Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qatar 2022 Mayhem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

They should actually continue the domestic leagues like they do in Rugby when the 6 nations etc is on.
    Won't happen but it should.

Aren't the irish International players contracted to the IRFU. Wouldn't this give the IRFU first choice on players concerned. This doesn't apply to the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dempsey wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to a winter world cup.

The English FA and PL having a meltdown is amusing. You'd swear their winter fixture list was a rite of passage.

How is it the English FA and PL? The other leagues operate during the time this WC will be on. A couple of weeks break over the Christmas is not the same as the whole of Nov and Dec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

thelad95 wrote: »
    Presumably, if there was a contract signed, it would have been for the hosting of a summer tournament. Ergo, FIFA have every right to tell them to shove it.

Where is the breach of contract on Qatars part? The medical examiners report, conducted by Fifa, clearly states that a summer world cup would put players at risk. Fifa were aware of this prior to awarding Qatar the WC. Qatar have repeatedly stated they are willing to host the WC in the summer. However, Fifa have decided to move it.

Fifa need to go. It is a shambles of an organisation. There is corruption in every area of life and in most if not every football organisation but this is a shambles. Rearranging leagues just so a few people can have a few extra quid in their pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Its always been a summer competition. It was put out to tender as such.Qatar in their bid saying they had solutions. They got it based on these (and massive corruption) . Then once they got it said " you know what, **** it, we're not doing any of that now, move it for us" . Right there they should have been told to get ****ed.

Do we now move it every time its in a country with a WInter league?

When there are good common sense reasons why the tournament should be moved, yes.

I'm unhappy that this wasn't declared from the outset too btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

How is it the English FA and PL? The other leagues operate during the time this WC will be on. A couple of weeks break over the Christmas is not the same as the whole of Nov and Dec.

The other leagues will get on with it while Scudamore etc will cry about the injustice of it all. How many EPL games and how many say Bundesliga matches affected?

Perfect opportunity to scrap the league cup tbh

The other leagues will get on with it while Scudamore etc will cry about the injustice of it all. How many EPL games and how many say Bundesliga matches affected?

There are 7 rounds of Bundesliga matches in Nov and Dec this season.
    Theres also the CL and EL.

Assuming the World Cup isn't going to be over Christmas, a very similar number of English games will be affected.

Then you've got things like FIFA's own world club cup.

Going outside Europe, the African Nations was ignored when mentioned before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yep, all the other leagues are just fine with it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22629732

There are 7 rounds of Bundesliga matches in Nov and Dec this season. As well as cup games.
    Theres also the CL and EL.

Assuming the World Cup isn't going to be over Christmas, a very similar number of English games will be affected.

More English games will be affected. They consider their Christmas schedule sacrosanct

It's probably easier for the European leagues that have winter breaks as they could move them and incorporate them as part of the break for the World Cup. Players will need to be given at least 4 weeks break before the World Cup starts though and perhaps the same once it has finished. Looking at something like a 3 month break altogether. But leagues can prepare 3 or 4 years before by starting seasons a week or 2 earlier each year, gradually adjusting the timetable to allow the full break needed during the World Cup period.

• Advertisement

More English games will be affected. They consider their Christmas schedule sacrosanct
    Your getting very close to diverting now.

Why would they need to alter the Christmas schedule if the WC isn't on over Christmas?

Yep, all the other leagues are just fine with it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22629732

Idle speculation if you read what he said. What are the leagues saying today as opposed to last year?

Your getting very close to diverting now.

Why would they need to alter the Christmas schedule if the WC isn't on over Christmas?
    The Christmas schedule won't be played. Do you think it will??

The Christmas schedule won't be played. Do you think it will??

Don't know, it entirely depends on when the WC is on.

Your dislike for the PL aside, what about the other competitions?

Idle speculation if you read what he said. What are the leagues saying today as opposed to last year?
    Oh so it's ok to drag up anything from the Premier League but once I mention the Bundesliga, it's "idle speculation" and I need to get something from today, even though you haven't done that either.

Your agenda is see-through here.

Don't know, it entirely depends on when the WC is on.

Your dislike for the PL aside, what about the other competitions?

The final is proposed for the 23rd Dec. Clubs to continue fixtures from stephen's day as normal? Hmmm, I doubt it but the PL Is pig headed about fixtures I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Oh so it's ok to drag up anything from the Premier League but once I mention the Bundesliga, it's "idle speculation" and I need to get something from today, even though you haven't done that either.

Your agenda is see-through here.

In fairness the BBC (and newspapers) paraphrased and twisted what he said for their own agenda in that interview to make it look absolutely incendiary. With the classic 'headline that wasn't actually said'.

Actual interview here.
    http://www.worldsoccer.com/features/face-to-face-christian-seifert-340757

In fairness the BBC (and newspapers) paraphrased and twisted what he said for their own agenda in that interview to make it look absolutely incendiary. With the classic 'headline that wasn't actually said'.

Actual interview here.
    http://www.worldsoccer.com/features/face-to-face-christian-seifert-340757
    True, that is a bit calmer, but looking at the quotes he still thinks it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'm looking forward to a winter world cup.

The English FA and PL having a meltdown is amusing. You'd swear their winter fixture list was a rite of passage.

Well since English league football has been going for well over 100 years they have some rites.

I do like the idea of winter WC , but Blatters hatred of all things English is also amusing, awarding WC to Qatar, was strange to put it mildly , actually farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Isn't this just what FIFA want people arguing over though..whether it's a summer or winter WC?

It shouldn't be in Qatar in the first place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I look forward to the Anartartica 2034 World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think it's only a matter of time before there is a rebellion against FIFA. For me, it would take nearly all the regional confederations declaring themselves independent from FIFA and refusing to take part in a World Cup. It's something that could even happen in time for Qatar.

As long as it's not in the Winter! And with your headgear, you'll be fine anyway !

Next two world cups are a mess for fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

rarnes1 wrote: »

Not for Blatter , I'm sure his pockets got nicely lined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah, if Vlad keeps on trying to start WW3, the Russian WC will definitely be in jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Vatican City FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well, for fans that don't live near where are to be held.

For the millions of people that live in those countries I would hazard a guess that they are going to be a lot simplier than having them elsewhere!

Leroy42 wrote: »

For the millions of people that live in those countries I would hazard a guess that they are going to be a lot simplier than having them elsewhere!

Russia is big enough to be a bloody continent. For quite a lot of Russians it would probably be better if it were in one smaller country nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Vatican City FTW.

Only if the pope gets to referee the final.
    Maradonna will present the trophy to the finalists. The winners all get freedom of the Kingdom of Heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Russia is big enough to be a bloody continent. For quite a lot of Russians it would probably be better if it were in one smaller country nearby.

The Russian venues are probably clustered closer together than they were in Brazil.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »

Millions? 90% of Qatars 2 million people are foreign workers, a lot of whom are being worked to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

So is the USA, what's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Really annoyed that it looks like this is going ahead no matter what. Looks like there's no absolutely chance of stopping the Russian WC either, one id hope even more strongly wouldnt go ahead. It's the type of period where people will look back in 100 years and say 'how was humankind so stupid'

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Really annoyed that it looks like this is going ahead no matter what. Looks like there's no absolutely chance of stopping the Russian WC either, one id hope even more strongly wouldnt go ahead. It's the type of period where people will look back in 100 years and say 'how was humankind so stupid'

No they will look back and say they were 2 of the best world cups ever, especially 2022 as the players were not ground down from playing a full season with their club.
    they will also say thank God Fifa had a forward thinking president who did not not fear change And who put the world into world cup by bringing it to many new continents instead of cycling it between south American and Europe for eternity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

greendom wrote: »
    It's probably easier for the European leagues that have winter breaks as they could move them and incorporate them as part of the break for the World Cup. Players will need to be given at least 4 weeks break before the World Cup starts though and perhaps the same once it has finished. Looking at something like a 3 month break altogether. But leagues can prepare 3 or 4 years before by starting seasons a week or 2 earlier each year, gradually adjusting the timetable to allow the full break needed during the World Cup period.

Outside of Germany winter breaks are only 1 or 2 weeks. This will be a 6-7 week tournament plus pre and post WC break for players. None can accommodate a 3 month break. And remember that there will be a European championship in 2020 and 2024 so that limits how early the 2020-21 season starts and how late the 2023-24 season finishes.

Quite simply this throws the decades old world football schedule out the window to suit the corruption that is FIFA.

LaGlisse wrote: »
    No they will look back and say they were 2 of the best world cups ever, especially 2022 as the players were not ground down from playing a full season with their club.
    they will also say thank God Fifa had a forward thinking president who did not not fear change And who put the world into world cup by bringing it to many new continents instead of cycling it between south American and Europe for eternity.

Japan, Korea, Australia and the USA were the other options for 2022. None you'll notice are in Europe or South America.
    Also none of them are the same size as Cork and Kerry combined. Can you imagine some one suggesting we stage the world cup in these two counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

South American countries have to chop their seasons up to accomodate world cups, get over it. It's a one off.

That said, there is no way the event should have been awarded to any country which supports indentured slavery, homophobia and suppression of women's rights.

It's fairly pathetic that some people will turn a blind eye to that.

Japan, Korea, Australia and the USA were the other options for 2022. None you'll notice are in Europe or South America.
    Also none of them are the same size as Cork and Kerry combined. Can you imagine some one suggesting we stage the world cup in these two counties?

I remember loads of cribbing about USA and Japan/Korea the 1st time they were awarded Wc. Sepp had the vision then,and he still has it.
    I'd have no problem with Cork/kerry hosting if they had the oil revenues to be able to afford it.
    From a financial standpoint Qatar are one of the best placed countries in the world to be able to afford this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The 2018 WC is in a country which oppressed large parts of Eastern Europe for over 40 years after the war. Threw workers into labour camps and worked them to literally death, took peoples civil liberties away and killed dissidents. The crimes committed were equal to that of the Nazi's yet went on for decades. Unlike Germany, theyve shown little remorse either financially or morally. Indeed theyve decided to exert their power again only recently engaging Ukraine into war solely for their own greedy reasons.

