Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matic red-card

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I wouldn't be surprised that Mourinho ramping it up as he knows Matic is a huge loss to Chelsea and he doesn't trust Ramires or Mikel etc and let Schurrle go.

If it was someone more replaceable to him, he'd not be as annoyed.

In the end, he drew 1-1 at home to Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Barnes got to the ball first and side footed it away. He couldn't stop his leg from moving in its path as Matic came in from the side. It was an unfortunate coming together that could have ended nastily. But people calling for Barnes to be carded after the match are going over the top.

Matic was rightly sent off for essentially attacking Barnes after the incident. It may have been handbags but you can't be doing that.

Barnes nearly took Matic leg off - Matic re-action was hardly assault , a little diCanio style push

if it had been the reverse , and Matic had made the tackle , the world would have been spinning with outrage , but cause its little burnley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

thebaz wrote: »
    a little diCanio style push

So you're saying Matic should get an 11 match ban then? ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/fa_carling_premiership/199527.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

dfx- wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised that Mourinho ramping it up as he knows Matic is a huge loss to Chelsea and he doesn't trust Ramires or Mikel etc and let Schurrle go.

If it was someone more replaceable to him, he'd not be as annoyed.

In the end, he drew 1-1 at home to Burnley.

What has Schurrle going to do with anything?

He's annoyed because we should have had 2 penalties aswell as the red card. Its well documented about other decisions not going our way this season but last Saturday was taking the pi$$. Would be the same if it was Matic or if it was anyone else.

I don't think he's remotely annoyed as he comes across. He's annoyed at the result and that it's Matic that will be missing.

What was the last time Mourinho ranted about referees when Chelsea ultimately won?

I don't think he's remotely annoyed as he comes across. He's annoyed at the result and that it's Matic that will be missing.

What was the last time Mourinho ranted about referees when Chelsea won?

Managers don't tend to rant about referees after they win because in that instance they don't cost them points. He's said numerous times after wins that Hazard needs more protection.

Jose calling for Barnes to be banned has nothing to do with Matic missing the Cup final. Matic will still miss it regardless.

Chelsea only winning 1-0 with 20 minutes left cost them the points. Champions elect at home to Burnley should be long out of sight by then. 1-0 is a dangerous lead, but that is the Mourinho way, like it or lump it. Thin line between tactical genius and dangerous lead.

Mourinho knows that was points thrown away and that will be what annoys him most.

Chelsea only winning 1-0 with 20 minutes left cost them the points. Champions elect at home to Burnley should be long out of sight by then. 1-0 is a dangerous lead, but that is the Mourinho way, like it or lump it. Thin line between tactical genius and dangerous lead.

Mourinho knows that was points thrown away and that will be what annoys him most.

And it would have been 3 if we had got the two penalties that were as clear as day.

As for 1-0 being the Mourinho way, you clearly haven't watched alot of Chelsea this season. If you had you'd see how untrue that is. Especially when we're playing the weaker teams.

He didn't appear to be as angry after we lost against Spurs or Bradford, but was angry after the Southampton game when another refereeing decision cost us 2 points.

Your nearly implying that because we threw 2 points away he doesn't have a right to be annoyed about the Barnes and Penalty incidents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Dyche Brings Balance to Stamford Bridge Events: http://youtu.be/Re5c-HPPvIE

• Advertisement

1-0 is the Mourinho way at Inter, Madrid and Chelsea. It was their downfall late last season when they should've won the league. Didn't he call it embarrassing or shameful for Arsenal to be in 5-4 type scoreline a few seasons ago.

That and having a core amount of players he 'trusts'/always picks are key Mourinho principles. Both of them failing was why he was hounded out of Madrid.

1-0 is the Mourinho way at Inter, Madrid and Chelsea. It was their downfall late last season when they should've won the league. Didn't he call it embarrassing or shameful for Arsenal to be in 5-4 type scoreline a few seasons ago.

That and having a core amount of players he 'trusts'/always picks are key Mourinho principles.

Our game against Everton last week was the first we won 1-0 this season. He did very well to even have us in the title picture last season with no decent strikers.

As for his time at Madrid, he won very few games 1-0. You clearly have a chip on your shoulder about Mourinho or you've made up your mind about him in his first stint at Chelsea and aren't changing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

This sort of $h!t is why Mourinho comes off poorly, everything is different when it happens his side. I get that managers defend their team but it's the criticism he dishes out to other teams when it goes against him that bugs me.

https://twitter.com/royhendo/status/569980236235988992

1-0 is the Mourinho way at Inter, Madrid and Chelsea.

