Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qatar 2022 Mayhem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The clubs may want it but what player is going to want to miss out on the chance of going to a WC?

And what about the South American and other non-European (in the sense of UEFA) born players. By signed for a UEFA club are they then no longer allowed play in FIFA comps? Or do they keep dual registration?

Will UEFA clubs, now no longer part of FIFA, allow FIFA reg players go to FIFA comps?

The only reason why FIFA remain in charge is the WC, they own the big ticket item and all the others need to stay in line.

Do you think for a second that FAI have any intention of ever stepping away from FIFA?

The players that will gladly miss the WC will be the ones that don't wanna lose their weekly pay cheques from their clubs who back any breakaway.

As for the FAI, they'll go along with whatever the most of UEFA decide to do. Delaney will mumble "football family" a lot and try to sound like he knows what he's talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Dempsey wrote: »
    If uefa leave with the FA 's , fifa still hold all player registrations. Penny dropping yet?

Q: What do FIFA hold registrations for?

A:
    Player's rights to play in FIFA sanctioned tournaments

Q: What do players not need to play outside FIFA?

A:
    Rights to play in FIFA sanctioned tournaments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

And the clubs just register all their players with UEFA. It would perhaps be one of the easier sorted issues relating to a breakaway.

All FIFA could do is say those players can't play in FIFA competitions, but in a breakaway thats exactly what they want stop doing anyway.

On this point, if people decided that they would switch registrations from FIFA to UEFA that would mean that no player is registered to a club.

You would have a few thousand bosman transfers for the first year. I cant see clubs wanting to go through that chaos either.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I say we make our own World Cup. With blackjack and hookers.

Actually, forget about the World Cup!!!!

On this point, if people decided that they would switch registrations from FIFA to UEFA that would mean that no player is registered to a club.

I'm sure UEFA could step in and create UEFA registration, which would register every player with them for the duration of the remainder of their contracts at their existing clubs. There wouldn't need to be any disruption or anything. Got a 2 year contract at your club recognised under FIFA? UEFA will now mirror that registration instead.

However, players may not be under any legal obligation to accept the change in registration since it wouldn't be a case of FIFA being taken over by another body that had taken control of registrations, but rather a whole new registration separate to the contract which they had initially agreed to, which WOULD create an almighty mess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You would have a few thousand bosman transfers for the first year. I cant see clubs wanting to go through that chaos either.

I am open to correction, but are players not contracted to their clubs?

The clubs need to register their players for the competitions they wish to play in, but that is separate to the issue of ownership.

Just because a player is no longer eligible for FIFA competitions does not mean they can just walk away from their contracts with their clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I am open to correction, but are players not contracted to their clubs?

The clubs need to register their players for the competitions they wish to play in, but that is separate to the issue of ownership.

Just because a player is no longer eligible for FIFA competitions does not mean they can just walk away from their contracts with their clubs?

I dont know. My post was more a question. I am sure the contracts reference FIFA due to the registration being owned by FIFA. And players must be released for international tournaments. If this did go ahead it would be interesting to see what would happen with tournaments outside UEFA control, such as the ACN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Registrations to what? If UEFA planned a 2020 break-away I doubt there are any contracts in place that far ahead.

UEFA would just start taking registrations themselves
    And the clubs just register all their players with UEFA. It would perhaps be one of the easier sorted issues relating to a breakaway.

All FIFA could do is say those players can't play in FIFA competitions, but in a breakaway thats exactly what they want stop doing anyway.

Player Evaluations would go through the floor and bye bye representing your country. Probably a small sacrifice for some but the players unions in Europe would bring the game to a halt

Dempsey wrote: »
    Player Evaluations would go through the floor and bye bye representing your country. Probably a small sacrifice for some but the players unions in Europe would bring the game to a halt

If faced with the choice of massive wages or international football, I think the majority of players would follow the money. Also worth noting that the majority of professional footballers aren't current internationals, so they'd massively outnumber those who are in any union votes.

