Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matic red-card

• 24-02-2015 12:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭

As an everton fan, I was up for burrnley at weekend, but how was Matic expected to react to such a cowardly challenge by Barnes. In many ways think Matic restrained himself, i know how i would have re-acted.
    Dyche now defending Barnes, my love for little burrnley is fading.
    I rarely agree with Mourinho , but for once he is dead right.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ref seen it so Barnes cant get retrospective punishment, not much more to say other than I expect Matic to serve the 3 game ban hes picked up for a push.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ref seen it so Barnes cant get retrospective punishment, not much more to say other than I expect Matic to serve the 3 game ban hes picked up for a push.

lunacy , break someones leg is no problem , but raise an arm , however feebly , red card - lunacy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Worst reffing I've seen in a while.
    Matic was well within his right to defend himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Panthro wrote: »
    Worst reffing I've seen in a while.
    Matic was well within his right to defend himself.

Running after him isn't defending yourself. Throwing a dig back in a fight would be. If he hadn't "defended himself" the whole thing was over so what was he defending himself from? Or do you think Barnes was heading off to get a weapon?

It was retaliation, that's a different thing altogether.

I think what annoyed me more about Dyches comments is that hes said because nobody other than Matic reacted, somehow means the tackle was ok, or not as bad as it looks which is a load of bo**ocks, its a nasty Tackle end of.

TBH, I'm still stumped at how Matic hasnt snapped his leg, the flex was awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Awful tackle and I fully understand Matic's reaction, but in the footballing law he has to serve the 3 games. It's a joke if he doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

GavRedKing wrote: »

Well, Mr Atkinson must surely have to explain how, if he saw the Barnes boot on Matic's shin, he did'nt take action against him.

Running after him isn't defending yourself. Throwing a dig back in a fight would be. If he hadn't "defended himself" the whole thing was over so what was he defending himself from? Or do you think Barnes was heading off to get a weapon?

It was retaliation, that's a different thing altogether.

how was he supposed to re-act ??

Barnes nearly shattered his leg and ran off -

cowardly challenge , Matic was well within his rights

Well, Mr Atkinson must surely have to explain how, if he saw the Barnes boot on Matic's shin, he did'nt take action against him.

Thats the million dollar question, how he didnt think it was a foul was beyond me.. :pac:

Chelsea arent appealing this card as a wrongful dismissal instead theyre appealing the severity of the ban.

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »

No he wasn't. He's supposed to re-act by getting on with it and notifying the ref. I think it was an awful challenge but that doesn't give Matic the right to break the laws in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Mourinho has no qualms sending his players out to 'rough up' opposition players, so it's good to see him on the other end.

The challenge was clumsy, but didn't look to have any malice in it. And Matic wasn't defending himself, he was on the receiving end of a clumsy tackle, there was no follow up coming, and it was up to the ref to deal with it. But he lost the head and assaulted Barnes, so had to go.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Mourinho has no qualms sending his players out to 'rough up' opposition players, so it's good to see him on the other end.

That's not roughing up that's a career ender. And it's disgusting that you think it's ''good to see''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Atkinson should miss some games if he did in fact see that incident and didn't send him off.

So is this how all players can react to challenges then? Who gets to decide where on the scale it's ok to give someone a smack? If they keep running away can you chase them indefinitely? Is it down to how bad the tackle looks? How high on the 1-10 pain scale it is?

Or maybe we just stick to the rule that retaliating is not allowed at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

The challenge was clumsy, but didn't look to have any malice in it. And Matic wasn't defending himself, he was on the receiving end of a clumsy tackle, there was no follow up coming, and it was up to the ref to deal with it. But he lost the head and assaulted Barnes, so had to go.

Nailing your flag firmly to the mast I see.

I'm dumbfounded as to how you disagree with 99% of people (including seemingly all media, players, ex players ect) see it as a clumsy challange and then going on to say Matic assaulted him.

Laughable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Am I the only one who thinks it wasn't even a foul by Barnes? The first angle in the video looks pretty bad but from other views it just looks like his normal leg shape for a pass which Matic threw himself into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

sabat wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks it wasn't even a foul by Barnes? The first angle in the video looks pretty bad but from other views it just looks like his normal leg shape for a pass which Matic threw himself into.

