Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trainer road style plans for running?

Options
  • 24-02-2015 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Ok, so in an effort to improve my sprint time this year I signed up to trainer road. I am going to integrate this into a training plan as opposed to using a specific triathlon program.

For swimming I do a tri club swim once per week (and will do one more alone).

That leaves running. Is there anything that gives the progressive style build like in the trainer road bike plans but for running? Or a good phone app (which tells via headphones when to speed up/slow down)? Or just some speed work/interval sessions.

Hard to find a program that might suit when I am not looking for swim/cycle in a plan.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I would highly recommend the book "Faster Road Racing" by Pete Pfitzinger. Has great plans for 5K to half marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Funnily enough, Trainer Road were talking about doing something like that but it was proving very difficult to make it happen and compared to turbo trainers, not too many people have treadmills, especially one that can communicate with a PC.

Do you have a Garmin, just get a plan online and program the workouts into it and it will beep and tell you when to start and finish the intervals, even a stopwatch would do the job if you have nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

AKW wrote: »

I've visions of people running into lampposts as they hold their phones up in front of their faces while they run.

OP ditch the gimmicks and just run - often and hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

tunney wrote: »
    I've visions of people running into lampposts as they hold their phones up in front of their faces while they run.

OP ditch the gimmicks and just run - often and hard.

Tunney, the issue is, until I started using trainerroad, I thought I was working hard on the bike. Then I realised the benefits of interval work at high intensity. I want something similar for running.

• Advertisement
Advertisement