Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

got rid of sky tv, whats the best free alternative?

• 24-02-2015 2:29pm

hi guys,
    getting rid of my sky subscription so I need an alternative.
    I will have the free to air channels through my sky box I assume, but we will miss the record function a lot, is there any way of recording externally from the sky box of do I need a new type of box?
    Also if I get Netflix is there a box that can connect my tv to the web so I can view it of do I have to connect laptop vie hdmi lead?

ps my tv is about 3 years old and has free to air tuner but doesn't say saorview, we have an areil up on roof just needs to be connected again, wire is off it for some reason (rented house)

sorry for the long question, any help would be gratefully appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You can get boxes which will record onto an external hard disk, plug disk into usb port on back.

some boxes will be saorview approves with satellite functionality, so you get epg for saorview and now/next for satellite channels

More expensive boxes will have epg for satellite and saorview - see the Amiko Alien threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

L_mack wrote: »
    hi guys,
    getting rid of my sky subscription so I need an alternative.
    I will have the free to air channels through my sky box I assume, but we will miss the record function a lot, is there any way of recording externally from the sky box of do I need a new type of box?
    Also if I get Netflix is there a box that can connect my tv to the web so I can view it of do I have to connect laptop vie hdmi lead?

ps my tv is about 3 years old and has free to air tuner but doesn't say saorview, we have an areil up on roof just needs to be connected again, wire is off it for some reason (rented house)

sorry for the long question, any help would be gratefully appreciated

I don't think you can record from a non-sub Sky box.

Another option would be a saorview box and a freesat box.

A Humax freesat+ is very good for the UK channels - simply plugs into the Sky cables - alllows you to record and gives you the best interface. Bit pricey but lovely device.

For Saorview a Triax 212S connected to your aerial is fine for the 8 or so Irish channels. Connecting the *right* USB stick or external powered hard drive is adequate for small amounts of recording.

For Netflix a Roku box would do the job over wifi.

The only thing is now you have 3/4 remotes and switching between HDMI for each box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

odckdo wrote: »
    I don't think you can record from a non-sub Sky box.

Another option would be a saorview box and a freesat box.

A Humax freesat+ is very good for the UK channels - simply plugs into the Sky cables - alllows you to record and gives you the best interface. Bit pricey but lovely device.

For Saorview a Triax 212S connected to your aerial is fine for the 8 or so Irish channels. Connecting the *right* USB stick or external powered hard drive is adequate for small amounts of recording.

For Netflix a Roku box would do the job over wifi.

The only thing is now you have 3/4 remotes and switching between HDMI for each box.

You used to be able to, but you had to keep $ky for the privilege, think it was something like £5 or £10 per month. They could re-enable the recording ability on your account even if you were just using the box as a freeview system

Not sure if this is still possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

odckdo wrote: »

For about €140 you can get the alien 2
    saorview & satelite in 1 box with only 1 remote plugs straight into your existing sky dish
    connect it to the internet and you get 7 day epg for sat and saorview
    Plug in a usb hard drive and you can record 2 sat stations while watching rte as this is a triple tuner

you will of course need to reconnect the UHF aerial for saorview

If your hell bent on keeping the sky box you may possibly be able to record to a dvd recorder via the scart out but as already suggested too many remotes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

faced with multi remote situation, got one of the multi remotes from lidl, works tv, sky box, dvd recorder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement