Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3 Day tour

Options
  • 24-02-2015 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi folks,my cousin in London is big into the classic car scene,he wants to bring his group on a 3 day trip to Ireland.
    Will be arriving through Rosslare,and they want to see west cork and do the ring of kerry. any help in ideas for a route over the 3 days? oh and they are paranoid about secure parking every night!(im not into classic cars,but i presume this is normal)
    so any routes and suggestions of places to stay would be great,
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Only 3 days and so much to see, stick to the coast would probably be your best bet, Lismore in Waterford is worth a visit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Rosslare, Cahir, Mallow, Macroom, Killarney, Dingle Peninsula, Killarney, inland route to Waterville, Kenmare, Castletown-Bere, Schull, Kinsale, Cork, Waterford, Roaslare.

You didn't say what kind of classics but that's doable in any 60's car in 3 days.

Has the advantage that you can cut out any of the peninsulas andh save some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

Red Kev wrote: »
    Rosslare, Cahir, Mallow, Macroom, Killarney, Dingle Peninsula, Killarney, inland route to Waterville, Kenmare, Castletown-Bere, Schull, Kinsale, Cork, Waterford, Roaslare.

You didn't say what kind of classics but that's doable in any 60's car in 3 days.

Has the advantage that you can cut out any of the peninsulas andh save some time.

i think they are all driving various triumphs,thanks for the route idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Sounds like a tall order in three days if you intend to spend any kind of time out of the cars sightseeing at various points. But being petrol heads, I suppose plenty of hours at the wheel each day is what they want so yeah its doable.

I'd make a beeline for somewhere like Skibbereen, taking the most direct route and then concentrate on the Beara peninsula and Ring of Kerry. Then make your way back from Killarney on the final day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

fabvinny wrote: »
    Hi folks,my cousin in London is big into the classic car scene,he wants to bring his group on a 3 day trip to Ireland.
    Will be arriving through Rosslare,and they want to see west cork and do the ring of kerry. any help in ideas for a route over the 3 days? oh and they are paranoid about secure parking every night!(im not into classic cars,but i presume this is normal)
    so any routes and suggestions of places to stay would be great,
    thanks.

I would do the Beara Peninsula rather than the Ring of Kerry. I've driven both numerous times and Beara has much better/interesting driving roads, with towns and villages along the way. The Ring is the "must do" tourist thing and while it's nice, Beara beats it, IMHO.
    It starts out from Kenmare, which has car parking in town, right opposite the police station, but is a very quiet town either way, with an abundance of good bars and restaurants to chose from.

For the "craic" Killarney is probably the place to go, with tons of good parking in the various hotel car parks.

I'm a native (you guessed) so don't hesitate to PM me for any further details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

:D:D

Triumphs?

Ohhh Im soo tempted ......

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

w124man wrote: »
    :D:D

Triumphs?

Ohhh Im soo tempted ......

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

They should join up with a few local Triumph lads and lassies all the same .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

If it was me, I'd head straight to Killarney. I'd do Dingle with Slea Head and Beara. Beara has Healy Pass, Cods Head, Ardgroom and Killmacelogue (spelling may be wrong). All of these are classic Circuit of Ireland and Rally of the Lakes stages. I'd head home from Beara over Molls Gap to Killarney. Heading home I'd be over Borlin down into Bantry and basically follow the Wild Atlantic Way (Sheep's Head, Schull, Union Hall, Rosscarbery, Ardfield, Clon, Ring, Timoleague) and overnight in Kinsale. I'd head back to the ferry via either the Copper Coast or the Vee Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

ianobrien wrote: »
    If it was me, I'd head straight to Killarney. I'd do Dingle with Slea Head and Beara. Beara has Healy Pass, Cods Head, Ardgroom and Killmacelogue (spelling may be wrong). All of these are classic Circuit of Ireland and Rally of the Lakes stages. I'd head home from Beara over Molls Gap to Killarney. Heading home I'd be over Borlin down into Bantry and basically follow the Wild Atlantic Way (Sheep's Head, Schull, Union Hall, Rosscarbery, Ardfield, Clon, Ring, Timoleague) and overnight in Kinsale. I'd head back to the ferry via either the Copper Coast or the Vee Gap.

In three days????
    Those Circuit stages took a whole day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Well, I was allowing two nights in Killarney and one in Kinsale. I guess after getting off the ferry and heading straight to Killarney it will be probably late in the afternoon. Day one around Dingle/Slea Head/Conor Pass. If they don't have enough for two nights in Killarney, I'd start early with the Ring of Kerry counter clockwise and then head to Beara from Kenmare.

Beara is easily done in an afternoon as I've done it clockwise when doing Retro Rallies in a few hours. The route I'd do is Killmacelogue, Ardgroom stage backwards, Cods Head backwards. Tea stop in Castletownbere and Back over Healy Pass and Molls Gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

Plenty to see and do in Kerry, you can't really go wrong! Classic car friendly B+B outside Kenmare: http://www.sheenfallslodge.ie/ Safe overnight parking with a pub quite close with good food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

Bigus wrote: »
    They should join up with a few local Triumph lads and lassies all the same .

I was actually thinking of a car recovery company!

Advertisement