Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know where An Post repackages parcels sent from overseas?

Options
  • 24-02-2015 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Just received a parcel in the mail that is completely repackaged differently from the photo of the parcel the eBay sender mailed it from abroad. Does anybody here know, where in Ireland the repackaging of Parcels is done?

Would it be in my local post office? Or in one of the sorting centres in Cork, Port Laoise, Dublin or Athlone ?

Thank you very much for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ask your local sorting office.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,590 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Spectre92 wrote: »
    Just received a parcel in the mail that is completely repackaged differently from the photo of the parcel the eBay sender mailed it from abroad. Does anybody here know, where in Ireland the repackaging of Parcels is done?

Would it be in my local post office? Or in one of the sorting centres in Cork, Port Laoise, Dublin or Athlone ?

Thank you very much for any help.

Could it have been opened by customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Maybe the eBay sender sent you a generic photo he sends to everybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,040 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They don't, so nowhere.

Customs usually just tape packages back together terribly, if that was the case. Its always marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Spectre92

Could it have been opened by customs?
    It could have. I'm not certain or that familiar with international shipping handling. There's definitely something missing from it ( the Parcel ) however, so I was hoping someone might know here, where these things get repackaged.

I know there are sorting offfices in Cork, Dublin, Athlone & Port Laoise, but the An Post Website doesn't say if they're reparceled there.

• Advertisement

JDxtra wrote: »
    Maybe the eBay sender sent you a generic photo he sends to everybody?
    No it had my name, address, phone number & everything on the outter packaging. The one that arrived here has been completely redone, with An Post Labels, different box.

L1011 wrote: »
    They don't, so nowhere.

Customs usually just tape packages back together terribly, if that was the case. Its always marked.
    It's definitely been repackaged ( All An Post labeling on it )& it was delivered by An Post & not the courier of which it was ordered to come by. So they definitely repackaged it. I'd need to contact where ever it was for item parts missing, but can't necessarily go pointing the finger at my local post office when I'm guessing they don't do that type of work there & have been more than good with my post all along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Dr Bill

It's not An Post policy to re package any parcel. If it's damaged in transit then it will be taped in order to secure contents,if it is badly damaged then it will be sealed in a clear plastic bag before delivery to customer.
    Foreign parcels are examined by Customs and are re sealed with tape clearly marked opened or examined by Customs.

It's definitely been repackaged ( All An Post labeling on it )& it was delivered by An Post & not the courier of which it was ordered to come by. So they definitely repackaged it. I'd need to contact where ever it was for item parts missing, but can't necessarily go pointing the finger at my local post office when I'm guessing they don't do that type of work there & have been more than good with my post all along.

If it was sent by courier, An Post would never have had their hands on it at all.

The website won't have anything about repackaging because they don't do it.

It is up to the sender to deal with An Post if something is missing, not you. They, as sender, have the contract and not the receiver.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    If it was sent by courier, An Post would never have had their hands on it at all.

The website won't have anything about repackaging because they don't do it.
    Hmm . . Interesting . . What I've got here in front me, anyway, is the exact same STICKER ( My address, Courier name etc) from what is shown on the eBay seller's photo.

However,
    This sticker has been cut off, and sellotaped to a new box, and then, a new sticker, with my address on an An Post Label has been stuck down again, on top of that.

Dr Bill wrote: »
    It's not An Post policy to re package any parcel. If it's damaged in transit then it will be taped in order to secure contents,if it is badly damaged then it will be sealed in a clear plastic bag before delivery to customer.
    Foreign parcels are examined by Customs and are re sealed with tape clearly marked opened or examined by Customs.
    What I've got here is the exact same STICKER from what is shown on the eBay seller's photo.
    But This sticker has been cut off, and sellotaped to a new box, and then, a new sticker, with my address on an An Post Label has been stuck down again, on top of that.

Hmm . . Interesting . . What I've got here in front me, anyway, is the exact same STICKER ( My address, Courier name etc) from what is shown on the eBay seller's photo.

However,
    This sticker has been cut off, and sellotaped to a new box, and then, a new sticker, with my address on an An Post Label has been stuck down again, on top of that.

That sounds like the courier couldn't be bothered delivering and decided to save by posting it to you.
    But again, this is for the sender to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

If the item came via a courier I cannot see how An Post had their hands on it. An POst do not repackage any parcel unless it has been damaged beyond repair and it is normally put into a clear bag and sealed.

I am guessing the seller either sent you a picture of a different parcel with your address stuck onto it or else bought the item from a irish seller and got them to ship directly with you.

Either way it is up to the seller to chase up the missing item not you. Your contract is with the seller.His contract is with the delievery service.

Dr Bill wrote: »
    That sounds like the courier couldn't be bothered delivering and decided to save by posting it to you.
    But again, this is for the sender to sort out.
    Thanks for this response actually. Come to think of it, that is a very likely cause of what happened here. Beats me why the courier would open the parcel, put everything in a new box ( the new box is like a professional office supplies box that you'd buy in bulk ) just to resend it again, he could've just slapped a new An Post sticker, over the old box & kept everything in tact. I know it would be considered the seller's fault, but it could be a lot easier to fix from my end if I could get in touch with whoever the courier was. hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The thing is, the company is not obligied to deal with you regarding the lost ite,. The seller has a contract with them, not you.

Miaireland wrote: »
    If the item came via a courier I cannot see how An Post had their hands on it. An POst do not repackage any parcel unless it has been damaged beyond repair and it is normally put into a clear bag and sealed.

I am guessing the seller either sent you a picture of a different parcel with your address stuck onto it or else bought the item from a irish seller and got them to ship directly with you.

Either way it is up to the seller to chase up the missing item not you. Your contract is with the seller.His contract is with the delievery service.
    Yeah item with Guitar parts came by An Post & has been handled with stickers by them, for sure. Underneath all the stickers is the original sticker shown in the eBay photo.

Another poster mentioned it could be, not An Post, but the individual courier, who opened the Parcel, took the guitar parts out, repackaged it himself & sent it to An Post to send to me. All in all that makes me feel really uncomfortable knowing they'd get opened & mishandled like that via Courier.

I know it's the eBay sellers 'fault' if it goes to a case, but this is really really sucky considering there's no way a courier would own the mistake of losing or leaving out parts if he repackaged them of his own accord. I could simply be a thing of the part fell of his table. ( For whatever damned reason he had to repackage the thing anyway.)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

For those who say that An Post is never involved with packages sent by courier, that's not necessarily true.

A few weeks ago I bought something from Germany and got a dispatch email from the seller with a DHL tracking number. DHL showed it moving inside Germany, until it got to Koln, where it said "The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization", with a (useless) link for An Post. When it arrived, it had An Post stickers but I don't think the box looked like it had been repacked. I just checked the DHL tracking and it has been updated after delivery to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Another poster mentioned it could be, not An Post, but the individual courier, who opened the Parcel, took the guitar parts out, repackaged it himself & sent it to An Post to send to me. All in all that makes me feel really uncomfortable knowing they'd get opened & mishandled like that via Courier.

I know it's the eBay sellers 'fault' if it goes to a case, but this is really really sucky considering there's no way a courier would own the mistake of losing or leaving out parts if he repackaged them of his own accord. I could simply be a thing of the part fell of his table. ( For whatever damned reason he had to repackage the thing anyway.)

When people refer to "a courier" they mean a company like DHL, FedEx,DPD etc., not an individual. All the courier companies handle thousands of parcels per day, they don't get involved in repackaging damaged ones and running down to the post office with them.

An Post do act as local agents for many overseas couriers, including Royal Mail/Parcelforce, so Its not unusual for a couriered item to be delivered by An Post, however, if packaging fails on an item, an post would usually wrap it up in pallet wrap & tape well enough to get it to its destination. In this case they would normally put a label on it to indicate this.

It's EXTREMELY unlikely a multinational logistics company opened your package, robbed a few bits out of it, and then repackaged it to send on to you. Check with the seller before you go chasing your tail with An Post.

mmg0305 wrote: »
    For those who say that An Post is never involved with packages sent by courier, that's not necessarily true.

A few weeks ago I bought something from Germany and got a dispatch email from the seller with a DHL tracking number. DHL showed it moving inside Germany, until it got to Koln, where it said "The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization", with a (useless) link for An Post. When it arrived, it had An Post stickers but I don't think the box looked like it had been repacked. I just checked the DHL tracking and it has been updated after delivery to me.

DHL is owned by Deutsche Post. The domestic parcels service in Germany is also, as a result, called DHL. Its delivered by the local post service in every country outside Germany.

This is something to be wary of when buying anything from Germany that says its being sent DHL; find out *which* DHL.

• Advertisement
Advertisement