The country is a corrupt pit, with politicians winging their way into power by promising business men state owned goods and lands. I think only the most niave believe corruption wasnt at play in their bid, the difference with Qatar being their experience in playing this game and deflecting the media storm. Then we move on to the fans, who have a horrible racist element and a history of hooliganism in recent times. I cant for the life of me see why anyone would think that horrible cesspool of hate, bigotry and corruption deserves to stage the biggest event in the world. Enough has been said about the other WC for everyone to know why it was another horrible decision.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The Russian venues are probably clustered closer together than they were in Brazil.

That's not much use to the Russians that live twice as far from Moscow as I do.

Kaliningrad has Lithuania and either Belarus or Latvia (depending on where in Russia you're coming from) Between it and the Russian border.

The most eastern city , Yekaterinburg , is 6,000km from eastern Russia.

Theres 2,000 km between St. Petersburg and Sochi.

I remember loads of cribbing about USA and Japan/Korea the 1st time they were awarded Wc. Sepp had the vision then,and he still has it.
    I'd have no problem with Cork/kerry hosting if they had the oil revenues to be able to afford it.
    From a financial standpoint Qatar are one of the best placed countries in the world to be able to afford this

So you have no trouble with the indentured slavery, homophobia and suppression of women's rights?

And your hero Sepp only became FIFA president in 1998. After USA 94 was over and after Japan/Korea had been awarded 2002.

Kaliningrad has Lithuania and either Belarus or Latvia (depending on where in Russia you're coming from) Between it and the Russian border.

And what about those poor Falkland Islanders when the tournament is held in England?

So is the USA, what's your point?

That the argument that the WC is convenient to all Russians but not us is not true. I thought that was quite clear from my post and the one I quoted. :confused:

No they will look back and say they were 2 of the best world cups ever, especially 2022 as the players were not ground down from playing a full season with their club..
    Who wont? The Premier league players that you said you don't care about anyway wont be, but all the players in Summer leagues will.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    The 2018 WC is in a country which oppressed large parts of Eastern Europe for over 40 years after the war. Threw workers into labour camps and worked them to literally death, took peoples civil liberties away and killed dissidents. The crimes committed were equal to that of the Nazi's yet went on for decades. Unlike Germany, theyve shown little remorse either financially or morally. Indeed theyve decided to exert their power again only recently engaging Ukraine into war solely for their own greedy reasons.

The country is a corrupt pit, with politicians winging their way into power by promising business men state owned goods and lands. I think only the most niave believe corruption wasnt at play in their bid, the difference with Qatar being their experience in playing this game and deflecting the media storm. Then we move on to the fans, who have a horrible racist element and a history of hooliganism in recent times. I cant for the life of me see why anyone would think that horrible cesspool of hate, bigotry and corruption deserves to stage the biggest event in the world. Enough has been said about the other WC for everyone to know why it was another horrible decision.

The 1994 world cup was held in the only country to drop an atomic bomb on a civilian city.They had a bid in for 2022 while at the same time spying on everyone on the planet
    The 2006 world cup was held in a country who exterminated 6 million jews.
    Whataboutery

• Advertisement

Apart from when it was in Asia and North America in recent memory you mean?

And what of Africa? Have they not got a richer football history than Qatar?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

Theres 2,000 km between St. Petersburg and Sochi.

Alaska has Canada between it and the US border

Hawaii is 4,000 km from the western US

There's 4,000 km between New York and Los Angeles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The 1994 world cup was held in the only country to drop an atomic bomb on a civilian city.They had a bid in for 2022 while at the same time spying on everyone on the planet
    The 2006 world cup was held in a country who exterminated 6 million jews.
    Whataboutery
    You should change your username to Devil's Advocate or antichrist or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The WC will be moved to December to suit. FIFA took the money on offer and are happy to ignore the issues with both Qatar and Russia in the name of Football. Is that any different from the IOC given the Olympics to China?

Regardless, the only way for us, and the country to voice our dissatisfaction with the whole FIFA mess is to drop out of football.

How many on here, correctly pointing out the terrible issues with both Qatar and Russia, will be happy to see Ireland remove itself from international football until these decision are overturned?

How many will be prepared to have Ireland boycott the next European champs on the basis that UEFA have tacitly accepted FIFA governence?

Once people keep paying to watch the 'beautiful' game FIFA really don't care.

DaveyCakes wrote: »
    Alaska has Canada between it and the US border

Hawaii is 4,000 km from the western US

There's 4,000 km between New York and Los Angeles

You realise this was a discussion specifically about Russia , answering a post that said having it there was convenient to the Russians? The Falklands, the US or anywhere else wasn't involved in the conversation and aren't relevant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement