Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby wetsuit - nappy question?

Options
  • 24-02-2015 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I've got a baby wetsuit with a built in 'happy nappy' from Splash About. Stupid question, what do you put under it, if anything? I can't see anything on their website about it. I'm guessing it defeats the purpose to put a nappy under it? And it'll just absorb water? Feels a bit weird not to put a nappy of some kind on him though. What if he poos?!

Bubs starts swimming classes this Saturday, I don't want to end up at the pool with him in the wrong gear! The pool isn't much help for info.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Hi there

I've got a baby wetsuit with a built in 'happy nappy' from Splash About. Stupid question, what do you put under it, if anything? I can't see anything on their website about it. I'm guessing it defeats the purpose to put a nappy under it? And it'll just absorb water? Feels a bit weird not to put a nappy of some kind on him though. What if he poos?!

Bubs starts swimming classes this Saturday, I don't want to end up at the pool with him in the wrong gear! The pool isn't much help for info.

Cheers

You can buy swim nappies. They're lighter than normal nappies so don't absorb as muchwater. Don't make the mistake I made though. I put my daughter's swim nappy and wet suit on under her normal clothes so I didn't have to dress her at the pool. They don't absorb much so she ended up leaking everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Yes, you put a swim nappy under the happy nappy. Tesco have them on special offer at the moment. The Huggies ones are 4e a pack until 9/3.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The swim nappy and happy nappy hold in solids long enough to whip them out of the pool and change them. Wees are fine in the pool, but poos will cause the pool to be shut down and the lesson and subsequent lessons to be abandoned while they decontaminate the pool . Swim nappy are less absorbent on purpose so don't put it on before the car journey or they'll wet through their clothes /seat if they wee on the way. Change when you get there.

The legs on the happy nappy wetsuit must be snug so that nothing is likely to fall out of it, if they are loose at all the instructor might not let you take the baby in, but usually a swim group will have alternative ones you can buy or borrow.

A trick I've found is to pack a snack/ bottle depending on the age of the baby for afterwards as they'll be hungry. When you come out of the pool and have showered, strip baby and dry off, and put on the nappy. Wrap them up with their towel nice and snug and give them the snack and you can dry off and change while they eat. Otherwise you'll freeze! You can then get them dressed and you are good to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Do not put a regular nappy on them anyway. Someone did that at one of our swims and the nappy broke down completely, letting gel floating all over the pool. Had to be shut down for cleaning.

The swim nappies do not really absorb liquid, they just hold any poop in.

Bit of a giggle at the picture of the unfortunate who put it on them before the pool, ya would have been wet alright!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

pwurple wrote: »
    Bit of a giggle at the picture of the unfortunate who put it on them before the pool, ya would have been wet alright!

:o

Yeah, that was me. :o Thankfully a small wee, but lesson learned.

Oh and I forgot op, while I demonstrated above NOT to pre-dress baby in the swim stuff before leaving the house, its handy if you do. Just dont forget your underwear in your bag. Yup, did this too, more than once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Thanks folks!

lots of potential for hilarious disasters there! At least I know that normal nappies can get huge with water absorbed as I brought one into the shower with me for my sore boobs one day. huge!

I found some huggies swim nappies in a pharmacy on my way in to work, $12 for a small pack :( god I miss tescos!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

You can actually rinse and dry and reuse the huggies swim nappies as long as there is no poop in them.

Saves some money. Alternatively you can also buy cloth swim nappies and just wash and reuse them too!

The cloth swim nappies would be handy. Can you recommend any? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

The cloth swim nappies would be handy. Can you recommend any? Thanks.

I bought a Bambino Mio one from earthmother.ie

http://www.earthmother.ie/search.php?search_query=swim+nappy&x=0&y=0

If you are in the States you'll have a huge choice of swim nappies - the range of cloth nappies and things like that is much better there and much cheaper. I've actually ordered stuff to be delivered to friends in the States and then brought back to Ireland. You could try Kelly's Closet but there's lots of big websites!

They're very handy. I use cloth nappies anyway but it's very easy to bring the swim nappy home with the wet swimsuit and bung it all in the machine and you don't have to keep buying disposable swim nappies.

Wet bags are great for swimming too. I have a few for use with the cloth nappies but I use them a lot for taking swimming stuff home from the pool without getting everything else wet!

Cheers woshy. I use cloth nappys normally and would like to use cloth swim nappies. I'm new enough to cloth though, I'll check it that site, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I bought a tots bots one from amazon.

Although he's growing out of it so ill just use an old pocket nappy now.

Cheers woshy. I use cloth nappys normally and would like to use cloth swim nappies. I'm new enough to cloth though, I'll check it that site, thanks.

Well you'll definitely find it handy then to use a swim nappy!
    I bought a tots bots one from amazon.

Although he's growing out of it so ill just use an old pocket nappy now.

That's what I use now as he grew out of the swim nappy - I just use a pocket nappy that I don't mind if it gets faded etc and remove the inserts. Works well!

Thanks for the advice ladies. First swim class went great, I put an empty pocket nappy under the happy nappy suit. He didn't poo anyway but good to be prepared, he is sure to poo in the pool at some stage.

It was some operation to get both himself and myself changed and into the pool then dried and dressed and back home again!

Yeah - it's a lot of work! We only take my boy swimming if the two of us are around. You're braver than we are :)

Glad the pocket nappy solution worked out well

Advertisement