Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matic red-card

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He should of if Vertonghen and more importnatly Barnes got away with it.

If that the case Grumpymunster is right, maybe we should let it be just a free for all with no rules.

The ref was correct in sending him off . You cannot react violently.
    If you want to bring up every other incident that happens in other games you're just gonna end up down the rabbit hole.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He should of if Vertonghen and more importnatly Barnes got away with it.

That's not really true Gav, is a handball not a handball because a few people have gotten away with them? They all should have been punished in fairness. Letting someone off the hook if they're guilty just because someone else got away with it isn't really justifiable imo.

I have no problem with them reducing the ban fwiw, Matic was angry sure and deserved punishment for what he did, but at the end of the day he didn't do anything dangerous really, 3 game bans should only be reserved for the nasty stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That's not really true Gav, is a handball not a handball because a few people have gotten away with them? They all should have been punished in fairness. Letting someone off the hook if they're guilty just because someone else got away with it isn't really justifiable imo.

I have no problem with them reducing the ban fwiw, Matic was angry sure and deserved punishment for what he did, but at the end of the day he didn't do anything dangerous really, 3 game bans should only be reserved for the nasty stuff.

Oh of course not, but the consistency from refs in game is terrible and worse from the FA when they have evidence to look back on.

It wont be the last time this year an incident that was punished previously will get a blind eye turned towards it, may not involve Chelsea it may well but it will happen and we'll be back bitching and moaning about consistency.

The standards of the officials can be poles apart and their decision making in relation to other refs view on it can be varying also, even if you factor in human error, some of the calls have been baffling.

The only upshot to all this is Matic isnt out for 9 odd months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Had the ref deemed that Barnes challenge was a red card and Matic still got up and pushed him etc would he have sent both players off?

I doubt it. Matic may have gotten a yellow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    So you think he should got off scott free so. Nice. Stick to the rugby then.

And I said that where exactly?

And I said that where exactly?

I just thought I'd return the favour of being misquoted.

Mickeroo wrote: »

It really is just down to consistency in the end really, should Vertongen have gotten a red for pushing a West Ham player on Sunday. For me would have been harsh but if there is to be consistency then he should have got the same as Matic as it was the same "crime".

Again there was an undignified haste (led mainly by Sky) to get Costa banned from what was really at worst a clumsy challenge on Can. The FA rolled in behind Sky with really indecent haste and whoosh he was gone from the biggest game of the season to date. If the FA were consistent then Barnes should be gone too.

I just thought I'd return the favour of being misquoted.

Assume you referring to me misquoting you don't think so.

Assume you referring to me misquoting you don't think so.

Usually when I quote the poster I'm referring to them alright.

Doesnt matter anyway. Matic got rightly punished. Just like Costa got rightly punished. Refs arent gonna get all the calls right. Theyre only human after all. :)

• Advertisement

Usually when I quote the poster I'm referring to them alright.

Doesnt matter anyway. Matic got rightly punished. Just like Costa got rightly punished. Refs arent gonna get all the calls right. Theyre only human after all. :)

Refs will make mistakes of course they will same as a striker will miss a sitter or a goalie will mishandle. What really has Chelsea and their supporters up in arms is not that refs make mistakes it is that the FA have shown no desire to show any form of consistency at all. A rule for one should be a rule for all.

So was Costa treated the same as Barnes or Van Persie or Mangala quite clearly no he was not. Was Matic treated the same as Vertongen against West Ham on Sunday or Routledge earlier this season again quite clearly no he was not. If pushing a player is deemed to be worthy of a ban fine then apply the rule fairly. And if this is missed by the ref or treated not severely enough then a citing system should be in operation.

Refs will make mistakes of course they will same as a striker will miss a sitter or a goalie will mishandle. What really has Chelsea and their supporters up in arms is not that refs make mistakes it is that the FA have shown no desire to show any form of consistency at all. A rule for one should be a rule for all.

So was Costa treated the same as Barnes or Van Persie or Mangala quite clearly no he was not. Was Matic treated the same as Vertongen against West Ham on Sunday or Routledge earlier this season again quite clearly no he was not. If pushing a player is deemed to be worthy of a ban fine then apply the rule fairly. And if this is missed by the ref or treated not severely enough then a citing system should be in operation.

This is in operation already. That is how Ivanovic got off for his stranglehold on McCarthy recently.

Now I know you are taking the micky fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Stranglehold on McCarthy's chest. I see.

Now I know you are taking the micky fair enough

Let me paint you a picture... lets just say this is taken from the FA's website regarding the Ivanovic incident...

In Premier League matches, if an incident has not been seen by the match officials, a three-man panel of former elite referees will be asked by The FA to review it and advise what, if any, action they believe the match referee should have taken had it been witnessed at the time.
    For an FA charge to follow, all three panel members must agree it is a sending-off offence.
    In this instance, the panel did not believe the conduct was worthy of a dismissal.

When people like you dont know what theyre talking about, then you can only despair for the game! :D:D

Let me paint you a picture... lets just say this is taken from the FA's website regarding the Ivanovic incident...

In Premier League matches, if an incident has not been seen by the match officials, a three-man panel of former elite referees will be asked by The FA to review it and advise what, if any, action they believe the match referee should have taken had it been witnessed at the time.
    For an FA charge to follow, all three panel members must agree it is a sending-off offence.
    In this instance, the panel did not believe the conduct was worthy of a dismissal.

When people like you dont know what theyre talking about, then you can only despair for the game! :D:D

This must be you

Or else you are a member of the FA

• Advertisement

Should have got an Oscar!
    So you do see now that there is a panel that reviews cases yes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Obviously villa have had cutbacks but their wage bill would be massive compared to burnleys.

Villa pay very few players more than 15-20k. Some are still on big contracts from days gone by, but most are on championship money. Plenty of Lambert's signings aren't even on 5 figures weekly apparently

*edit*

in 2009 Burnley imposed a salary cap of 15k per week. That was 6 years and 2 TV deals ago now, so I doubt it's still in place at that level. That 15k a week is more than Villa play a good deal of their first team squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Barnes meant to leave a mark on Matic.

Whatever about people saying his right foot is natural to a pass (which is true), leaving the group with his left foot and putting the pressure down on the passing foot definitely isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well you could say the FA have shown no consistency in reducing his suspension. Chelsea have got a favourable desicion that I can't remember any other team getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

SantryRed wrote: »
    There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Barnes meant to leave a mark on Matic.

Whatever about people saying his right foot is natural to a pass (which is true), leaving the group with his left foot and putting the pressure down on the passing foot definitely isn't.

Has he history though. I find it hard to believe any footballer would want to seriously hurt another footballer when there is no history between them.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well you could say the FA have shown no consistency in reducing his suspension. Chelsea have got a favourable desicion that I can't remember any other team getting.

Except maybe Swansea earlier this season ..... no your right that card for exactly the same offence was rescinded totally.

Advertisement