Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

entering canada with old conviction

Options
  • 24-02-2015 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi i was looking at traveling to canada on a holiday but have a dui where the next day i was stopped and test just over the limit while on way to work(stupid thing to do i know but have to deal with it) any way will this show up when i arrive that i have this as i seen canada dont take nicely to any drink driving offence,

basically if i don't say anything will they know

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

For a holiday, you should be fine - you won't be going through full on immigration, just the person who stamps your passport and asks you what you're there for etc.

What was your blood alcohol reading? The immigation rules say you'll be refused:
    if a person has a conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol with the blood alcohol reading in excess of 0.08% the person would be inadmissible under A36(2)(b) of Canada's Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 monkeymagic89

yeah its only for a holiday. was just over the limit when the limit was lowered last time would have been fine only for they lowered it ,
    so im guessing keep my mouth shout and don't say a word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Yip. You're not emigrating so you're very unlikely to be asked

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

COYVB wrote: »
    Yip. You're not emigrating so you're very unlikely to be asked

It's possible to go through rehabilitation, except if the sentence was life imprisonment. I would not recommend visiting the country without having successfully applied for criminal rehabilitation first.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

COYVB wrote: »
    For a holiday, you should be fine - you won't be going through full on immigration, just the person who stamps your passport and asks you what you're there for etc.

What was your blood alcohol reading? The immigation rules say you'll be refused:

Anyone convicted of drink-driving, with a blood alcohol level over 0.08 (breath alcohol level over 0.35 mg/l of breath) will generally need to successfully apply for rehabilitation before travelling to Canada for any purpose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement