Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding a 9 month old when out and about

Options
  • 24-02-2015 6:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions on how to do this? Im away for at least 6 hours this week. Ive been making my daughter annabel karmel recipes, freezing them and then reheating them as required. Also give her natural yogurt with fruit. What to do without a microwave to heat them up? My plan is to feed her before we go and to heat another pot and keep it in a heat protective thermal bag thing...not sure how safe this is though! I very recently weaned her off the boob so i dont even have that as a back up. I will bring water and formula for bottles but she is a savage for food!

Times like this i wish i did baby led weaning!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Do a little blw as well. It's not an either/or thing. Little croissants or brioche, baby biscuits, rice cakes, pieces of fruit, little sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are you out together? At 9 months she should be able for finger food and pretty much anything off your plate. Does she pick up bits of toast or peas and eat them herself?

What do you eat yourself? A sandwich? Just break it up a bit.. Separate bit of cheese or meat from lettuce and bread. Let her pick it up herself. Any of your dinner she should be ble to have a go off.

Snacks at that age i do yoghurt, rice cakes, banana, avocado, strawberries or soft fruit.

I don't know what kind of weaning i do.. It's not blw where people cook porridge into sticks, or the one where everything is blended. Guess I'm a bit lazy, just give them what I'm eating, plus some snacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

What about the Ella's kitchen baby pouches? 100% organic and can be eaten hot or cold. Would only recommend them for occasional situations like this-great for out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Bring a banana to mush up, I usually had an ellas kitchen pouch or two, boiling hot water in a thermos (sit pouch/ food) in it to heat, berries to mush, yogurt and fruit pots also handy. And try someone simple Finger foods. we did spoon led weaning but at nine months baba wanted to feed themself a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

pwurple wrote: »
    Are you out together? At 9 months she should be able for finger food and pretty much anything off your plate. Does she pick up bits of toast or peas and eat them herself?

What do you eat yourself? A sandwich? Just break it up a bit.. Separate bit of cheese or meat from lettuce and bread. Let her pick it up herself. Any of your dinner she should be ble to have a go off.

Snacks at that age i do yoghurt, rice cakes, banana, avocado, strawberries or soft fruit.

I don't know what kind of weaning i do.. It's not blw where people cook porridge into sticks, or the one where everything is blended. Guess I'm a bit lazy, just give them what I'm eating, plus some snacks.

This is the best approach, common sense, practical, uncomplicated, weaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

My baba is nearly 9 months and while he has mashed up dinners at home, when out and about I bring a lunch box of finger foods. I usually bring things like a little cheese scone and some baby falafel, some fruit like blueberries and then a fruit pot (i like the organix ones). All can be eaten at room temperature. I have a batch of little scones and falafel in the freezer so it's very handy. He won't touch the food pouches which is a pain as they'd be handy every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

GaGa21 wrote: »
    What about the Ella's kitchen baby pouches? 100% organic and can be eaten hot or cold. Would only recommend them for occasional situations like this-great for out and about.

Yeah, they're great for babies when out, you can get Annabel Karamel, or however she spells her name, pouches in Lidl these days too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

When my son was 9 months we were giving him chopped up banana and grapes. Think he started having raisins around then too. He was able to sort of chew soft food with his gums. So anything with a similar texture to banana should be fine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 10 month old eats anything so either a sandwich,liga,jar of food,banana,cold chicken,rice cakes.
    If I am having lunch I just share mine with her.

She only got her 1st tooth yesterday and is lactose intolerant so we have to be slightly wary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

my 9 month would have

cheese, broccoli muffins, quiche, omelette, wraps, bagal, pasta, rice, fruit, veg and dips, lentil wedges, burgers, meat balls etc.

if i am not organised i would just order off the menu for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Thanks! All good suggestions. We were away for ages yesterday and ..shock horror she survived! She is my first and finger foods still scare the bejeasus out of me with her as im scared she will choke not to mention allergic to the mess. Anyway i know 9 months is def time to have her on regular finger foods. And she is pure easy going im sure still will take well to them or to just having bits of my food etc...she doesnt mind where the food comes from so long as she gets it :) bananas were a life saver when out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

pwurple wrote: »
    Ha ha! We never did the blw where you make things up as it kind if defeats the purpose. It's just the lazy weaning for me. We all ate the same pretty much just with no added salt.

Op I'm glad you worked it out. Bananas are a life saver even for older children. Start gradually with the finger foods until you get more confident. Toast is a great starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ha ha! We never did the blw where you make things up as it kind if defeats the purpose. It's just the lazy weaning for me.

Oh I know, totally defeating the purpose. But I know people who would eat porridge or yoghurt themselves from a spoon, but refuse to give it to the baby unless it was in some kind of stick form because they were doing blw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Porridge fingers are super handy if you have a constipated baby refusing to be fed from a spoon: but oh my god the mess! Not worth it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Porridge cakes are great for out and about - baked porridge and berries...so handy for a snack :-) also my little one thinks they are cake!!! So a bowl for breakfast and a snack for later if necessary

Advertisement