I'd say you are yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The challenge could have seriously injured him, and his reaction is understandable, but in the laws of the game it is not excusable. Don't see the issue tbh, you retaliate you take your punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Rubbish, that tackle was up there with Roy Keane's attempt at destroying Alf-Inge Haaland's career:(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

While it was an awful challenge, it's hard to take José seriously considering some of the horror tackles Ramires, Mikel and Cahill have been guilty of in recent years. Football is for men he said after one particular challenge by Mikel. Guess that only applies when it's Chelsea doing the tackling.

No he wasn't. He's supposed to re-act by getting on with it and notifying the ref. I think it was an awful challenge but that doesn't give Matic the right to break the laws in football.

getting on with it ??

ever been the victim of an unprovoked assault on the pitch or otherwise ??

People are human and re-act to unprovoked assaults (thankfully)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Red for me, you can't just chase someone down and push them over from behind there would be anarchy.

Though the original tackle was awful and the player should be also punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

The contact looked rough, but considering he went for, and passed the ball, before Matic made contact with the ball, I see no problem. He has only one foot off the ground, the other doesnt come through until after he's contacted Matic, even then I think its just carried through with momentum. Unfortunate coming together, but could have been so much worse for Matic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

"The tackle is a hard one, an aggressive one - but football is for men".

I wish I could say the same thing about this incident as Mourinho said about Mikel's horror challenge on Arteta but I can't.

The tackle on Matic was poor. I don't blame Matic for the way he reacted but it's a red card nonetheless. There's also a STRONG and EQUAL argument that Barnes leg was going in this direction after side footing it anyway.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/hypocrisy-jose-mourinho-blasts-ashley-5214358

So is this how all players can react to challenges then? Who gets to decide where on the scale it's ok to give someone a smack? If they keep running away can you chase them indefinitely? Is it down to how bad the tackle looks? How high on the 1-10 pain scale it is?

Or maybe we just stick to the rule that retaliating is not allowed at all.

so if someone head-butts you in the face - you are not meant to react - nonsense

getting on with it ??

ever been the victim of an unprovoked assault on the pitch or otherwise ??

People are human and re-act to unprovoked assaults (thankfully)
    Yes I have, I've been kicked up and down the pitch. But I'd rather not get a red card and cost my team the game. Or if I am going to do something do it away from the ref. Matic knew it would be a straight. Had to be.

It was a foul Imo...but not as bad as people are making out.

Yes I have, I've been kicked up and down the pitch. But I'd rather not get a red card and cost my team the game. Or if I am going to do something do it away from the ref. Matic knew it would be a straight. Had to be.

well i just see it as an emotional re-action , not pre-meditated by Matic

• Advertisement

so if someone head-butts you in the face - you are not meant to react - nonsense

I don't think you're getting this... Matic still broke the law and therefore has to be punished. I'm failing to see how you have trouble understanding this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

While it was an awful challenge, it's hard to take José seriously considering some of the horror tackles Ramires, Mikel and Cahill have been guilty of in recent years. Football is for men he said after one particular challenge by Mikel. Guess that only applies when it's Chelsea doing the tackling.

"There are other sports without contact, fantastic sports which demand a lot from the players, and I respect those sports full of big champions. But [there is] no contact. Football is a game of contact. English football, winter, water on the pitch, sliding tackles at fantastic speed … Be proud. Play with pride. If you are hurt, OK, you are hurt. If you have pain … well, I have pain every day and I work every day."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/24/jose-mourinho-arsenal-chelsea-arsene-wenger

Yes it was 100% emotional reaction. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't be punished

I don't think you're getting this... Matic still broke the law and therefore has to be punished. I'm failing to see how you have trouble understanding this.

lose the condescending tone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

"It's a man's game": Mourinho after this potential career ender from Mikel, snapped Arteta's shinguard IIRC.

john-obi-mikel-vs-arsenal.png

Barnes's tackle was nasty but Mourinho's waffle about conspiracies against Chelsea are tiresome. Matic deserves the 3 match ban regardless of how bad the tackle was.

lose the condescending tone

I'm not being condescending but what you expecting to happen to Matic? Nothing?

• Advertisement

The exact same could be said about the tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It looks horrible and could have broken a leg but barnes was in control of the ball and played a pass. Matics own challenge caused him to be caught on the follow through.

His reaction is understandable but it deserved a red. For Barnes I don't think he deserved anything for that despite how bad it looked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

asdfgh86 wrote: »
    "It's a man's game": Mourinho after this potential career ender from Mikel, snapped Arteta's shinguard IIRC.

john-obi-mikel-vs-arsenal.png

Barnes's tackle was nasty but Mourinho's waffle about conspiracies against Chelsea are tiresome. Matic deserves the 3 match ban regardless of how bad the tackle was.

Wouldn't mind a NSFW on that Mikel challenge tbh, disgusting really.

Poor tackle by Barnes all the same but there's a STRONG and EQUAL argument that Barnes leg went in the direction it would have anyway after side footing it. Just rather unfortunate Matic intervened. Deserved red card for Matic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

"There are other sports without contact, fantastic sports which demand a lot from the players, and I respect those sports full of big champions. But [there is] no contact. Football is a game of contact. English football, winter, water on the pitch, sliding tackles at fantastic speed … Be proud. Play with pride. If you are hurt, OK, you are hurt. If you have pain … well, I have pain every day and I work every day."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/24/jose-mourinho-arsenal-chelsea-arsene-wenger

How come he's never spouted this sh1te after one of his players has been on the end of a "hard tackle"? I think everybody bar maybe Chelsea fans are fairly tired of him and his carry on at this stage.

I thought everyone was going way overboard alright. He gets the ball and knocks it in to matic and his leg continues up the way it does when you side foot it. The only difference is matic's leg. There isn't really anywhere else for Barnes leg to go.

More unfortunate than anything imo.

• Advertisement

asdfgh86 wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0F6bEH_zQk

Pause at 0.17

Completely different to the tackle with Barnes/Matic. Both players flying in etc, Arteta got there just before and that's what happend. Had Mikel got there 1st, it would have happend to him.

I'm not being condescending but what you expecting to happen to Matic? Nothing?

well it certainly sounded so -

if barnes gets nothing , card should rescinded - but expecting common sense from the FA , now that would be something.

The exact same could be said about the tackle.

???

You can retaliate all you want, but your going to get a red too.

well it certainly sounded so -

My apologies, I didn't mean to come across that way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I thought everyone was going way overboard alright. He gets the ball and knocks it in to matic and his leg continues up the way it does when you side foot it. The only difference is matic's leg. There isn't really anywhere else for Barnes leg to go.

More unfortunate than anything imo.

I'd largely agree with this. It's a red card probably, but this level of analysis is only coming because it's Mourinho.

It is largely to be filed alongside ballboys and his thanking of the referee after the Sunderland game last season and now this. All in common with Chelsea not getting three points where they should on paper. Perhaps the pressure is getting to him or his time in Spain still affects him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think both players deserved red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0F6bEH_zQk

Pause at 0.17

Completely different to the tackle with Barnes/Matic. Both players flying in etc, Arteta got there just before and that's what happend. Had Mikel got there 1st, it would have happend to him.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Either way I really think the time has come to ban managers and players from discussing refereeing decisions. It adds nothing to the game except perpetual whinging and attempts at ref manipulation.

Love watching the Six Nations where referee decisions tend to take up about two minutes of the analysis and players and coaches rarely discuss them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Shocking stuff from Barnes really and should have gone too, however Matic's sending off is unarguable. The 'defending himself' excuse is ridicuous really, he ran 10 yards to get back at Barnes. Mourinho completely embarrassed himself going on TV on Sunday though and saying what he said, it was car crash TV. Any manager who's on the wrong end of decisions during a game will expect to want to go on now and reel off a 'Rafa' fact list of things that have gone against them. I say that as a fan of Mourinho, but he seems extra bitter this season despite his team dominating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Barnes got to the ball first and side footed it away. He couldn't stop his leg from moving in its path as Matic came in from the side. It was an unfortunate coming together that could have ended nastily. But people calling for Barnes to be carded after the match are going over the top.

Matic was rightly sent off for essentially attacking Barnes after the incident. It may have been handbags but you can't be doing that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement