None of the links open.

• Advertisement

You just hit back on your browser and it brings you back to the candidate list for the constituency for me.

You just hit back on your browser and it brings you back to the candidate list for the constituency for me.

Maybe it's just my computer then. I'm in work and our IT is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Ivan Yates is giving seats to Leo, Donnelly, Coppinger and Burton. Burton to get in on transfers from Fine Gael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Number 3:

"We will make it a precondition for any incoming government that the needs of rural Ireland are addressed and the neglect of our countryside, of our rural towns and of our villages, ends. We will prioritise the development of a functioning rural broadband infrastructure. The closure of rural post offices and Garda stations has done massive damage to the social fabric of rural communities. The creation of new, stable jobs needs to be distributed nationwide for everyone to feel the benefits. The neglected rural transport network must be rebuilt. A full and functioning, customer-led banking system should be set up in smaller towns and villages. The requirement for a fairer distribution of CAP payments is paramount if we are to deliver the necessary economic stimulus."

Purely on the basis of this point alone, nobody in Dublin West should vote for a member of the Independent Alliance.

Across the world, over the last decade, while we have been buried in our own problems, the one big trend has been increased and increasing urbanisation. If Ireland is to retain a highly developed economy, the investment focus must be on our urban centres. One of the urban centres that has lacked investment is West Dublin. Rather than spending money on police stations in the middle of nowhere, the police stations in Dublin need to be beefed up to deal with the increased burglarly problem. As for rural transport, how many people will that carry compared to a much more worthwhile project such as DART Underground and the electrification of the Maynooth line which will make West Dublin a very attractive place to live. Similarly, rather than opening post offices that serve very few people and diminishing populations in rural villages, something needs to be done to improve the abysmal postal service in Dublin 15. These are things that don't just apply to West Dublin, they are things that are needed for the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Badabing wrote: »
    Ivan Yates is giving seats to Leo, Donnelly, Coppinger and Burton. Burton to get in on transfers from Fine Gael

On the RTE poll of polls, the Labour Party has 12% in Dublin. That should see Burton able to stay ahead of the likes of Chambers and McGuinness. Unless there is a huge transfer rate between which of them goes out first, I would agree with Yates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Mr. Chambers came to my door (well I say came to my door, my husband was getting into the car and he caught him before getting to the door) today. He had two older men with him. I wasn't giving him any time but he has charm, I'll give him that. He knows how to speak to people. He's the first to come to my door. I've heard Donnelly has been out but I haven't seen him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We received many many leaflets in our letterbox with updates on Chambers. On every single one of them he said he was continuing to visit every house in the area. What actually happened in our case was that an older man rang the bell, mentioned that he was there on behalf of Chambers, handed us the same leaflet and left. I wasn't going to vote for him anyway, but if I was that world have left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Murt10

I recently sent off an email to Joan Burton telling her I would never vote for her again after she promised to raise the old age pension by E5.00 pw over each of the next 5 years.

Does she not realise that every increase that she gives the old age pensioners has to be collected from the pay-packet of people who are working, and with our rapidly greying population there soon won't be enough to pay all the pensioners or for the other public services that we all need and use

The non contributory pensioners are paid far too much at present relative to contributory pensioners who have worked here all their lives. The non contributory pensioners get E219 pw. against E233.30 pw for the contributory pensioner.

So, for paying into the pension scheme for nearly 50 years, the retired worker gets a massive extra E14 pw. That slim difference is absolutely is disgraceful.

Likewise, you have two married old age non contributory pensioners who never worked a day in their life, living together in a house.

Next door, you have a couple with 3 children, who are out of work for the past year or two.

Guess which family is getting the most off Social Welfare.

The old age pensioners who never worked are getting E438*pw and the couple with their 3 children are getting E402.20pw*

Aren't we the right fools to let this ridiculous situation continue.

And Joan Burton wants to rub even more salt in the wound by giving them an extra E5.00 pw for 5 years. She now sounds like FF leaders in the past. Bribe the electorate with their own money and to hell with the consequences.

Former Joan Burton Voter

* The old age pensioners also get free electricity, TV licence and free travel. They also get a Christmas bonus, which the couple with the kids do not get.

The couple with the kids also get E420 pm child benefit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I find my vote is going all over the place this election, my number 1 is nailed on but the rest I'm unsure of the order still.

Had O'Gorman planned as a high preference but was disappointed with his response re Rossan Court so bye bye vote.

Imo McGuinness is massively more appealing out of FF, hell will freeze over before Chambers gets a vote from me.

I saw Chambers gormlessly looking over Martin's shoulder on the news earlier when they were doing the piece on FF putting posters up asking people to give Kenny their number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

athtrasna wrote: »
    I find my vote is going all over the place this election, my number 1 is nailed on but the rest I'm unsure of the order still.

Stop at 1 or 2 so.

It is true, any question asked of Jack results in one of the elderly men (old school FF) interrupting to answer the question, including his father.

As he is a charmer, no one will be insulting to him but many have commented that it just doesn't look well that others have to answer the tough questions.

Another sound bite being used by their entourage is 'are you from the country' in an effort to take advantage of the sizable D15 population who are from the country. I'm not sure if that works or not but maybe it does. :pac:

'are you from the country'

Surely the answer to that, if you're from Dublin, is yeah, I was born in Dublin.

It is true, any question asked of Jack results in one of the elderly men (old school FF) interrupting to answer the question, including his father.

As he is a charmer, no one will be insulting to him but many have commented that it just doesn't look well that others have to answer the tough questions.

Another sound bite being used by their entourage is 'are you from the country' in an effort to take advantage of the sizable D15 population who are from the country. I'm not sure if that works or not but maybe it does. :pac:

Not my experience yesterday... although I grilled him so much that the old man got fed up and wandered off.

January wrote: »
    Not my experience yesterday... although I grilled him so much that the old man got fed up and wandered off.

Canvassers want to get through the doors quickly - you were their worst nightmare :D

• Advertisement

Surely the answer to that, if you're from Dublin, is yeah, I was born in Dublin.

Spot on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Stop at 1 or 2 so.

In a four seater that's a wasted vote. I'll probably go to 4 or 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Has Catherine Noone been spotted canvassing yet in the constituency? Had two of her canvassers at the door a few weeks ago, but they said she wasn't out that evening as she was busy with her duties as a senator. Be interesting to see how many votes she can get?

Canvassers want to get through the doors quickly - you were their worst nightmare :D

I pity anyone else who knocks at the door so :pac:

January wrote: »
    I pity anyone else who knocks at the door so :pac:

We'll be there :D

We are out 6-9pm each night and all day on weekends, but he is knocking personally and its the only way to get support.

A lot of doors between now and February 26th.

That's more or less the accepted date now alright.

Pity, I'll be out of the Country, hate to miss a vote and the theatre of it all.

We'll be there :D

We are out 6-9pm each night and all day on weekends, but he is knocking personally and its the only way to get support.

A lot of doors between now and February 26th.

Don't be calling if there's football on...!!!!

Don't be calling if there's football on...!!!!

I can only promise you we won't be calling when Liverpool are playing, but if United are playing, you'll get more entertainment on the door step. :pac:

That's a preference lost anyway! :P

• Advertisement

I want to see a candidate personally knock on my door, even if they are a minister. Without a vote they're nothing so we should be taken seriously & given respect. When all I get is a canvasser, I close the door & their vote is lost. I want face to face dialogue on issues such as the economy, the 8th amendment, eu negotiations, brexit etc. I don't want a follower telling me they're "a grand lad". Do they really think that's sufficient?? The mind boggles.

Advertisement