Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this normal for an instructor?

Options
  • 23-02-2015 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey guys,

I'm currently getting the 12 EDT lessons with an instructor and I also get a few practice sessions with them too. I'm wondering is this normal?...

1) Say the lesson starts at 1pm, the instructor gets there generally a few minutes late say 1.03pm and then they talk me through what we'll be doing in that lesson and the theory i.e. you must give way to traffic on a major road etc. It feels like they're reading right out of a theory test book, like I'm being talked at. I did my theory test and go over the book in between lessons, This goes on for nearly 15 mins. Then we get driving, for maybe 30 mins. They finish up 10 mins before the hour is over so 1.50pm and they fill out the EDT book. Even when I get practice lessons off them, this is the exact same (talking, finishing early, the 10 mins at the end is taken up booking next lesson). I was under the impression that I would be driving for...an hour.. especially in my practice lessons that I'm paying for. I politely inquired how much actual driving I'd be getting in lessons and practice and they said "35-40mins, which is more than most drivers would do. If I'm not happy I can get someone else". I said no, no I was just wondering.

2) They take calls during some of the lessons, the calls have been people booking other lessons, but they get their note book out to schedule lessons, have a bit of chat on the phone when I'm not sure which way I'm meant to be driving, and the call goes on for a few minutes. I'm still a very inexperienced driver, and I find it a bit un-nerving and unprofessional.

Is this normal? They're not major things and EDT lessons have to be completed either way, I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

Thankssss :-D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

If I were you I'd be looking for another instructor. You are paying them so they should be yours for the entire hour, they can answer calls on their own time.

An instructor should have their attention on your driving at all times throughout the entire lesson. It can take just a split second for a collision to happen. Someone who is doing EDT lessons isn't going to have the same level of anticipation as someone with a full licence. This means the instructor should be focused on your driving and the road as he/she will be able to anticipate things quicker and react/guide you appropriately.

When I was learning initially my instructor stopped me from taking a right turn. The gap was too small and if I had proceeded there would have been a crash. Had my instructor been on the phone and missed what I was doing who knows what could have happened.

Also, you could have some bad habits that could cost you on the test day. Your instructor could be missing them if they're on the phone.

Driving lessons are expensive, I'd be looking for a lot better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Instructors talk you through each lesson and what you will be covering that only takes around 5 mins at least. Generally I was out driving for at least 50 mins during my lessons and my instructor only took a minute or two to fill out the book. Scheduling the next lesson did not take 10 mins. If you aren't happy with your instructor change to a different one, no point in paying out so much money if you aren't getting the full benefit from each lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kell15432

Bobby42 wrote: »
    If I were you I'd be looking for another instructor. You are paying them so they should be yours for the entire hour, they can answer calls on their own time.

An instructor should have their attention on your driving at all times throughout the entire lesson. It can take just a split second for a collision to happen. Someone who is doing EDT lessons isn't going to have the same level of anticipation as someone with a full licence. This means the instructor should be focused on your driving and the road as he/she will be able to anticipate things quicker and react/guide you appropriately.

When I was learning initially my instructor stopped me from taking a right turn. The gap was too small and if I had proceeded there would have been a crash. Had my instructor been on the phone and missed what I was doing who knows what could have happened.

Also, you could have some bad habits that could cost you on the test day. Your instructor could be missing them if they're on the phone.

Driving lessons are expensive, I'd be looking for a lot better than this.

Appreciate the input and reply..!! I feel the same, that they should be giving me their full attention.

The thing is when I was initially looking for instructors, I rang a place that seemed to have good reviews, I booked in with them. The person who was going to be my instructor asked would 5.30pm suit? (for my very first driving lesson... so we'd be driving in the dark) They sounded pretty young also. So I cancelled and finally found this person. I feel relatively comfortable with them in the sense that I'd hate to have to meet a new person every few weeks and get into a car with them a drive around and them give me direction, maybe I'm shy or whatever but I find that a bit nerve wracking.

So I'd prefer not to have go through the hassle of changing, but is there any polite way for me to mention the phone situation? I inquired before about how much driving id get before and they literally said if I don't like it I can go with someone else. It's costing 300e for 12 EDT and 30e per driving lesson. The phone was ringing at the beginning of the lesson and they said "oh i thought I put this on silent"... then it rang again 10 minutes later and they had a full blown chat. Booking other lessons, while you're on a lesson.

Other things that have crossed my mind is that I'm on lesson 8 and they haven't uploaded any of the lessons to the RSA site, maybe that's done when you do all 12? They also told me that they don't like their job and it's just to pay the bills at this stage. Which is totally fine lots of people don't like their jobs, but when I'm paying someone a few hundred euro it's offputting to hear that..Sorry for the rant here, its just as you said it is a lot of money, time and effort that goes into learning how to drive and you hope you're getting your moneys worth.

user.name wrote: »
    Instructors talk you through each lesson and what you will be covering that only takes around 5 mins at least. Generally I was out driving for at least 50 mins during my lessons and my instructor only took a minute or two to fill out the book. Scheduling the next lesson did not take 10 mins. If you aren't happy with your instructor change to a different one, no point in paying out so much money if you aren't getting the full benefit from each lesson

I definitely haven't been driving for 50 mins every lesson that's for sure. Would you mind PM'ing me the name of your instructor by any chance? Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He shouldn't be taking calls on your time, theres email and voicemail for that.

• Advertisement

It's good getting confirmation of what I was thinking in my head those times the phone rang. Kinda raging now, a cheek like they'v been driving 20 odd years. I can barely drive like, they were trying to whisper to me "take a left" or whatever, while scribbling down their next booking in their diary. I'm starting to considering trying someone else out, at least for practice lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agree with this 100%. You are paying for his time and his full attention during the hour. He should not be taking phone calls during that time. It is very unprofessional. How you tell him that politely is up to you. I'd be tempted to tell him that exactly. But how about you tell him that you find his talking on the phone during your lesson to be very distracting and could he please stop doing it. If he is so thick or ignorant that he does not get where you are coming from immediately, then get another instructor/and or report him to the RSA.

If you are paying for a hours lesson, you should be doing at least 45 to 50 minutes of actual driving. I don't think that it is unreasonable for him to take 5 minutes at the start and end of each lesson to discuss your progress. But it shouldn't be more than that, unless there are very specific things that he needs to discuss with you.

Your EDT lessons should be logged on the RSA's website as soon as they are done. There is no reason for him not to be doing so.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Agree with this 100%. You are paying for his time and his full attention during the hour. He should not be taking phone calls during that time. It is very unprofessional. How you tell him that politely is up to you. I'd be tempted to tell him that exactly. But how about you tell him that you find his talking on the phone during your lesson to be very distracting and could he please stop doing it. If he is so thick or ignorant that he does not get where you are coming from immediately, then get another instructor/and or report him to the RSA.

If you are paying for a hours lesson, you should be doing at least 45 to 50 minutes of actual driving. I don't think that it is unreasonable for him to take 5 minutes at the start and end of each lesson to discuss your progress. But it shouldn't be more than that, unless there are very specific things that he needs to discuss with you.

Your EDT lessons should be logged on the RSA's website as soon as they are done. There is no reason for him not to be doing so.

In fact they don't discuss my progress to me at all. She just scribbles places we'v driven in the book (in handwriting I can't read so it's hardly useful for me to look at). I said "Ehm I can't quite read what that says there", not that it's anything useful. SO they write in the book places we'v driven, they write the dates, my DOB, get the stamp out, get me to sign, book in next lesson- we're talking over 10 mins this all takes. So they have taken a full hour to do all of that.. when here I was thinking it was meant to be driving an hour or close enough to an hour.

Good to know that they should be uploading to the RSA website after every lesson, I assumed as much but good to get confirmation.

I'm glad I posted here tonight to hear feedback from others who are/or have been in the same position. I have a lesson booked for this week, I'm going to try mention the phone thing to them at the beginning of the lesson (side note- I sense a defensiveness off the instructor, I envision them just getting defensive when I say that but whatever) In the meantime, I'm going to start looking at other instructors.

Appreciate all of the feedback....!!!

Lord above. She sounds utterly useless. Bad luck for you to be saddled with her.

Make a list.

1. You are not getting proper feedback on your lessons...what are you doing well, what needs to be improved upon etc etc. How are you to use your practice driving to good effect, if you are not doing it in the context of what your instructor thinks of your driving? She is the best judge of it after all. Or at least, she is supposed to be.

