Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killincarrig roundabouts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hang on a second - this guy has only been in a few months for the Greystones area. How have you arrived at this conclusion so quickly?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

astrofluff wrote: »
    Hang on a second - this guy has only been in a few months for the Greystones area. How have you arrived at this conclusion so quickly?

Far from a quick conclusion..

I was trying to contact him for weeks and when he did eventually return my call (claiming there was no record of my 9 previous calls, which I had registered time and date), he was extremely rude and dismissive of my safety concerns regarding the surface condition of that particular road.

It is an accident waiting to happen given there are pedestrians, cyclists and in particular school children using that road which resembles a dirt track in places.

What also isn't discussed here is the gross waste of money in digging up the Kilcoole Newcastle road to lay a foot path literally weeks after the road had been re surfaced..

Management? Responsibility?

I'm not sure how long your definition of a few months may be, but Mr. O'Hanlon has neither of the above.

A large percentage of his quotes in the Bray People are excuses..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Fair enough, you're entitled to air your recent experiences.

FWIW, what I have experienced since he's been there (since my first contact with him in November last) he's been engaging and proactive. The previous incumbent was not so engaging and proactive TBH.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

astrofluff wrote: »
    Fair enough, you're entitled to air your recent experiences.

FWIW, what I have experienced since he's been there (since my first contact with him in November last) he's been engaging and proactive. The previous incumbent was not so engaging and proactive TBH.

I'd agree, I wonder do we have crossed lines here? Ckeego's previous comments ,which I endorsed wholeheartly unfortunately as a result of bitter experience, I assumed related to the previous holder of Mr O'Hanlon's position.
    While to date I have not dealt with him a neighbour has had reason to engage with him on a number of occasions and has found him to be exactly as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭lanciadub

Slightly off topic but can somebody please clarify whether the speed humps on the main street are in fact pedestrian crossings.
    I can't count the amount of times people have just stepped out in front of me assuming they were in fact entitled to because in fairness they do resemble crossings in that they have a painted pattern, but there is no warnings (lights or signs) to motorists anywhere that they may be approaching a crossing.
    With the pedestrian crossings and lights outside the station and supervalu I find it hard to believe that there are 2 or 3 more in a relatively short stretch of road.
    Incidentally I also think that the roundabouts and crossings at killincarrig are an accident waiting to happen.
    It's all very well discussing the rules of the road and right of ways but all it will take is an inexperienced driver to be too focused on traffic potential coming from the right and fail to see a pedestrian.
    Thanks.

These two things have bugged me for ages 😢

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The speed bump outside of The Burnaby is a particularly dangerous place. So many times people just walk across it thinking it is a pedestrian crossing. Some of these people don't even wait to see if it is safe to cross which is a requirement of a real and proper pedestrian crossing. The bump outside the southern side of Vino's should be obvious that it is not a pedestrian crossing because of the proximity of the lights controlled pedestrian crossing just a short distance further along.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I know they're speed bumps but I treat them as crossings now and always approach with the thought that someone will step out. Only takes 5 secs to wave someone across and in fairness I'm a git for jay-walking myself...

Aren't these just paved strips, not even bumps apart the one outside Breretons.
    There are four pedestrian crossings on the street, north of Fentons outside surgery , the two light controlled ones and the crossing at the south beach entrance, everything else is a figment of the careless pedestrian's imagination :)

Couldn't agree more re the Killincarrig roundabouts, I'd love to know the reasoning behind them. Heading towards Kilcoole from Delgany on Fri last driving a fairly large vehicle with a trailer behind, as I started to exit the last roundabout a lady walked onto the crossing, I had to stop on the roundabout with the trailer almost blocking the Greystones side, an unfortunate driver coming from Greystones and expecting me to keep going just barely avoided the trailer and in taking avoiding action almost collected a car coming the opposite way..and nobody was speeding..

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Aren't these just paved strips, not even bumps apart the one outside Breretons.
    There are four pedestrian crossings on the street, north of Fentons outside surgery , the two light controlled ones and the crossing at the south beach entrance, everything else is a figment of the careless pedestrian's imagination :)

Couldn't agree more re the Killincarrig roundabouts, I'd love to know the reasoning behind them. Heading towards Kilcoole from Delgany on Fri last driving a fairly large vehicle with a trailer behind, as I started to exit the last roundabout a lady walked onto the crossing, I had to stop on the roundabout with the trailer almost blocking the Greystones side, an unfortunate driver coming from Greystones and expecting me to keep going just barely avoided the trailer and in taking avoiding action almost collected a car coming the opposite way..and nobody was speeding..

Surely at this stage people should be making sure cars are stopping at pedestrian crossings before entering the crosswalk. I'd say there's only a 50/50 chance drivers will stop for pedestrians signalling that they're about to use the crossing

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Surely at this stage people should be making sure cars are stopping at pedestrian crossings before entering the crosswalk. I'd say there's only a 50/50 chance drivers will stop for pedestrians signalling that they're about to use the crossing

Agree 100%. People need to take responsibility here. Drivers need to pay attention and be aware Pedestrian crossings with flashing ambers.

Pedestrians need to be aware that they don't step out onto a road at a pedestrian crossing until they are sure the drivers have seen them and are stopping (or stopped).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Langerland wrote: »
    Agree 100%. People need to take responsibility here. Drivers need to pay attention and be aware Pedestrian crossings with flashing ambers.

Pedestrians need to be aware that they don't step out onto a road at a pedestrian crossing until they are sure the drivers have seen them and are stopping (or stopped).

A pedestrian signals their intention to cross at a pedestrian crossing by stepping onto the crossing. Obviously they must have due regard oncoming traffic.

Drivers are not obliged to stop for a pedestrian who does not step onto the crossing. Most drivers will stop out of common courtesy if they believe someone wishes to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

More traffic calming madness at Killincarrig roundabouts this week. I pity the bus and truck drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    More traffic calming madness at Killincarrig roundabouts this week. I pity the bus and truck drivers.

What have they done now?

Put a safety hazard in place that appears to force buses to circumnavigate by mounting the footpath. Clear attempt at vehicular homicide - watch out if you've kids or are elderly. Random buses/trucks now having to use the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Someone probably got paid a lot of money for that idea. :mad:

LEIN wrote: »
    Someone probably got paid a lot of money for that idea. :mad:

Ah - a sense of humour... Like it :)
    Oh wait, you really weren't joking...

pixbyjohn wrote: »

Absolutely, I'd love to know who gave this needless nonsense the go ahead and what it cost...meanwhile the main road to the harbour between Bradys and the harbour entrance is like a feckin' goat track...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Absolutely, I'd love to know who gave this needless nonsense the go ahead and what it cost...meanwhile the main road to the harbour between Bradys and the harbour entrance is like a feckin' goat track...:mad:

You could try Derek Mitchel - but he'd probably respond with something about it being too much like hard work and besides the harbour development will be done in about 5 years and no point doing works now as it might impede Sisk from completing on time and come with a massive risk of overspend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Yes, another fantastic waste of money and lack of oversight.

The road from those roundabouts up to Delgany remains an absolute disgrace-potholes, disintegrating ramps, flooding-a death trap in waiting.

But hey!

We have got 2 shiny new built up roundabouts!

Also, at the new development of houses, how have the builders been allowed dig 3 trenches across the road and fill them in in a worse manner than a group of 3 year olds in a sand pit?

WHO EXACTLY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR GOVERNING THIS MADNESS???

Advertisement