Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunset in Dublin County

Options
  • 24-02-2015 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hey there, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on where the best place to watch the sun set is in Dublin? I've heard Howth is really nice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Skerries has a west facing harbour, sitting outside the harbour bars on a summers evening gives some amazing sunsets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

You need somewhere with a decent view SouthWest, so yeah, Howth looks lite it would be pretty good if you find somewhere on the South Face of the Hill.

Look at this link, it shows the direction of the sunset (red line) and you can work out the kind of view expected from anywhere you place the marker.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dun Laoghaire Pier, east or west. You get to see the sun setting over the city. Go on a Thursday evening when the racing fleet is coming back in from the bay. Just beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

sebcity wrote: »
    Skerries has a west facing harbour, sitting outside the harbour bars on a summers evening gives some amazing sunsets!

+this. I think it might be the only west facing harbour in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Dun Laoghaire Pier, east or west. You get to see the sun setting over the city. Go on a Thursday evening when the racing fleet is coming back in from the bay. Just beautiful.
    +1

I have seen some utterly beautiful scenes when finishing and coming back in from racing. Sadly never managed to get a photo of them though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There are loads of places in Howth for fantastic sunsets:
    • Anywhere along the East Pier will give you silhouettes of yacht masts or the old lighthouse.
    • End of or behind the West Pier.
    • The Martello Tower Hill.
    • Baily Lighthouse across Dublin Bay with Poolbeg Chimneys.
    • Just beyond the car park of Howth Golf Club.
    • Strand Road, Sutton and the walk beyond it to the other Martello Tower.
    • Deerpark hotel/Howth Castle grounds.
    • Burrow Beach.

All of those above are very accessible.

Other less accessible ones with almost unimpeded views are:
    • West side of Sheilmartin Hill is above Howth Golf Club and has a slightly awkward path if it's dark after sun down depending on how far up you go.
    • Red Rock is low-ish and down south from Shielmartin will get the Poolbeg Chimneys depending on time of year.
    • Mush/Muck Rock behind Deerpark Hotel/Rhododendron Walk has a great view but dodgy path back down.
    • Dun Hill which is a long walk (~600 metres) west of Greenhollows Quarry/Ben of Howth car park.

There's plenty of photos on Google Earth from most of these locations which would give you an idea of what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Well even my piss poor Geography knows that neither Dollymount Strand or Portmarnock are west facing, but I have seen several spectacular sunsets on both of them. The Dollymount ones can look really spectacular if you walk to the end of the causeway at the end of the wooden bridge and look back towards the city. The sun reflecting off the water and the boats and lights of Dublin port is really gorgeous.

Advertisement