2. Why are your EDT lessons not uploaded on the RSA's website?

3. Why is so much time being wasted on non driving activities?

4. Her taking phone calls during lessons is unprofessional and distracting.

From your posts, you sound as if you are reluctant to engage in a one on one confrontation with her. So make an appointment to talk to her on the phone WHEN SHE IS NOT GIVING SOMEONE ELSE A LESSON. Tell her all of the above. Tell her you have taken some advice from others and you would appreciate her input before your decide what to do going forward, including your reporting her to the RSA for all the items listed above. She sounds like she has been taking serious advantage of you up to now. Unless you decide to stand up for yourself, she won't stop.

Lord above. She sounds utterly useless. Bad luck for you to be saddled with her.

Make a list.

1. You are not getting proper feedback on your lessons...what are you doing well, what needs to be improved upon etc etc. How are you to use your practice driving to good effect, if you are not doing it in the context of what your instructor thinks of your driving? She is the best judge of it after all. Or at least, she is supposed to be.

2. Why are your EDT lessons not uploaded on the RSA's website?

3. Why is so much time being wasted on non driving activities?

4. Her taking phone calls during lessons is unprofessional and distracting.

From your posts, you sound as if you are reluctant to engage in a one on one confrontation with her. So make an appointment to talk to her on the phone WHEN SHE IS NOT GIVING SOMEONE ELSE A LESSON. Tell her all of the above. Tell her you have taken some advice from others and you would appreciate her input before your decide what to do going forward, including your reporting her to the RSA for all the items listed above. She sounds like she has been taking serious advantage of you up to now. Unless you decide to stand up for yourself, she won't stop.

I had another look at the book there and under "Feedback" every week she just just lists what we did and then writes "read rules of road. get few hours practice". I'v told her every week I'v no access to a car to practice, I'm low on funds at the moment to get regular ones off her, I got about 5 and they were all the same. Telling me to read the rules of the road..get feedback? not. I asked for specifics a few times and she just says "you need more practice in general. All it is is practice. That's what driving is about". So I assumed that was the ****ty feedback all instructors gave.

When I asked about the lack of driving time done, she said I can go elsewhere if I'm not happy, so that gave me an indication of how she reacts to things.

Thanks for the advice ProudDub. I am still going to pull her up on these things- but she seems like she could give 2 f%cks. She told me she doesn't like the job anymore.. It's almost like I'v to tip toe a bit around the instructor, like if I was getting paid and this was my job I'd go out of my way to be good at it and accommodating, it shouldn't be the other way around.

I'v only a few lessons left to complete the EDT but that's still a lot of money and new things I could be learning so I'm going to hopefully find someone new and decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

I wouldn't waste another lesson on this "instructor" or your cash.

I only learned to drive in the last couple of years and had a decent EDT. Actually, not just decent, he was very good. He knew the stuff backwards and was very up to date, even at the time, details about changes they might make to the structure of the programme. He was very passionate about being an EDT but extremely sharp and on the ball with my driving in so much he noticed any change in my behaviour or mood as much as he would have noticed if I had checked my mirrors or not or what position my hands were in. He didn't miss a thing and was in the end, a very good judge of my capabilities on which roads to bring me on. And yes, the first say 5 minutes of the lesson was going through what we were going to do, asking me about any practice I had done, if I read up on that day's lesson, signing the log book at the start and at the end and going over my progress after each lesson and going through with me whatever he had written in the log book.

And I'd agree, someone on the phone beside you if you're inexperienced is highly distracting, but an instructor on your time doing it while the learner is driving is downright dangerous and irresponsible of that instructor because you as a learner may miss some hazards such as the cyclist that you missed when you didn't check the mirrors making a turn that they whispered to you while on the phone.

I'd report that EDT. They're being irresponsible and completely negligent as an instructor, even in practice lessons and actually their behaviour poses a danger on the road in that a learner may not always have full control of the car or the experience/capability to deal with a hazard, and the instructor themselves should be in a position where necessary to intervene either by dual controls or preventing the situation from happening or taking necessary action.

The only time you should waste on this instructor is to tell her you are no longer taking lessons from her.

On feedback - are you specifically referring to your lesson feedback? ADI feedback should reflect on the lesson in the sense that "X did well in awareness of hazards (stationary and moving) and shares the road and yields to other road users. But X must always keep looking well ahead to identify these hazards....." etc reflective of a lesson I had where perhaps I didn't anticipate/react to a hazard in time, even if I was able to identify it. Recommended actions would include what stuff I would need to practice or bringing to attention an issue such as going up in gears to make good progress, or reading up on something for the next lesson.

You shouldn't be tip toeing around the phone issue and you shouldn't be tolerating a useless instructor for any reason. She's not just a useless instructor, she's a dangerous one and you'd be saving a lot of other students the hassle of having someone as crap as her teach them to drive, who might just be on the phone too long to notice the cyclist that the learner has missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

Change ASAP.

You are wasting your time and money.

orthsquel wrote: »
    I wouldn't waste another lesson on this "instructor" or your cash.

I only learned to drive in the last couple of years and had a decent EDT. Actually, not just decent, he was very good. He knew the stuff backwards and was very up to date, even at the time, details about changes they might make to the structure of the programme. He was very passionate about being an EDT but extremely sharp and on the ball with my driving in so much he noticed any change in my behaviour or mood as much as he would have noticed if I had checked my mirrors or not or what position my hands were in. He didn't miss a thing and was in the end, a very good judge of my capabilities on which roads to bring me on. And yes, the first say 5 minutes of the lesson was going through what we were going to do, asking me about any practice I had done, if I read up on that day's lesson, signing the log book at the start and at the end and going over my progress after each lesson and going through with me whatever he had written in the log book.

And I'd agree, someone on the phone beside you if you're inexperienced is highly distracting, but an instructor on your time doing it while the learner is driving is downright dangerous and irresponsible of that instructor because you as a learner may miss some hazards such as the cyclist that you missed when you didn't check the mirrors making a turn that they whispered to you while on the phone.

I'd report that EDT. They're being irresponsible and completely negligent as an instructor, even in practice lessons and actually their behaviour poses a danger on the road in that a learner may not always have full control of the car or the experience/capability to deal with a hazard, and the instructor themselves should be in a position where necessary to intervene either by dual controls or preventing the situation from happening or taking necessary action.

The only time you should waste on this instructor is to tell her you are no longer taking lessons from her.

On feedback - are you specifically referring to your lesson feedback? ADI feedback should reflect on the lesson in the sense that "X did well in awareness of hazards (stationary and moving) and shares the road and yields to other road users. But X must always keep looking well ahead to identify these hazards....." etc reflective of a lesson I had where perhaps I didn't anticipate/react to a hazard in time, even if I was able to identify it. Recommended actions would include what stuff I would need to practice or bringing to attention an issue such as going up in gears to make good progress, or reading up on something for the next lesson.

You shouldn't be tip toeing around the phone issue and you shouldn't be tolerating a useless instructor for any reason. She's not just a useless instructor, she's a dangerous one and you'd be saving a lot of other students the hassle of having someone as crap as her teach them to drive, who might just be on the phone too long to notice the cyclist that the learner has missed.

Wow that instructor you had sounds really good. Where would I even go find a good one.. obviously that sounds like a silly question. I mean there's so many online and with websites it's hard to know who's good and who's not.. I did what I thought was good research for my current instructor. Obviously not. I didn't know what t expect from an EDT instructor (or any driving instructor). I am glad I posted here this evening.

I re-read my log book in full tonight. The handwriting is almost illegible, but I can see the 'Feedback' from my ADI every weekend is just summary of what we did in the lesson. The recommendations every week...are "3 hours practice" and "read rules of the road". So I'm not left with specifics like you mentioned..."X did well in awareness of hazards (stationary and moving) and shares the road and yields to other road users. But X must always keep looking well ahead to identify these hazards....."

I'd appreciate feedback like that. Rather than sitting there with someone who's taking calls. They also chit-chat a little with me about the weather or whatever when driving but to be honest I can't even concentrate with idle conversation, no mind phone calls. I only learned how to take off and drive on a road 7/8 lessons ago. I'm not one of those people who vaguely knew how to drive before. Then there's people beeping at me when I'm slow taking off, I feel on edge in the car. I suppose I feel bit bad cause they're relatively friendly but sure I am paying for a service. One thing is I'm paying for the lessons in installments.. do I ask them to come to the lesson this week so I can pay the outstanding and then that's it? If I report them, wouldn't they suspect it was me?

Have you already paid her for the lessons that you have already had?

Have you already paid her for the lessons that you have already had?

Yeah. I'v been paying in installments, so I'm due to pay her (outstanding about 100e)

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

I honestly don't know about re the instalments issue; I'd consider that if I owed her money for a last lesson I'd pay for time used, but not for future arranged lessons of any sort. And then I'd be done with her.
    As for reporting her - on the RSA site there is a confidential line to call for unlicensed instructors, however I would assume you could call that to complain about instructors who are licensed who perhaps should have their abilities checked and see if she is maintaining an expected consistency and standard that is to be upheld. As far as I know from the instructor I had, he himself had to pass driving tests and knowledge tests to even be an ADI and that is routinely tested and he was very upfront about that (edit this can be confirmed on RSA's website).
    My instructor explained to me that he had to engage in conversation with me while driving so that you are able to drive and communicate at the same time, my brother's ADI in another part of the country also did this, so I understand it is the norm. [Edit to clarify, this was only done in the later lessons, not at the beginning where conversation was restricted to giving directions when driving and only afterwards when parked did we converse]. But an instructor on the phone instead of watching where the learner is going is not, and there is a difference in that the instructor can still react and make observations while chatting to you but cannot if they are not paying attention because they are conversing with someone else on the phone and a diary out and not seeing what is on the road.
    You should be getting constructive feedback and criticism from your instructor. You should be discussing at the end of lessons what went well, what, if anything went wrong, and what you can do to improve. the ADI feedback in the log book is a reflection of what is discussed at the end of the lesson as well as any prep work you need to do for the next lesson (e.g. read up on speed limits and stopping distances in the accompanying book which also refers you to the ROTR, which because of the way the EDT is done, you've probably read before but this might be applicable to e.g. night driving). Any decent ADI should be giving you help and support throughout the process, even on just feeling nervous or how to cope with being beeped at and it making you more nervous and how to deal with situations when you feel stressed.
    You can find a list of ADIs on the RSA website... I saw lots of ads around when I was looking for an instructor in local shopping centres but I actually went straight to the ADI list and I looked at ones in my area that were in close proximity to me and filtered out who I could do further research on and who I could only phone. I wasn't even 100% sure if that instructor was for me until after the first couple of lessons, tbh I think it was his by-the-book approach coupled with his general attitude and calmness and just how he did things that I knew I had the right instructor for me.

kell15432 wrote: »
    Yeah. I'v been paying in installments, so I'm due to pay her (outstanding about 100e)

Tell her you aren't giving her another penny, until all of your EDT lessons are uploaded onto the RSA website.

When they are, tell you how unhappy you have been with the lessons so far and why. Tell her you do not feel that she is giving you what you are paying for and ask her what is she going to do to redress the matter. See what she says. If it were me, I would be looking for at least two free lessons.

It is a pity that you waited until after you have had so many lessons, as expressing your unhappiness 2/3 of the way through them, gave her a false sense of security that you were happy with the way things were going. In your defense, you are so new to the whole driving lark, it is not as if you are an expert in how these things work. If her response is favourable, then pay her the rest of what you owe her, but not a penny more. Then go to someone else.

Btw, I would have a hard think about holding off on any more lessons until you have access to a car to practice in. Not having one makes it very hard to learn.

So I messaged her this morning asking normal, polite (please, thanks etc) if they could upload the lessons I have done so far to the RSA website..then I get a response telling me " I can't stop during an EDT to upload lessons. I do it at a specific time, when I have time. Uploading them now is of no benefit to you unless you want to do a driving test next week". I replied saying I'v paid for them and would like them put up, as others I know had them uploaded after each lesson. Then I get what I feel is an unwarranted rude reply.... "I would appreciate your patience please. I cannot give driving lessons and stop and upload your EDT lessons. It will be done, Your lessons will be uploaded. Please be patient."

Like god, I'm paying her loads and they're providing a service..and I get a reply like that? I would never dream of giving a reply like that if someone was paying me and politely asked something they were due. I then replied telling her that taking calls during lessons is something I could have reported, as it is not only rude but dangerous. I said how unacceptable it was etc. They replied again saying "As I said it will be done it time. Pls be patient. Thanks". I replied saying I won't be using their services anymore and once they upload the lessons on the RSA website, we can settle up.

I haven't gotten a reply yet. Is there a way she could not upload the lessons at all and I'd be screwed?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

This person sounds like she has no idea what she's doing. It surprises me that she's gone through the three-stage ADI examination process and passes regular check-tests. :confused:

Tell her you aren't giving her another penny, until all of your EDT lessons are uploaded onto the RSA website.

When they are, tell you how unhappy you have been with the lessons so far and why. Tell her you do not feel that she is giving you what you are paying for and ask her what is she going to do to redress the matter. See what she says. If it were me, I would be looking for at least two free lessons.

It is a pity that you waited until after you have had so many lessons, as expressing your unhappiness 2/3 of the way through them, gave her a false sense of security that you were happy with the way things were going. In your defense, you are so new to the whole driving lark, it is not as if you are an expert in how these things work. If her response is favourable, then pay her the rest of what you owe her, but not a penny more. Then go to someone else.

Btw, I would have a hard think about holding off on any more lessons until you have access to a car to practice in. Not having one makes it very hard to learn.

You're right,, I just didn't have any experience with driving instructors and my confidence is a bit low driving so I just accepted it.. I feel a bit like argh effort of finding someone new, but I'm glad in a way now cause them taking calls and all is taking the cake.

2 free lessons would be brilliant.. but you'll see in reply below what transpired today.. so I don't see any chance at all of her trying to redeem herself. She seems to be an angry person, and really rude. I don't get it. She did tell me she doesn't like her job teaching driving, shes been doing it so long. She seems bitter. I hate confrontation and try avoid it. My hearts beating real fast after those texts from her :( No wonder she did a decent ish price.

I'm low on funds at the moment but can't get a good price on insurance until I complete all of the EDT so I wanted to do them and then get a car, which will hopefully be in the next few months!

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    This person sounds like she has no idea what she's doing. It surprises me that she's gone through the three-stage ADI examination process and passes regular check-tests. :confused:

She's older than 40 anyway.. not to give too much info away. She said she had to go through rigorous testing to get to be certified. So it's surprising yeah... her manner is crazy. It's annoying that it'l prob cost me more getting the remainder of the EDT with someone new now but sure it will be good being with a decent instructor hopefully

She's older than 40 anyway.. not to give too much info away. She said she had to go through rigorous testing to get to be certified. So it's surprising yeah... her manner is crazy. It's annoying that it'l prob cost me more getting the remainder of the EDT with someone new now but sure it will be good being with a decent instructor hopefully

Whereabouts are you?

jimgoose wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you?

Dublin

Dublin

Hmmm. Don't know the lie of the land up there these days, so I can't recommend. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Dublin

I just PM'd you a great driving instructor I used before, believe me I went through many dodgy ones before I found one good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Galadriel gave me a recommendation a couple of months ago for a family member & I have to agree 100%, he has been fab.

Arrives on time, probably close to the full hour driving with some instruction before and feedback after. Just checked and the RSA updates are there bar the last one (just a couple of days ago).

Very clear instruction and very patient, advised he would never be able to take a call when he was doing a lesson but would call back asap.

TBH, I can't believe how far they have come on in just over a month, but to be fair they are getting loads of practice in which is going to be a problem for you as you really need to be able to practice. Any chance you can arrange a car to practice in?

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

Galadriel wrote: »
    I just PM'd you a great driving instructor I used before, believe me I went through many dodgy ones before I found one good one.

Galadriel, could you please PM me this person's name too? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

tradhead wrote: »
    Galadriel, could you please PM me this person's name too? :)

Sent :)

Dublin

Northside or Southside? I know a great guy based in Castleknock, but he'll do lessons anywhere on the northside. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of the Finglas and Raheny test areas too, so you can get great tips on the routes you may be taken on during your test. He loves what he does and loves to talk about it. If he doesn't have another lesson to get to, he will happily sit and chat with you about all aspects of learning to drive for as long as you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

Dublin

I've just PMd you a guy as well, could be the same as the one the others gave you as he seems to get a good few recommendations from Boards. He's very good and certainly won't mess you about like your current one. She just seems really awful. If I was you I'd definitely report her.

Advertisement