Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Cookies in a Jar

• 23-02-2015 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

So I got a present of cookies in a jar from someone and there was no instructions attached. I know they were bought in Dunnes because I saw them around Christmas time so I'm just wondering does anyone have an idea what yo do.

I've attached a picture so ye know what i'm talking about

339919.png

Hope someone can help 'coz i'm dying for some cookies :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Can you resize the pics? They're too big to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Can you resize the pics? They're too big to see.

Figured it out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Not too sure how much softened butter you should add to it as it's difficult to gauge from photo, but my guess is between 115g-150g?
    Then you'd probably need an egg and a teaspoon of vanilla extract.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How do you eat that? Is it like ice cream?

Stheno wrote: »
    How do you eat that? Is it like ice cream?

it's basically all the dry ingredients for cookies, so sugar, flour and chocolate chips.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

it's basically all the dry ingredients for cookies, so sugar, flour and chocolate chips.

Ah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Can't help with instructions, but there was a still a few hanging around on the shelves in Bishopstown Dunnes around a week and a half ago, maybe you could sneak off with a label (or a photo of one).

dibkins wrote: »
    Can't help with instructions, but there was a still a few hanging around on the shelves in Bishopstown Dunnes around a week and a half ago, maybe you could sneak off with a label (or a photo of one).
    raging!

im in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

The general ratio is approximately

1.1 : 1 sugar : butter by weight
    1.5 : 1 flour : butter by weight
    1.3 : 1 chips : butter

1 egg per 150g of butter

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2459643/vintage-chocolate-chip-cookies

So depending on the overall weight of the jar, you could try and work it out. I guess about 1/4 of the ingredient weight of butter and round up? then add an egg per 150g. Add the eggs one at a time, and cream the butter thoroughly. The ratio doesn't need to be super tight, it will just give slightly different crunch/chew/spread.

http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2013/12/the-food-lab-the-best-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

Some of the jar recipes seem to omit the eggs.

So I went for it . I used 150g butter and an egg and they were ok . Weren't great but were still good because there's chocolate in them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

That jar looks like the Scarlet Bakes Chocolate Chip Shortbread to me. You can see the inside of the leaflet on amazon as one of the images and if it is the shortbread one then you don't actually need the egg although the front of the leaflet says an egg is needed.

http://www.scarletbakes.co.uk/#/our-baking-mixes/4533541711

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scarlet-Bakes-Chocolate-Shortbread-Cutter/dp/B005VNU556/

Advertisement