Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

macbook and ipad - ebooks? i books?

• 23-02-2015 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭

hi

i am going to buy an ipad in the near future - and i plan to use it mostly to have books on it.

but i will need to buy some books before i get it.

so my question is, what format of ebook?ibooks should i get so that i can have then on my macbook and transfer/share then with an ipad?

i hope my question makes sense.

thanks in advance, s

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

sporina wrote: »
    hi

i am going to buy an ipad in the near future - and i plan to use it mostly to have books on it.

but i will need to buy some books before i get it.

so my question is, what format of ebook?ibooks should i get so that i can have then on my macbook and transfer/share then with an ipad?

i hope my question makes sense.

thanks in advance, s

There is a Kindle app for iOS and Mac as well. They are on the cloud, you download them onto the device when you want them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭sporina

whiterebel wrote: »
    There is a Kindle app for iOS and Mac as well. They are on the cloud, you download them onto the device when you want them.

thanks but i will be getting an ipad or something with an internet browser as it will be my source of internet too on the go

so?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

thanks but i will be getting an ipad or something with an internet browser as it will be my source of internet too on the go

so?

So you can put the Kindle app on your iPad........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So you can put the Kindle app on your iPad........

Why complicate it for the OP at this early stage?

The iPad comes pre-installed with an iBooks app that acts as a reader for reading books with pretty good functionality.
    It also offers access to a bookstore to allow you to purchase books directly to the device.

Alternatively, you can source books from other areas and iBooks will be able to handle them once they are in either PDF or EPUB format.

I hope this helps.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why complicate it for the OP at this early stage?

The iPad comes pre-installed with an iBooks app that acts as a reader for reading books with pretty good functionality.
    It also offers access to a bookstore to allow you to purchase books directly to the device.

Alternatively, you can source books from other areas and iBooks will be able to handle them once they are in either PDF or EPUB format.

I hope this helps.

And I'm complicating it?:pac: Amazon has a vastly superior selection to iBooks IMO, and a lot more free books. The OP was asking about formats initially, hence suggesting the Kindle app. This works perfectly for me, as the OP suggested they want it, on their MB and iPad. Any device with the app on it can sync to last read point etc, etc.

• Advertisement

hi,

so if i wanna buy books for my macbook which i can later access on my ipad, what format of books should i buy? I know nothing about "cloud"? Ok maybe I should learn about it.
    And yes I like the idea of amazon as the website if just great for buying books - anything - with reviews, suggestions the general information etc.

So?

You have a choice. Inbuilt into Mac OS on your MacBook, and iOS on the iPad is iBooks, which as a store to buy books digitally.
    You can also download the kindle app onto your MB and iPad, which means you can read the Amazon books on either machine.

What they do is store the "book" in the cloud, which is away on a remote server. This allows you to just download the ones you want onto the iPad, which saves you space. Download, read and delete. You can just download what you want when you are on a WiFi network. For me, Amazon has a much better selection, but you can of course have both on the same machine: best of both worlds.

You have a choice. Inbuilt into Mac OS on your MacBook, and iOS on the iPad is iBooks, which as a store to buy books digitally.
    You can also download the kindle app onto your MB and iPad, which means you can read the Amazon books on either machine.

What they do is store the "book" in the cloud, which is away on a remote server. This allows you to just download the ones you want onto the iPad, which saves you space. Download, read and delete. You can just download what you want when you are on a WiFi network. For me, Amazon has a much better selection, but you can of course have both on the same machine: best of both worlds.

can you download an app onto an macbook? i thought that apps where just for iphones/ipads etc

can you download an app onto an macbook? i thought that apps where just for iphones/ipads etc

Yes you ca. There are specific apps for macs.

Yes you ca. There are specific apps for macs.

ok so i can use both - in any event its easy?

so what is the name of the app for my macbook? maybe i should get that first and get a book on amazon and ibooks and learn about cloud and proceed from there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I was researching ebook readers for Christmas, comparing a kindle, kobo, Sony, and the iPad(that I already have).
    One massive point against iBook was that as yet, iBooks remain uncracked. Buying Ebooks thus far gives you the right to read the content but unlike an actual book, you don't own your copy.
    With an Amazon ebook for example, software exists to un drm it to allow you to use it more as you please.

Now, obviously this is against the t&cs, but it was enough of a reason for me not to select the Apple iBook store as my ebook bookstore.

Ebooks themselves are portable, so I disagree with device lock in.

ok so i can use both - in any event its easy?

so what is the name of the app for my macbook? maybe i should get that first and get a book on amazon and ibooks and learn about cloud and proceed from there?

It's called Kindle.

are the ebooks on amazon in pdf format?

are the ebooks on amazon in pdf format?

No. In their own format.

No. In their own format.

so where do you get them in pdf? advantages of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Stick to kindle app on iPad, what e books you purchase from the kindle store you can view them on any other devices you own.
    I books can very expensive some ebooks from Amazon can be half the price they are on from iBooks plus lots of free books from Amazon ...

harr wrote: »
    Stick to kindle app on iPad, what e books you purchase from the kindle store you can view them on any other devices you own.
    I books can very expensive some ebooks from Amazon can be half the price they are on from iBooks plus lots of free books from Amazon ...

ok - but just out of curiosity - whats this about books in pdf format?

ok - but just out of curiosity - whats this about books in pdf format?

None of the sellers do books in pdf, because then they would be free. You may find them in various places, but nit on iBooks or Kindle.

ok guys thanks for all of that - i found some pdfs but they are mess.. maybe i will get some but the long run i am gonna go with the kindle app..

so i will get one for my macbook and then get an ebook on amazon yeah? and see how i go.
    so where do i get a kindle app for the macbook?
    and is it free?
    thanks for all the help - i really struggle with all the techy jargon..

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

My 2 cents. Amazon is the way to go. They have a better selection of books, lots of discounted books and reader apps that work on IOs, OSX, PC and kindle.

I particularly like the way that your place in a book is synchronised so that you can continue reading on any device with the app. e.g my kindle is my main book, however if I am out and about and I don't have my Kindle , I can still pick up the same book on my iPhone and it will be at the same page as I got to on my kindle or PC ( if that makes sense).

Apps are in the app store for iOS, the rest are downloadable from Amazon all are free.

• Advertisement
Advertisement