Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To a NYT Best Selling Author

Options
2»

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 19 Verified rep AJ Jacobs

I'm sorry I didn't recognize the name immediately but somebody mentioned the Ted Talk (One of my favourites , up there with Zefrank) about when you lived according to biblical precepts for over a year. My question is, was there something you learned from the bible that you have incorporated as part of you lifestyle now ?

Thanks! I've incorporated lots from that year. I think I mentioned gratitude in an earlier question. I do like the Jewish rituals, like Passover and Hanukkah. I'm still agnostic, but I like the rituals and the community and the starchy foods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

eternal wrote: »
    Hi! I would like to know about getting a first book out. I'm published in poetry and it seems to be the norm to win competitions which then aid you in publishing a collection. Can you advise me on getting over this hurdle and how would someone know if they are on the right track with their writing?

Why am I not being answered.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Hi AJ,
    It's a few years since I read "The Year of Living Biblically" but I really enjoyed it (I like Ecclesiastes as well!).

Have you tried growing an Old Testament style beard since you wrote the book? More seriously, much of your writing has revolved around documenting your various lifestyle experiments, so I'd imagine that you are extremely disciplined a keeping a diary or journal? Do you have any advice for someone who has tried and failed to start a habit of writing something every day?

Thanks for doing this and every success with the Global Family reunion, it's for a great cause.

Thanks! I do write stuff in my journal every day. (I don't want to use 'journal' as a verb, though I suppose people do nowadays).
    For me, the key is to keep the expectations of yourself low. Just tell yourself you're going to take notes, nothing fancy, just write down impressions and other details so you don't forget. If there's no pressure to write something great, it's easier.

I wish I knew more about poetry publishing. I know nothing!
    And the publishing world is changing so fast, it's hard to know what is the best way to get a first book out.
    Nowadays, it seems that getting a popular blog or huge twitter following is actually the best way to get a book deal. For better or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

A quick read of your biography in Davs post tells me some of your books contain elements of 'self-help'. In general, in what way do you think self-help books are beneficial? I always felt that these can be simply be money spinners for publishers as opposed to being of any real tangible value to the reader. This is parodied in an episode of Family Guy where Brian writes a book called 'wish it, want it, do it' in a few hours and it sells millions of copies.

• Advertisement

AJ Jacobs wrote: »
    I wish I knew more about poetry publishing. I know nothing!
    And the publishing world is changing so fast, it's hard to know what is the best way to get a first book out.
    Nowadays, it seems that getting a popular blog or huge twitter following is actually the best way to get a book deal. For better or worse.

For some reason Twitter hates me. I suppose it's the competitions or nothing then. Alright, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

How do you feel about people who download your work without paying for it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Honestly, I've got nothing. I'm just writing to bookmark this thread and read all the responses to the good questions others think up of.

Why didn't you just follow the thread? :confused::confused::confused:

Anyways, my question. Does your hand ever get sore from all the writing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Careful now, they're under no obligation to answer lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I started reading The Year of Living Biblically because of this thread: enjoying it so far! You mention that you spoke with a Southern twang for a month at the age of 12, the encyclopaedia project, this one: have you always completely immersed yourself in projects? I can't imagine you half doing anything!

Also if there was one project your wife would have you take on what do you think it would be?

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    A quick read of your biography in Davs post tells me some of your books contain elements of 'self-help'. In general, in what way do you think self-help books are beneficial? I always felt that these can be simply be money spinners for publishers as opposed to being of any real tangible value to the reader. This is parodied in an episode of Family Guy where Brian writes a book called 'wish it, want it, do it' in a few hours and it sells millions of copies.

I try not to be overbearing w/ the self-help. I just write what has worked for me, and people can try the strategy to see if it works for them. Also, I'm a fan of evidence-based self-help. There is such a thing! On the other hand, books like the Secret are just bunkum.

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Hey

So I have to admit I have never read any of your books but following this AMA I decided to do a little research on you :o

I came across this video on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7IF6OSuUoE
    You say you "gained great respect for it [The Bible]"
    Can I ask, what in particular caused you to 'gain respect' for it?
    You've also mentioned John Green on this thread earlier, can I ask how did you find him as a person? Is he nice, mean, funny, etc.?

Very nice man! At least to me. And also very funny, of course. I knew him before he was super-famous, when we were both writers for Mental Floss magazine

cyning wrote: »
    I started reading The Year of Living Biblically because of this thread: enjoying it so far! You mention that you spoke with a Southern twang for a month at the age of 12, the encyclopaedia project, this one: have you always completely immersed yourself in projects? I can't imagine you half doing anything!

Also if there was one project your wife would have you take on what do you think it would be?

Yes! I'm a fan of total immersion, even as a kid. And I think she'd want me to spend a year eating at all the restaurants in NYC. Though actually that would take several years.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Careful now, they're under no obligation to answer lol

ok, so it's normal to answer about poxy cheese but when an actual writer talks to them, no response? Us pen people gots to stick together. Anyway I got my reply so all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

There is an element of stand up comedy to your talks I have noticed. Like your "I am jewish in the same way the olive garden is italian", your glazed donut comment, and the "We live in a noisy world with planes, and trains and Bill OReilly".

Have you actually done stand up rather than book talks, and how did it go? Maybe a year of public speaking could be the next book :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I'm curious, you say you're a fan of immersion, do you ever suffer withdrawal symptoms after immersion? Like when you finished the encyclopaedias, did you have big gaps in your day that you found hard to fill? After the year of living biblically, was it slightly anti climatic after it ended?

Have you considered a language immersion project? A year of not speaking english any more. Where yuo have to learn and get by in a new language.

Would be interesting from a human interest side where you have to live the life of many US immigrants who show up with no english.

Be interesting from a linguistic side to see how proficient you can get in a language in that time if you solely rely on it.

There would be some great political angles on it too, highlighting many political issues in the US.

It CERTAINLY fits into your personal development motivation for your projects. And the "end all racism" angle your current project is taking.

And the potential for comedy is - as with most of your project ideas - endless.

I have spent some time since posting this post thinking about how you would show up home one day WITHOUT announcing the new project...... And you having a simple conversation about what you want for dinner :)

LizT wrote: »
    I'm curious, you say you're a fan of immersion, do you ever suffer withdrawal symptoms after immersion? Like when you finished the encyclopaedias, did you have big gaps in your day that you found hard to fill? After the year of living biblically, was it slightly anti climatic after it ended?

Absolutely! After I stopped living by the Bible, I felt strangely unanchored. I'm a big fan of freedom of choice, but I've also learned there's something appealing about freedom FROM choice. Having a sturdy architecture within which you live your life.

Have you considered a language immersion project? A year of not speaking english any more. Where yuo have to learn and get by in a new language.

Would be interesting from a human interest side where you have to live the life of many US immigrants who show up with no english.

Be interesting from a linguistic side to see how proficient you can get in a language in that time if you solely rely on it.

There would be some great political angles on it too, highlighting many political issues in the US.

It CERTAINLY fits into your personal development motivation for your projects. And the "end all racism" angle your current project is taking.

And the potential for comedy is - as with most of your project ideas - endless.

I have spent some time since posting this post thinking about how you would show up home one day WITHOUT announcing the new project...... And you having a simple conversation about what you want for dinner :)

I think it's a great idea. My wife might not be so feliz (that's another language. See? Getting into it already). One of my favorite books in recent years is called In the Land of Invented Languages by Arika Okrent. It's about languages like Esperanto and Klingon

There is an element of stand up comedy to your talks I have noticed. Like your "I am jewish in the same way the olive garden is italian", your glazed donut comment, and the "We live in a noisy world with planes, and trains and Bill OReilly".

Have you actually done stand up rather than book talks, and how did it go? Maybe a year of public speaking could be the next book :)

I've never done standup comedy. But I'm a big fan of the format. I like all the usual suspects: Louis CK, Mike Birbiglia, Jim Gaffigan, etc.

• Advertisement

You have said "freedom FROM choice" before.... not on this thread but in one of your vids. I am kinda curious what you mean by this or have you a linkable article about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I've never done standup comedy. But I'm a big fan of the format. I like all the usual suspects: Louis CK, Mike Birbiglia, Jim Gaffigan, etc.

Have you met the best Ireland has offered?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxo81Ok9Urk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I think it's a great idea. My wife might not be so feliz (that's another language. See? Getting into it already). One of my favorite books in recent years is called In the Land of Invented Languages by Arika Okrent. It's about languages like Esperanto and Klingon

Youd like an irish american guy called Des Bishop, hes a comedian that learned the irish language so he could do a stand up show in irish. He seems to annoy some people in ireland for some reason, I dont know why, I think hes a pretty good guy.
    He then went on to live in china and immersed himself in the language all because he wanted to perform a full stand up show in Chinese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I wanna extend a big thank you to AJ for giving up so much of his time to talk to us. We can all sign up for the Global Family Reunion here to help complete the project and follow the its progress as they get closer to their big event in June.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement