Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harassment from manager

Options
  • 23-02-2015 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all, hope you are all well!

Myself and my colleagues are having a few issues at work which I'm hoping you'll be able to help us with.

This manager was introduced to our store several months ago; since then they've been praised highly for the amount of "work" they've put into the business since their arrival. Whilst I won't deny they have done a good job at many things, a lot of the credit is undeservedly given towards my manager when in fact it should go to another member of management. Regardless, they are dedicated and passionate; from a business point of view there's not really much you could fault them on.

My manager seemingly has little regard for their colleagues, and as a result staff morale has plummeted and tension is high. We're all miserable and feel as if there's nothing we can do to improve the situation. Our manager does not listen to any feedback or reason, and is aware of the issues we have, yet ignores them and continues going on the way things are. They are regularly late, often by hours, yet seemingly nothing has been done despite senior management being informed. They are patronizing, belittling (essentially incapable of talking to us properly), and they do not acknowledge the hard work the staff put in on a daily basis and yet has the audacity to criticize us regularly and on occasion claim we don't work hard enough (obviously from my perspective this is utter bull, but I genuinely believe that as a team we work very hard).

Recently, my manager has essentially threatened my colleague with his well-deserved additional contracted hours that has been in the pipeline for months. The threat boils down to the conditions that he does *not* speak to another member of staff, and that he improve his attendance. In the case of the latter, whilst you may think that is reasonable, the only reason why my colleague's attendance is "iffy" was due to a major illness, which at the time was accepted by my manager so it's as if this is now being brought up as an act to get at my colleague; which brings me to another point - my manager completely disregards this particular colleagues issues, which I won't state here, but suffice to say that they are considerable and I'm fairly certain they go out of their way to make this particular colleague uncomfortable.

Another issue I have is that a colleague was threatened by a customer in recent months and was told they would wait for him to the end of his shift, implying physical violence. My manager was sat outside as this happened and was unaware of what was being said, however acknowledged upon returning that they saw the confrontation (therefore did nothing about it despite being aware of a situation occurring). The aforementioned customer has returned on multiple occasions, leaving my colleague feeling intimidated by his presence in the store.

In short, the manager is young and inexperienced. There's a few more things I could write down but I was wondering what you people thought about this and how we could go about improving the situation.

Advertisement