Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle from hellfire to three rock

• 23-02-2015 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

has anyone ever done this on a mountain bike?lookimg for someone that could give me a decent route?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

On a MTB / CX I'd go like this: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7057696

Hellfire > Massey Wood > Tibradden Road > Kilmashogue lane to the car park > part of the wicklow way over Kilmashogue forest > Three Rock masts

(switch the map to OSMcycle to see the off-road bits)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Good man Alek - I was just thinking you'd be along any minute! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Brilliant thanks for that really appreciate it,I'm just trying to find some interesting routes to cycle!

Any more routes are welcome !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Alek wrote: »
    On a MTB / CX I'd go like this: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7057696

Hellfire > Massey Wood > Tibradden Road > Kilmashogue lane to the car park > part of the wicklow way over Kilmashogue forest > Three Rock masts

(switch the map to OSMcycle to see the off-road bits)

Hi Alek, thanks for posting that route.

Just wondering if you have done this route and what kinda time it takes? I might give it a shot when the weather calms down a bit so just wondering re timing / feasibility.

I haven't cycled it as a whole, but rather in parts on a few occasions. Kilmashogue lane and a few parts of the wicklow way are steep (>15%), prepare your granny ring :) Be careful in Massey wood, its a nice mild downhill forest path so you can go at some speed, but there will be people there in the daytime (I was there by night)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

The Dublin Mountains Way/Wicklow Way between 3 Rock and Tibradden Wood is doable on a mountainbike in either direction, but very technical if you like a challenge. It's a bit easier starting in 3 rock as the trickiest bits are downhill. I'd say it's 100% rideable in this direction by someone skilled, but I normally end up dismounting at some of the water bars.

Massey's Wood going from Cruagh/Tibradden towards Hellfire, rather than the other way, is also easier as it's downhill. You can enter at the last hairpin on Cruagh Road.

This is what I normally do:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/254779772/segments/5963782432

The actual DMW is a bit different:
    http://www.dublinmountains.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/dmwmap2_hellfire_threerock.pdf

If I was to start at masseys wood is there a route marked in and out? I ultimately want to go from hellfire to three rock and do most of it off road!

If I was to start at masseys wood is there a route marked in and out?

In: https://goo.gl/maps/7JMBX

Out - you will exit from the lane on the right: https://goo.gl/maps/HgXHW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Peterx

If I was to start at masseys wood is there a route marked in and out? I ultimately want to go from hellfire to three rock and do most of it off road!

I did this route yesterday https://app.strava.com/activities/259414709
    It goes up the edge of Masseys, through Cruagh, Up Tibradden, Up Fairy and finishes with the fun times on the Metros. Probably between 2 and 3 hours if you park at Taylors depending on the shlomp and your fitness. Starting at Hellfire you leave yourself with the boring tarmac to finish.
    It's all work for the first half with the reward at the finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

Was that you who passed me in the dark on the WW/Wocka Wockas? (I couldn't see who it was because of the strength of the lights)

• Advertisement

Cheers lads,all good info that I was looking for,appreciate it!hopefully get to check them out this weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Enduro wrote: »
    Was that you who passed me in the dark on the WW/Wocka Wockas? (I couldn't see who it was because of the strength of the lights)

Yep. I said hello. HELLO :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

:) Mystery solved.... that's a good set of lights you have (I was wearing a particularly weak heattorch so I had no idea who you were!!) Funnily enough I had just been thinking to myself that I hadn't met any cyclists along there in ages.

Enduro wrote: »
    :) Mystery solved.... that's a good set of lights you have (I was wearing a particularly weak heattorch so I had no idea who you were!!) Funnily enough I had just been thinking to myself that I hadn't met any cyclists along there in ages.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DHZKOQ0/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item_image

Very good so far.

Where would the wocka wockas be now lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Top secret! ;)

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Top secret! ;)

Some how I had a feeling that's what the answer would be ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

hellfire / three rock
    The only two hills in Ireland I've walked up. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

Would anyone be interested in a meet up to do this route (that knows it) also with them lights did you get tge rear light too any use?

• Advertisement

ssshhh123 wrote: »
    Would anyone be interested in a meet up to do this route (that knows it) also with them lights did you get tge rear light too any use?

Where are you based?

Where are you based?

Balyboden just a stones throw away

I'd be up for doing it might not be till week after next though,I'm moving house this weekend much to my disappointment!

Perfect sounds like a plan so. I working this sat and have a gaa match sun. So next week suits

Just along the WW down to the road after the turn off for Fairy Castle, going south.

Massey's Wood going from Cruagh/Tibradden towards Hellfire, rather than the other way, is also easier as it's downhill. You can enter at the last hairpin on Cruagh Road.

+1 on the Cruagh down to Hellfire via Massey's Wood. Was up there this morning messing around Hellfire and Massey's Wood to check out routes. Hellfire is grand but parts of Massey's are fairly sloppy for slugging uphill, especially with MTB slicks.

Good fun in/around there. Passed both places heaps of time on the road bike. An MTB up Stocking Lane is a decent workout. Hopefully get to head up to the Cruagh Road entry point one of the days next week and work my way down through Massey's Wood.

Cleaning the bike remains a PITA however not as much a PITA as my loose front wheel could have been.

Headed up to Viewpoint via Stocking Lane with a detour in & out of Hellfire.

Came down from Cruagh Road via DMW and exited at Massey Woods entrance on Old Military Road. Not a bad wee route down. The 5 stiles to get over are a bit of a pain but otherwise it is fine.

blobbie wrote: »
    Headed up to Viewpoint via Stocking Lane with a detour in & out of Hellfire.

Came down from Cruagh Road via DMW and exited at Massey Woods entrance on Old Military Road. Not a bad wee route down. The 5 stiles to get over are a bit of a pain but otherwise it is fine.

You got that route on strava or anything?

You got that route on strava or anything?

I didn't record it but have put it into ridewithgps http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7125537

Basically Stocking Lane to Hellfire Club Carpark.
    Hellfire fireroad to Hellfire Club ruin.
    Hellfire fireroad back part of way to the "blue" route track.
    Single track down to Carpark.
    Exit Carpark and head up road to viewpoint.
    Take left back down towards Cruagh.
    At first bend where stream is, there is an entry point into woods.
    Follow track in woods down to Massey Wood entrance back on Stocking Lane.

My MTB "skills" are not up to much but I hope to start looking at some more of the off-road tracks from Hellfire Club down to Carpark.

• Advertisement
Advertisement