Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qatar 2022 Mayhem

• 23-02-2015 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Don't plan on keeping this thread going for 7 Years, dont worry!!

Just keep an eye on developments as it appears a final decision on the time frame for the tournament could be close. FIFA looking to decide on a Nov / Dec tournament. Obviously UEFA will not be happy with that, should be an interesting battle to see how it turns out. It's FIFA's decision at the end of the day and all have to fall in line. is that right ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Time for UEFA to break away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

People just need to boycott that World cup. Only way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

syngindub wrote: »
    Don't plan on keeping this thread going for 7 Years, dont worry!!

Why, it's a great idea to chronicle and keep a running record of the absolute shambles that is going to be the lead-up to, preparation and ultimate staging of this farce of a World Cup.

May has already been ruled out at this morning's meeting, meaning it's almost guaranteed to be a "Winter" world Cup, and with a Winter Olympics scheduled for early 2022, and Blatter pretty much promising the IOC that he wouldn't run at the same time, a November-December tournament looks to be the only realistic option left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If Blatter gets the boot can this farcical decision be overturned?

It will ruin a lot of domestic seasons for years afterwards....

Vicxas wrote: »
    If Blatter gets the boot can this farcical decision be overturned?
    Probably not - contracts are already signed between FIFA and Qatar, so it doesn't matter who is in charge, the contract exists, HUGE court case if they pulled it.
    Vicxas wrote: »
    It will ruin a lot of domestic seasons for years afterwards....

And before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Guy on the radio saying that it's scheduled for a final on the 23rd December. Haha! What a mess!

That's a Friday, which is all kinds of logistical issues in a Moslem country - they do their weekly public prayers on a Friday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Guy on the radio saying that it's scheduled for a final on the 23rd December. Haha! What a mess!

Ah I had my 12 Pubs planned for that day... thanks a lot FIFA..... you're messing with peoples lives here!

That's a Friday, which is all kinds of logistical issues in a Moslem country - they do their weekly public prayers on a Friday.

Ha, another disaster to add to the list.

Whatever way you look at this it's just a total mess. TV scheduling, domestic league scheduling, travel arrangements, and even if they cancelled it would be a contractual mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Why, it's a great idea to chronicle and keep a running record of the absolute shambles that is going to be the lead-up to, preparation and ultimate staging of this farce of a World Cup.

There was actually another long running thread for Qatar22, pity this one was started as well as the other one was a better chronicle of the madness.
    COYVB wrote: »
    Time for UEFA to break away

Said it before but I think people overestimate the current opposition to FIFA because of the vocalness of the English media on the issue. It still remains mainly the English and Americans, with the Dutch being about the only continental organisation who look like they could be convinced to rebel.

• Advertisement

There was actually another long running thread for Qatar22, pity this one was started as well as the other one was a better chronicle of the madness.

Or a mod could merge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

This is going to be brilliant,really looking forward to settling down to some Wc matches after work in the middle of our bleak winter. Don't give a crap how it affects the premiership as I don't watch that muck.
    time for people to start cutting Sepp some slack, everyone was cribbing when he expanded Wc to 32 but it's worked out great, would you prefer Luis Figo and his insane 2 continent 48 team world cup proposal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I actually think a late November/December world cup would be brilliant. Will be great to come home on the dark winter days and have a few matches to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Would love if the clubs just refused to release their players. I'd imagine FIFA will still want their Confederations Cup on aswell, and want that in November/December the year before, so it ****s up two seasons straight off without considering the impact it has on seasons before and after. Confederations Cup would then clash with the African Nations Cup for whoever are the African Champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

titan18 wrote: »
    Would love if the clubs just refused to release their players.

That would be a major owngoal as imo around 75% of players would just upsticks and go to the world cup anyway. They can't all be sacked/sued. Would cause a major clusterfcuk.

Absolutely no way that Brazilians or Argentinians in particular are going to refuse to put on their teams jerseys in a World Cup and a chance at national immortaility. And plenty of top Europeans and Asians would doubtless feel the same pride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Don't give a crap how it affects the premiership

Do you think the PL is the only winter league:confused:

What about the CL and EL league as well as domestic leagues?

Do you think the PL is the only winter league:confused:

What about the CL and EL league as well as domestic leagues?

Don't care. Do you give a **** in normal world cup years when south American leagues are disrupted?
    sepp knows best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

UEFA and all the national leagues have 7 years to work around this and come up with a solution to give players the time off at that time of year. Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to work this out ?

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Don't care. Do you give a **** in normal world cup years when south American leagues are disrupted?
    sepp knows best

This is like a line straight from the Putin thread in AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The ECA will have a big say in who rebels against a winter World Cup. Uefa will have to back whatever decision is made by the ECA.

There are a number of reasons why I don't see a Winter World Cup happening,

The proper reason: Primarily because Qatar does not deserve the honour of hosting a World Cup with the way they are treating people out there.

The greedy reason: The World Cup has always been that added bonus for football fans every four years. We don't get that if this becomes a winter World Cup.

The financial reason: There will also be a huge rebellion against this from sponsors and large financial institutions because a winter World Cup around Christmas cuts into their earnings. Every four years there is a summer boom in sales of all football related merchandise from boots and jerseys to video games. These companies lose a fair bit of that business because a lot of it will become Christmas gifts instead which they already do quite well from.

I just don't see a winter World Cup happening anyways and the best players in the World will be getting warned from everyone around them not to play in severe weather conditions.

Money is going to win this thing one way or another. I just cannot see a Winter World Cup. I think if we do get one then it will change the landscape of football as we know it. There will be breakaways I think, I can see big clubs will try to keep their players away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

How strict are they on religion in Qatar? Surely that'll be an issue for games every Friday during the tournament then.

They're talking of shortening the timetable but keeping the same 64 games so they'll have to play Fridays to fit it all in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

There's a ACN tournament scheduled for January 2023 -that will make it interesting for players who partake in both - especially for their clubs

The contractual element of the 2022 tournament may not be that stable given that it was awarded as a summer tournament - depends if this was mentioned in the actual contract itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Hyzepher wrote: »
    There's a ACN tournament scheduled for January 2023 -that will make it interesting for players who partake in both - especially for their clubs
    Did'nt you hear? **** them. World Cup -**** yeah!!!

eagle eye wrote: »
    I just don't see a winter World Cup happening anyways and the best players in the World will be getting warned from everyone around them not to play in severe weather conditions.

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

This will all work out. Players will play, clubs will adapt, money will be made.

As has been said, the leagues have plenty of time to put whatever changes in place for this.

FIFA's remit is to spread football around the world, not just concentrate on the main leagues. The debate about whether it should be in Qatar at all in something different, but since that has already been accepted, by the main leagues as well, the issue becomes how to best hold the tournament.

If countries/leagues are not going to boycott because of the seeming corruption, the alleged abuse of workers in Qatar, the lack of civil liberties in Qatar etc then I doubt they will get too worked up about having to suspend their league for two months once.

greendom wrote: »
    UEFA and all the national leagues have 7 years to work around this and come up with a solution to give players the time off at that time of year. Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to work this out ?

Incidentally, would you care if it was European (or wherever your from) slave labour that was building (and dying) the infrastructure for the WC instead of just some expendable Indians? Or does Sepp know best there too?

Incidentally, would you care if it was European (or wherever your from) slave labour that was building (and dying) the infrastructure for the WC instead of just some expendable Indians? Or does Sepp know best there too?

Depends what country the slaves are from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I agree that the World Cup should not be hosted in Qatar for ethical issues. I just don't see how logistical ones can prevent it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

They should actually continue the domestic leagues like they do in Rugby when the 6 nations etc is on.
    Won't happen but it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Most Islamic counties have league matches on a Friday.

They should actually continue the domestic leagues like they do in Rugby when the 6 nations etc is on.
    Won't happen but it should.

