Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qatar 2022 Mayhem

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I’d be surprised if FIFA paid any attention to the wider world and bigger things than football, they haven’t before so are unlikely to start now. The fact that the US might be best placed to take it on is the only doubt you’d have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

FIFA sponsored by QATAR Airline.

Nothing to see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Bateman wrote: »
    I?d be surprised if FIFA paid any attention to the wider world and bigger things than football, they haven?t before so are unlikely to start now. The fact that the US might be best placed to take it on is the only doubt you?d have.

Well if this escalates or drags on then it could put serious pressure on the delivery of 2022.

A wise move by FIFA now would be to pull it and blame it on politics that is out of their control, it would save them.a bit of face, not much but they could spin it.

The time for 2022 to be moved is running out, as equipped as the US, Japan or Germany would be, they still need time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Qatar now being cut off from other Gulf States as they break all ties from Qatar saying it supports terrorism.

Time for FIFA to do the right thing for once.

While I don't agree with WC22 being hosted in Qatar, this story is about oil gas, i don't see what is has to do with the World Cup and it changes nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

While I don't agree with WC22 being hosted in Qatar, this story is about oil, i don't see what is has to do with the World Cup and it changes nothing.

1. Qatar's main export is gas, not oil.
    2. This is about support for terrorism. Sure, there's a lot of "pot calling kettle black" going on and yes energy/money is no doubt a factor but the accusation is still valid and SHOULD matter!
    3. What has it to do with the WC....

From an ethical point of view...
    "FIFA is firmly committed to the principles of good governance, transparency and zero tolerance towards any wrongdoing."
    The objectives of FIFA are:
    a) to improve the game of football constantly and promote it globally in
    the light of its unifying, educational, cultural and humanitarian values,
    particularly through youth and development programmes;

This is just another instance of an ethical conflict that FIFA are ignoring. Qatar are being called out for supporting terrorism. How can FIFA continue to support that? They are literally associating their brand with acts of terrorism.

From a practical point of view, this will do more damage to attendance to the WC than the slavery stories. Slavery is far away. Terrorism is rampant on our doorstep. What is the impact to in terms of getting to the WC if the air restrictions are still in place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Bacchus wrote: »
    2. This is about support for terrorism. Sure, there's a lot of "pot calling kettle black" going on and yes energy/money is no doubt a factor but the accusation is still valid and SHOULD matter!

This is just another instance of an ethical conflict that FIFA are ignoring. Qatar are being called out for supporting terrorism. How can FIFA continue to support that? They are literally associating their brand with acts of terrorism.

From a practical point of view, this will do more damage to attendance to the WC than the slavery stories. Slavery is far away. Terrorism is rampant on our doorstep. What is the impact to in terms of getting to the WC if the air restrictions are still in place?

Not really, its more about Saudi Arabia trying to flex its muscles in the region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

It absolutely is not, its about Saudi Arabia trying to flex its muscles in the region.

You do see the rest of the sentence that you're highlighting don't you? I acknowledge that the accusation from SA is hypocritical, and yes it's a smokescreen for whatever their underlying agenda is, BUT the terrorism accusation has been made, the political landscape of the region has taken a huge shift, and in the context of FIFA and the WC this is all hugely relevant. What I'm saying here is that, for FIFA, this is about the terrorism links now.

It's the practical logistics of delivering the tournament that would be FIFAs immediate concern.

If this has an impact on Qatar's ability to build stadiums and other infrastructure, accommodate FIFA overseers, guarantee the safety of fans and officals ten they will pull the plug.

No one knows how long this will go on right now, it could be SA just flexing it's muscle as some have said, but it may be more long term, and if it is then it could have an serious impact on their ability to deliver, and the clock is ticking for a opportunity to move this.

FIFA or any other major sporting organization really don't give a hoot about human rights,nor have they done so for decades, but if their planned party is going to be spoiled they will be quick to act

Well if this escalates or drags on then it could put serious pressure on the delivery of 2022.

A wise move by FIFA now would be to pull it and blame it on politics that is out of their control, it would save them.a bit of face, not much but they could spin it.

The time for 2022 to be moved is running out, as equipped as the US, Japan or Germany would be, they still need time

Yeah but they don’t care. They don’t care about slavery, workers’ rights, or dead workers. When you say “if this drags on”, unless the venues themselves are under threat, I’d have my doubts. FIFA know the power of the global game and that this will all blow over.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Exactly if Saudi qualify will Qatar allow them into the country
    Id love to see England get it over the countries you mentioned, I thought they deserved it when they went for it last time

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Would FIFA have to compensate Qatar if they removed the 2022 WC from them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

RobertKK wrote: »
    Would FIFA have to compensate Qatar if they removed the 2022 WC from them?

That's why, IMO, Fifa will not take it from Qatar, they'd sue FIFA for hundreds of millions

scudzilla wrote: »
    That's why, IMO, Fifa will not take it from Qatar, they'd sue FIFA for hundreds of millions

I'd imagine FIFA have plenty of small print to prevent them being sued in the case of where they have to take hosting rights away, they are long enough at this to have things like that covered.

But the biggest issue is whether this will prevent Qatar from getting ready for the event.

Just reading about the place it just seems like it's a country existing on a great big gas bubble.

It's population rose from 700,000 in 2003 to 2.5m in 2016, mostly based around construction jobs.

Having things like your borders closed and your use of airspace restricted are the kind of triggers that burst bubbles.

And this looks like the bubble of all bubbles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Qatar are being called out for supporting terrorism. How can FIFA continue to support that? They are literally associating their brand with acts of terrorism.

L

O

F

L

Being called out on supporting terror. By the House of Saud. :D:D:D :D

Saudi Arabia arms IS. It is allied to rogue states such as Britain and the US. 19 of the 9-11 hijackers were Saudi citizens. Saudi Arabia is a dictatorship. Though it gets biased western media coverage which refers to the royal family and not the dictatorship. Biased western media coverage of the beheadings carried out by Saudi Arabia which when similar crimes are carried out by IS cause an outcry.

I've no sympathy for Qatar, but this whole thing is a charade. The big thing Qatar has done to piss off neighbouring countries is Al-Jazeera. Honest media bugs autocrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Zebra3 wrote: »

Being called out on supporting terror. By the House of Saud. :D:D:D :D

Saudi Arabia arms IS. It is allied to rogue states such as Britain and the US. 19 of the 9-11 hijackers were Saudi citizens. Saudi Arabia is a dictatorship. Though it gets biased western media coverage which refers to the royal family and not the dictatorship. Biased western media coverage of the beheadings carried out by Saudi Arabia which when similar crimes are carried out by IS cause an outcry.

I've no sympathy for Qatar, but this whole thing is a charade. The big thing Qatar has done to piss off neighbouring countries is Al-Jazeera. Honest media bugs autocrats.

Unfortunately this is all true. The Saudi regime is the biggest proponent of Wahabi Islam in the world but due to their massive oil reserves, a blind eye is turned in the west. This is a country that carries out official beheadings in city centers ffs. Let's remember too that they have not taken in any refugees from Afghanistan or Syria, yet have offered $200 million for refugees to build mosques in Germany.

When I heard they were calling out Qatar for supporting terrorism I thought it was a Waterford Whispers satirical piece.

Anyway, back to football - the WC should never have been given to Qatar, that's obvious. The corruption was off the scale with this one. It just remains to be seen how it all plays out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Another fine mess Sep...... can definitely see serious disruption to the tournament if it ever goes ahead there:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Are football fans willing to travel to Qatar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I don't think this will Change anything.

1st off, this will more than likely be temporary (how long is temporary is the question though!)
    2nd, nothing has actually changed. For FIFA to pull out now would raise the question as to why go in in the 1st place. Qatar hasn't committed any additional atrocities etc that would signal a pull out, the only thing is that some of the countries in the region seem to be fed up with them. (that of course is the simplistic short hand version). On what basis could FIFA legitimately claim they were justified to remove it now when previously they were unconcerned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If it does go ahead then I am hoping that Ireland do not qualify.

We should not give any legitimacy to this carry on, but I doubt we actually have the backbone to stand up for ourselves, so the best way is to simply not be invited to avoid having to make a decision. The FAI and the government I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Dear Leader will still be there, larging it up.

• Advertisement

I don't think they will.

Not because they have a moral issue with it but just because it's not a very attractive place to spend the bones of two weeks.

It will be expensive.
    Entertainment options will be limited.
    It's a small country with feck all in it.

A trip to a world cup is as much a holiday as anything else.

Places like Japan, USA, South Africa, Germany etc offer other things to do other than going​ to football matches.

Qatar will not.

Its another reason why this will be a disaster, a small population and a small traveling fan base will mean a lot of empty seats.

The grounds don’t seem like 70,000 jobs, I think they’ll manage to fill them if it goes ahead. People will travel, there is no doubt about that.

Remember they still have to get through a WC in Russia before any of this becomes really pressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If they took the World Cup off Qatar at this stage do you think they'd be willing to pay back all the brown envelope money with that decision? Because that's the question here. Executives in FIFA who voted for Qatar to get it are beholden to these people because of what they took in exchange for their vote. If they take it back, they'll spend the rest of their days looking over their shoulder.

That's conspiracy theory territory of course, and maybe I'm off base. I don't think I am however...

The grounds don?t seem like 70,000 jobs, I think they?ll manage to fill them if it goes ahead. People will travel, there is no doubt about that.

Remember they still have to get through a WC in Russia before any of this becomes really pressing.

Most are in the 45k range it seems with the biggest being 80k

They will be hard to fill

Can you see Ireland fans (much maligned as they are) visiting Qatar in the numbers that they have doe so in Japan, USA, Italy and or more recently in Poland and France ?

I can't

I absolutely 100% can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Entertainment options will be limited.
    It's a small country with feck all in it.

Its another reason why this will be a disaster, a small population and a small traveling fan base will mean a lot of empty seats.
    will there be beer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

will there be beer ?

http://kentonmurray.com/blogs/alcohol_in_qatar.html

The lowdown on Alcohol in Qatar

will there be beer ?

Not at the same levels as I'd expect in a "western" country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/11/09/alcohol-banned-from-stadiums-streets-at-2022-world-cup-in-qatar/?utm_term=.57f4ad9ae927

Alcohol is not available at stadiums even in Europe, for non corporate seats anyway, so no big deal there

But I'd imagine in Qatar it will be restricted to hotels and restaurants and will be very expensive as a result.

It's not like we are used of in Europe where there is a outlet selling alcohol of some sort in every other building.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Very interesting, and grim.

One wonders if they will relax those rules for the World Cup or will there be more purpose built outlets to go along with the 5* hotels

Lyon for the QF last summer wasn’t exactly a party city. Alcohol will be got, I wouldn’t worry about that

• Advertisement

Lyon for the QF last summer wasn’t exactly a party city.  

Really? not sure what you mean here.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lyon for the QF last summer wasn’t exactly a party city. Alcohol will be got, I wouldn’t worry about that

There's a bit of a difference between France, where there are no restrictions on alcohol sales and Qatar. You won't be walking into a supermarket and buying a slab of cans in Qatar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

One wonders if they will relax those rules for the World Cup or will there be more purpose built outlets to go along with the 5* hotels

FIFA have stated previously that there will be alcohol served in the fan zones. These will be wedged with pissheads drinking their corporate partners swill while they make tax free profits. You can be sure that supply wont be that much of an issue.

Dempsey wrote: »
    FIFA have stated previously that there will be alcohol served in the fan zones. These will be wedged with pissheads drinking their corporate partners swill while they make tax free profits. You can be sure that supply wont be that much of an issue.

There'll be the choice between Bud and Bud Light!!!!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

There'll be the choice between Bud and Bud Light!!!!

:rolleyes:

Go off down to one of Doha's hipster craft beer houses so :pac:

2 pints in 40'C heat and you wont give a fcuk what brand you are drinking for the day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I personally feel being held in a Arabic country that if they dont wish alcohol to be served that they shouldnt serve it. I think Qatar is quiet open to the western culture which makes this news that they possibly support isis a little shocking

They won't take that inflexible a view point - there will be drink.

Anyway, we don't even know who's in our qualification group yet FFS!

They won't take that inflexible a view point - there will be drink.

Anyway, we don't even know who's in our qualification group yet FFS!

I'd imagine that alcohol will be more available than it currently is, but that will still not make Qatar an attractive destination.

I was at the WC in 2002.

I was there 2 weeks and went to 5 games.

It was fantastic, I saw loads of Tokyo and Japan, one of the best holidays I was ever on.

But I can't imagine how I would spend 2 weeks in Qatar.

I just can't this world cup attracting visiting fans in the numbers other tournaments have done, not just Irish fans but fans from all over that usually travel in large numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

But I can't imagine how I would spend 2 weeks in Qatar.

I just can't this world cup attracting visiting fans in the numbers other tournaments have done, not just Irish fans but fans from all over that usually travel in large numbers.
    Plus it's a Winter World Cup. Can't see that not having an adverse affect on numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Plus it's a Winter World Cup. Can't see that not having an adverse affect on numbers.

Exactly. There's a fair difference between taking your 2 weeks summer holidays and going to a world cup and taking 2 weeks at Christmas. I can't see any way this won't be the lowest numbers at a world cup.

There's really very few countries they could have picked that would have been worse. I absolutely, wholeheartedly hope this world cup fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Is the WC 2022 Babes thread going to be a letdown?

FatherTed wrote: »
    Is the WC 2022 Babes thread going to be a letdown?

Oh, go on, somebody post a picture of a girl with a veil on her. For the bantz.

OK, but only for the bantz

qatariwomen.jpg?w=480

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

OK, but only for the bantz

qatariwomen.jpg?w=480

Dat eyez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Build has gotten it's hands on the suppressed report into corruption by Qatar in winning the hosting rights.
    The 10 year old daughter of one FIFA official got a gift of $2 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Has anyone read the Dirty Game book? All on this topic. Paying for the African nations congress meeting which blocked out everyone else, let alone everything else.

Wonder what the FIFA Ethics Committee will have to say!*

*I know it'll be nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The latest in trying to get the World Cup out of Qatar..

Arab boycott nations demand Fifa strips Qatar of 2022 World Cup

Fifa president Infantino confirms six countries have asked for Qatar to be removed as hosts
    The six Arab countries who last month cut ties with Qatar have written to world soccer’s governing body Fifa to demand it be stripped of hosting the 2022 World Cup because they consider the Gulf state to be a “base of terrorism”.

Fifa president Gianni Infantino told Swiss website The Local that Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Mauritania, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt had collectively written to Fifa asking it to remove Qatar as hosts under Article 85 of the Fifa Code, which allows for such action in the case of emergency.
    “The countries warned Fifa of the risks threatening fan and player security in a country that is ‘the base and the castle of terrorism’,” The Local quoted Infantino as saying.

Infantino also said the countries have threatened to boycott the tournament should their request not be acted upon.
    Reuters has not seen a copy of the letter and Fifa did not respond to a request for confirmation.

A source familiar with the Qatari government’s World Cup activities said Qatar is aware the Saudis and others are engaged in such a move but understands Qatar has not yet received the letter.

People in the United States who represent and advise the Saudi government have also not yet responded to Reuters’ request for confirmation or comment.

Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt cut diplomatic and transport ties with Qatar in June, accusing it of supporting terrorism and Iran. Doha denies the charges.

Qatar, a country with a negligible soccer background or infrastructure, was a controversial winner of the right to host the 2022 World Cup, which will be held in November and December to minimise the impact of the desert state’s harsh climate.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/arab-boycott-nations-demand-fifa-strips-qatar-of-2022-world-cup-1.3156596

Mushy wrote: »
    Has anyone read the Dirty Game book? All on this topic. Paying for the African nations congress meeting which blocked out everyone else, let alone everything else.

*I know it'll be nothing

Not sure if it's the same book you mean, but I read The Ugly Game. Superb. Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mushy wrote: »

*I know it'll be nothing

Not sure if it's the same book you mean, but I read The Ugly Game. Superb. Highly recommend it.

That is the one. Fairly sure I was thinking don't say dirty game, don't say dirty game yet still wrote it. Eye-opening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The latest in trying to get the World Cup out of Qatar..

Arab boycott nations demand Fifa strips Qatar of 2022 World Cup

Fifa president Infantino confirms six countries have asked for Qatar to be removed as hosts

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/arab-boycott-nations-demand-fifa-strips-qatar-of-2022-world-cup-1.3156596
    Fake:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40626063

• Advertisement
Advertisement