Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Dog chasing other animals

• 23-02-2015 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all, I have a dog, aged about 6 now, goldendoodle big dog, family pet. He has taken to escaping (mcgyver would have nothing on him) anyway tonight he catch our hen and killed it and proceeded
    To field with lambs and thankfully we caught him. Anyone any constructive suggestions. To be honest I'd be thinking of rehoming to more Experienced dog people. He's excellent with the family and the submissive of our 2 dogs. I'm in cork area, can anyone point me in the right direction. I've a very upset 5 year old with a dead hen and we are very afraid he'll go for the neighbours lambs etc. we want to do the right thing but would prefer not to put him down, if avoidable. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

How is he escaping? Can you get a secure dog run for him when you can't watch him? One with a concrete base so he can't dig out of it. Use tall stairgates in the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Can you not keep him contained whether it's in your house or a proper dog run? Surely that's possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They are really energetic dogs OP, and an under-exercised or bored dog will get up to all kinds of mischief to allieviate it. Can you tire him out more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

As above, I have read that they are high energy dogs, although I have no experience with them myself. You should get him into a secure run or a secure enclosure of some sort, ensure that he can't get out, if he is an escape artist you may have to take extra precautions. You should also make sure you are providing him with enough stimulation, enough exercise, through both mental and physical activities.

You need to be very careful to sort out this problem asap if you are worried that he may go after your neighbour's livestock and livelihood, you could find yourself in a very undesirable situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 buppydogs

Thanks for the replies. I'm afraid I have a
    New baby and don't have the time
    Or Energy for stair gating the house, constantly watching my back so he
    Doesn't escape, he has a dog run on concrete but it's not Big enough to leave him in. I am also more Concerned for the livelihood of our neighbours at this stage also. I'll have to figure something out. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

buppydogs wrote: »
    Doesn't escape, he has a dog run on concrete but it's not Big enough to leave him in. I am also more Concerned for the livelihood of our neighbours at this stage also. I'll have to figure something out. Thanks again.

Re-home him quickly. Somewhere he won't be a threat to livestock.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

obplayer wrote: »
    Re-home him quickly.

I'd agree with this as the most practical option

As above, I have read that they are high energy dogs, although I have no experience with them myself. You should get him into a secure run or a secure enclosure of some sort, ensure that he can't get out, if he is an escape artist you may have to take extra precautions. You should also make sure you are providing him with enough stimulation, enough exercise, through both mental and physical activities.

You need to be very careful to sort out this problem asap if you are worried that he may go after your neighbour's livestock and livelihood, you could find yourself in a very undesirable situation.
    Hi, I agree with you completely and to date this is what we have been doing, but he is managing to get out often now
    And it's become a serious issue regarding our in particular if anything was the happen with our lovely neighbours and their sheep.
    I was able To walk him before baby came along and even that was tough going. He Would pull on the lead and I've somersaulted more than once. He's so energetic, I thought he might calm as he got a bit older but that's not happening. I'm goin to have to sort something out anyway.

andreac wrote: »
    Can you not keep him contained whether it's in your house or a proper dog run? Surely that's possible?

Our goldendoodle is very big and very boisterous. He's not a house dog, he has 1/2 an acre of fenced garden to himself and his doggy friend, a run within that area( that he sleeps In only- It's small ) a walled garden with fence Over head, I've spent a lot trying to get him to stay in! But thanks for your suggestions.

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd agree with this as the most practical option

Thanks for Reply. I'm also beginning to think your suggestion is My only option, how Would I go about doing this does anyone know ? I'd say it'll be difficult to find a home for a dog who likes To chase animals , but I think I will try as I don't have the time he needs to try and train him and am too worried about him Escaping 'next time'. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

A long tie-out lead might help temporarily so he can't escape the garden but I'd agree that re-homing him with somebody who has more time to exercise him would be the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Have you got him since he was a pup op and is it only recently he has started this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Sure will you not have to find the energy for stairgates when your baby starts toddling around?

Maybe look into getting better control of the dog. There are all sorts of helpful walking aids e.g. Dogmatic Headcollars, harnesses etc. Some training for the dog & you?

Put the baby in a buggy/pram & go walking with the dog. Before you say you can't manage I have a 7 year old child who can hardly walk & a giant buggy & I manage! One of my dogs would be bigger & stronger then your crossbreed!

Far too many dogs end up homeless because of a new baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Thanks for Reply. I'm also beginning to think your suggestion is My only option, how Would I go about doing this does anyone know ? I'd say it'll be difficult to find a home for a dog who likes To chase animals , but I think I will try as I don't have the time he needs to try and train him and am too worried about him Escaping 'next time'. Thanks

Ask your vet for information about re-homing. Google 're-homing for dogs' and see what comes up in your area. Accept that the dog is leaving you and try all you can to avoid him being put down. PM me if you want me to do the googling.

lulu1 wrote: »
    Have you got him since he was a pup op and is it only recently he has started this.

I have had him since he was a pup and he has always been what I'd call difficult. An example would be if I walk him A. he still pulls the lead B. I could be a few miles away and he'll just sit and refuse to walk at all. He is extremely smart but has always been high maintenance. But ya I bought him as a pup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Buppydogs I have to also agree with above, you can't run the risk of him chasing sheep that are so close to lambing at this time of year. I'm sure the last thing you'd like to have happen is for him to be caught chasing them & shot because of it. Because he has already killed a hen, I'd be very wary of him close to a field with sheep. The stark reality is that farmers don't give dogs chasing them many chances.

In your garden could you try one of those tie-out stakes that corkscrew into the ground? Or even a radio collar?
    Otherwise you're going to have to find ways to tire him out and there are some great suggestions in posts above.

I'd imagine he's a part of the family now as you have him so long and that it would be hard to give him up but that may be the only option if you can't keep him contained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I know plenty of people that manage with 40kg+ dogs and have babies and manage to contain them and keep them occupied. Have you a doggy day care near you? Or even a local dog walker to take him out? Most professional dog walkers will know how to control a strong pulling dog and some would have their own harnesses to try and see which might work best on him. You could get a behaviourist in who would help you train him with loose lead walking and recall. And if he has a secure run then he can be contained in that once he gets out for his walk. Having a half acre garden doesn't compensate for getting out and that's why he's breaking out.

Is he neutered? If not I would absolutely do this if you're going to rehome him. Rehoming an intact dog will attract all the wrong sorts of people, who just want to take advantage and use your dog as a stud. And they wouldn't be reputable breeders but puppy farmers and back yard breeders who don't and won't health test.

If you're intent on rehoming him contact your nearest rescue, although pretty much every rescue in the country is under huge pressure. I know my local rescue doesn't have a premises but does help rehome dogs still with their owners by putting up their details on their websites and doing homechecks on prospective new owners. If you state what part of the country you're in people can pm you details of local reputable rescues.

I know plenty of people that manage with 40kg+ dogs and have babies and manage to contain them and keep them occupied. Have you a doggy day care near you? Or even a local dog walker to take him out? Most professional dog walkers will know how to control a strong pulling dog and some would have their own harnesses to try and see which might work best on him. You could get a behaviourist in who would help you train him with loose lead walking and recall. And if he has a secure run then he can be contained in that once he gets out for his walk. Having a half acre garden doesn't compensate for getting out and that's why he's breaking out.

Is he neutered? If not I would absolutely do this if you're going to rehome him. Rehoming an intact dog will attract all the wrong sorts of people, who just want to take advantage and use your dog as a stud. And they wouldn't be reputable breeders but puppy farmers and back yard breeders who don't and won't health test.

If you're intent on rehoming him contact your nearest rescue, although pretty much every rescue in the country is under huge pressure. I know my local rescue doesn't have a premises but does help rehome dogs still with their owners by putting up their details on their websites and doing homechecks on prospective new owners. If you state what part of the country you're in people can pm you details of local reputable rescues.
    Thanks for your reply. I am going to try and rehome him. You don't know my personal circumstances or the dog so I would say you can't really compare me to anyone else you know. I am now actively trying to have him rehomed. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I believe the above dog is now up on adverts.ie

Please op do not rehome through adverts or done deal - these websites are rife with people using dogs for dog fighting, puppy farming and all sorts of dreadful things.

Please go through a local rescue centre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

cocker5 wrote: »

Please op do not rehome through adverts or done deal - these websites are rife with people using dogs for dog fighting, puppy farming and all sorts of dreadful things.

Second that. Contact your local rescue or any rescue at all. It helps if he's neutered already (vaccination kind of speaks for itself as a must).do NOT rehome through adverts or done deal it's bad news for your dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

In addition: I did look into the person who has responded - i actually know her.She's a good woman and will help if she can.But be honest with her in regards to chasing and lifestock

Ok thank you . I just telephoned <snip> and <snip>. I'm to get him neutered this week and <snip> will try to rehome him for me thankfully. Thanks for letting me know about those sites. I appreciate it.

doubter wrote: »
    In addition: I did look into the person who has responded - i actually know her.She's a good woman and will help if she can.But be honest with her in regards to chasing and lifestock
    Oh I intend to be very honest as I don't want him being moved again of possible and I wouldn't want anyone's livelihood risked. Thank you again;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

No offence OP but I would respectfully suggest you educate yourself before ever getting another pet.

So many red flags in this thread.

You bought the dog as a puppy. The dog is a mongrel so you definitely didnt buy from a registered breeder.

The dog is 6 now and still unneutered. Why?

You dont have any effective control of the dog and are unwilling/unable to address that. Perhaps neutering would have been a good first step there in helping to calm him down?

You tried to rehome the dog through adverts.ie - really not advisable.

You live in an area with livestock and you bought a big energetic dog as a puppy who is untrained, isnt properly enclosed, isnt neutered and who you now want to rehome.

I dont want to be mean to you, but seriously? I really hope anyone else who reads this thread realises the commitment and responsibility needed when getting a dog so the above doesnt happen to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Agree 100% with the above post on all points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Agree 100% with the above post on all points!

Me too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Thanks for your reply. I am going to try and rehome him. You don't know my personal circumstances or the dog so I would say you can't really compare me to anyone else you know. I am now actively trying to have him rehomed. Thank you.

You're correct, but given the information that you supplied, it's very easy to see the circumstances.

Dog not allowed in house -> Dog getting lonely and frustrated and breaking out and getting up to mischief

Dog too boisterous to walk -> Dog doesn't get walked because you have your hands full and he's too "high maintenance" ie too boisterous and a puller-> Dog getting frustrated and breaking out and getting into mischief.

The fact that you won't let him in or even bother putting up stair gates when you'll need them in a couple of months anyway speaks volumes. I have 3 dogs, all medium/large, high energy hunting breeds. In fact I mind dogs and usually have more than that in the house and garden, stair gates used as door barriers are brilliant, I wouldn't be without them.

While you're going to rehome him (Please ensure he's going to a good home) You should know that dogs are companion animals and thrive on human company, another dog isn't necessarily going to fill the void that a human can (ie your other dog shouldn't be relied on to keep him occupied) and the reason he's high maintenance is probably because when he does get that human company he's SO excited and can't contain himself. It's very common with dogs who aren't allowed into the home to develop problem behaviours such as escapology or digging, or inappropriate chewing because they're frustrated and left to their own devices.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    No offence OP but I would respectfully suggest you educate yourself before ever getting another pet.

So many red flags in this thread.

You bought the dog as a puppy. The dog is a mongrel so you definitely didnt buy from a registered breeder.

The dog is 6 now and still unneutered. Why?

You dont have any effective control of the dog and are unwilling/unable to address that. Perhaps neutering would have been a good first step there in helping to calm him down?

You tried to rehome the dog through adverts.ie - really not advisable.

You live in an area with livestock and you bought a big energetic dog as a puppy who is untrained, isnt properly enclosed, isnt neutered and who you now want to rehome.

I dont want to be mean to you, but seriously? I really hope anyone else who reads this thread realises the commitment and responsibility needed when getting a dog so the above doesnt happen to them.

Thanks for your really helpful reply. You clearly haven't a lot to do with your time. As I said our circumstances have changed a lot and yes it's possible we could have done better with this dog but we haven't and are now trying to deal as best we can with the current situation. I am doing my best that's all I can now do. I am glad your life has run so smoothly and that everything you do is perfect. Maybe you could set up a business telling other people about what thy do right and wrong, sounds like it's what you like to do with your spare time and oh I don't mean to be mean!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

MrWalsh wrote: »

MrWalsh small dogs attack sheep too

on another note I'd like to thank(on behalf of her neighbour) the OP for taking action before lambs and ewes were attacked.

• Advertisement

You're correct, but given the information that you supplied, it's very easy to see the circumstances.

Dog not allowed in house -> Dog getting lonely and frustrated and breaking out and getting up to mischief

Dog too boisterous to walk -> Dog doesn't get walked because you have your hands full and he's too "high maintenance" ie too boisterous and a puller-> Dog getting frustrated and breaking out and getting into mischief.

The fact that you won't let him in or even bother putting up stair gates when you'll need them in a couple of months anyway speaks volumes. I have 3 dogs, all medium/large, high energy hunting breeds. In fact I mind dogs and usually have more than that in the house and garden, stair gates used as door barriers are brilliant, I wouldn't be without them.

While you're going to rehome him (Please ensure he's going to a good home) You should know that dogs are companion animals and thrive on human company, another dog isn't necessarily going to fill the void that a human can (ie your other dog shouldn't be relied on to keep him occupied) and the reason he's high maintenance is probably because when he does get that human company he's SO excited and can't contain himself. It's very common with dogs who aren't allowed into the home to develop problem behaviours such as escapology or digging, or inappropriate chewing because they're frustrated and left to their own devices.

You people who come I. Here to be rude and criticise Certainly are rude. I have a difficult situation and have had many changes including a new illness that means I can not let the dog in, I have an exceptionally low
    Immunity, I also can not walk him myself which means my his mad who works 5 days a week 12 hours a day is struggling to do this also. However I'd like to add since it's my post I'd prefer if you have no helpful advice that you find a thread where people like arguments and want your Negative unhelpful advice. As I've said I am trying to now the best I can and please note that's not your problem so try not to respond like it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement