Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 World Cup Day 12 - Ireland v U.A.E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    **** it lets just beat them :D

If they lose to the Windies tomorrow (i actually fancy they might) they could be under a little bit of pressure. You never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 futuremedic19

Absolutely amazing match yesterday. It was well worth staying up for.

Kevin O Brians innings was intergal in that run chase. But Wilson was amazing aswell.

Ireland are almost certainly through now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Unfortunately this really isn't the case. I would say our realistic chance of qualification is about 30%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,646 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

KevIRL wrote: »
    Unfortunately this really isn't the case. I would say our realistic chance of qualification is about 30%

Better than the odds of getting to the QF in Italia 90.

Or independence!

Olé olé olé

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Absolutely amazing match yesterday. It was well worth staying up for.

Kevin O Brians innings was intergal in that run chase. But Wilson was amazing aswell.

yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Someone should buy a chip cucumber sandwich van.

I'll print a run of "F*ck Dhoni" T-shirts while I'm at it. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Seve OB wrote: »
    yesterday?

Clearly he is from the future and is predicting Irl will get through to the QF's!

Not a cricket fan but following the results.
    Someone mentioned rain above, does that mean the game is voided and not replayed?

If that's how it works, what happens at the latter stages with weather disruption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

For a game to stand, both teams must play at least 20 overs. If that can't happen, the game is a no result and both teams get a point.

No reserve days for games. Not sure what happens if a knock out game is no result.

For a game to stand, both teams must play at least 20 overs. If that can't happen, the game is a no result and both teams get a point.

No reserve days for games. Not sure what happens if a knock out game is no result.

yeah but, the knockouts?

• Advertisement

yeah but, the knockouts?

The following day is a reserve day for all knockout games.

The knockouts are all d/n matches so there is scope for two games in one day with no overlap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rikand wrote: »
    :(

Think I'll just go to work. Maybe we'll win if I don't watch

You can all thank me.

Instead I listened to the game without once checking to watch it :) Real heart in the mouth stuff but oh so fantastic. Credit to UAE, they played well and that 100 was excellent, but Kevin O'Brien went from Villain to Hero with that fantastic 50 in 20ish balls. Just a pity he couldnt have stayed in to close it out. Would have saved us all a lot of sweet and tears! :D

Roll on South Africa! :D

Are all matches on radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Christ, that was a lot closer than I thought it'd be when I checked the score this morning. Looked like we had a few nervy moments there!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just checking the playing conditions

In the pool stages, if tied on points, it is decided as follows:

1. Number of wins in the pool stage
    2. Net Run Rate
    3. The head to head match
    4. Original seeding

Hence 2 rain-offs are not (quite) as good as one victory

In the knockout stakes, if it's a tie, NR or abandoned it's whoever has the better position in the pool stages that goes through

Are all matches on radio?

They are all on 5 Live Sports Extra, and I'm going to need a way to listen to that, tunnelbear is not working any more on BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

KevIRL wrote: »
    Absolutely it was unconvincing and far from certain. But for the second game in a row there was posters on here writing off the team and the match far too early.

Limited overs has changed massively with the advent of T20 and wickets in hand means a massive score is possible in the last 10overs this means that we will likely concede big scores( especially with our non pacey bowling attack) but we will also be able to get big scores.

There was some serious throwing of toys from the pram from some posters earlier

Dont think i threw toys out of the pram but i was always apprehensive even when we were doing well.

Fabulous contest to watch as a neutral im sure but it put years on me.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Looks like no chance of rain so we have to get the job done on the pitch

Going to get some kip and have plenty of coffee ready for what i am assuming will be a long slog.

We could get rumbled today :mad: The UAE are half decent

Was fairly accurate with this post last night
    Originally Posted by irishmover viewpost.gif
    Looking good so far. Might be able to keep them under 200 at this rate. I think we should be able to chase them down easily.

Let me introduce you to Irish Cricket
    Make Easy things Hard
    And Hard things Easy (ish)

Almost uncanny how this prophecy turned out.I had no doubt we would chase down WI score but this was a nail biter from start to finish for me
    131-6

Need to get rid of these asap

As i earlier posted the UAE are a dangerous side and i still think they have an upset in them but we really should have turned the screw on them
    We are now in big trouble

Cant see us chasing down 255+ on this pitch:mad:

So happy i was wrong on this but if it wasn't for Wilson and O'Brien we would be having a completely different debate on this match.

Four matches still to go and i think this will be a wake up call for the lads.Lots of positives came out of that game and i think we will win at least one of the remainder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Nice one to win, had to work hard for it. Looking at the scorecard it seems strange that Dockrell only bowled 7 overs. And not till the 29th over.

They are all on 5 Live Sports Extra, and I'm going to need a way to listen to that, tunnelbear is not working any more on BBC.

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

Nice one to win, had to work hard for it. Looking at the scorecard it seems strange that Dockrell only bowled 7 overs. And not till the 29th over.

Indeed. I guess it was because Stirling was bowling so well.
    I'd have stuck the 2 of them on in tandem. and it was something I was thinking of at 4.30am this morning.

• Advertisement

<snip>

not in work afaik

not in work afaik

Its only an extension so it should get around the usual blocks that IT put in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

IT have taken down the Sky Go Firewall for me.

I asked the boss nicely and he sorted it for me.

not in work afaik

Tunein radio app

Tunein radio app
    in which 5 Live Sports Extra is geolocked for people in ROI when they are broadcasting rights restricted events, like the cricket this morning.

Usually I can get around that with <snip>, but not this morning - and not the last day either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

in which 5 Live Sports Extra is geolocked for people in ROI when they are broadcasting rights restricted events, like the cricket this morning.

Usually I can get around that with Tunnelbear, but not this morning - and not the last day either.

Yeah, I couldn't get it to work either. IMVHO, it's taking things way too far to block radio broadcasts. I can sort of live with the idea of TV rights and obliging people to pay to view.

What's next? - will the powers that be 'put the screws' on the likes of ESPN and text updates.............

But then it seems that the international sports broadcasting industry has a stranglehold on cricket and is partly why the game is unlikely to prosper as it should, closed shops etc

I blame the parents.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Way too much discussion on ways of circumventing copyrights in this thread - please stop it or bans will be handed out, as per the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

After the great result against Sri Lanka I was following this (I won't even pretend I'm anything other than a bandwagon fan). I wasn't watching it but I followed it here and on bbc sport

I was wondering if ye could help me out with a few questions I have. Firstly just from looking at the other teams in the group I'd be guessing today should in theory at least be our easiest game? As in we won't be favourites for any other games will we? All the other teams seem to be ones I'd associate with a tradition of playing cricket?

My main question however is in regards to the rate runs were scored. I can't remember exactly but once we reached about 200 we had maybe 10 overs to go and everyone seemed confident that we'd win but when I worked it out I remember thinking that to win we'd need a run rate per over greater than what we'd managed so far in the game, so how was everyone so confident we'd manage this? I thought traditionally you put your best batters at the start and in the middle of your order and the guys towards the end would be the guys in the team for their bowling ability. So would this not mean you'd expect the runs to dry up towards the end?

And finally, what in the name of god is a power play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

After the great result against Sri Lanka I was following this (I won't even pretend I'm anything other than a bandwagon fan). I wasn't watching it but I followed it here and on bbc sport

I was wondering if ye could help me out with a few questions I have. Firstly just from looking at the other teams in the group I'd be guessing today should in theory at least be our easiest game? As in we won't be favourites for any other games will we? All the other teams seem to be ones I'd associate with a tradition of playing cricket?

My main question however is in regards to the rate runs were scored. I can't remember exactly but once we reached about 200 we had maybe 10 overs to go and everyone seemed confident that we'd win but when I worked it out I remember thinking that to win we'd need a run rate per over greater than what we'd managed so far in the game, so how was everyone so confident we'd manage this? I thought traditionally you put your best batters at the start and in the middle of your order and the guys towards the end would be the guys in the team for their bowling ability. So would this not mean you'd expect the runs to dry up towards the end?

And finally, what in the name of god is a power play?

A power play forces the fielding side to put all bar 2 men (or 3 for the batting power play) in the inner circle making it easier to score runs.

If you have wickets in hand towards the end of a match you can take more risks and score runs more quickly. If you need 20 runs off 12 balls, boundaries can make short work of it.

Advertisement