Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 World Cup Day 12 - Ireland v U.A.E

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Complacency is their main concern playing the weaker sides I would say. 50 overs is long enough to recover from a bad start or a mini collapse, bad decisions etc. Look at the Zimbabwe/SA game, one of the favourites in a sorts of trouble but even when Alma and AB fail, they still have Miller and Duminy and ended up with a huge total.

When it's all said and done, even with a few shock results thrown in, the usual suspects will make the semifinals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

DeVore wrote: »
    Extrapolating from a single game is also precarious...

Not many people in this thread are doing that, in fairness - most of the regular posters in here will know that the Irish team has somewhat predictable bowlers, an average attack really, and that some of the middle-order batsmen are well capable of throwing a 50 or 60 run stance on fairly regularly, and that is mostly the secret to this team's success, just look at KOB and Wilson the last day. They won Ireland the match, and it's the likes of those guys who make is easier for the top order batsmen to take a few more risky shots, safe in the knowledge that those coming behind them are well capable of doing a decent job too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I see West indies beat Pakistan chances are 6 pts won't be enough to qualify unless we beat Pakistan would that be correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

WI will probably end up on 6, they have (or will) beat UAE, Pakistan, Zimbabwe. And lose to Ireland, SA, and India.

Assuming we beat Zimbabwe (tough ask) and lose the rest, we will be on 6.

Pakistan will most likely lose to SA, abd have already lost 2 games. If they beat UAE, Zimbabwe, and us, they'll be on 6 too.

Then it comes down to RR. Pakistans is shot to bits. If we beat Zimbabwe and keep it respectable against SA and India I'd be confident of our chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    WI will probably end up on 6, they have (or will) beat UAE, Pakistan, Zimbabwe. And lose to Ireland, SA, and India.

Assuming we beat Zimbabwe (tough ask) and lose the rest, we will be on 6.

Pakistan will most likely lose to SA, abd have already lost 2 games. If they beat UAE, Zimbabwe, and us, they'll be on 6 too.

Then it comes down to RR. Pakistans is shot to bits. If we beat Zimbabwe and keep it respectable against SA and India I'd be confident of our chances.

Cheers I was thinking something like that. How exactly does run rate work

Cheers I was thinking something like that. How exactly does run rate work

Total run scored/ over batted - total runs conceded/ overs bowled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Total run scored/ over batted - total runs conceded/ overs bowled

With the number of overs being counted as 50 if a side is bowled out.

abff wrote: »
    With the number of overs being counted as 50 if a side is bowled out.

Was just thinking that, thanks.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well... I'd say we don't have to worry too much about West Indies run rate any more... they're on -313 ... the next worst is Pakistan, on -2. :)

Mathematically speaking, we need to avoid the same thing happening to us and we need to take a scalp from Zimbabwe or Pakistan. That might be tricky but lets keep the faith!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Well... I'd say we don't have to worry too much about West Indies run rate any more... they're on -313 ... the next worst is Pakistan, on -2. :)

Mathematically speaking, we need to avoid the same thing happening to us and we need to take a scalp from Zimbabwe or Pakistan. That might be tricky but lets keep the faith!

Definitely do need to worry bout WI run rate. Every chance of us shipping a huge hiding to SA or India, or both. Also WI could hammer UAE to address some of the damage

Tbh though we just have to focus on beating Zimbabwe and hope that's enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Would it be too far a stretch to aim for 8 points? Take Zimbabwe and Pakistan? Pakistan don't seem to be up to much.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Would it be too far a stretch to aim for 8 points? Take Zimbabwe and Pakistan? Pakistan don't seem to be up to much.

It'll be tough but no beyond the bounds of possibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Some rain forecast for Canberra on Tues.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Some rain forecast for Canberra on Tues.

Kokopelli%20Rain%20Dance%20by%20Carla%20Mora.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

We cant rain dance our way into a final so just enjoy all the games and hope for the upsets that we know the team is capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

We cant rain dance our way into a final so just enjoy all the games and hope for the upsets that we know the team is capable of.

Sometimes it's the result that matters and not how it happens. After all we could do with exporting some rain from time to time.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

"They don't ask how, they ask how many" :)

I cant see the rain being sufficient to stop play but lets see! We could definitely beat Zimbabwe or Pakistan but its a tough ask. Right now its just great to follow the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Who do you think will bat first? I'm sure in the final analysis, it'll depend on the weather and wicket but all things being equal, I'd suspect that SA will bat first, regardless of who wins the toss??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Bat first, score 300+ and win the game at a canter. That's how this world cup is going except of course for that one game.;)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Been away a couple of days and just catching up

The damage done to the Windies RR is a definite bonus. Obviously Ireland's best chance now is to get another couple of points against Zimbabwe and hope the Windies don't claw back the RR differential. However it also now means that a result for the WI against India would then still probably require Ireland to get a result against SA, India or Pakistan. So I think we definitely need to be cheering on India against the Windies next Friday

Even if we don't best the West Indian RR, we still may beat Pakistans. They are in bad shape too. I'd say we have a far stronger chance of taking their place and the bookies seem to agree.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The problem I see, and it also applies to the Windies against India, is the "big" teams are always capable of winning a one-off against anyone. The best chance for an associate to beat them is to catch them on an off-day, or a day when they have perhaps not taken their opponenets seriously enough. With it being the last match in the group stages I was hoping Pakistan would already have qualified and perhaps taken their eye off the ball against Ireland. However there's every chance now that they may well need to beat Ireland to go through. Likewise the Windies may feel forced to "up their game" against India

I not sure anyone's game can be sufficiently upped against that Indian team, they are playing like champions.

I not sure anyone's game can be sufficiently upped against that Indian team, they are playing like champions.

They have looked good alright but one has to wonder how they will fare should they come up against Australia in the knock outs, they were absolutely useless against Australia over the winter

I guess you would expect that to be the final...

Funny thing now is, Ireland will be the underdogs for many of these matches against big opposition but because of their history to date, the expectation is almost that they will produce an upset! :)

• Advertisement

I guess you would expect that to be the final...

Depends on how the draw goes once the groups complete. Definitely wouldn't rule out NZ or SA

I would have thought they would do some sort of Group A 1st vs Group B 4th? No?

Yeah you're right

I would have thought they would do some sort of Group A 1st vs Group B 4th? No?

Yep. Draw probly not the right phrase, but how the QF and SF work out after the groups finish

Advertisement