His 2012 Real team won the league with a record number of goals, 121 or over 3 per game.

So that sentence could hardly be more wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I do feel sorry for Matic over the whole red card because it is human nature to react when you you get hit with such a bad or hard challenge. But then he also raised his hands after it so the laws of the game do state he has to go.

I honestly think this whole mess could easily be resolved if the fa looked at it with common sense. But they won't do that at all which is sad. Just wipe away the card and ban and be done with it.

This reminds me of the shelvey and Evans incident of a few years ago both went in feet in the air and shelvey was sent off and well Evans got nothing both of them should have been punished that day.

So I do think the ref should have carded them both with a yellow and said it was a chain of events both where wrong and be done with it. So both Barnes and Matic would have been treated fairly if he had of pulled a yellow out for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I do feel sorry for Matic over the whole red card because it is human nature to react when you you get hit with such a bad or hard challenge. But then he also raised his hands after it so the laws of the game do state he has to go.

I honestly think this whole mess could easily be resolved if the fa looked at it with common sense. But they won't do that at all which is sad. Just wipe away the card and ban and be done with it.

This reminds me of the shelvey and Evans incident of a few years ago both went in feet in the air and shelvey was sent off and well Evans got nothing both of them should have been punished that day.

So I do think the ref should have carded them both with a yellow and said it was a chain of events both where wrong and be done with it. So both Barnes and Matic would have been treated fairly if he had of pulled a yellow out for both.

They can't wipe the card though as it will just open up more problems for them. Players can't take the law into their own hands. Are Chelsea ever in the wrong anymore. First it was sky that got costa banned and now they are trying to blame everyone else for Matic's push.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

Are most people here just trolling against Chelsea and mourinho?

In fairness mourinho pointed to 4 incidents that cost them the game and many people have come out in the last few days and said it was one of the worst refereeing displays ever in the premiership and he was right. Hazard is the most fouled player in the league. The fact is chelsea are being 'roughed' up this year and not getting the protection they deserve. This should not be down to Mourinhos reputation but it appears that it is. Barnes should have been sent off in the first half if the ref was doing his job right. Instead he showed Barnes that he could keep up the good work...which he did.

The matic reaction was perfectly normal and anyone saying any different really needs to sit down and have a word with themselves. Barnes nearly BROKE his leg, could have ruined his season or even career. It's all well and good for Barnes, a nobody who no one will hear about when Burnley get relegated this year but Matic should have years of success at a top club competing for top honours and it was almost taken away from him. Then the coward walks away without apologising. I think Matic showed great restraint only to push him.

Vertonghen pushed noble to the ground on Sunday and didn't get sent off? But it's ok for Matic because he plays for chelsea and mourinho is a dick?

If there is any common sense Matic's ban will be passed on to Barnes but I can't see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I also think Barnes made a pass and his foot followed through which is a natural reaction after making a pass. Obviously it looked really bad but it was unavoidable. Mourinho reaction is way ott considering the tackle Cahill made this year and if you want to be really cynical it's got the other Chelsea story off the back pages.

niallo27 wrote: »
    They can't wipe the card though as it will just open up more problems for them. Players can't take the law into their own hands. Are Chelsea ever in the wrong anymore. First it was sky that got costa banned and now they are trying to blame everyone else for Matic's push.

Well when you see the next day that vertonghen can push noble to the ground without getting sent off and he wasn't on the receiving end of a horror tackle then you begin to wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

2 red card offences imo. Barnes could have pulled his leg back and stopped it hitting Matic.

if you want to be really cynical it's got the other Chelsea story off the back pages.

The other Chelsea story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Two separate incidents - Barnes' contact with Matic should have been punished, but wasn't. Bad refereeing.

Matic's push on Barnes - red card all day long.

Yet another incident highlighting the stupidity of the 'ref saw it so no action can be taken' rule.

Regarding this and the Mikel tackle, Mourinho is like every other manager everywhere. Hypocrites who will spout exactly the opposite of what they said a year or a day ago, and know that most of their own fans don't care about it. They also know that the fans pointing out their hypocrisy would defend the same kind of hypocrisy just as blindly if it had been the manager of their team that had said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The racist story. Cobsidering how there was rounding condemnation from everyone at the club and a lot of the fans too, it's not like the club are shying away from it.

I know Mourinho is hypocritical in what he says but Fergie and Wenger have been doing it for years and other managers do it on a smaller scale, Mourinho shouldn't be singled out for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    2 red card offences imo. Barnes could have pulled his leg back and stopped it hitting Matic.

Have you looked at it? Your talking about a quarter of a second between contact with the ball and then matic. Your brain wouldn't register whats happening fast enough to decide to pull back, never mind your body reacting fast enough to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Have you looked at it? Your talking about a quarter of a second between contact with the ball and the matic. Your brain wouldn't register whats happening fast enough to decide to pull back, never mind your body reacting fast enough to do anything.

Yep I have seen it loads of times.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Yep I have seen it loads of times.

So wheres the time in there to decide to pull his leg back and then act on it? All then going against the physics of his body going forward . Assuming he did have slightly more time, your then risking a nasty knee injury by coming down awkwardly.

Are most people here just trolling against Chelsea and mourinho?

In fairness mourinho pointed to 4 incidents that cost them the game and many people have come out in the last few days and said it was one of the worst refereeing displays ever in the premiership and he was right. Hazard is the most fouled player in the league. The fact is chelsea are being 'roughed' up this year and not getting the protection they deserve. This should not be down to Mourinhos reputation but it appears that it is. Barnes should have been sent off in the first half if the ref was doing his job right. Instead he showed Barnes that he could keep up the good work...which he did.

The matic reaction was perfectly normal and anyone saying any different really needs to sit down and have a word with themselves. Barnes nearly BROKE his leg, could have ruined his season or even career. It's all well and good for Barnes, a nobody who no one will hear about when Burnley get relegated this year but Matic should have years of success at a top club competing for top honours and it was almost taken away from him. Then the coward walks away without apologising. I think Matic showed great restraint only to push him.

Vertonghen pushed noble to the ground on Sunday and didn't get sent off? But it's ok for Matic because he plays for chelsea and mourinho is a dick?

If there is any common sense Matic's ban will be passed on to Barnes but I can't see that happening.

Ye that's fair hang Barnes out to dry because he isn't a premier league superstar.

Ye that's fair hang Barnes out to dry because he isn't a premier league superstar.

Yeah, what football needs is separate rules for the players on a "superstar" list. Lowly journeymen players shouldn't engage with their betters and should bow their head in a show of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Barnes was passing the ball and matic got in the way. The incident looked unfortunate not nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

whether you like it or not or justify it or not if you react like matic you will be sent off. Thats a simple fact and you will get more than a one game ban. I would be very surprised if matic didn't apoligise to his team after the game because he has let them down by reacting that way and getting sent off.

yes its a moments madness and yes he is angry for a very poor challenge on him. However his reaction means that he leaves a referee no choice. yes the challenge could have left him hurt but these happen in football not justifying it as a tackle or condoning it but plenty of people are tackled n same manner and dont react like matic.

i think matic's suspension is fully justified and cant have much sympathy for him. Massive player now missing for chelsea because he lost his cool.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

When I saw this live I though Barnes had done nothing wrong and it was Matic's badly timed tackle that got him into trouble. Many replays later and I have the same opinion. Not sure what Barnes could have done to prevent the contact once Matic lunges in.

Thought the ref had a bad day but this incident wasn't part of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Can the ban be increased for a frivolous appeal?

The racist story. Cobsidering how there was rounding condemnation from everyone at the club and a lot of the fans too, it's not like the club are shying away from it.

I know Mourinho is hypocritical in what he says but Fergie and Wenger have been doing it for years and other managers do it on a smaller scale, Mourinho shouldn't be singled out for it.

The whole thing is a bit ridiculous.

Every tackle it seems now is a horror tackle and a career ender. Every reaction is hysterical, from managers, the media, punters.

It was a bit naughty, the ref saw it and didn't see much, slow mo suggests he may have got it wrong and it was robust, Matic raised his arms which was understandable too but he was seen by the ref, his manager got a bit excited as managers have done for years and as you say Fergie and Wenger were particularly famous for only seeing things when their players were victims. Someone suggestion a plot to bury the racist fans story...it's getting insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

jose's reaction to obi mikel tackle that broke Arteta's shin pad. 'It's a mans game, Arsenal like to cry!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Can the ban be increased for a frivolous appeal?

No becuase theyre not contesting the red card for wrongful dismissal, theyre contesting the severity of the length of ban.

Yeah, what football needs is separate rules for the players on a "superstar" list. Lowly journeymen players shouldn't engage with their betters and should bow their head in a show of respect.

Are you calling Ashley Barnes a superstar? Because from what I can see he is the only one who seems to playing by separate rules than the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Are you calling Ashley Barnes a superstar? Because from what I can see he is the only one who seems to playing by separate rules than the rest of us.

What rules did he break?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The more the watch it, the less certain I am that it was intentional. The foot definitely appeard to be there first, then the man.

Regardless, you can't react the way Matic did.

One punishment has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

EDIT: Obviously Mourinho is being his usual hypocritic self but he isn't alone there when it comes to EPL managers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

One week he is anti sky everything, next he is given two hours to try the sympathy card live.

Hard one to figure out.

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Barnes was passing the ball and matic got in the way. The incident looked unfortunate not nasty.

Seriously ?? - looked nasty to me , no need to follow through, if he was merley passing

• Advertisement

Seriously ?? - looked nasty to me , no need to follow through, if he was merley passing
    If you Run 10 yds at pace and pass a ball it's totally natural for your foot to follow through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Saw little wrong with the tackle myself.
    Its threads like this where you realise what posters have actually never played football in their lives.

Do enjoy the Mourinho propaganda machine in full flow though - funny stuff.

If you Run 10 yds at pace and pass a ball it's totally natural for your foot to follow through

i have played football myself, i know a dangerous tackle - if it had been Matic on barnes would the anti-Chelsea brigade be so understanding

by the same token, you could say there was little wrong with the push, it was hardly a kung fu assault

i have played football myself, i know a dangerous tackle - if it had been Matic on barnes would the anti-Chelsea brigade be so understanding

I'd suggest you go out to your back garden and carry out the motion and you will find that it's totally natural for your foot to carry through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

He absolutley didn't mean it, he's passing the ball and his leg just continues through on it's arc and Matic was just unfortunate his foot got in the way, it looked horrible in slow mo but anyone who has played sport at any competitive level will know that those things can just happen every now and again and it's just an unfortunate incident.

The match of the day crew have just lost the run of themselves in regards to tackling, any sort of even slightly mistimed tackle seems to be "a potential career ender". But who's the last premiership player to have his career ended by a bad tackle? I genuinely can't remember despite the fact we seem to have 2 or 3 potentially career ending tackles every weekend. For guys that were former pros themselves they seem to totally over react to every tackle.

I can't help but feel the people who are reacting to this on here saying Barnes should get a huge ban are people that just take their opinions from the media/pundits and have never really played sport at a competitive level because I think if they had they'd appreciate that these sort of unfortunate incidents occasionally just happen through no ones fault.

Matic had to go for his reaction, obviously in the heat of the moment he felt it was deliberate but you can't react like that in the premiership and stay on the pitch. Even his team mates acknowledged this after.

The ref had a poor game but he got this incident spot on

I'd suggest you go out to your back garden and carry out the motion and you will find that it's totally natural for your foot to carry through.

and perhaps you could practice the impact of a low impact pushes and we can exchange notes , nah

• Advertisement

by the same token, you could say there was little wrong with the push, it was hardly a kung fu assault

That's irrelevant. You cant have players running around the pitch attacking each other for stuff that happens in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think what annoyed me more about Dyches comments is that hes said because nobody other than Matic reacted, somehow means the tackle was ok, or not as bad as it looks which is a load of bo**ocks, its a nasty Tackle end of.

TBH, I'm still stumped at how Matic hasnt snapped his leg, the flex was awful.

Those Serbs are made of steel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

yipeeeee wrote: »
    One week he is anti sky everything, next he is given two hours to try the sympathy card live.

Hard one to figure out.

Good point actually.

That's irrelevant. You cant have players running around the pitch attacking each other for stuff that happens in the game.

whatever, i remember some **** nearly broke my leg with a reckless late challenge, i went mad , decked him with a dig , got a red - no regrets

and perhaps you could practice the impact of a low impact pushes and we can exchange notes , nah

I never made a comment about the push though

• Advertisement
Advertisement