Can you imagine Mourinho's complete meltdown:pac:

The only way this isn't happening is if ISIS make it to Qatar by 2022. I know all the haters would just like the tournament to rotate between Germany and England for infinity but it's the WORLD cup

greendom wrote: »
    I agree that the World Cup should not be hosted in Qatar for ethical issues. I just don't see how logistical ones can prevent it.

Its always been a summer competition. It was put out to tender as such.Qatar in their bid saying they had solutions. They got it based on these (and massive corruption) . Then once they got it said " you know what, **** it, we're not doing any of that now, move it for us" . Right there they should have been told to get ****ed.

Do we now move it every time its in a country with a WInter league?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Winter World Cup doesn't really bother me. Summer leagues manage to work about it. La Liga, Premier league etc will manage somehow, they have plenty of notice.

Plenty of reasons to object to Qatar hosting it, in terms of ethics and corruption. Having it in the winter is a slight irritation in contrast.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Do we now move it every time its in a country with a WInter league?

We move it to ensure the safety of players and the fans. There is no absolute that it has to happen in June/July, it just that up till now it always has.

Why not change it?

Leroy42 wrote: »

Why not change it?

On principal it shouldn't be changed for Qatar. If they had bid with a plan to stage it during the winter and won then that's different. Pulling a bait and switch with a big fake plan to have air conditioned stadia shouldn't be tolerated.

That's before you look at any other reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Presumably, if there was a contract signed, it would have been for the hosting of a summer tournament. Ergo, FIFA have every right to tell them to shove it.

Have Qatar actually said that they can't host it during the summer. Any quotes from Qatar I saw say that summer is still possible.

Have Qatar actually said that they can't host it during the summer. Any quotes from Qatar I saw say that summer is still possible.

The winter word cup has to come as a compromise "agreed" by both sides or it risks rocking the corruption boat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Knowing the Ireland football team as I do, we are totally qualifying for this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Will international teams still have time for warm up matches in the run up to the World Cup?

Anyone who can operate a thermometer effectively should be capable of determining that it is impossible to host a world cup in qatar in mid summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

thelad95 wrote: »
    Presumably, if there was a contract signed, it would have been for the hosting of a summer tournament. Ergo, FIFA have every right to tell them to shove it.

Im pretty sure fifa were well aware that they would more than likely have had to move it when they were pocketing their brown envelopes and expensive watches. Was always a case of taking time to condition the world to moving it.

As others have said, the problem is the hosts, not the time of year it will be held.

Anyone who can operate a thermometer effectively should be capable of determining that it is impossible to host a world cup in qatar in mid summer.

You say this but it was also known before it was awarded to Qatar.

At the time Qatar said they had the technology to cool the stadiums. I've actually seen no quotes from Qatar saying this is not possible anymore.

retalivity wrote: »

As others have said, the problem is the hosts, not the time of year it will be held.

The time of year is an issue though.

Theres been 85 years worth of summer tournaments. The world is used to that and has arranged things around it. To throw one curveball in there is not the same.

Its not just the summer leagues that are affected either. The Brazilian league finished on 7th Dec last year. That's going to have to be moved a couple of months too.That was the first South American league I picked to check.

Pushing the European leagues has issues with the following season, which is then followed by a European championships.

All the people giving out about corruption, where was yere whining for previous world cups. You think they were all won cleanly. You think the FA werent laying on hookers for Fifa delegates as part of their failed bid? You think Germany were saints bidding for 06 or Brazil for last year? Of course you don't, difference is this time you don't like the outcome (and admit it, you don't really like Arabs, that's OK just stop trying to dress up your xenophobic feelings as principled objections)

At the time Qatar said they had the technology to cool the stadiums.
    Designed by an Irish company.

You say this but it was also known before it was awarded to Qatar.

At the time Qatar said they had the technology to cool the stadiums. I've actually seen no quotes from Qatar saying this is not possible anymore.

Of course it was, which makes giving them the tournament all the more difficult to understand.

The necessiyy for cooling the stadia would be circumvented by playing the games in winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I'm looking forward to a winter world cup.

The English FA and PL having a meltdown is amusing. You'd swear their winter fixture list was a rite of passage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement