Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qatar 2022 Mayhem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Have you read the thread?

Yes and the problems people are citing are spurious. It will be a great world cup, people need to get over the fact it wont be like their childhood and theyll have to buy their panini sticker albums in October instead of May, the poor lambs.
    Things change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

It seems the Qatar folk have started a stealth media campaign by employing posters on message boards to put a positive spin on this shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

endabob1 wrote: »
    Are you implying that the South African World Cup was poorly attended?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_records#Total_and_average_attendance

5th best average of 20 world cups and much higher than Japan & Korea which I think would be the most comparable in terms of distance from the main (European & South American) Markets

I definitly remember a lot being made about empty seats for a lot of group games that didn't involve African teams in certain stadiums. Something to do with the rugby strongholds not having the same imterest as other parts of the country.

However, yeah the figures do seem to suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I was there, and while there were empty seats the games were sell outs, a lot of corporates, didn't turn up until the knock stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Would FIFA not get sued by Qatar for all the billions spent on stadiums etc, if the tournament gets switched elsewhere ?

greendom wrote: »
    Would FIFA not get sued by Qatar for all the billions spent on stadiums etc, if the tournament gets switched elsewhere ?

It's not being moved, end of. There's a large amount of people in the west who haven't grasped that reality yet, but they will get there eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yea they would, but as I said everything is negotiable.

This is going to be a disaster, not because of the winter\summer argument but because there are no enough people in Qatar and there will not be enough visitors to make this a viable event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yea they would, but as I said everything is negotiable.

This is going to be a disaster, not because of the winter\summer argument but because there are no enough people in Qatar and there will not be enough visitors to make this a viable event.

PPV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They can pay them off with their own bribes.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Yes and the problems people are citing are spurious. It will be a great world cup, people need to get over the fact it wont be like their childhood and theyll have to buy their panini sticker albums in October instead of May, the poor lambs.
    Things change.

Blatant corruption, slave labor and a tournament that will interrupt pretty much every major European league as well as the champions league are spurious reasons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Things change.

Maybe a great world cup but it will be at the detriment of the top European leagues. Ya know the leagues in which the top players in the this tournament play week in week out :rolleyes:

Blatant corruption, slave labor and a tournament that will interrupt pretty much every major European league as well as the champions league are spurious reasons?

As well as flying in the face of pretty much all the guidelines FIFA liked to go on about regarding where tournaments should be hosted (spread of cities, legacy etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

But look, apart from the corruption, slave labour, the interuption to every top league and the total contradiction of every previous FIFA guideline for host country selection, the only problems are spurious ones.

But look, apart from the corruption, slave labour, the interuption to every top league and the total contradiction of every previous FIFA guideline for host country selection, the only problems are spurious ones.

And don't forget racism. Ours, not theirs.

Everyone posting on this thread from a tablet or smartphone has benefited from slave labor. Bribes have prob figured in deciding the venue for decades.Get off your high horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Despite the complete and utter shambles this is, the thought of a Christmas World Cup makes me feel kind of warm and giddy inside. I think the whole time of year thing is being blown out of proportion anyway. Leagues will be able to adjust, they're being given plenty of notice for Christ sake.

Also, I'm generally not one to defend Blatter but it wasn't actually him who chose Qatar and that should be remembered.

A lot of people are bandying about the word 'corruption' as well without any actual evidence that bribes were made, not just on this site but in the media as well.

And as some people have pointed out, it is mainly the English media who are driving this bandwagon. Isn't it an amazing coincidence that Qatar was chosen instead of them?

Look, I agree that Qatar was a completely unfeasible option for the World Cup but it's not going to be moved so why don't people just accept it and move on?

rob316 wrote: »
    Maybe a great world cup but it will be at the detriment of the top European leagues. Ya know the leagues in which the top players in the this tournament play week in week out :rolleyes:

My heart bleeds for them.doesn't affect our national league anyway as it doesn't run in the winter months, should help attendances. FAI should be happy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Everyone posting on this thread from a tablet or smartphone has benefited from slave labor. Bribes have prob figured in deciding the venue for decades.Get off your high horse.

Are you justifying slave labour?

Loughc wrote: »
    Are you justifying slave labour?

No I'm just saying it hypocrisy to pick and choose where to make a stand on it. Ditch your smartphone then come back to lecture me about Qatar

thelad95 wrote: »
    A lot of people are bandying about the word 'corruption' as well without any actual evidence that bribes were made, not just on this site but in the media as well.
    Gee, I wonder why?
    Look, I agree that Qatar was a completely unfeasible option for the World Cup
    Oh, now I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No I'm just saying it hypocrisy to pick and choose where to make a stand on it. Ditch your smartphone then come back to lecture me about Qatar
    The reason the stand is being made here is that people have seen the past and are more aware nowadays of what goes on. This is the reason for the stand. Most people didn't have a clue about this stuff years ago. When South Africa was chose people wouldn't have had anything close to the amount of knowledge they have nowadays.

Do you have a smartphone or tablet? If so, have you tracked the origin of it? Was there slave labour involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Gee, I wonder why?

Oh, now I remember.

You could also argue the following were unfeasible:

Brazil: Woeful poverty in most cities, crumbling stadia, incredibly high potential of riots during tournament as happened in the previous years Confed Cup

South Africa: High crime rate in most host cities putting fans at risk, stadiums chosen at ridiculous altitudes.

Japan/South Korea: Woeful stadia, two countries that had been teetering close to war for decades and a massive shortage of infrastructure.

Isn't it interesting that two bidding countries (England and Australia) which pretty much had all the infrastructure in place already were overlooked?

eagle eye wrote: »
    The reason the stand is being made here is that people have seen the past and are more aware nowadays of what goes on. This is the reason for the stand. Most people didn't have a clue about this stuff years ago. When South Africa was chose people wouldn't have had anything close to the amount of knowledge they have nowadays.

Do you have a smartphone or tablet? If so, have you tracked the origin of it? Was there slave labour involved?

Not bothered, it's a great phone. Nothing great gets done without slaves, who do you think built the pyramids? Qatar is going to be a feast of football

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Not bothered, it's a great phone. Nothing great gets done without slaves, who do you think built the pyramids? Qatar is going to be a feast of football

Again are you not just trying to justify slavery?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I'm not sure the slaves who had their backs broken and suffered horribly building the pyramids would agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Unless you have proof you cannot come out and say that slaves built everybody's smartphones.

And this constant almost glorification of slavery is wrong.

If you want to state facts please back them up.

You could argue a lot of countries were unfeasible, not hard to do that.

Whats a lot harder is to plausibly argue a reason why Qatar is a feasible choice!

I can posit good reasons why Brazil or South Africa could host a world cup, the reasons for Qatar are rather less obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And as some people have pointed out, it is mainly the English media who are driving this bandwagon. Isn't it an amazing coincidence that Qatar was chosen instead of them?

England were bidding for 2018 WC not 2022 though a lot of people don't seem to understand it.

Also the English FA were more than complicit in trying to bribe Jack Warner. Something their media tends to forget about while focusing on Qatar and FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Are you Sepp Blatter in disguise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Brazil: Woeful poverty in most cities, crumbling stadia, incredibly high potential of riots during tournament as happened in the previous years Confed Cup

South Africa: High crime rate in most host cities putting fans at risk, stadiums chosen at ridiculous altitudes.

Japan/South Korea: Woeful stadia, two countries that had been teetering close to war for decades and a massive shortage of infrastructure.

Isn't it interesting that two bidding countries (England and Australia) which pretty much had all the infrastructure in place already were overlooked?

Seriously ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

No slaves build the pyramids - they were built in the off-season by farmers and they were paid

Hyzepher wrote: »
    No slaves build the pyramids - they were built in the off-season by farmers and they were paid

Show me their payslips

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

The smart phones example is inappropriate.

Go away and try and work out what indentured slavery actually means, it's not the same as exploiting chinese peasants. Some companies have been found to use unscrupulous employers and have taken steps (arguably not enough) to try and change that. Not the same as indentured slavery, despite the tabloid attempts to make it so.

This isn't about the English FA either, it's cheap rabble rousing to make it about them.

The core issue, always ignored, is the unsuitability of Qatar as a venue for the reasons outlined many times in the thread. Attacking straw men doesnt change that.

I have no issue with Russia on the basis of their foreign policy, two sides to every story. However, I would be concerned that it sends out a poor message to combat racism and homophobia in the game given their recent poor track record in those areas. These things matter in football, or they don't. Up to the FIFA to decide.

Right I'm going to bow out now as this is going round in circles. Hope to meet some ye in 7 years for pre Christmas drinks in the Irish harp in Doha and we can sup some pints and laugh about how people in 2015 thought it was a bad idea to award the world cup to one of the most powerful countries in the world (Russia) and one of the richest and most progressive countries in the middle east (Qatar) . We'll all have a good laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Right I'm going to bow out now as this is going round in circles. Hope to meet some ye in 7 years for pre Christmas drinks in the Irish harp in Doha and we can sup some pints and laugh about how people in 2015 thought it was a bad idea to award the world cup to one of the most powerful countries in the world (Russia) and one of the richest and most progressive countries in the middle east (Qatar) . We'll all have a good laugh

Having a good laugh at this already thanks. I'll skip the pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Good luck to any of the top African players. Will have a full season, a WC and African Nations Cup, and can imagine the club's fury if they start getting taken away at the end of the season when the league is coming to a close, CL final etc. If FIFA want to have the WC in November and December and then an African Nations Cup in June, leagues and clubs should revolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

?

I was only in two of the stadiums so can't comment on that (Although Daegu and Seoul stadiums seemed ok to me). However, Japan and Korea haven't come anywhere close to war with one another since 1945. Although the Koreans hate the Japanese, they don't want to fight with them. Also, shortage of infrastructure? You've having a laugh, Japan and Korea have fantastic infrastructure, much better than any other nations I have been in.

Also, I'm generally not one to defend Blatter but it wasn't actually him who chose Qatar and that should be remembered.

The main mentions of blatter have come from leglisse who has proclaimed the man a visionary genius for bringing it to Qatar.

Seems it works both ways as he also gives him credit for the ones he wasn't top man for.

The main mentions of blatter have come from leglisse who has proclaimed the man a visionary genius for bringing it to Qatar.

Seems it works both ways as he also gives him credit for the ones he wasn't too man for.

Actually I've changed my mind I now accept that the Qataris are scum and a it Australia should have got it, slavery is bad.Blatter is a ballsack
    the British are still laughably deluded scum with a paedophile infested establishment in power though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

What if the leagues like EPL/La Liga/Bundesliga/Serie A/Ligue 1/etc tell FIFA, no thanks, F-U with your winter world cup? They could say that it's not worth the disruption and probable financial loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

FatherTed wrote: »
    What if the leagues like EPL/La Liga/Bundesliga/Serie A/Ligue 1/etc tell FIFA, no thanks, F-U with your winter world cup? They could say that it's not worth the disruption and probable financial loss.

They can't, simple as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Dempsey wrote: »
    They can't, simple as

They could, but there'd be a serious amount of fallout, and unless UEFA sanctioned it, they'd lose their european places, as well as their world cup and euro championships places. and their players would probably be banned from international football.

but they technically could do it

COYVB wrote: »
    They could, but there'd be a serious amount of fallout, and unless UEFA sanctioned it, they'd lose their european places, as well as their world cup and euro championships places. and their players would probably be banned from international football.

Technically? How could uefa sanction it?

In reality it's not going to happen. The legal dogfight would cost multiples more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

UEFA report to FIFA, it cannot happen

How could uefa sanction it?

By splitting from FIFA

• Advertisement

By splitting from FIFA

Splitting can't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Lets say for arguments sake that UEFA told FIFA to take a run and jump and had the backing of European Countries.

Are the players outside europe not allowed to represent their country for qualifying or tournament play?

Are Clubs authorized to overrule a player being called up by their country?

Where does that leave the tournament?
    almost 45% of the players in the last world cup played their football in Europe !!

Basically no competitive Internationals for 2 years

Splitting can't happen.

Why not?

Clubs are not authorised to overrule fifa on player release

They can go through a process of why he shouldn't be released that satisfies fifa criteria

Why not?

FIFA are the parent company

• Advertisement
Advertisement