Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Dog chasing other animals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Please don't, whatever you do advertise him on the net especially not 'free to good home'. dog baiters or backyard breeders could snap him up for a lifetime of confinement and misery.

I volunteer with a rescue and am heartsore and tired of stories like this one. So many dogs are dumped when babies come along. I hear the same thing over and over.

I personally don't agree with dogs not being allowed indoors or treated as a family member. They should at least be allowed in at night. Dogs are desperate for company and want to be with their owners all the time. Its not fair them being restrained all day on their own in a run and they can't be free to roam either.

Can you have a fence erected around your garden and ask a friend or family member to walk him? If you have no one to help and no energy to take him for long walks or to play ball with him yourself anymore then contact a local rescue. Send good quality photos of him and offer to pay a rehoming fee. If you also offer to hold the dog until a home or other rescue place is found, it will help your case.

Remember some pounds have very high pts figures but some work with rescue organisations to save what they can. It all depends on where you live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

buppydogs wrote: »
    You people who come I. Here to be rude and criticise Certainly are rude. I have a difficult situation and have had many changes including a new illness that means I can not let the dog in, I have an exceptionally low
    Immunity, I also can not walk him myself which means my his mad who works 5 days a week 12 hours a day is struggling to do this also. However I'd like to add since it's my post I'd prefer if you have no helpful advice that you find a thread where people like arguments and want your Negative unhelpful advice. As I've said I am trying to now the best I can and please note that's not your problem so try not to respond like it is.

If that is true, then get him neutered immediately before you pass him on. That will be unaffected by a new baby or illness, and may stop him ending up in the wrong hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Thanks for your really helpful reply. You clearly haven't a lot to do with your time. As I said our circumstances have changed a lot and yes it's possible we could have done better with this dog but we haven't and are now trying to deal as best we can with the current situation. I am doing my best that's all I can now do. I am glad your life has run so smoothly and that everything you do is perfect. Maybe you could set up a business telling other people about what thy do right and wrong, sounds like it's what you like to do with your spare time and oh I don't mean to be mean!!

Poster was simply pointing out that you might re-think your pet ownership strategy in the future to prevent the same thing happening again. I pretty much agree with everything in the post too tbh. Buying a non-pedigree, not bothering to have it neutered, not enclosing it properly etc and then saying things like, "he has always been toublesome" - there is no such thing as a dog that is just born troublesome. It's generally to do with inadequacies on the owners part. I think the poster just doesn't want the pattern repeated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Thanks for your really helpful reply. You clearly haven't a lot to do with your time. As I said our circumstances have changed a lot and yes it's possible we could have done better with this dog but we haven't and are now trying to deal as best we can with the current situation. I am doing my best that's all I can now do. I am glad your life has run so smoothly and that everything you do is perfect. Maybe you could set up a business telling other people about what thy do right and wrong, sounds like it's what you like to do with your spare time and oh I don't mean to be mean!!

I have no issue with circumstances changing and it is sometimes best to rehome an animal in that event - but even your approach to that has been appallingly irresponsible, advertising the poor animal on adverts.ie, where it is at risk of utter horror befalling it.

So, as for your indignation, Im sorry the truth hurts but you have behaved irresponsibly at every step of the way with regards to this dog. Hopefully this experience has at least educated you on what not to do, when you have time to put your pride aside for a minute and realise that you have badly let down an innocent animal.

I have no issue taking the time to point out when an animal has been wronged, in fact I feel it is my moral responsibility as animals cannot speak for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 buppydogs

Ann22 wrote: »
    Please don't, whatever you do advertise him on the net especially not 'free to good home'. dog baiters or backyard breeders could snap him up for a lifetime of confinement and misery.

I volunteer with a rescue and am heartsore and tired of stories like this one. So many dogs are dumped when babies come along. I hear the same thing over and over.

I personally don't agree with dogs not being allowed indoors or treated as a family member. They should at least be allowed in at night. Dogs are desperate for company and want to be with their owners all the time. Its not fair them being restrained all day on their own in a run and they can't be free to roam either.

Can you have a fence erected around your garden and ask a friend or family member to walk him? If you have no one to help and no energy to take him for long walks or to play ball with him yourself anymore then contact a local rescue. Send good quality photos of him and offer to pay a rehoming fee. If you also offer to hold the dog until a home or other rescue place is found, it will help your case.

Remember some pounds have very high pts figures but some work with rescue organisations to save what they can. It all depends on where you live.

Is there a particular reason that peoe
    Are so rude here? I didn't forget about the dog because I have a baby! I have had my 3 rd child- so try not to make statements you do not have the facts on . Also. I am sick, my circumstances have hugely changed and this is no bodies business
    Here but since some I you insist on being so judgemental I've no choice but to explain really. I am doing the best I can to avoid my dog being put down and the local lambs being killed!! My vet advised me to put him down, he is aware of my efforts with this dog and his behaviour. He maintains he is a hunter and nothing will change this. I do not want to do that if I can avoid it. I also have no family living near me and no my friends have enough of helping me In the past year with my children while I've been very unwell. Oh my dogs have an indoor loft to themselves with a lovely bedded area and plenty of toys. They get taken to the vet, groomed, played with etc but I can not take a chance on this dog eating someone's livelihood. I expected Help here not such criticism from people who know Nothing about me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

You people who come I. Here to be rude and criticise Certainly are rude. I have a difficult situation and have had many changes including a new illness that means I can not let the dog in, I have an exceptionally low
    Immunity, I also can not walk him myself which means my his mad who works 5 days a week 12 hours a day is struggling to do this also. However I'd like to add since it's my post I'd prefer if you have no helpful advice that you find a thread where people like arguments and want your Negative unhelpful advice. As I've said I am trying to now the best I can and please note that's not your problem so try not to respond like it is.

I haven't once been rude to you. I've simply pointed out the facts as you stated them. Had you pointed out in your first post that you have a new illness rather than he's too high maintenence then I might have worded my post slightly differently, more sympathetically perhaps - but the facts still stand, he didn't become a high maintenence escapologist overnight, his behaviour has developed over time because he wasn't lead trained, or neutered (an unneutered male can scale a sheer wall if he gets a whiff of a female in heat, even if she's miles away) and you stated yourself that he wasn't a house dog and that he had half an acre of garden. For most posters on this forum a dog is for life, unless there are catastrophic changes to their circumstances.

I actually think it's a good thing your rehoming him, because it is a huge risk to have a dog that now has a behavioural habit of escaping living in close proximity to livestock, and it's most likely a very difficult decision. But a lot of posters have given you good advice - ie get him neutered, go through a rescue and you're just getting worked up because you're focusing on the constructive criticism rather than the advice.

Are so rude here? I didn't forget about the dog because I have a baby! I have had my 3 rd child- so try not to make statements you do not have the facts on . Also. I am sick, my circumstances have hugely changed and this is no bodies business
    Here but since some I you insist on being so judgemental I've no choice but to explain really. I am doing the best I can to avoid my dog being put down and the local lambs being killed!! My vet advised me to put him down, he is aware of my efforts with this dog and his behaviour. He maintains he is a hunter and nothing will change this. I do not want to do that if I can avoid it. I also have no family living near me and no my friends have enough of helping me In the past year with my children while I've been very unwell. Oh my dogs have an indoor loft to themselves with a lovely bedded area and plenty of toys. They get taken to the vet, groomed, played with etc but I can not take a chance on this dog eating someone's livelihood. I expected Help here not such criticism from people who know Nothing about me.

I don't believe this for a second. Perhaps you want the dog PTS and you are trying to justify this.

I understand your frustration but I think people posting on here are not being rude, they are simply voicing concerns for the dog and in fairness, you didn't explain your situation from the outset so how are we to know? You are drip feeding information it seems as it suits you. Why come on asking questions if you don't want to hear the answers.

In my opinion, you should surrender the dog and have him re-homed, and definitely think twice before acquiring another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Regardless of changed circumstances, buying a pup off a back yard breeder, no neutering, not enclosing properly, and then trying to rehome through the internet are all extremely irresponsible behaviours towards dogs. None of the above have to do with changed circumstance or illness.

I havent been rude to you either but if you dont like the facts then maybe change how you treat animals?

To defend the API posters - you bought the dog as a pup, and have said he has always been difficult to walk etc. So that would indicate that you didn't train him sufficiently, as that would be your responsiblity, a dog doesn't just know how to behave, they have to learn, and be taught humanely. Its a great way to teach children responsibility as well, getting them involved in training, feeding etc.

What you are seeing as rudeness, is actually frustration by people who see dogs being killed needlessly all of the time because people get them and then don't do the necessary training. Responsible ownership is hard work, unfortunately a lot of owners don't understand that, and it is always, always the dog that pays the price.

The reason people are advising against advertising him where you are, is that is where dog fighters get dogs from. You may think that as your dog isn't a bull breed, he'll be safe from that - unfortunately the opposite will be true, he could be used as a bait dog. This is where he would be used to training fighting dogs, maybe have his back legs tied together so that he can't get away from the dogs being trained. Maybe strung up over a run with fighting dogs in. Whatever, he will have a pain and fear filled end of his life. And the dog fighters won't turn up in a transit with signs on it, they may well turn up in a family car, possibly with children in tow to play at respectability.

As for your vet advocating killing him for being a dog? I have a lot of respect for my vets and for some others I've met and dealt with, but not all of them are actually animal experts. Yes, they have medical knowledge, but no behavioural training or understanding.

muddypaws wrote: »
    To defend the API posters - you bought the dog as a pup, and have said he has always been difficult to walk etc. So that would indicate that you didn't train him sufficiently, as that would be your responsiblity, a dog doesn't just know how to behave, they have to learn, and be taught humanely. Its a great way to teach children responsibility as well, getting them involved in training, feeding etc.

What you are seeing as rudeness, is actually frustration by people who see dogs being killed needlessly all of the time because people get them and then don't do the necessary training. Responsible ownership is hard work, unfortunately a lot of owners don't understand that, and it is always, always the dog that pays the price.

The reason people are advising against advertising him where you are, is that is where dog fighters get dogs from. You may think that as your dog isn't a bull breed, he'll be safe from that - unfortunately the opposite will be true, he could be used as a bait dog. This is where he would be used to training fighting dogs, maybe have his back legs tied together so that he can't get away from the dogs being trained. Maybe strung up over a run with fighting dogs in. Whatever, he will have a pain and fear filled end of his life. And the dog fighters won't turn up in a transit with signs on it, they may well turn up in a family car, possibly with children in tow to play at respectability.

As for your vet advocating killing him for being a dog? I have a lot of respect for my vets and for some others I've met and dealt with, but not all of them are actually animal experts. Yes, they have medical knowledge, but no behavioural training or understanding.

And let's not forget that some of our frustration stems from the fact that some of us have devoted a great deal of time and energy cleaning up other peoples mess in this regard. :(

• Advertisement

I haven't once been rude to you. I've simply pointed out the facts as you stated them. Had you pointed out in your first post that you have a new illness rather than he's too high maintenence then I might have worded my post slightly differently, more sympathetically perhaps - but the facts still stand, he didn't become a high maintenence escapologist overnight, his behaviour has developed over time because he wasn't lead trained, or neutered (an unneutered male can scale a sheer wall if he gets a whiff of a female in heat, even if she's miles away) and you stated yourself that he wasn't a house dog and that he had half an acre of garden. For most posters on this forum a dog is for life, unless there are catastrophic changes to their circumstances.

I actually think it's a good thing your rehoming him, because it is a huge risk to have a dog that now has a behavioural habit of escaping living in close proximity to livestock, and it's most likely a very difficult decision. But a lot of posters have given you good advice - ie get him neutered, go through a rescue and you're just getting worked up because you're focusing on the constructive criticism rather than the advice.
    Yes a lot of posters as I said and thanked have given me good help and I appreciate it. I spoke with my vet this morning who feels neutering him will not stop him chasing animals to kill. He said the 2 are not proven to be connected. We had asked him about doing this before and he didn't see the point. I have 7 cats all rescues who I got neutered. Who I note are also not so safe with this dog. I also don't think someone should have to post their personal circumstances to get advice they need. The criticism is simply unhelpful. I want my dog to be happy and live if possible/. I am getting very conflicting replies. My rethinks he's better off put down as he said his behaviour has never been fixed with the training and he thinks he instinctively prefers the kill to anything else. I however would like to see if there is someone out there who has. Lot of enclosed land that can give him another chance. I hope I am doing the right thing, that at my plan Anyway. Thanks to the many people who offered not critical helpful advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Your vet hasnt a clue!!

Neutering is also to stop his wandering and also to stop back yard breeders from breeding him if they get him. Honest to god, i really feel so sorry for this poor dog who is possibly going to lose his life over your irresponsibility.

Yes a lot of posters as I said and thanked have given me good help and I appreciate it. I spoke with my vet this morning who feels neutering him will not stop him chasing animals to kill. He said the 2 are not proven to be connected. We had asked him about doing this before and he didn't see the point. I have 7 cats all rescues who I got neutered. Who I note are also not so safe with this dog. I also don't think someone should have to post their personal circumstances to get advice they need. The criticism is simply unhelpful. I want my dog to be happy and live if possible/. I am getting very conflicting replies. My rethinks he's better off put down as he said his behaviour has never been fixed with the training and he thinks he instinctively prefers the kill to anything else. I however would like to see if there is someone out there who has. Lot of enclosed land that can give him another chance. I hope I am doing the right thing, that at my plan Anyway. Thanks to the many people who offered not critical helpful advice.

Nobody has once said that neutering him will curb his urge to chase other animals livestock. :confused:

Posters have stated that it is highly risky to rehome an unneutered dog. They are targets for puppy farmers to use as stud dogs. Reputable rescues will NEVER, EVER rehome an unneutered dog, and there is a far, far better chance of getting a decent rescue to help you rehome him if he's neutered. It's responsible pet ownership as dogs procreate indiscriminately with any other dog and then there's more unwanted puppies.

Now it's the cats. Again with dripfeeding information as it suits you. OP what advice are you even looking for at this stage? Just rehome the dog and be finished with the situation. Nobody will judge you for that. Dog doesn't need to be put to sleep. He needs a responsible owner. If you have him PTS you will be (further)punishing him for your own failures. Now, I'm out because this shít is way too depressing for me.

I hope it all works out...for the dog.

andreac wrote: »
    Your vet hasnt a clue!!

Neutering is also to stop his wandering and also to stop back yard breeders from breeding him if they get him. Honest to god, i really feel so sorry for this poor dog who is possibly going to lose his life over your irresponsibility.

I am taking "what the vet said" with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Neutering will not stop him chasing livestock. What it will stop is him chasing after bitches in heat, which he can smell from miles away.

The dog is not better off PTS get him neutered and hand him over to a responsible rescue. Someone with some training ability will be able to teach him boundaries quite easily. If not then there are many, many dogs that are perfectly happy without being able to be allowed off-lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Hi all, I have a dog, aged about 6 now, goldendoodle big dog, family pet. He has taken to escaping (mcgyver would have nothing on him) anyway tonight he catch our hen and killed it and proceeded
    To field with lambs and thankfully we caught him. Anyone any constructive suggestions. To be honest I'd be thinking of rehoming to more Experienced dog people. He's excellent with the family and the submissive of our 2 dogs. I'm in cork area, can anyone point me in the right direction. I've a very upset 5 year old with a dead hen and we are very afraid he'll go for the neighbours lambs etc. we want to do the right thing but would prefer not to put him down, if avoidable. Any help appreciated.

Oh my god, why are people like you allowed to own dogs? Do you exercise the dog? Is the dog alone all day? Is he bored? Have you spent enough time with him? If your child dropped a lamp would you put it up for adoption

I have siberian huskies, if they got out they too would kill cats, chickens and probably sheep, so they don't get out. They also are very strong dogs, who pull. None of these things make them bad dogs. In fact, I'm sorry to mention it again, but one of my dogs, who was actually caught in a field of sheep before he came to me, and who I know for a fact would kill a cat or a chicken if he got the chance, is going to Crufts next week, has been a canine blood donor and hopefully will be earning a working title this weekend.

Having a high prey drive does not make a dog bad, it makes them a dog. Have your cats never killed any wildlife? If they have, they are just acting like cats, yet when a dog acts like a dog, their punishment is rehoming, or usually, death.

If you are intent on rehoming the dog please, please get him neutered. You describe him as a goldendoodle, he's not, he's a cross breed, but puppy farmers and back yard breeders put these labels on crossbreeds to make more money, so yes, a puppy farmer could well take him and leave him in a shed and just use him for breeding to make money.

Our goldendoodle is very big and very boisterous. He's not a house dog, he has 1/2 an acre of fenced garden to himself and his doggy friend, a run within that area( that he sleeps In only- It's small ) a walled garden with fence Over head, I've spent a lot trying to get him to stay in! But thanks for your suggestions.

Did it come as a surprise to you that dogs grow? You know what? I think you should find that dog a new home with new owners who aren't idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hi all, I have a dog, aged about 6 now, goldendoodle big dog, family pet. He has taken to escaping (mcgyver would have nothing on him) anyway tonight he catch our hen and killed it and proceeded
    To field with lambs and thankfully we caught him. Anyone any constructive suggestions. To be honest I'd be thinking of rehoming to more Experienced dog people. He's excellent with the family and the submissive of our 2 dogs. I'm in cork area, can anyone point me in the right direction. I've a very upset 5 year old with a dead hen and we are very afraid he'll go for the neighbours lambs etc. we want to do the right thing but would prefer not to put him down, if avoidable. Any help appreciated.

If you can't figure out how to control the dog.

Have him put down.
    Otherwise it's likely the farmer will shoot the dog AND you'll be paying compensation for lost sheep and lambs.

It's the better option rather than the dog being shot and more innocent animals being mauled to death.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »

Have him put down.
    Otherwise it's likely the farmer will shoot the dog AND you'll be paying compensation for lost sheep and lambs.

It's the better option rather than the dog being shot and more innocent animals being mauled to death.

Have you even read the thread:confused:

The OP is rehoming the dog. It is possible to contain a dog securely, posters have been advising the OP on the best course of action - ie neuter the dog, and rehome it through a reputable rescue who won't place the dog in an unsecure garden or near livestock. Putting the dog to sleep (after rehoming or securely containing) is the last option the OP should take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

_Brian wrote: »

Have him put down.

:eek::eek::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Sure it's the same old rubbish recycled again and again.

A person sees a cute little puppy, fluffy and small. Pay for it, overdo it for a few weeks with love and kindness, then starts getting big and troublesome. Can't be bothered to train or give the dog enough attention and stimulation. They become difficult to manage and then it's left outside to its own devices. Starts escaping and owner blames the dog for being difficult, naughty or boisterous.

Something happens, dog chases, kills, rambles or bits something or someone. Then the owner wants to get rid of their dog, rehome through internet sites or PTS. It's a scenario that has occurred thousands of times throughout Ireland. Most of the time with cute crossbreeds or mongrels

I live in a estate with two working sheepdogs. The 14 year old came from my Grandad when I was 10. The dog was demented(highly intelligent and energetic) Basically wasn't getting enough exercise or stimulation so I tied her to my bike with a horse harness and had a harness around her. First time she pulled me 2 miles without stopping. After a while I trained her to run behind the bike. I was 11 and could do it. Obviously father trained her to herd livestock. Should be no excuses.

muddypaws wrote: »
    I have siberian huskies, if they got out they too would kill cats, chickens and probably sheep, so they don't get out. They also are very strong dogs, who pull. None of these things make them bad dogs. In fact, I'm sorry to mention it again, but one of my dogs, who was actually caught in a field of sheep before he came to me, and who I know for a fact would kill a cat or a chicken if he got the chance, is going to Crufts next week, has been a canine blood donor and hopefully will be earning a working title this weekend.

Having a high prey drive does not make a dog bad, it makes them a dog. Have your cats never killed any wildlife? If they have, they are just acting like cats, yet when a dog acts like a dog, their punishment is rehoming, or usually, death.

If you are intent on rehoming the dog please, please get him neutered. You describe him as a goldendoodle, he's not, he's a cross breed, but puppy farmers and back yard breeders put these labels on crossbreeds to make more money, so yes, a puppy farmer could well take him and leave him in a shed and just use him for breeding to make money.

I would to use the word 'bad' to describe anything! So you've written an essay based on your own imagination.
    Also I don't care of he's called back yard breed or anything else, it doesn't insult me (I think you mean for it to?) clearly I don't put my passion and enthusiasm into the same things as you . Oh and last but not least a cat can't kill someone's livelihood, (certainly not my neighbours sheep as in my situation) but my dog can! That's what the problem is as opposed to your comparison on other animals such as cats killing other wildlife-irrelevant but thanks for such enthusiasm!! It's great to see.

Sure it's the same old rubbish recycled again and again.

A person sees a cute little puppy, fluffy and small. Pay for it, overdo it for a few weeks with love and kindness, then starts getting big and troublesome. Can't be bothered to train or give the dog enough attention and stimulation. They become difficult to manage and then it's left outside to its own devices. Starts escaping and owner blames the dog for being difficult, naughty or boisterous.

Something happens, dog chases, kills, rambles or bits something or someone. Then the owner wants to get rid of their dog, rehome through internet sites or PTS. It's a scenario that has occurred thousands of times throughout Ireland. Most of the time with cute crossbreeds or mongrels

I live in a estate with two working sheepdogs. The 14 year old came from my Grandad when I was 10. The dog was demented(highly intelligent and energetic) Basically wasn't getting enough exercise or stimulation so I tied her to my bike with a horse harness and had a harness around her. First time she pulled me 2 miles without stopping. After a while I trained her to run behind the bike. I was 11 and could do it. Obviously father trained her to herd livestock. Should be no excuses.
    Thank you Master, we are all your subordinates. All situations are not the same, just because some of you are obsessed with other peoples dogs it doesn't mean you know their situation. If I was looking for the same lame advice as above I've probably have thanked people for it. Maybe use your energy for something that can be helpful rather than wasting peoples time and your own.

doubter wrote: »
    :eek::eek::mad:

Thanks Brian, that's what my vet said too. I'll have to think long and hard about it but I can not risk my neighbours livelihood, that's for certain.

The point he was making was cats kill. Does it make them
    Bad cats? No. If your dog is killing animals and destroying livelihoods then YOU HAVE FAILED THE DOG AND ARE NOT FIT TO OWN A DOG.

It's your fault. All yours. Not your dogs. Excuses are for losers. Excuse after excuse changes nothing. Make all the excuses you like but at the end of the day, you have the dog that you reared, and now the dog is going to be taken away from the only family he's known (although hell be much better off) because you failed him. And dress that up as him being boisterous all you like, the poor dog is the one who I feel sorry for.

Have you even read the thread:confused:

The OP is rehoming the dog. It is possible to contain a dog securely, posters have been advising the OP on the best course of action - ie neuter the dog, and rehome it through a reputable rescue who won't place the dog in an unsecure garden or near livestock. Putting the dog to sleep (after rehoming or securely containing) is the last option the OP should take.
    In fairness Brian is entitled to an opinion even I it goes against yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

I would to use the word 'bad' to describe anything! So you've written an essay based on your own imagination.
    Also I don't care of he's called back yard breed or anything else, it doesn't insult me (I think you mean for it to?) clearly I don't put my passion and enthusiasm into the same things as you . Oh and last but not least a cat can't kill someone's livelihood, (certainly not my neighbours sheep as in my situation) but my dog can! That's what the problem is as opposed to your comparison on other animals such as cats killing other wildlife-irrelevant but thanks for such enthusiasm!! It's great to see.

It's not the dog being called a back yard breed, it's the breeder.Any breeder without a proper kennel registration and license is a back yard breeder.the other warning in regards to your dogs ancestors is that that specific cross is sought after by exactly these kind of breeders to create even more - potentially unwanted- pups.And the dogs usually don't get much care.

I would however echo the sentiment of neutering, all mine are done and I too own a husky cross and a malamute, but neither wander.(do keep in mind I have 45 acres of secure land for them to play in).

Going down the road of asking a rescue to help you re-home is the safest thing you can do for your dog if you are out of your depths trying to keep him contained.If the rescue is aware he is worrying lifestock they will find him a home well away form it. My only request would be to neuter him yourself to spare the rescue a few bob as they will do that anyway and funds are stretched to a max everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think the OP started this thread hoping that someone would take the dog for her. I don't think it's worth offering her advice as she seems to want to either get rid of the dog or have it put down, I'm not sure she cares which, so long as she doesn't have to deal with the dog. She seems to view all constructive advice as rudeness/criticism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement