Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City vs Barcelona 19:45 KO

• 24-02-2015 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

No match thread yet? Christ this place silent when there are no Liverpool/Man United matches on.

Anyway...

Man City v Barcelona

KO 19:45

Venue: Etihad Stadium Date: Tuesday, 24 February Kick-off: 19:45 GMT

TEAM NEWS

Luis Suarez looks set to play his first match in England since leaving Liverpool to join Barcelona in the summer, in Tuesday's Champions League last-16 first leg at Manchester City.
    Barcelona boss Luis Enrique has an almost full squad to select from, with only defenders Douglas and Thomas Vermaelen missing.
    City striker Wilfried Bony could make his first start for the hosts.
    Yaya Toure is suspended but James Milner is fit after a knee injury.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hopefully City can dump them out but I think Barca, the weekend game apart, have looked very good over the last few weeks.

Will be a tough game either way but I'd expect Barca to just edge it over the two legs, hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If City have any chance of qualifying they'll need to keep a clean sheet here. But I can't see that happening.

Maybe a 1-1 or 1-2. Can't see City doing it over two games. Even if City win 2-0 I'd still fancy Barca at Nou Camp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Think Barca will progress fairly handy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Can't see anything other than a Man City 3 goal lead

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Can't see anything other than a Man City 3 goal lead

Should have gone to specsavers mate :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Spoilt for choice tonight. I'd love to see this but I'm not sure I can miss the other one. Decisions. Decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Unfortunately, I have to work. Really annoyed I'll miss this one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Should have gone to specsavers mate :pac:

we'll see

Hyzepher wrote: »
    we'll see

I'll look forward to seeing your City -2 14/1 bet seeing as you seem so confident

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a fairly cagey affair, maybe 1-1. Both sides will be wary of making a mistake at this early stage.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I'll look forward to seeing your City -2 14/1 bet seeing as you seem so confident

I've made match predictions, both right and wrong but have never placed a bet in my life. Am I doing it wrong? :P

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I've made match predictions, both right and wrong but have never placed a bet in my life. Am I doing it wrong? :P

If you're really confident of something why not get some money from it? :pac:

Also he's a MOD in poker so I imagine he likes a gamble :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

“Fear?” said City’s captain. “We don’t fear them. You don’t go in at this level fearing strikers.

“We want to play against them. It will be the fourth time in a year. There’s nothing new to worry us, it’s a case of having the whole team at a very high level.

“They’re a special team with special players, of course. I think their ability is not about hurting you all game -
    you can have tougher games when you go to Stoke City.

Oh Vincent. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This is possibly the worst possible time to be facing Barca. City need to do what Malaga did. Park the bus, ride their luck a little. Keep it scoreless. That way in the second leg Barca have to score two for every one City score. If City allow Barca space in the last third of the pitch, even if only for counter attacks, they'll be demolished.

If you're really confident of something why not get some money from it? :pac:

Also he's a MOD in poker so I imagine he likes a gamble :P

Hyzepher, you place that bet and make some €€€€€ for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Turtwig wrote: »
    This is possibly the worst possible time to be facing Barca. City need to do what Malaga did. Park the bus, ride their luck a little. Keep it scoreless. That way in the second leg Barca have to score two for every one City score. If City allow Barca space in the last third of the pitch, even if only for counter attacks, they'll be demolished.
    Eh no. They only have to score one more goal than City.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Eh no. They only have to score one more goal than City.

Which is the same thing. 2 Goals for every one goal scored is one goal more.

Edit: D'oh. Brainfart of epic proportions.

No it's not. Are you trying to claim that Barca will have to score 8 goals if City score 4? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

800px-paris_tuileries_garden_facepalm_statue.jpg?itok=dB6RXqYH

Well, he doesn't mod the Maths forum. I'm sure he knows what a Grass type pokemon is weak to though. :D

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    No it's not. Are you trying to claim that Barca will have to score 8 goals if City score 4? :p

Yep and I do believe this is the second year (not sure if they were concurrent) where I've made this exact same mistake.

I'd like a new brain please.

"Turtwig uses Brain. It's not very effective......" :P

Edit: D'oh. Brainfart of epic proportions.

Who's a silly billy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

B-oRgheVEAI1CRp.png

Barca XI for tonight apparently.

Aguero 7/4 to score anytime at home. Can't resist that!

Yep and I do believe this is the second year (not sure if they were concurrent) where I've made this exact same mistake.

I'd like a new brain please.
    Clearly you didn't go through concussion protocol after the first one! :D

"Turtwig uses Brain. It's not very effective......" :P

Trainer gave Turtwig caffeine.
    Turtwig woke up.

:D

Incredibly impressive midfield and forward line.

That back 4 though......issues there.

Expect this to be a high scoring one and Barca to edge it.

City 2 - 3 Barca

• Advertisement

Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany (C), Demichelis, Clichy, Fernando, Milner, Nasri, Silva, Dzeko, Aguero

City XI

I kinda fancy City to edge this tonight. The big win at the weekend will have given players a lot of confidence and I think they'll get through this one without Yaya. Second leg to be a cracker in the Nou Camp.

Is that Milner in central midfield again? Interesting call...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I see Suarez scoring in this. Didn't people say Messi got nervous against PL teams and yes he did prove them incorrect but it's more likely Suarez will be more at ease.

Is that Milner in central midfield again? Interesting call...

Quite an aggressive line up going 442 without both Fernandinho and Fernando. Good to see Pelle setting us up to have a real go at their back 4, but I still don't fancy us really.

My chosen bet for tonight is handicap draw (1.0) at 11/4.

eternal wrote: »
    I see Suarez scoring in this. Didn't people say Messi got nervous against PL teams and yes he did prove them incorrect but it's more likely Suarez will be more at ease.

Suarez, Neymar and Messi all have the dribbling skills and pace to destroy Kompany and Demichelis. If city don't play defensively and sit deep, they will ship five goals. Chelsea have proven that an organised defence can frustrate Barca so I think a 442 is a mistake personally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

2-0 to Barca in cagey anti climatic affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Not really looking forward to tonight, to be honest. The best I'm hoping for is that we're not totally out of it before the second leg. Putting on my optimist's hat, I'll hesitantly go for a 1-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Wow that is a seriously attacking line up by barca in an away first leg game. Only busquets protecting a very questionable defence. For that reason I can definitely see city scoring 2/3 if they have a real go.

2-2. And I don't really think it will be good enough for city

Suarez, Neymar and Messi all have the dribbling skills and pace to destroy Kompany and Demichelis. If city don't play defensively and sit deep, they will ship five goals. Chelsea have proven that an organised defence can frustrate Barca so I think a 442 is a mistake personally.
    The ball has to get to the front players in order for Barcelona to score goals.

Some very interesting battles tonight. How does their full backs do against Nasri and Silva? Milner will be a tough matchup for Busquets, right type of player to put in to keep him busy.

Fernando is hugely important tonight watching Rakitic. Zabaleta v Iniesta is another good battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Poor team choice from Pellegrini imo, 4-4-2 against Barcelona is criminal.

Very narrow with Silva and Nasri and I expect them to be tucked in and deep to stop the Barca midfield 3 from playing. Milner has proven his quality in big games but a huge display on Fernando and Nasri is needed on the defensive side. Silva on the left will have his work cut out with Dani Alves, would have had him in behind Aguero instead.

Can't see anything other then a Barca win.

• Advertisement

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Poor team choice from Pellegrini imo, 4-4-2 against Barcelona is criminal.

Very narrow with Silva and Nasri and I expect them to be tucked in and deep to stop the Barca midfield 3 from playing. Milner has proven his quality in big games but a huge display on Fernando and Nasri is needed on the defensive side. Silva on the left will have his work cut out with Dani Alves, would have had him in behind Aguero instead.

Can't see anything other then a Barca win.
    Barcelona 0 Malaga(4-4-2) 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

eagle eye wrote: »
    Barcelona 0 Malaga(4-4-2) 1

They put everyone behind the ball, City are going with a 4-4-2 and actually going to attack them i'd say.

blueser wrote: »
    Not really looking forward to tonight, to be honest. The best I'm hoping for is that we're not totally out of it before the second leg. Putting on my optimist's hat, I'll hesitantly go for a 1-1.

I see what you're saying but these are the games you have to look forward to as a fan.

At home against one of the best teams in the world. Thats what it's all about

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Wavering confidence in this Jekyll and Hyde Barcelona side, especially if City go 1-0 up.

City have started well.....

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Great chance from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Mascherano nailed on for a yellow card at some point

That touch by Neymar.

Suarez looks like he's enjoying his food in spain. The away jersey doesn't suit him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

My goodness Suarez

• Advertisement
Advertisement