If I put my cynic's hat on, this is prime time for uefa to roll out a breakaway league idea again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

UEFA won't do anything unless the national FAs want it to. The big-money FAs are the ones unhappy about this WC, the small ones (especially those with summer soccer...) either don't care or stand to gain from this WC (no doubt FIFA will dangle a few million here and there to sweeten the deal, a lot of money for a small FA) and they all get one vote each.

What the European FAs should do is say 'Shag this for a game of soldiers, we're not entering, and we'll have another Euros in June 2022', but they won't.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

FIFA playing bully boys on this. Interesting to see if UEFA can or have the balls to stand up to them

Even that meeting on wednesday, not sure where it was held but FIFA brings in all the Executives from each confederation from 1 hour meeting. Tells them the WC is in Nov/Dec, no questions, no explanation, no apology. Bully tactics or what. Wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of revolt. UEFA getting no say at all for disruption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

syngindub wrote: »
    ,FIFA playing bully boys on this. Interesting to see if UEFA can or have the balls to stand up to them

Even that meeting on wednesday, not sure where it was held but FIFA brings in all the Executives from each confederation from 1 hour meeting. Tells them the WC is in Nov/Dec, no questions, no explanation, no apology. Bully tactics or what. Wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of revolt. UEFA getting no say at all for disruption

You do realize that the head of UEFA voted for a Qatar WC.

The head of FIFA did not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

You do realize that the head of UEFA voted for a Qatar WC.

The head of FIFA did not.

I realise he voted for a summer tournament alright

syngindub wrote: »
    I realise he voted for a summer tournament alright

Like anyone thought realistically that that could happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Blatter not voting for it is a red herring, he wanted Qatar more than anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Blatter not voting for it is a red herring, he wanted Qatar more than anybody.

Have you any quote or evidence to back this up?

There seems to be a big groupthink bandwagon blaming Blatter when he wasn't actually involved in the voting process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Nope I have no evidence. Its just my opinion. An opinion that I would bet my left testicle is probably true.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

2022 Final announced as 18/12/2022

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31975274

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Deadly tbf!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Players are going to be wrecked that season and the one after if they have the final then and expect PL games to start the week after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

The World Cup being played in winter doesn't bother me in of itself. It's FIFA's shifting of the goalposts regarding their own rules of eligibility to host the tournament to shoehorn Qatar 2022 that bothers me greatly.

I'm at a stage in my life where I can make plans and save money to make a trip to see a World Cup in 2022, which is something I've always wanted to do. However as it stands, I have zero interest setting foot in Qatar, unless they make some radical changes to certain policies.

Boo-hoo you might say, get over it and you'd be right if the bid was won fair and transparently. But this blatantly isn't the case here. The governing bodies have jumped through hoops to stage the World Cup in Qatar, have broken precedent by having a country with less than 8 existing cities, and now are announcing that the World Cup will be played in December. The awarding of the World Cup to Qatar stinks to high heaven, and I still can't fathom how a country smaller than Leinster can host a World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

He speaks the truth. This 2022 WC is a joke.

El Risitas (The Giggler) is the new Downfall meme. He's actually talking about paella pans. But the subtitles are spot on in this case...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

"New".

Tell me about this new nyan cat and doge meme! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

If a tiny country with no stadiums can host a World Cup, we should have got the Euros that time we bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If a tiny country with no stadiums and a shed load of cash can host a World Cup, we shouldn't have gotten the Euros that time we bid because we have no money.

FYP

Kirby wrote: »
    "New".

Tell me about this new nyan cat and doge meme! :p

It's inspired by the Downfall meme and is newer than it, so yes it's 'the new Downfall'

Mr. Smartypants :p

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The fun continues in Qatar...
    Tens of thousands of workers on the 2022 football World Cup in Qatar cannot get home to see their families and attend funerals in the wake of last month’s Nepal earthquake.

Qatar’s strict worker rules, known as kafala, mean that many of the 400,000 Nepalese workers in the country have their passports taken by employers and find it difficult to get permission to go home.

The international campaign group Avaaz has written to Qatari authorities demanding compassionate leave for workers with families affected by the earthquake; it has yet to receive a response.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/qatars-workers-cant-attend-family-funerals-in-nepal-10230805.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

FatherTed wrote: »

So in a way World Cup 2022 stadiums are being built by slaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

So in a way World Cup 2022 stadiums are being built by slaves

Has always been that way.

Said this before, but every FA, every international player, every TV station, every sponsor, every travelling fan, every viewer, should boycott this farce.

Won't, but should....

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A boycott would work.

Lots of whining won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

ESPN E:60 on Qatar WC and FIFA corruption that aired a few days ago - http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/35vgek/espn_released_the_e60_on_sepp_blatter_and_fifa/cr8bnne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Said this before, but every FA, every international player, every TV station, every sponsor, every travelling fan, every viewer, should boycott this farce.

Won't, but should....

Would love to see a few big players publicly stating that they won't play in it. But I can't picture it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Cienciano wrote: »
    Would love to see a few big players publicly stating that they won't play in it. But I can't picture it.

No one did it in 1978 when there was a military dictatorship in Argentina that had 'disappeared' people.

Won't happen in Qatar either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

No one did it in 1978 when there was a military dictatorship in Argentina that had 'disappeared' people.

Won't happen in Qatar either.

FIFA made a rule that means no political ****e.

Im sure the Ukraines qualifying for Russia 2018 would be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

http://www.qatarexposed.org/
    The tragedy of 1.7 million migrant workers trapped in Qatar is a global scandal. Foreign workers are enslaved – owned by employers who hold the power of recruitment, total control over wages and conditions of employment and the ability to refuse a change of employment or an exit visa to leave the country. This is known as the kafala system. When FIFA awarded Qatar the 2022 World Cup, many expected it to trigger positive social change in Qatar, including improving the labour rights and conditions of migrant workers. Despite promises to reform, Qatar has not changed its ways.
    Instead, 1993 workers from just two countries – Nepal and India - have died since Qatar was awarded the World Cup in 2010 and infrastructure was ramped up.
    The ITUC estimates more than 7000 migrant workers could die before a ball is kicked in the 2022 World Cup.
    Since 2010, the ITUC has been documenting the conditions of workers in Qatar and taking up cases of individuals trapped in Qatar with the government and employers.
    This multimedia work consists of footage filmed in Qatar, Nepal and France. We are invited to hear from footballers, construction workers and domestic workers and explore the stories, sights and sounds from the labour camps of Doha to the villages of rural Nepal. Listen as the ITUC confronts an employer who has left a dozen workers stranded without a salary or way to get home and watch the Paris homecoming of footballer Zahir Belounis.
    Qatar Exposed is an interactive investigation, that shows real facts that are being hidden from the world by a secretive state and its million dollar PR machine, the consequences of the kafala system on the lives of workers and their families and builds the global attention needed to end slavery in Qatar.
    Translated into French, Spanish and English, it aims to give access to the world of Qatar’s labour camps and tells the stories of survivors who have returned home to Nepal and those who didn’t.

This should be all over the news IMO. Countries should boycott and the entire world cup in Qatar should be scrapped.

Abhorrent behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just more reason to boycott this: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36516006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

The gross irony of having a slavery museum that 'aims to address modern exploitation', sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Watching the Ireland match while having a twitter discussion with a person from and based in Qatar.

Some quotes:
    Qatar is the paradise for the world, and we will host the world cup if you like it or not.
    I replied - hopefully we fail to qualify.

About the slave labour: This talk is nonsense and not true, do you realize what you say?
    All employees in Qatar living in luxury and enjoying their work, and I to the topic looked positive

About the slave labour:
    'false news, all of our oil that we have,' with a thumbs up and wink eye smilie.

I posted links to newspapers and what they say about Qatar the response:
    Haha these newspapers want to tarnish the image of Qatar, the population of Qatar and we know exactly what is happening.

Apparently the person is a governor in Qatar, but has an image of Qatar to maintain.

Just more reason to boycott this: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36516006

Read that alright, crazy stuff.

No one is going to go to this World Cup.

No fan or tourist from western society is going to pay hard earned money to go to this place for 3 weeks, like they would go to Japan, Europe, the US, South Africa or South America.

The local population is too small to fill the grounds and the other continents do not have the critical mass of people with enough wealth to travel to it.

It will be an unmitigated disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

No fan or tourist from western society is going to pay hard earned money to go to this place for 3 weeks, like they would go to Japan, Europe, the US, South Africa or South America.

The local population is too small to fill the grounds and the other continents do not have the critical mass of people with enough wealth to travel to it.

Don't be naive. People are too selfish to give up the chance to go to a big party to worry about slavery and human rights. If people really cared they would be boycotting UEFA and FIFA already to make the point, not just leave it till the last minute.

UEFA is part of FIFA so the first thing to do was to boycott France and then Russia to make a point but nobody is even considering that.

It may well be that financially the WC is a disaster, but then Qatar are not looking for financial return on the WC itself. They may well have to give most hotel rooms cheap, tickets for games to sponsors but people will go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Dubai and Abu Dhabi have been and are being built by slaves and they are huge tourist destinations. The cloths many people wear on their backs come from work slaves have done in India, China etc... Nobody gives a hoot it's sad yes but it's the world we live in. Qatar is a backward s h I t hole and the worst choice ever for a world cup, will it be cancelled there? No chance.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Don't be naive. People are too selfish to give up the chance to go to a big party to worry about slavery and human rights. If people really cared they would be boycotting UEFA and FIFA already to make the point, not just leave it till the last minute.

UEFA is part of FIFA so the first thing to do was to boycott France and then Russia to make a point but nobody is even considering that.

It may well be that financially the WC is a disaster, but then Qatar are not looking for financial return on the WC itself. They may well have to give most hotel rooms cheap, tickets for games to sponsors but people will go.

I'm not talking about slavery and human rights

My point is that as a destination Qatar is not very attractive
    It does not have the tourist pull of France, USA, Japan, Brazil, SA etc

People go to these events as much for a holiday as to watch soccer.

And the place will have very limited entertainment and very expensive options.

It's too far away and two expensive to get to for one game type trips that you would get in Europe and the place has nothing to keep you there for 3 weeks or so.
    Superhorse wrote: »
    Dubai and Abu Dhabi have been and are being built by slaves and they are huge tourist destinations. The cloths many people wear on their backs come from work slaves have done in India, China etc... Nobody gives a hoot it's sad yes but it's the world we live in. Qatar is a backward s h I t hole and the worst choice ever for a world cup, will it be cancelled there? No chance.

I'm not suggesting that the world cup would be cancelled or taken off them, it's looking too late for that.
    I'm suggesting that it will be a disaster from an attendance POV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Anybody reckon there will be any hooliganism there ??? I pretty much ****in doubt it.

Having said that, having fans from 32 countries in a space this small

http://www.ifitweremyhome.com/compare/IE/QA

could be an recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Qatar now being cut off from other Gulf States as they break all ties from Qatar saying it supports terrorism.

Time for FIFA to do the right thing for once.

They support terrorists, Saudi Arabia and their chums support 'freedom fighters' :rolleyes:

You can be sure of one thing, nothing Saudi Arabia does is ever motivated by human welfare.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It doesn't matter what personal agendas or motives there are for this 'cutoff', if it's true then the World Cup as to be pulled from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

There is no way it stays in Qatar now, if Saudi think you have gone to far that really says a lot

• Advertisement
Advertisement