Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trocaire Boxes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Of all "aid" to foreign countries only about 1-2% comes from charities, most is world bank loans etc

also for every euro paid to these multinational business that masquerade as charitable institutions only about 10% actually goes on the people it is collected for, about 10cent of every euro actually reaches Africa/Asia/South America and gets spent on the poor. The rest goes on the company and paying for staff and administration.

Do you have a source on how much the world bank gives? Would be curious to see it is all.

You have the 10% thing wrong - modern charities normally spend around 10% on administration costs with the rest going to those who need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Whos worked up?
    Theres a little concern and bemusement that a charity who claim to help victims of overpopulation attributed famine, poverty and HIV have affiliation to a religion which stands against contraception, family planning and HIV resisting condoms.

Should all the good things and good people associated with that religion be forgotten or tarnished just because of a minority of evil individuals and backward beliefs, which most people don't actually believe anymore anyway?
    CJ Haughey wrote: »
    Filling them with money is only lining the pockets of the parish priest and the ceos etc.

Ah good old generalization alive and well it seems.

I honestly think if Trocaire had a Muslim or Jewish or Buddhist ethos none of these issues would ever come up.

People are just so blinded by irrational hysterical hatred of Catholicism/Christianity in this country that they refuse to see the good in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm giving them same as last year, nothing but instead making a charitable contribution to Crumlin hospital for sick children in our own country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

We could never manage to assemble the box in our house, so it was never an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I honestly think if Trocaire had a Muslim or Jewish or Buddhist ethos none of these issues would ever come up.
    Probably, but only because they would as a result be a tiny charity that nobody's heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

worded wrote: »
    Bishop Casey and Trocaire

Give a little, it would help me mot

Anyone remember that one?
    CJ Haughey wrote: »
    6 figures anyway, another joke.

what should a CEO earn? Humour me and tell me .
    cos it sounds like you are just ranting for the sake of it with no info for back up.

The days of charities being run part time by holier-than-thou folk for a few buscuits is long gone. they need to be professionally run.
    125k is a good salary but given the size of the organisation it's not excessive when compared to other CEOs. You think they'd want to hire a decent guy to run the show - that would seem normal to me.

If you want it for free you go back to the days of some auld lad running the show as a part-time post retirement gig.The days of charities being run part time by holier-than-thou folk for a few buscuits is long gone. they need to be professionally run.

anyway did the annual report not state :

91 cent out of every €1.00 donated by our supporters is spent on the organisation's direct charitable expenditure

admitedly english isn't my first language but 91% hit rate is fairly decent in any organisation.

Yeah I'll believe some load of nonsense from a person pushing their atheist agenda against all the obvious good that we saw being done over the decades :rolleyes:

I wouldn't even waste my time reading it.

Are you not pushing your catholic agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Are you not pushing your catholic agenda?

touché

diddley wrote: »
    Shame about their CEO's salary though!
    worded wrote: »
    Did I read correct there earlier, how much is the person getting? Laughable
    thehouses wrote: »
    +1 on the CEO salary.

Also I hope you don't mean that charity has to end at home.

I always laugh when I see people going mad when they see that the CEO of a charity is on a large salary. Of course they are on a large salary, they are employed by the charity to run the charity as a business. If you want a proper CEO you have to pay them appropriately. The CEO is not a volunteer or even someone who is a charitable person necessarily, they are employed to do a job.

Pay peanuts and you get a monkey and the charity will fail just like a business will and then nobody will be helped at all by them when their doors are closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I always laugh when I see people going mad when they see that the CEO of a charity is on a large salary. Of course they are on a large salary, they are employed by the charity to run the charity as a business. If you want a proper CEO you have to pay them appropriately. The CEO is not a volunteer or even someone who is a charitable person necessarily, they are employed to do a job.

Pay peanuts and you get a monkey and the charity will fail just like a business will and then nobody will be helped at all by them when their doors are closed.

You say that like it's a bad thing. I've never given a penny to any business with a CEO masquerading as a charity and I never will. Conversely, I'd have no problem supporting a business doing charitable work, at least they are upfront and honest in their intentions.

• Advertisement

I always laugh when I see people insisting that these CEOs deserve their salary. The bankers on obscene money and they were useless. Also, I would not pay them peanuts but rather a fair wage.

Anyone who thinks that the money you give to Crumlin goes directly to help sick children is being led on too. My cousin is going out with a consultant who works in Crumlin sometimes. I was sickened to find out what he gets paid to perform an operation in Crumlin and he raises plenty of money for them for charity. He is basically paying his own wage as all he does is charge less to perform operations and call it charity. I was raging when I heard this.

Person in getting paid the going rate for their job shocker :eek:

Do you really expect people to work for less than they can, would you do it? Especially after the long hard road to a very high pressure job like being a consultant.
    I always laugh when I see people insisting that these CEOs deserve their salary. The bankers on obscene money and they were useless. Also, I would not pay them peanuts but rather a fair wage.

125k is a low wage really for a CEO of an organisation the size of many charitys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Do you really expect people to work for less than they can, would you do it? Especially after the long hard road to a very high pressure job like being a consultant.

125k is a low wage really for a CEO of an organisation the size of many charitys.

I'm not undermining how long he spent training and working to get to where he is. What I have a problem with is, don't do work under the premise of charity work, when it's not really. You're still doing consultancy work but only slightly lower than the going rate of a normal operation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Should all the good things and good people associated with that religion be forgotten or tarnished just because of a minority of evil individuals and backward beliefs, which most people don't actually believe anymore anyway?

You never tire of this tactic, the old 'Don't tar them all with the one brush' line when no one is doing anything of the kind. Im not talking about individuals. I am talking very specifically about the one true church, the RCC who very very specifically and obsessively promote their ethos that contraception and birth control are evil. Regardless of what ever kind acts individuals may perform in poorer countries, if they are part of an ethos which has beliefs which compound the problems facing these countries they should not be supported. Medicines sans frontier and The Red Cross are better suited for charitable donations.
    But on a slight side track how many of you good folk who don't believe these core beliefs of Catholicism yet still claim to be Catholic.... but that's always a car crash debate!

People are just so blinded by irrational hysterical hatred of Catholicism/Christianity in this country that they refuse to see the good in it.

Islam, Judaism and Buddism don't have a history here so that's a dumb argument.
    I can counter this with 'People are so blinded by their childhood indoctrination into Catholicism that they cant see the damage they have done and continue to do'.

€50,000 off that wage would save a huge amount of people and still leave you with a person that is more than capable of doing the job. A large pay-packet does not mean you have the right person for the job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

I'll save everyone the read of Mr. Ingonito's report.

It says the CEO is on €225k a year plus undefined top ups, last year all the donations were ate up in administration charges which is why we have to do better this year.

Is this why everyone did the ice bucket challenge and donated to MND because the CEO was working for free and not getting a large sum? :):)

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Is this why everyone did the ice bucket challenge and donated to MND because the CEO was working for free and not getting a large sum? :):)

That was part of my motivation - I researched what the CEO was earning before accepting the challenge. I accept I am probably in the minority in that regard.

That was part of my motivation - I researched what the CEO was earning before accepting the challenge. I accept I am probably in the minority in that regard.

https://www.alzheimer.ie/Alzheimer/media/SiteMedia/ImageSlider/Fixed/Daily-Mail-Piece_1.pdf

They wouldn't reveal their salary.

A good catholic would do it for less. Jesus would do it for free.:)

• Advertisement

I was led to believe it was for the Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association.

See:
    http://imnda.ie/statement-on-salaries-and-payments/

"our CEO was paid €65,000."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

A good catholic would do it for less. Jesus would do it for free.:)

You're bloody well right there. I have an uncle who has been out in South Africia for most of his adult life doing missionary work. He gets a small wage and pension that will gives him a comfortable life in that country but the work he does is incredibly draining and it he never has down time. He has helped so many people. He is a saint but I better not use that work around here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I may be wrong on this, it was decades ago, but I have a vague memory of a primary school teacher reading out a list of amounts of money in each pupils Trocaire box and praising whichever kid had the most money in it. Seems fcuking obscene now. I wonder if they still do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I may be wrong on this, it was decades ago, but I have a vague memory of a primary school teacher reading out a list of amounts of money in each pupils Trocaire box and praising whichever kid had the most money in it. Seems fcuking obscene now. I wonder if they still do that.

They used to do that at the offertory every Sunday too. And it was often the poor buggers that could afford it least were giving most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

No, my primary school did that circa 1990, there were prizes if you raised the most and extra homework if you raised the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

What, charity and giving? What a disgrace.

Yeah it is a disgrace when maybe .001% of that money actually reaches charitable causes and not some fat cat CEO to stuff his fat greedy face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

hynesie08 wrote: »
    No, my primary school did that circa 1990, there were prizes if you raised the most and extra homework if you raised the least.

MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL

€50,000 off that wage would save a huge amount of people and still leave you with a person that is more than capable of doing the job. A large pay-packet does not mean you have the right person for the job.

Why would someone do the job of CEO for only 75k? People a few years into their career in many industries are on that sort of money so don't see why someone with the skills and experience to have got to the stage of being considered for CEO position would work for it. It would most likely be a massive pay cut for the person.

Of course this has nothing to do with a charity or anything its just people begrudging someone on more money than they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Why would someone do the job of CEO for only 75k? People a few years into their career in many industries are on that sort of money so don't see why someone with the skills and experience to have got to the stage of being considered for CEO position would work for it. It would most likely be a massive pay cut for the person.

It would be easier all around if God would sort out the problems of the world himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Enabling the sickest regimes of the world while feeling good about yourself!

What's next, volunteering in an orphanage in Cambodia to boost the trade in children?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

bjork wrote: »
    Enabling the sickest regimes of the world while feeling good about yourself!

What's next, volunteering in an orphanage in Cambodia to boost the trade in children?

Sure we had children for sale in Ireland recently enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Of course this has nothing to do with a charity or anything its just people begrudging someone on more money than they are.

It's not like he is running a charity or anything, I would of thought a person would be happy to work to help others but according to you people will only help a charity for the monetary rewards.
    If he wants to earn money then their are plenty of non charity companies. I suppose their holiday home is more important than those poor children.
    Its got nothing to do with earning more than me, I feel the same about chuggers who probably earn very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

The IMNDA CEO is on less than €75,000 and seems to be doing a good job. There is no begrudging at all, it is about making sure as much people are helped as possible and CEOs siphon off money that could be used in much better ways. They are charities after all and have many volunteers working for them. If money is their motivation to work, then the charity would be better off without them.

The IMNDA CEO is on less than €75,000 and seems to be doing a good job. There is no begrudging at all, it is about making sure as much people are helped as possible and CEOs siphon off money that could be used in much better ways. They are charities after all and have many volunteers working for them. If money is their motivation to work, then the charity would be better off without them.

So if you saw a job advertised but the employer wasn't given (as happens often) and you applied to said job which was paying a good salary.

Then you are told its for a charity and you do the interview and get the position are you saying you would ask to be paid less, not take the job etc?

So if you saw a job advertised but the employer wasn't given (as happens often) and you applied to said job which was paying a good salary.

Then you are told its for a charity and you do the interview and get the position are you saying you would ask to be paid less, not take the job etc?

Yes I would no problem.

If the were actually being a good Christian then YES!

I certainly wouldn't even contemplate taking a smaller salary or not taking the job. People are quite foolish is appears when it comes to looking after themselves and their family first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I certainly wouldn't even contemplate taking a smaller salary or not taking the job. People are quite foolish is appears when it comes to looking after themselves and their family first.

Not very Christian of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Thankfully many people have an attitude towards others more like what Christians are supposed to have.

I was led to believe it was for the Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association.

See:
    http://imnda.ie/statement-on-salaries-and-payments/

"our CEO was paid €65,000."

Which is among the most well paid in Ireland.

• Advertisement

People in similarly high pressure jobs seem to manage a perfectly good standard of living on significantly less.......

Which is among the most well paid in Ireland.

How so? From what I have looked at most CEOs earn between €100,000 - €150,000. But I could be wrong of course or am misreading your point.

People in similarly high pressure jobs seem to manage a perfectly good standard of living on significantly less.......

Not CEO level though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Yuri Checkov

What I can't understand is that the Irish government is already firing public money at the Africans so why should I be asked to give more?

It is a fine little racket the churches have going, it would make the Mafia jealous.

So? My aim would be to earn as much as I possibly can not manage on less.

There are loads of people in the country earning 70k+ who are in nowhere near a CEO level position so I cant see why people who work up to that level wouldn't expect to be paid well.

Id be quite disappointed if I was a CEO and only earning 125k, especially as that figure will be destroyed after tax.

Not CEO level though.

The point I was replying to was that people would be putting their familys livelihood in danger by working for less. That's nonsense.

So? My aim would be to earn as much as I possibly can not manage on less.

There are loads of people in the country earning 70k+ who are in nowhere near a CEO level position.

And are these charitable Christians doing The Lords work?

And are these charitable Christians doing The Lords work?

What are you talking about?

What are you talking about?

Trocaire.... Christian charity....Catholic Charity...... Kinda related to the thread title..
    Try to keep up;)

• Advertisement

Trocaire.... Christian charity....Catholic Charity......
    Try to keep up;)

I think this has moved into talk about charitys in general but in any case no I'm referring to people who don't work for charitys but at the same time a well run charity is run like a business and to get the best people to run it you need to pay at similar levels to similar roles in industry.

Advertisement