Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to charge for babysitting?

Options
  • 23-02-2015 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering how much to charge for babysitting a two year old girl for four hours. The child will be awake for at least one hour and I will have to put her to bed. I was thinking about €25 for the night? Does this sound reasonable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Anon2013 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just wondering how much to charge for babysitting a two year old girl for four hours. The child will be awake for at least one hour and I will have to put her to bed. I was thinking about €25 for the night? Does this sound reasonable?

€25 would be very reasonable. Is it for someone you know? I'd kind of be thinking €35-€40 myself, less (or nothing) for someone I was close to. Your experience/qualifications would come into it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Anon2013

This is my first time babysitting for this family. I am also doing a degree I'm Early Childhood Education so have some experience.

I think a tenner an hour is generally the norm. However, when I used to babysit, I always used to do housework after the kids were in bed, so I felt like I was earning the money. :) In fact one family I babysat for used to sometimes pay me €30 to come over, put the kids to bed, tidy up a bit, and they wouldn't even go out! (Celtic Tiger days, though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

God I feel old...I used to earn £2 (punt) an hour and that was good! Anyway yes I think circa 10e an hour is the norm

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think 25 is reasonable for 4 hours once they are not very very late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Our babysitter charges 8 euro an hour to mind our two. She is a creche employee and has a degree in early childhood studies also. The 4 hours would cost 32 euro, but that's more children and she is a bit more experienced. I'd say the 25 euro is about right for your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

bp wrote: »
    God I feel old...I used to earn £2 (punt) an hour and that was good! Anyway yes I think circa 10e an hour is the norm

I feel even older, I used to get £3 (punt) for the night including staying overnight as the parents would be out all hours and then I'd be there until at least mid-morning until one of them got up.

I think €25 is fair for those hours.

When I think about it, €10 an hour does seem a lot, especially since many creche workers are paid less per hour when tax etc is taken into consideration. All the same though, it's the usual rate I hear mentioned. Must really look into getting back into babysitting - handy money! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

I used to get around the €8-10 mark when I was babysitting in Dublin about 7-8 years ago. Granted that was more Celtic Tiger times but I'd think around €8-9/hour would be fair now. €25 for 4 hours seems a little low to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I would think €25 seems good considering the kid will only be awake for 1 of the 4 hours you will be babysitting. If you're only going to be watching tv etc for the other 3 hours that is.

I would prob charge a slightly higher rate if the child was actually awake for the full time u were babysitting. Or if you were physically/intellectually engaging with them for more than the 1 hour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement