Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with pulled muscles

• 24-02-2015 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Have a 1 year old cross breed (collie x JRT), bit of a dramaqueen, got home last night and thought he was on deaths door, he couldn't move his back legs and was dragging himself along on his belly whimpering, I brought him to the vet who was quite abrupt and told me he was fine and just to give him calpol. :confused:

I'm not happy with that tbh, he wasn't much better this morning when I gave him his second dose of calpol, and I'm just wondering if this actyally sounds like a pulled muscle or what else I can do to help him heal, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I would get him to a different vet straight away. That is not normal behaviour even for a drama queen ( I have one of those myself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

one of my dogs had very similar, just running and lost the use of his back legs and was dragging them along behind him. He ended up having to have crate rest for 6 weeks, the vet couldn't find what was wrong, but he's still not 100%, even 2 years later, they think it was spinal. So I would definitely get to a different vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Personally I wouldn't be giving a dog human grade medication, even if it is recommended by a vet, vets don't know everything. Get a second opinion... or perhaps a new vet altogether would be my first choice.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It was 11:30 last night, so had to take him to the on call vet. I will try find a better vet this evening. Felt like he was quite annoyed at being called out tbh, said dogs of his ages got it a lot :confused:

It's just a balls now having to bring him to another vet after giving your man last night 85 euro to be told to take calpol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

VonVix wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't be giving a dog human grade medication, even if it is recommended by a vet, vets don't know everything. Get a second opinion... or perhaps a new vet altogether would be my first choice.

I have a young terrier who is on 3 different medications for his nerve pain... 2 of them are human grade, neurontin and calpol. They act differently on dogs but are effective for what they are prescribed for. When it comes to medication I will follow a trusted vets advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Definitely go to another vet. I'm surprised that he didn't do x-rays considering the symptoms you've described. Could he have gotten out?

Personally, I don't think I'd go to that vet again. Sounds like he was in a rush to get you out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Id say it was something to do with his back, especially as both his back legs were affected. Thats really bad treatment you got from that vet and I cant believe he didnt advise you to follow things up and get to the root of the problem. Hope its nothing too serious and you get on ok with your normal vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Went home last night and he was bounding around the house not a bother on him

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Went home last night and he was bounding around the house not a bother on him

Ha ha, typical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Just be careful he doesn't over do it - as I always reply my dog walked out of the vets 5 hours after having the bone in his leg cut and reset with pins and plates. Animals are good are masking their pain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement